Why don't we utilise the loan system more?

Irrational.

Ole has acknowledged that we're thin on the ground, and this would be a perfect opportunity to get some quality in without breaking the bank in the way we did for Maguire etc.

Surely there are some good squad options we can get on loan that would be an improvement on Shaw, Jones, Lingard and Pereira? It would be a temporary but effective measure until the rebuild in the summer.

We've used it well in the past with Henrik Larsson being a particular success, and we were able to offload Falcao without any hassle. The likes of Chelsea have also used it well with the loan and eventual signing of Kovacic, PSG with Icardi (who has been a raging success) and Bayern with Coutinho.

So why aren't we using it more? It would be a win-win situation for us being able to get quality acquisitions which we could end up buying if they're a success, or just letting them return to their parent club if they flop.

Marcelinho87

Ole has acknowledged that we're thin on the ground, and this would be a perfect opportunity to get some quality in without breaking the bank in the way we did for Maguire etc.

Surely there are some good squad options we can get on loan that would be an improvement on Shaw, Jones, Lingard and Pereira? It would be a temporary but effective measure until the rebuild in the summer.

We've used it well in the past with Henrik Larsson being a particular success, and we were able to offload Falcao without any hassle. The likes of Chelsea have also used it well with the loan and eventual signing of Kovacic, and Bayern with Coutinho.

So why aren't we using it more? It would be a win-win situation for us being able to get quality acquisitions which we could end up buying if they're a success, or just letting them return to their parent club if they flop.
Who would you propose we could get? I like the idea but I genuinely can't think of anybody that is available?

James Ward

I'd take Emre Can for a few million on loan and probably the Benfica lad even though I know nothing about him. Has to be better than wat we have

Irrational.

Who would you propose we could get? I like the idea but I genuinely can't think of anybody that is available?
There are quite a few top class players gathering dust at the CL clubs that would vastly improve us - James Rodriguez and Jovic at Madrid, Ousmane Dembele at Barca (we can try), Rabiot, Can... if it doesn't work out we don't lose anything.

Son

I’d happily take James Rodriguez on a short term loan. He is > Pereira, Mata and Lingard.

If Pogba is destined for Madrid then let’s see if Jovic fancies warming our bench for a season as a token of goodwill too...

Both would improve our squad and could turn out to be loyal players if they enjoy their football here.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
On the plus side, we're not any competition for the European elite at the moment :lol: so the suggestion might actually be a good one.

A couple of challenges, as mentioned above, is obviously the availability of players, first and foremost (the ones mentioned in the OP are usually a coming together of perfect circumstances - loaning top class players are an exception, not the norm) and secondary - we're (supposedly) not skint, so we should be able to sign the players we want and who are available.

But considering the state of our squad, I'd rather we loaned a couple if we're not planning on buying, or if none of our permanent targets are available. Sniffing around the squads of say Juve, Bayern, PSG, Madrid, Barca etc. could give us a couple of options for a loan, at least. I guess a few other factors come at play as well - loan fees, wages, and these days, loaning clubs almost want to insert a commitment to buy after the loan period has ended, meaning loans are actually quite expensive as well.

Red_toad

I'd take Emre Can for a few million on loan and probably the Benfica lad even though I know nothing about him. Has to be better than wat we have
Cann won’t join United. Lad from
Benfica may possibly be far worse than what we already have. Sanches was far higher rated and highly regarded yet turned out to be a pile, very hard to judge Portuguese players.

Tarrou

I reckon someone on a Bayern forum made the same suggestion which resulted in their bid for Zaha

Sylar

He wasn't on loan, he'd bought out his contract.
Oh fair. It always felt like a loan at the time. And yeah, I agree his first game was really good and his Spurs game was really affected by Schmeichel being injured.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Oh fair. It always felt like a loan at the time. And yeah, I agree his first game was really good and his Spurs game was really affected by Schmeichel being injured.
SAF wanted to extend Prunier's trial after the Tottenham match, which the player himself refused, but if he'd been half as bad as the press made him out to be @ White Hart Lane it's unlikely SAF would have made him the offer, even with most of the first-team defenders out injured at the time.

Jibbs

Take Osmane Dembele from Barca for an year with option to buy!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I can't believe this thread was actually meaning loans IN!

Zlatattack

Well we do really. We loaned Zlatan initially didn't we? And Ole.

Also we managed to get rid of Sanchez on loan. If he's back next season we ought to loan him to a league 1 side, but pay 100% of his wages.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?

Also we managed to get rid of Sanchez on loan. If he's back next season we ought to loan him to a league 1 side, but pay 100% of his wages.
Nah it was a free transfer.

We could do with a striker on loan though. Dunno who, like...

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Because we're a terribly run club and we don't really utilize any system we'll; except getting mister potato sponsorship money and an official club pillow brand.
If they can go into any of the top 6 they probably won't be going on loan.

MalcolmTucker

Mandzukic would have been a decent option once we sold Lukaku.

Great professional and workrate, would be happy being on the bench and would have been a good plan b.

LInkash

We need to gain something from that, maybe we could get the league one side to pay him a tiny proportion, similar to the average wage there, so like 0.05% of his real wages.

Zlatattack

We need to gain something from that, maybe we could get the league one side to pay him a tiny proportion, similar to the average wage there, so like 0.05% of his real wages.
I think he'd benefit from having lumps kicked out of him for a year.

Strelok

It's a great idea tbh.

Arthur hasn't been playing much this season and got down in the pecking order with the arrival of De Jong. He's on 60 £k a week. It'd be great if we could loan him till the end of th season imo, even if we have to pay some loan fee.

And Douglas Costa or Bernardeschi from Juventus seems a great loan too. Both are RW and haven't been playing much this season. Would love one of those two, or both here.

Last edited:

Irrational.

With us now missing a core of players for a large chunk of the season (Rashy, McTominay, Pogba), and players simply not good enough even as squad players (Pereira, Lingard) with only ten days of the transfer window remaining, loaning a few squad level players seems like the best bet of us not sliding further down the table.

Alongside buying Bruno, I'd definitely look to loan another striker, midfielder and winger. That's too optimistic though, at a bare minimum it should be Bruno and two loan deals, one of which would be a striker.

Josep Dowling

With us now missing a core of players for a large chunk of the season (Rashy, McTominay, Pogba), and players simply not good enough even as squad players (Pereira, Lingard) with only ten days of the transfer window remaining, loaning a few squad level players seems like the best bet of us not sliding further down the table.

Alongside buying Bruno, I'd definitely look to loan another striker, midfielder and winger. That's too optimistic though, at a bare minimum it should be Bruno and two loan deals, one of which would be a striker.
You still think we’re signing Bruno? Clear as day another tactic to show we are trying to get players in but doesn’t go through, the same as the Dybala transfer.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Because it's 'short term'. When Ole and Woodward hear that something is 'short term', they get rash and start vomiting as it goes against the 'rebuilding' process.