Why don't we win penalties anymore?

diarm

Has there actually been any incidents where we should have had one given, but it wasn't?
People have already said Freds but also Mings elbowing Pogba in the head 4 feet away from the ball.

Manoucha09

Thanks for those links, these are super interesting. I'm trying to figure out how to parse that .. if I select "Dribbles" (which I assume is what you mean when you say get our attackers running at defences again), it looks like we've had more of those and at higher success rate in the game against SHU than against AVL.

One thing I'd add though is that SHU is a bad data point because we had such a terrible game against them. They blocked off the center and forced our attacks down wide and we don't really have a lot of players who can make things happen 1v1 from wide areas and we struggled. I think the 5 at the back played into it as well because leaving our fullbacks semi-open (which is a common weakness of the 5-3-2 / 3-4-3 type formations) is not going to do a lot of damage. Normally Bruno makes things happen against sides that do this but even he was pretty shit that game, so we had nothing going on. AWB got a couple of interesting crosses in as well, which kind of highlights my point that the creativity was coming from our fullbacks more than anything.
I went with the heatmaps - the fourth tab to the right of Match Centre - as they tell us where we had the ball on the pitch; you'd obviously need to be in the opposition box to get a penalty (other than handball of course).

You're right, Sheffield United was a poor performance in general. IMO it was just one of those freak nights where everything just went their way and we were really poor. I expect a good performance tonight against a tough Southampton team who are out of form.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Not a single penalty yet this season. We've been denied at least 4-5 stonewallers by these bent refs.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Absolutely no excuse for that fat bastard's non-call on the Noble foul. Holy cow how did he not give that.

El Zoido

Not a single penalty yet this season. We've been denied at least 4-5 stonewallers by these bent refs.
It’s getting ridiculous at this point. Seriously starting to question the motives behind some of these decisions.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A big reason seems to be the change in reffing this season to let minor contact go. Last season Ronaldo would have got 2 pens at the weekend without a doubt.

But you suspect there is a bit of a thought in ref minds about whether we got too many last year.
But it is one extreme to the other isn't it!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This is more typical of United. Before the Covid summer, we barely seemed to get pens. A year of things going our way and now we'll have at least 5 years where we don't get penalties which Liverpool and City get given 9 times out of 10.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We probably haven't got into our dynamic best play yet either.
Get Sancho up to speed, Ronnie keep running with it into the box, and get Rashford back, and suddenly we have the pace and direct football that won so many.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
they will start giving us pens now but nothing pens when we’re 3-0 up.

Djemba-Djemba

I'm convinced all the talk of the penalties we got last season is playing a part this season.

I think refs are going into games determined to not give us a penalty.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, I thought that was a pen on Telles there by Noble, who should already have had a yellow or two.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
At this stage I'd much rather prefer Ole lose his absolute shit, frothing at the mouth and laying it on the refs for this absolute bullshit and sit a match or two as penalty.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ole needs to have a go at the decisions like Klopp.

Darlington Padgett

I'm convinced all the talk of the penalties we got last season is playing a part this season.

I think refs are going into games determined to not give us a penalty.
What's the point of having VAR then? I don't know what is going on behind the scence but they've denied 4-5 clear penalties this season.

choccy77

It's because we were given so many (Justified) last season, so now we are not allowed any, unless one of our players literally gets shot at this point and even then, will probably end up as an indirect free kick.

RedDevil@84

What's the point of having VAR then? I don't know what is going on behind the scence but they've denied 4-5 clear penalties this season.
The refs behind VAR are just a bunch of Yes men. And they don't want to piss off a colleague whom they have to meet after tha game. So they pat each other on backs and says good job. All correct decisions.

SuperiorXI

It doesn't make any sense to me, obvious pens not being given even when we have VAR... why not? What's the explanation? Does this happen with other teams?

Strelok

The refs have been so shite this season. The new rule of enough contact basically encourages and allows the refs to not give pens. Because of course they'd have to face far more pressure and objection from the players, fans and media if they do. They'll simply choose the easier option.

Sparky Rhiwabon

A lot of opposition managers voiced displeasure last season that we were getting too many penalties so maybe this is playing on refs' minds, plus the new rules on fouls gives them more discretion not to award them to us.

matt23

Anybody got the stats for before and after Klopp's tantrum?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
its funny but its also an absoute disaster because its directly impacting the clubs results and earnings (League cup being the prime example, and we got lucky against West Ham in the PL)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
its funny but its also an absoute disaster because its directly impacting the clubs results and earnings (League cup being the prime example, and we got lucky against West Ham in the PL)
If we got the penalties we should have in the West Ham PL game we would have won easily.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Do we not have to give Klopp some credit here? Exploited the media's bias, used the referee's weakness of being accused of anything untowards and has weakned a rival by doing so.

Mind games success.