Why has nothing happened yet? | Things are now happening

Cloud7

What’s that line that gets tossed out every now and then?

“Once X transfer happens it’ll set off a chain reaction of transfers/dominoes will start falling” or something along those lines.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This thread should be locked until July. If we have not made a signing by then maybe then people can start panicking.

minh_loc_xoay

This thread should be locked until July. If we have not made a signing by then maybe then people can start panicking.
By July it would be too late. Other teams would have wrapped up their transfers already and we'd be left scratching at the barrel bottom for something edible...

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
All transfer incomings registered with the Premier League as of 6th June:

Lloyd Kelly (Bristol City to Bournemouth)
Jota (Birmingham to Aston Villa)
Joel Senior (Curzon Ashton to Burnley)
Jonas Lossl (Huddersfield Town to Everton)
Patrick Roberts (Man City to Norwich City - Loan)
Roberto (Espanyol to West Ham)
David Martin (Millwall to West Ham)
Hong (Yeovil Town to Wolverhampton Wanderers)

Pull your finger out Ed!

ship50

Not expecting much this window. Daniel James, some under the radar type of names (who can come good, of course) and perhaps one big name. We can't give CL football, we don't have a high profile manager and the off-field issues of the club are well known. People say that we can offer big money but I'm not sure if that would attract the right kind of players. If we manage to get a top 4 finish or better this season, and Ole can develope the players that he will get now,then the next season will be exciting. Looking forward to that.

justboy68

Don't worry we'll be snapping up Welbz on a free any day now.

On a serious note, barely anyone has done anything so far in the Premier League anyway. I think it's more the feeling in the pit of our stomach that we know we are still going to be asking the same questions in a month's time.

ryansgirl

If we get Di Ligt, sorry if I spelt his name wrong, from Ajax then expect the ball to start rolling from there. That would be an amazing coupe and he's still only 19.

I might be clutching at straws here, but I am wondering if Yip Yap Staam has any connection with or influence on the lad. He did make a public statement that United would be a great destination for him and praised him. If we get James we can thank Ryan for some influence there.

iKeano

I'm less concerned about who we sign and more concerned about who we release (or don't release more to the point!).

Bin dippers in the CL on Saturday, release Sturridge and Moreno on Tuesday. Doing the business on and off the pitch.

Never has offering Jones, Smalling and Young contract extensions looked more ridiculous. I'd be really interested to see what clubs are knocking Utd's door for any of our players. Zero I imagine. Can hardly imagine a queue of suitors for the above trio of clowns plus Darmian, Rojo, Bailly, Matic, Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Sanchez. I'll only believe in the interest from Inter for Lukaku when he's stood holding a XXXL Inter jersey and signing on the dotted line.

Anyone that actually believes we have a chance of signing De Ligt needs to have a long hard look at themselves. Never gonna happen. Better off 'draining the swamp', bringing Tuanzebe and TFM back in, promoting youth and having players that actually want to play for Utd and will give 100%. Not too much to ask for.

It's going to be a long, horrible summer of inaction. A perfect intro to the 19/20 season which will see Utd as anticlimactic and inactive on the pitch as off the pitch... Unless you count more Far Eastern Mattress partnerships as good business.

Manchester United Finance Corporation. Not my MUFC

ryansgirl

I think Rashford would have a lot of interest but we need to keep him. He's terrific for his age in key respects and just needs more guidance. Why don't we have a chance of signing De Ligt? If we are prepared to offer the money he and his agent are asking for?

And Bailly, Martial and Matic will definitely have suitors. I think both the young French lads have so much potential but they are mentally not suitable for both Manchester United when it's achieving and Manchester United when it's unstable as in now.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I'm less concerned about who we sign and more concerned about who we release (or don't release more to the point!).

Bin dippers in the CL on Saturday, release Sturridge and Moreno on Tuesday. Doing the business on and off the pitch.

Never has offering Jones, Smalling and Young contract extensions looked more ridiculous. I'd be really interested to see what clubs are knocking Utd's door for any of our players. Zero I imagine. Can hardly imagine a queue of suitors for the above trio of clowns plus Darmian, Rojo, Bailly, Matic, Lingard, Rashford, Martial, Sanchez. I'll only believe in the interest from Inter for Lukaku when he's stood holding a XXXL Inter jersey and signing on the dotted line.

Anyone that actually believes we have a chance of signing De Ligt needs to have a long hard look at themselves. Never gonna happen. Better off 'draining the swamp', bringing Tuanzebe and TFM back in, promoting youth and having players that actually want to play for Utd and will give 100%. Not too much to ask for.

It's going to be a long, horrible summer of inaction. A perfect intro to the 19/20 season which will see Utd as anticlimactic and inactive on the pitch as off the pitch... Unless you count more Far Eastern Mattress partnerships as good business.

Manchester United Finance Corporation. Not my MUFC
Hallelujah, a positive post at last :devil:

wolvored

I saw an article on Reddit the other day that said the window for signing foreign players only opens on the 11th, but I'm not sure if that's the case? Still, we could have done deals anyway that would just become official then.

Other than that I can't even imagine why we've not done any deals. Considering the desperate situation i thought for sure we'd be straight out of the blocks with deals on place. Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to how we operate though.
There have already been some transfers abroad. Surely they dont have a longer transfer window than England?

Roy'sMagicHat

It’s too early to panic. That said though, I’m just exhausted from the pain of this season and the thoughts of Woodward not having a clue what he’s doing is depressing me. The days of David Gill getting deals announced in May for the likes of Nani seem like an eternity ago now.

A perverse part of me thinks that maybe it’s for the best that United have a couple of rotten seasons so the Glazers might just f*** off as the Champions League/corporate money dissipates. I’m gutted and just clutching at straws.

Patrick08

Outside of Real Madrid, who signed a striker less than 24 hours ago, I don’t see a great deal happening anywhere.

A few free transfers here and there. Of course, psychos are gonna’ psycho.
Other clubs are much more relaxed as they are not in a dire situation unlike us.

sp_107

No doubt We are a big club but we must accept the fact right now we are not in a position to attract top of the top talent like Felix, Deligit, Rodri.

So better we accept this and work on bringing in realistic targets as there are still many good players around who can improve us

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I'm all up for Woodward bashing, but I don't think it's time for that yet. 1st week of July is when I start getting pissed off, because then the new recruits will not have time for preseason and that gives them an excuse to underperform for a year.

nameischarles

1st week of July is when I start getting pissed off, because then the new recruits will not have time for preseason and that gives them an excuse to underperform for a year.
This. I will definitely start getting worried if we have no new player or just one player (more likely James) going on our preseason tour.

I'd hope all this talk about doing our business early is actually happening in the background and are just ironing out a few details. Granted the big signings we are all hoping for might take longer than expected but hoping we aren't being stagnated all summer because of them.

OohAahMartial

The early part of the window is haggling for price. No one wants to just accept the asking price, especially when every club is asking £50m or £100m. Also a lot of clubs need to sell before they buy, this makes the whole transfer market stuck. And in our case we have been waiting on replies from some of our players as to whether they will renew or leave (De Gea, Mata, Lukaku, Pogba).

Examples: Inter need to sell Icardi to be able to get Lukaku, they tried offering us Perisic or Icardi and we said no to both, so they either offer a decent player to us or pay up, they can only pay up by offloading Icardi, but no one wants him yet. We won't buy a forward until we sell Lukaku. If Napoli come in and meet our valuation, then this could speed up. While we wait for Lukaku to be sold, we "monitor" the likes of Dembele and Haller.

De Gea took a while to indicate he wasn't renewing, and since then we have been linked with Onana and Maignan. PSG only just announced Buffon leaving, and apparently are open to Navas too. They will also be waiting to see if they get De Ligt as their FFP budget will be affected by doing so. We have to wait for other clubs on this.

De Ligt is everyone's first choice, and every club will scramble to fight over 2nd then 3rd choice once he has made his mind up, which he has stated he will do after Nations League finishes, which in itself is delaying the transfer market for many players and clubs. After he confirms, Koulibaly, Maguire Umtiti and Dias will all have many clubs competing over them. Hopefully we get one. And most likely last dibs, as CL clubs get first pickings.

Darmian has the usual tight fisted Italian clubs trying to get him for virtually free. Valencia might actually be a better option as they might actually pay money. Possibly we won't try to close a deal on AWB or Meunier until shifting Darmian. Palace are waiting to sell Zaha so they can refuse all offers for AWB, but if by end of window no one buys Zaha, then AWB might get sold. Meunier is waiting on us by the looks of it, though whether he will wait as long as Palace makes us wait, is another matter.

Real are securing their primary targets, and will probably need to sell some to be able to get either Eriksen or Pogba, and Juve too would probably need to sell Dybala to raise money for Pogba. No one is accepting the Dybala swap offers so far. And no one wants Bale. So Pogba is stuck until some movement occurs. Until we know whether Pogba is staying or going we can't decide who to buy in CM to partner him or replace him. So Fernandes (probably Pogba replacment), and many others, will have no movement until Pogba future certain, ie. waiting on Real and Juve to sell players first.

Its gridlock. Most likely a flurry of activity after Internationals finish and in the last week of the window, as usual.

Mcking

Pull your finger out Ed!
Signs of competence + ambition, they said.

LisburnWhite

The early part of the window is haggling for price. No one wants to just accept the asking price, especially when every club is asking £50m or £100m. Also a lot of clubs need to sell before they buy, this makes the whole transfer market stuck. And in our case we have been waiting on replies from some of our players as to whether they will renew or leave (De Gea, Mata, Lukaku, Pogba).

Examples: Inter need to sell Icardi to be able to get Lukaku, they tried offering us Perisic or Icardi and we said no to both, so they either offer a decent player to us or pay up, they can only pay up by offloading Icardi, but no one wants him yet. We won't buy a forward until we sell Lukaku. If Napoli come in and meet our valuation, then this could speed up. While we wait for Lukaku to be sold, we "monitor" the likes of Dembele and Haller.

De Gea took a while to indicate he wasn't renewing, and since then we have been linked with Onana and Maignan. PSG only just announced Buffon leaving, and apparently are open to Navas too. They will also be waiting to see if they get De Ligt as their FFP budget will be affected by doing so. We have to wait for other clubs on this.

De Ligt is everyone's first choice, and every club will scramble to fight over 2nd then 3rd choice once he has made his mind up, which he has stated he will do after Nations League finishes, which in itself is delaying the transfer market for many players and clubs. After he confirms, Koulibaly, Maguire Umtiti and Dias will all have many clubs competing over them. Hopefully we get one. And most likely last dibs, as CL clubs get first pickings.

Darmian has the usual tight fisted Italian clubs trying to get him for virtually free. Valencia might actually be a better option as they might actually pay money. Possibly we won't try to close a deal on AWB or Meunier until shifting Darmian. Palace are waiting to sell Zaha so they can refuse all offers for AWB, but if by end of window no one buys Zaha, then AWB might get sold. Meunier is waiting on us by the looks of it, though whether he will wait as long as Palace makes us wait, is another matter.

Real are securing their primary targets, and will probably need to sell some to be able to get either Eriksen or Pogba, and Juve too would probably need to sell Dybala to raise money for Pogba. No one is accepting the Dybala swap offers so far. And no one wants Bale. So Pogba is stuck until some movement occurs. Until we know whether Pogba is staying or going we can't decide who to buy in CM to partner him or replace him. So Fernandes (probably Pogba replacment), and many others, will have no movement until Pogba future certain, ie. waiting on Real and Juve to sell players first.

Its gridlock. Most likely a flurry of activity after Internationals finish and in the last week of the window, as usual.
Great analysis and probably correct on many points. Good to see a level headed view on the situation.

Bestietom

Nations cup and internationals holding up transfers. Next week will see more movement.

romufc

Everyone saying next week we will see more, but the excuses will be the Nations League and international tournaments just finished everyone is on holiday.

For Man City, Liverpool and the like it isnt a problem because they only need 1 or 2 players and players want to come to them.

Whereas, United need to be a bit more clever in scouting the right player, there is no point going for players we know won't come here.

Wheato

As has been the process for decades, you agree terms with a club and player, then they come for a medical. Most footballers are on holiday in far flung reaches of the world, and those who aren't are with their international squads in training camps. So it is entirely possible that a number of moves hinge on these players being available for a medical. This includes the likes of Marcos Rojo who is currently in Argentina or Sanchez in Chile. I think it will be mid to late June before anything starts happening.

Nick7

Other clubs are much more relaxed as they are not in a dire situation unlike us.
Hardly. Spurs need signings. Chelsea do too, but have a potential ban. Arsenal are in a worse position than us. Madrid are going big. Barca need players to avoid the failings in the CL of the last two years. PSG too. Most of the top clubs are in similar situations when it comes to needing investment. Of those clubs only Madrid has made any moves this summer. Barca and Chelsea bought players in January though.

Bestofthebest

To be fair, the club only spends about 25 million pounds a year servicing the debt.
Point taken. Just think though, over the last ten years that equates to £250m which could have bought an extra couple of good players. Still, they would probably have turned out to be underwhelming. This is just part of the problem with current set up at the club.

soaphroniscuss

Pull your finger out Ed!
We missed out on Hong

Bestietom

Probably because the players we are after are playing in the Nations Finals and other Internationals.

Lentwood

This is good and fair analysis but it also highlights WHY the oil clubs have such a massive advantage over the rest of us...even if their overall 'net' spend is not that much higher over an extended period of time.

1) They can easily move players on at a loss...teams like City/PSG don't need to haggle with Italian teams over a couple of million for Darmian, just let him go and move on.

2) They can buy BEFORE they sell. 'Normal' teams, even very rich ones, have books to balance. Therefore, as you rightly say, we potentially cannot sell Lukaku until Inter sell Icardi and by the time BOTH transfers go through (if they do at all), our primary targets could be out-of-reach. A club like City could just buy whoever they wanted and then trust that be it this summer, January or next summer, they will eventually move their 'Lukaku' on

3) The 'opportunity cost' for oil clubs is lower because they are so rich and move quickly in the market....City signed Danilo, Walker and Mendy in the space of a few weeks after identifying that they needed fullbacks. They literally took the attitude of 'we'll buy the best two available and a spare in case one doesn't work out'....now which 'normal' club has that luxury? Most have to say 'OK...we need a RW, a RB, a CB, a LB...who's available and for what price?' They don't have the budget to address all at once so if they buy one RB, that means the 'opportunity cost is one CM or one LB. Then if that RB doesn't live up to expectations the choice is 'do we give them one more season OR do we put off signing a CM/RW until NEXT year and go back into the market for a RB?'

Every choice you make means you pass up another option. Oil clubs don't really have this problem....just look at the sheer number of players City have signed since the Sheikh took over (or Chelsea since Roman)....I think THAT right there is the most telling difference because we get stuck with players like Jones/Smalling because they are just about good enough to mean we make choices in other positions with a view to addressing them later

Gopher Brown

I think Rashford would have a lot of interest but we need to keep him. He's terrific for his age in key respects and just needs more guidance. Why don't we have a chance of signing De Ligt? If we are prepared to offer the money he and his agent are asking for?

And Bailly, Martial and Matic will definitely have suitors. I think both the young French lads have so much potential but they are mentally not suitable for both Manchester United when it's achieving and Manchester United when it's unstable as in now.
Don’t do this to yourself. There’s no chance de Ligt is coming here. If he has an offer from Barcelona and Bayern we’re also interested, why would he join the 6th best team in England?

ryansgirl

Don’t do this to yourself. There’s no chance de Ligt is coming here. If he has an offer from Barcelona and Bayern we’re also interested, why would he join the 6th best team in England?
A realistic response, I know. If we had qualified for the Champions League that might have made some difference but not much. And much as I support Ole, he has none of the managerial status that could lure somebody like De Ligt against the odds. An Alex Ferguson could have done it and the much maligned Louis Van Gaal, too as well as Jose.

ryansgirl

I think so much depends on who leaves and who we can actually get rid off.

And so many of the players we want rid off are on wages that they simply arnt going to get else where. Until we figure out how to deal with that our squad is pretty full.

I suppose we could sign a right winger and a midfielder, as there is some room in the squad in those positions.

But beyond that it’s all about who leaves and how we get others to leave.
Lukaku, Bailly and Martial will be bought by other clubs.

I quite like them especially Lukaku but this is not the club for them especially Bailly and Martial regardless of how well or how badly we are doing.

Let Mata go to another club - according to his father there are offers! I actually really like Mata but he's not getting younger and we've got as much from him as we'll get.

That's four players for whom there is a market.

The useless b..........in Rojo and the worst signing ever in terms of money spent and value gained at Manchester United - Sanchez - are the albatrosses around United's neck. Maybe it was justice that Jose got the sack given he was the one who pushed for Sanchez. The money he is on is obscene - what club will be stupid enough to pay it apart from ours?

fergiesarmy1

I'm all up for Woodward bashing, but I don't think it's time for that yet
That time has long since passed, nothing is going to improve while players, agents and clubs run rings around this clown whose strategy appears to be chuck money at over the hill, over rated, over weight and over paid players in the forlorn hope that they may help the rest of the circus acts he’s already bought or extended the contract of.

ryansgirl

That time has long since passed, nothing is going to improve while players, agents and clubs run rings around this clown whose strategy appears to be chuck money at over the hill, over rated, over weight and over paid players in the forlorn hope that they may help the rest of the circus acts he’s already bought or extended the contract of.
Classic and cutting post!

Ziggy Starduster

Ole has stated often he wants his team in place for pre-season. If the club is truly going to back him, then I expect most of our business done by PS. If not, then there may be some deals struggling to get over the line in time or the club just can't get those players.
I did see a graphic recently that showed we did spend the most following seasons when we didn't finish top 4. Not sure why this summer will be any different. The club needs to spend big and the hierarchy must know this and get it (I suspect sponsors and the likes will be nudging them too).
3-4 players coming in is what I'm expecting, given the contract extensions that have been handed out. If we don't upgrade the defense we need to buckle in for a right old fight next season, but I'm oddly optimistic we will buy well this summer. My main hope is we manage to off-load Sanchez - we've been on the slide since he joined.

smudgegezer

my god, have we not signed all the best players in the world yet. Sigh, start to worry when we go on pre-season and nobody has been signed.
I will not be expecting any marquee signings, but players that are going to fit into a system.

Last edited by a moderator: