Why has nothing happened yet? | Things are now happening

Zen86

Hopefully we are quietly conducting business in the background, with a thorough and considered approach. The way we have been conducting ourselves in the transfer market in the last few years has been embarrassing, frankly.

SirMattlives

Hopefully we are quietly conducting business in the background, with a thorough and considered approach. The way we have been conducting ourselves in the transfer market in the last few years has been embarrassing, frankly.
This. I do believe Ole, the board and EdW understand the requirements now. Would still like some news (especially of a DoF or whatever we're doing) but I hope (perhaps naively) the powers that be are not sitting around just hoping things get better.

Celoti23-81

Why is it embarrassing? The worst windows we have had was the first window under Moyes, and last season where we bought Dalot, Fred and Grant.
Even Dalot and Fred have something in them under the right manager.
Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitayran, Bailly were not bad signings. Bailly was great the first season until Mourinho threw him under the bus like every other player. And I still reckon he still is our best defender!
Lukaku is a goal scorer, until Mourinho tried to turn him into Drogba.
The biggest problem we have had at this club in 6 years is balance. We have neglected the right wing and left wing positions for years! Add to that, no real quality right back since Neville!
If we dont sign a right winger and right back this pre season we will be in the exact same position we have been last 6 years! For example, what would signing Joao Felix achieve, it would be just another luxury signing!

Irwin99

If Ed's learnt anything from the previous 3 managers complaints it's that a good preseason is essential and that the signings should be done quickly to bed them in.

Will be interesting to see if Ole has a moan in preseason too if things go tits up. Last year was the most miserable preseason I can ever remember at the club. It'd be nice to go into a new season with a different atmosphere.

Zen86

Why is it embarrassing? The worst windows we have had was the first window under Moyes, and last season where we bought Dalot, Fred and Grant.
Even Dalot and Fred have something in them under the right manager.
Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhitayran, Bailly were not bad signings. Bailly was great the first season until Mourinho threw him under the bus like every other player. And I still reckon he still is our best defender!
Lukaku is a goal scorer, until Mourinho tried to turn him into Drogba.
The biggest problem we have had at this club in 6 years is balance. We have neglected the right wing and left wing positions for years! Add to that, no real quality right back since Neville!
If we dont sign a right winger and right back this pre season we will be in the exact same position we have been last 6 years! For example, what would signing Joao Felix achieve, it would be just another luxury signing!
A long list of high profile, failed transfers, consistent links with practically every player under the sun (at a completely unprecedented scale to before), constant complaints and outbursts, bizarre last minute breakdowns in transfers, and a general smack of desperation, off the top of my head.

Celoti23-81

A long list of high profile, failed transfers, consistent links with practically every player under the sun (at a completely unprecedented scale to before), constant complaints and outbursts, bizarre last minute breakdowns in transfers, and a general smack of desperation, off the top of my head.
We could have signed Messi and that could have failed due to neglecting certain positions! It's a team game, you need a functioning side to release the ability of certain players! I haven't seen us linked to any right wingers in this window, so are we going to start with Mata or Lingard who don't stay there again?

Zen86

We could have signed Messi and that could have failed due to neglecting certain positions! It's a team game, you need a functioning side to release the ability of certain players! I haven't seen us linked to any right wingers in this window, so are we going to start with Mata or Lingard who don't stay there again?
You need to buy the right players, which we clearly haven’t done for years.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Lukaku, Bailly and Martial will be bought by other clubs.

I quite like them especially Lukaku but this is not the club for them especially Bailly and Martial regardless of how well or how badly we are doing.

Let Mata go to another club - according to his father there are offers! I actually really like Mata but he's not getting younger and we've got as much from him as we'll get.

That's four players for whom there is a market.

The useless b..........in Rojo and the worst signing ever in terms of money spent and value gained at Manchester United - Sanchez - are the albatrosses around United's neck. Maybe it was justice that Jose got the sack given he was the one who pushed for Sanchez. The money he is on is obscene - what club will be stupid enough to pay it apart from ours?
Well it looks like were signing James, so that kind of takes Mat's squad place.
I genuinely don;t know if their is a market for Martial, he's on around £250k a week, he's not gonna get into any of the top clubs in Europe so whose going to pay it?
Lukaku maybe we can sell, as thier is a shortage of half decent strikers on the world stage, so some one may match his wages, But I don't think its a given.
Even Bailly on his 75k a week wages, isnt gonna be an easy sell, his form has been dreadful well for years now, he hasn't really improved at united. Maybe he goes to arsenal but don't think thats a given.

Yeah Rojo and Sanchez, I honestly think the best thing we could do is pay of their ludicrous contracts and move on. Espically sanchez, every top player now wants his kind of money. Cutting him loose in the long term will probably save us cash.

Whatever happens we need to get a grip on our wages, we pay so much its basically impossible to sell anyone.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I have to be honest I am getting a bit of a worried feeling about this summer so far.

Yes, we're only in late May/June 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc... but the time is rolling, and our attempts so far are akin to signing up for a dating site.

First of all you're linked to all the real hotties, then as time goes on, the only ones you can catch the eyes of are the much older ones miles away, with a shttonne of baggage.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am curious what are we waiting for. This is easiest window for Ed. We can't bring top class players this window. So i don't think that buying second tier players is that hard

IrishRick

Where is the panic exactly??? Internationals are taking place. We will surely only sign internationals so announcements are not to be expected now. Nobody in the Premier League is very active right now. There is not need to panic, yet

TheRedHearted

This. I do believe Ole, the board and EdW understand the requirements now. Would still like some news (especially of a DoF or whatever we're doing) but I hope (perhaps naively) the powers that be are not sitting around just hoping things get better.
I think they see the over haul as a process, sell a bunch, buy a marquee this window (to keep us "relevant") and a couple of supporting cast signings.

I genuinely don;t know if their is a market for Martial, he's on around £250k a week, he's not gonna get into any of the top clubs in Europe so whose going to pay it?
Lukaku maybe we can sell, as thier is a shortage of half decent strikers on the world stage, so some one may match his wages, But I don't think its a given.
Do they ever do deals where the selling team eats some of the wages? This happens a lot in the MLB.

As for Martial-don't know whats Cavani's deal at PSG but could see him fitting in as the CF between Mbappe and Neymar. I could see Lukaku fitting into Atletico Madrid since Greizman is likely going. as others have said Italy would also suit him, and some PL teams would make a splash for him considering he would keep them somewhat relevant and safe from relegation.

Kag

Other clubs are much more relaxed as they are not in a dire situation unlike us.
We’re in no worse a position than Arsenal or Chelsea, two clubs we almost finished above until we ran out of steam. Chelsea are about to lose their manager, as well as the only player worth giving a monkeys about. Meanwhile, Arsenal are running about B&M with a packet of Haribo to show for their shop. They’re fecked.

We’ve also (practically) signed a player today. Stop bleating.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Do they ever do deals where the selling team eats some of the wages? This happens a lot in the MLB.

As for Martial-don't know whats Cavani's deal at PSG but could see him fitting in as the CF between Mbappe and Neymar. I could see Lukaku fitting into Atletico Madrid since Greizman is likely going. as others have said Italy would also suit him, and some PL teams would make a splash for him considering he would keep them somewhat relevant and safe from relegation.
A a baseball fan? me too. Lately Ive been thinking Football could learn a lot from the way that sport is going, getting much more ruthless handing out long term contracts especially to ageing players. Realising the sportsmen are generally in decline past 30 so you shouldn't give long term contracts even if they are likely the more famous names.

As football team paying some of players wages after a move, It happens but its not very often I believe we did it with Nani and what was left of Andersons contract. I think its going to have to become more common for bigger clubs, If madrid want to shift Bale they are probably going to have to swallow around 350k a week to even stand a Chanel of getting him off the book. we are in a similar boat with Sanchez and Rojo defiantly, and possibly a few other defenders.

As for Martial, I can't really see PSG forking out for Martial, they have lot of financial constraints and commitments as it is, and they have players who could play in that position. I suppose its possible but not likly. Plus you have to remember Martial only signed a new contract 6 months ago. It would terrible if we excepted a minimum fee possibly even swallowing a chunk of his wages to move him on. And if your a relegation threatened team I can't see them committing to 5 years of 250k a week, plus their is no guarantee Martial would even agree to go.

Personally I think Martial is going no where.

But yeah, I can see a couple of clubs possibly coming in for Lukaku. As while Lukaku isn't a world beater, he's a solid enough striker, and their doesn't seem to be too many of them around. But I can't see us selling him on the cheap that combined with his wages mean were talking only a small handful of clubs who may come in for him.

wolvored

Very brave mate, exposing yourself across two threads now as being either on a wind-up, or that you were at the very back of the queue when they were handing out common sense.
You got some nerve I'll give you that :lol:

Alabaster Codify7

Because itsi highly likely that nothing is going to happen.

Honestly,wHy can't some see what's right in front of them?

So far,Ole has claimed he's going to be ruthless and then has publicly explained to us fans the reasons behind the club extending the contracts of our deadwood. So who exactly is he going to be ruthless is? Certainly not Youngy,Joners and co.

Ole has also publicly prepared the fans for a struggle to finish in the top 6 next season. Does this sound like a man who knows he's going to have a good crack at it having 'cleared the deadwood'? Or does it sound like a man who knows he's going into battle with the same troops sna that last season is about as good as it probably gets?

I'm convinced hes been told we're having another Grant/Fred/Dalot summer but he cannot do a thing about it or bang goes his dream job.....the job he thought he would never get in his wildest dreams.

Mark this post. We reconvene at Xmas when he's been fired with us in 12-14th with almost the same 11 that stank out OT this season

passing-wind

Honestly getting tired with the hierarchy of the club, Solskjaer was also a ridiculous mistake he seems hell bent on succeeding in a system which has failed three consecutive managers.

That system is not having a DOF to liaise the direction of the club, so when potentially Ole or whoever is sacked we are left in a situation of rebuilding yet again. This is not that one manager is bad and the other is good, it's a lack of structure which is contributing to this endless cycle. If we have a DOF and Ole fails the season but provides a platform for us to build upon with a successor that to me is a massive success (Ole has next to no managerial credentials). Instead we have owners who will go from appointing LVG to Mourinho it's like going from Eddie Howe to Allegri, doesn't matter the accolades it's what philosophy and ethos they bring to the table to implement in a team.

The key things the club had to do this summer:

1. Get in all singings before pre season (the ending to the 18/19 campaign places massive emphasis on the importance of getting in new faces early).

2. Implement a DOF / corresponding role

The reality thus far = tumbleweed

Varunie1208

Woodward can't make players sign. The players and their agents are shopping around as are the teams. Each team have their preferences and amounts they are willing to pay. We are last choice for top players. Teams qualifying for Champions league have first choice. It's as simple as that. The sad thing is that once musical chairs is finished with the top teams it will be late in the window and the agents will hold United ransom knowing they have the money. I doubt Woodward or the owners have any clue what they've done. The Glazers will milk more money out of the club and when the returns diminish they will sell. The only good thing to come of that will be Woodward finally getting sacked and going down as the guy who burned United to the ground.

ryansgirl

A a baseball fan? me too. Lately Ive been thinking Football could learn a lot from the way that sport is going, getting much more ruthless handing out long term contracts especially to ageing players. Realising the sportsmen are generally in decline past 30 so you shouldn't give long term contracts even if they are likely the more famous names.

As for Martial, I can't really see PSG forking out for Martial, they have lot of financial constraints and commitments as it is, and they have players who could play in that position. I suppose its possible but not likly. Plus you have to remember Martial only signed a new contract 6 months ago. It would terrible if we excepted a minimum fee possibly even swallowing a chunk of his wages to move him on. And if your a relegation threatened team I can't see them committing to 5 years of 250k a week, plus their is no guarantee Martial would even agree to go.

Personally I think Martial is going no where.

But yeah, I can see a couple of clubs possibly coming in for Lukaku. As while Lukaku isn't a world beater, he's a solid enough striker, and their doesn't seem to be too many of them around. But I can't see us selling him on the cheap that combined with his wages mean were talking only a small handful of clubs who may come in for him.
Pro Basketball in the US suffers from the same problem in that mediocre players are getting unbelievable wages and the over 30s who once were very good are on bloated contracts while their games have declined. The exception is Lebron James who can still dominate on his day but has had significant injuries this year and last year.

As for Martial, there goes my theory on him being offloaded. I think Lukaka will go to an Italian club - a nice bloke but doesn't have the mental toughness. And his bulk is a bit strange, not going to say anything else on that.

Now on another subject - the Icardi rumours, I don't believe them. To even take them seriously we'd have to believe United has taken complete leave of its senses at management level.

His wife Wanda Nara is his agent, she mouths off in the media and 'leaks' rumours to it, she and Icardi together make Beckham and Victoria at their egoistic, publicity-hog peaks look shy and retiring, she would be griping about Manchester within 5 seconds of being there, etc, etc.

A few over in the transfer forum would love him at United but any benefit he could bring would be overshadowed by all the noise off-pitch and general distractions. This is not how a new era starts.

Water Melon

Because itsi highly likely that nothing is going to happen.

Honestly,wHy can't some see what's right in front of them?

So far,Ole has claimed he's going to be ruthless and then has publicly explained to us fans the reasons behind the club extending the contracts of our deadwood. So who exactly is he going to be ruthless is? Certainly not Youngy,Joners and co.

Ole has also publicly prepared the fans for a struggle to finish in the top 6 next season. Does this sound like a man who knows he's going to have a good crack at it having 'cleared the deadwood'? Or does it sound like a man who knows he's going into battle with the same troops sna that last season is about as good as it probably gets?

I'm convinced hes been told we're having another Grant/Fred/Dalot summer but he cannot do a thing about it or bang goes his dream job.....the job he thought he would never get in his wildest dreams.

Mark this post. We reconvene at Xmas when he's been fired with us in 12-14th with almost the same 11 that stank out OT this season
Marking this post to be bumped on Boxing Day.

George The Best

Why has nothing happened yet:

We are in total disarray as a club.
We’re in Europa League, again.
We’ve got an unproven manager, much as I’d like him to succeed, he’s not an attraction to anyone without Man Utd running in their veins.
We’ve got a shit squad.

On the plus side:

We’ve got loads of money and you’ll get some more by doing a few ads for a noodle company.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
All the noise is very worrying it has to be said

CB's - Koulibaly (never gonna happen?), De Ligt (unlikely to choose us), Maguire (City bound/do we even want him?), Alderweireld (no interest)

RB's - AWB (too expensive), Meunièr (no actual interest/maybe not even that good?)

CM - Raboit (?)

RW - Sancho (no interest in coming to us in our current state)

CF - ?

No doubt you'll have you glass half full brigade point to how early it is in the window etc etc but I've seen the trend far too often and where there is no smoke there's no fire and right now we've go no concrete links to anyone which at this stage of the window is very worrying

kirk buttercup

CB's - Koulibaly (never gonna happen?), De Ligt (unlikely to choose us), Maguire (City bound/do we even want him?), Alderweireld (no interest)

RB's - AWB (too expensive), Meunièr (no actual interest/maybe not even that good?)

CM - Raboit (?)

CF - ?

No doubt you'll have you glass half full brigade point to how early it is in the window etc etc but I've seen the trend far too often and where there is no smoke there's no fire and right now we've go no concrete links to anyone which at this stage of the window is very worrying
£££ is the key . Very few players are loyal and CL blah blah Blah . Do you want sheds loads of cash ? Most players - yes please

Eddy_JukeZ

CM - Raboit (?)

CF - ?

I'm already accepting another disastrous window and a season that rivals the likes of Moyes' 1st season.

I wish we could fast forward to next summer. Maybe we'll have new owners and a whole new board.

Seth.R

Transfer window isn't even open yet.

Yes, it would be nice if deals were announced - but the reality is it makes no difference as the players literally cannot sign yet. We've got one in - James - and I'm sure we're working very hard at adding more.

I'm sure things are in the works in the background - just because we don't know about it doesn't mean the club is doing nothing.

I'd begin to show some concern if we were in the exact same position when pre-season starts, however we all need to relax and get a bit of a grip. The season has just ended, players will be on holiday, contracts and details are being discussed, the club have made it very clear that we aim to bring in 4-5 players, and are under no illusions with regards to the shape of the squad.

iKeano

Released 15 players. That means the board and management think there were 15 players on the books worse than Young, Smalling, Jones, Darmian, Rojo, Lingard, Sanchez and Lukaku (Rashford and Martial just staying off the list for now). Worrying.