Why has only 1 German ever played for United?

georgipep

Manchester's annual daily mean temperature is 10.0°C. Munich's annual daily mean temperature is 9.7°C.

Manchester's annual precipitation is 828.8mm. Munich's annual daily mean temperature is 944mm.

Munich reaches slightly higher top temperatures in June, July and August. But these are footballers we're talking about. They're going to be anywhere other than the UK or Germany during those months. Bragging about the Bavarian summer is pointless. In any case, Manchester tops 26°C every single year.

And most other metrics also show similar mixed results with both cities being relatively close. I still think Munich is more appealing weather-wise. Also, the ability to drive within mainland Europe (even within Germany) is a big plus. Not everyone wants (or can and should nowadays) to fly to their destinations.

Robindinho

Moyes of all people had the deal wrapped up and LVG binned it :lol: you can't really make it up can you?

The stupid thing is Kroos would have been the perfect midfielder for the way he wanted to play, instead he went with Fellaini and a 1 legged Schweinsteiger. :confused:
I’m still not over that, didn’t Kroos even confirm it was all but done. :(

It must have been a personal issue that Van Gaal had, rather that what he thought of his ability.

Schweinsteiger was in LVG’s second summer though, Kroos would have been in his first... could have had a midfield 3 of him, Carrick and Herrera :drool:...:(

Kostov

After we lost to bayern in 2010 Fergie said "typical Germans" referring to several players surrounding the ref to get Rafael sent off.

He would be suspended if he said that today.

Shame as Refael had Ribery in his pocket and Robben scored a wonder goal to knock us out.
I fecking hate that rat face Ribery even since.

NFM

Historically top German players dream of either Munich or Italy. The UK is not that appealing because of weather ( compared to Italy) or culture ( history). That I think was chaging, but Brexit has probably put it back to where it was.

Falcow

True.

Manchester's daily mean temperature is warmer than Munich's. Manchester's annual rainfall is also less than Munich's.

German players would find a hotter and drier climate than they're used to if they came to Manchester. That might put them off.
Sure, whatever your google search says.

The only players who would find manchester hotter and drier are those coming from Newcastle or Scotland.

I spent a summer in Munich and while I've never lived in Manchester, I've been there often enough. They dont compare. Munich's height above sea level would definitely make the winter colder than Manchester. Munich however gets a proper summer ever year and not once in every 15 like Manchester.

Much like here in ireland, Manchester has Spring and Autumn, doesnt really get winters or summer's, not by continental standards anyway.

Why I'm debating climate on a man united forum I've no idea.

Dante

Average bang
Sure, whatever your google search says.

The only players who would find manchester hotter and drier are those coming from Newcastle or Scotland.

I spent a summer in Munich and while I've never lived in Manchester, I've been there often enough. They dont compare. Munich's height above sea level would definitely make the winter colder than Manchester. Munich however gets a proper summer ever year and not once in every 15 like Manchester.

Much like here in ireland, Manchester has Spring and Autumn, doesnt really get winters or summer's, not by continental standards anyway.

Why I'm debating climate on a man united forum I've no idea.
Google search is more accurate than your anecdotes.

What's a proper summer? Because I think we both know you're talking bullshit and can't back that up.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
James has said Munich was too cold for him. Has he commented on the weather in Liverpool yet?

Dante

Average bang

And most other metrics also show similar mixed results with both cities being relatively close. I still think Munich is more appealing weather-wise. Also, the ability to drive within mainland Europe (even within Germany) is a big plus. Not everyone wants (or can and should nowadays) to fly to their destinations.
So United are limited to non-Denis Bergkamp players. I'm sure we'll survive.

Manchester is hotter all year except for the months when footballers leave. Exactly what I've been saying

georgipep

So United are limited to non-Denis Bergkamp players. I'm sure we'll survive.

Manchester is hotter all year except for the months when footballers leave. Exactly what I've been saying
I think there have been plenty of footballers who have complained about the English weather, many even specifically about Manchester, but sure, feel proud of the Bergkamp remark.

As the first graph clearly shows, it rains a lot more in Manchester than it does in Munich,

I'm sure you are happy being out in the rain when it is 3 degrees warmer than in Munich, where it doesn't rain.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think there have been plenty of footballers who have complained about the English weather, many even specifically about Manchester, but sure, feel proud of the Bergkamp remark.

As the first graph clearly shows, it rains a lot more in Manchester than it does in Munich,

I'm sure you are happy being out in the rain when it is 3 degrees warmer than in Munich, where it doesn't rain.
Except for City players.

Maybe Stockport is a tropical paradise existing as some kind of anomaly where players can live without complaining.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
A nearby country with one of the biggest populations in Europe, similar climate, produces dozens of great footballers every generation yet only one has played for United?

What's the deal?
We should have bought lewandoski even though he's Polish

Dante

Average bang

It rains less in Manchester.

A 'day of precipitation' is counted if a single molecule of water falls from the sky. Sure, Manchester has more days when that happens. But it pisses it down in Munich a hell of a lot more (828.8mm per year in Manchester versus 944mm per year in Munich). You can still go out when there are a few specks of moisture in the air in Manchester. Munich has washouts more often which force you to stay indoors.

Plus there's also the fact Manchester only has 39 days per year below freezing compared to 123 in Munich. It's significantly colder in Bavaria in addition to being wetter.

Ramos

They have a strong league so they don't move all that much.

How many Italians played for United? How many good ones?

Falcow

Google search is more accurate than your anecdotes.

What's a proper summer? Because I think we both know you're talking bullshit and can't back that up.
You know it's been a strange year when somebody is trying to tell you that the climate in Manchester is better than continental Europe.

Annual hours of sunshine in Munich is about 25% greater than manchester so there's that. Quick look at weather chart for manchester shows rain on 5 of next 7 days V 1 out of 7 for Munich.

Next time we are signing a player we could try and sell it on the basis that the weather in Manchester is better than continental europe :lol:

At least I have an anecdote pal. Go back to your mother's basement, you need to do better research.

Abizzz

At the time when it could have happened Fergie didn't rate any of those he could buy (I guess). But then anyone who could have been good enough for Fergie's United most likely would have been good enough for the big Italian and Spanish clubs, so why choose Manchester? The PL only became the draw it is today when the television money became insane. The German greats of the 80's and 90's usually went to Italy.

Green_Red

[/QUOTE]
I wasn't sure
Jens lehmann was an invincible no? Not that I think that's much of a special achievement, but he was certainly an important part of an excellent team.
I agree, those two were just two I could think of off the top of my head.

fps

The best German players tend to go to Bayern. That is the calibre of player Man Utd should be looking at. So no dice.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

There is nothing about the Manchester climate that is similar to Germany.

Amazing stat all the same.
If you said "nothing about the Manchester climate is similar to Munich and the South" I would tend to agree. But pretty much everywhere else is the exact same if not colder. Have you been there?

Banana Republic

poleglass red

To think that Kevin I'd luv it Keegan was a success back in the day in the Bundesliga, think he got European player of the year twice whilst at Hamburg and a league medal

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They have a strong league so they don't move all that much.

How many Italians played for United? How many good ones?
Exactly. You could similarly ask how many good English players go abroad. It'll be a similar list to what's been brought up for Germans so far in here.

Yes. The answer to "why has only 1 German ever played for United [while dozens have joined the PL]? " is: Bayern. "Why would I join United, when so many sources said a Leicester City type run could never happen in Bundesliga" was actually the reason Kroos gave for going to Madrid instead.
I can tell you've given up! :lol: Once too many where you have to refute Bayerns myths and other BuLi fairytales?

Greck

We had Fergie for 26 years and he didn't like 'em.
Always felt he wasn't too keen on them either. After that Bayern tie he said "bloody germans". the first time I had heard him speak of any group in a derogatory manner in an interview. Being born 1941 probably didn't help

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
German talent only left in droves during the late 80s and early 90s. At the time the Serie A financial muscle was too strong for the EPL to compete with it

Bokito

I am probably missing a whole bunch of names, but maybe it makes sense to look at the "dozens" of German players in the PL over the last two decades or so, to see who'd actually would've suited Man Utd.
- Ballack - would've been great, but moved to Chelsea when the big wall of cash came in;
- Emre Can - wasn't a big player when he moved from Bayer Leverkusen. For his best position, Man Utd brought in Di Maria, considered a much better pick at that moment;
- Gnabry - came to Arsenal as a youth player, and only 1 out of XXX youth players really turn out so great (remember Janusaj?);
- Gündogan: yeah, could've been a great signing. But: in 2016 moving to a strong City or a failing United?
- Havertz: wouldn't fit the current line up, would prefer Bruno;
- Holtby: not even good enough for Tottenham;
- Huth: not a world beater, failed at Chelsea;
- Karius: yeah, no;
- Lehmann: probably would've been better than Howard in 2003. Then again: V.d. Sar wouldn't have joined in 2005, had Lehmann joined. I consider that a win, looking back;
- Mertesacker: when he joined Arsenal, Rio / Vidic were the designated defenders. No contest;
- Mustafi: not Man Utd material;
- Özil: I think this could have worked in 2013, but then again: can you have a team with both Rooney and Özil starting?;
- Sané: I would've loved that. But like with Gundogan: why join United over City in 2016?
- Schürrle: potentially could;ve been a great signing in 2013. He didn't become a world beater, but was seen as a great talent back then;
- Werner: Getting him would mean stopping the development of Rashford. Potentially could've been great, and possibly a better way to spend the Donny v.d. Beek money;

So all in all: I can only think of a handful of players where Man Utd really missed out on, and there are logical reasons why that never came through. The amount of absolute world-class Germans in the PL has always been fairly limited. Just like there are not so many brilliant English players in Germany / Spain / Italy...

Bokito

This seems a bit harsh though, as he was a starting CB in a title winning side.
Definitely, but that title win was some kind of freak accident. And it's not like he came into Leicester as a big name to a title contender, but as a Stoke player moving to a top 6 challenging side...