Why don't we win penalties anymore?

Oneunited26

I don't think mata rooney RVP falcao are going to win you many Penalty's with their pedestrian Movement, it's like having 4 berbatovs in your team. The team is very slow, with VG building a very slow style of play, the tempo is not there, at home we score enough goals and that is that.

I don't find van gaal an attack minded coach, his possession game is trying to stop teams from scoring, the team does not take chances, and we probably have one of the slowest frontline in the PL

Last edited:

Sam

We've had some absolute stone wallers turned down this season. The type we'd have not 99 times out of 100 if Fergie was still in charge. Its been ridiculous.

I genuinely reckon the refs feel they have the 'freedom' to not give us pens now that Fergie isn't on there back. Especially as LVG isn't the type to rant and rave. Whereas any 50/50's would usually go our way, they now go the oppositions way.

Kakeru

We've had some absolute stone wallers turned down this season. The type we'd have not 99 times out of 100 if Fergie was still in charge. Its been ridiculous.

I genuinely reckon the refs feel they have the 'freedom' to not give us pens now that Fergie isn't on there back. Especially as LVG isn't the type to rant and rave. Whereas any 50/50's would usually go our way, they now go the oppositions way.
If we had this version of a pissed off LVG...

Such kind of reaction would surely help us a lot more. And I thought he showed that he can get pissed off at a referee during our tour in the US.

Last edited:

izec

pace and dribblings can get you a lot of penalties, but the question is not why dont we get the most penalties, but in general why not just one to start with? The refs are hesitating to give us one but are happy to give pens to the other teams. We have the 2nd most penalties against us.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

I'd not even thought of the Fergie factor tbh but you have a point. He was a dominating presence, maybe him not being there makes it easier to not give them.

Needham

Sir Alex Ferguson is/was the kind of person who could make you turn around just by looking at the back of your head. This pressure of emotion coupled with the unconscious self willing all referees had to be part of the scripted event, ie. a Utd victory, brought about perhaps more awards of penalties than were technically warranted by the supposed offences themselves.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We also lack players with pace in attack. Outside of Di Maria, Young and Valencia no one can run faster than a snail sadly.
You still need to enter the box, if you want penalties.

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF
The fact that we've conceded second most penalties is obviously down to the absolute shambles of a defence we've had this season.

Roboc7

• We have one of the slowest attacks in the league
  • Hardly any players who take on defenders
  • We rarely stretch team or catch them on counter attack
  • Ball isn't in the opposition penalty area that much in a game
  • LVG doesn't put pressure on referees either before or after games

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Right, pack this thread up lads for next season. We go again.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
No surprise that it was Di Maria who won it, our only player that will run at defenders at pace.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Why do goalkeepers have such big faith in themselves winning a ball like that? There are definitely a lot more penalties conceded like that than there is of a goalkeeper tackling the ball inside the box.

mu4c_20le

Why do goalkeepers have such big faith in themselves winning a ball like that?
To be fair he rushed out and won the ball in the second half so it must have given him the confidence to do it again.

Ok, there wasn't much contact but it was a rash challenge that should be punished. We've seen the likes of Ronaldo and Nani get tackled like that, sometimes there is little contact but if its enough to throw him off then it's not fair.

Snow

To be fair he rushed out and won the ball in the second half so it must have given him the confidence to do it again.

Ok, there wasn't much contact but it was a rash challenge that should be punished. We've seen the likes of Ronaldo and Nani get tackled like that, sometimes there is little contact but if its enough to throw him off then it's not fair.
3 times he went out like that in the game. Won the ball twice, once he got a yellow, conceded a penalty and a goal. It's a risk not worth taking in most cases.

Cal?

CR7 fan
3 times he went out like that in the game. Won the ball twice, once he got a yellow, conceded a penalty and a goal. It's a risk not worth taking in most cases.
If he hadn't rushed out, Di Maria would probably have wrapped up the tie before the Rooney penalty.

Snow

If he hadn't rushed out, Di Maria would probably have wrapped up the tie before the Rooney penalty.
If he hadn't rushed out then Di Maria would have wrapped up the tie. Then he rushed out and Rooney wrapped up the tie. The two instances also weren't the same. Di Maria had to run a lot further than Rooney. Easier to calculate.

Point is, I'm fairly certain that these kinds of goalkeeper rushes do more harm than good which is why most keepers don't do it if they aren't certain.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm not having this talk of it not being a penalty. It was only because he physically moved his leg out of the way of a dangerous tackle that there was no contact. A dive usually involves the player moving their leg towards the tackle. He could've left his leg there and no one would've complained. I know its dodgy ground but its not a blatant dive in my opinion.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
If he hadn't rushed out then Di Maria would have wrapped up the tie. Then he rushed out and Rooney wrapped up the tie. The two instances also weren't the same. Di Maria had to run a lot further than Rooney. Easier to calculate.

Point is, I'm fairly certain that these kinds of goalkeeper rushes do more harm than good which is why most keepers don't do it if they aren't certain.
Manuel Neuer begs to disagree.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Played with wingers, pace and got forward for about 60-70 minutes in the last 2 games... And we got 2 penalties. No coincidence. We weren't getting in the box anywhere near enough before.

SalfordRed1960

I'm not having this talk of it not being a penalty. It was only because he physically moved his leg out of the way of a dangerous tackle that there was no contact. A dive usually involves the player moving their leg towards the tackle. He could've left his leg there and no one would've complained. I know its dodgy ground but its not a blatant dive in my opinion.
Blatant or not, there was no contact or intent. Harsh penalty. Nice to see us getting some again.

Happily take a 90th minute penalty against Arsenal in the next round, preferably dodgy just to wind Keown up.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Blatant or not, there was no contact or intent. Harsh penalty. Nice to see us getting some again.

Happily take a 90th minute penalty against Arsenal in the next round, preferably dodgy just to wind Keown up.
I know what you're saying but its a weird one. The keeper was late and was about to go straight through Rooney's leg until he reacted and moved it away. If he hadn't moved that leg no one complains. Its almost as if Rooney did the opposite of what you're meant to do in a dive.