Why has only 1 German ever played for United?

Icemav

A nearby country with one of the biggest populations in Europe, similar climate, produces dozens of great footballers every generation yet only one has played for United?

What's the deal?
Why don't many English players play abroad? Better climates, fitter women, better cuisine..... we have a very introverted league with English players who cant survive without Momma making them their fish fingers and spaghetti hoops.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Why don't many English players play abroad? Better climates, fitter women, better cuisine..... we have a very introverted league with English players who cant survive without Momma making them their fish fingers and spaghetti hoops.
It doesn't really answer the question as many Germans play abroad, in England and even for other teams in the north.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm sure it's been said but we had Markus Neumayr and Ron Robert Ziegler on the books. Think they were German.

Bondi77

Didn’t realise that fish had fingers!

Marwood

Because there are sometimes more important things than sun and a decent paella?

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
A nearby country with one of the biggest populations in Europe, similar climate, produces dozens of great footballers every generation yet only one has played for United?

What's the deal?
Think Sir Alex tried a few times to get Mueller and a few others however, many German Talent love staying where they are mainly Bayern or Madrid for the history and climate, yes our history is elite but rainy Manchester or Glorious Sunshine of Spain. Theres been plenty of German talent I wish had played for us and gutted we got Bastian when we did few years earlier he would have been a crucial player. Thats the other thing Bayern usually only allow players to leave when there no use to them ie end of their career or form has completely gone. Dortmund sell because well they have too. Mueller would have been class for us ah what could have been.

Bondi77

There really has not been many good ones that have played in England,
Klinsman at Spurs comes to mind but not much else.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It is odd, but then again less so when you consider most English people's abject foreign language skills.

Which English players were actually successful abroad? Beckham and Lineker kind of, Hargreaves yes but grew up there, then maybe randoms like Ince, Hately and Hoddle?

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
It is odd, but then again less so when you consider most English people's abject foreign language skills.

Which English players were actually successful abroad? Beckham and Lineker kind of, Hargreaves yes but grew up there, then maybe randoms like Ince, Hately and Hoddle?
Ashley Young. :smirk:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
To a degree, sure. But you can say that about Italians rarely leaving their league too. End of the day it is a profession. Most people would prefer to remain in familiar digs on good money than have to learn a brand new culture/language on similar - or as the English league reigns supreme - slightly less money.

It's changing as time progresses, though. You have the likes of Sancho, Bellingham, Lookman, Madueke, Tomori, Vieira, Mavididi, Gomes, Edwards etc. etc. scattered across Europe's bigger leagues at a very young age.

Bondi77

Waddle, Platt, McManaman, Keegan, Sancho, Cunningham.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

We tried for Ballack and a few others but they went elsewhere. I genuinely think the ones of the profile/ability we wanted were already at Bayern

032Devil

For one of the richest clubs in the game, United have almost never gone for the most amazing talents arising in other countries especially in South America. Pele, Maradona, and the like. There have been thousands of great talent but United generally tend to be parochial and conservative in their choice. The other point is, United will pay high prices but never go the extent that eg Real Madrid or Barcelona would.

The could have bought Haaland and Bellingham but weren't prepared to pay that bit extra and their valuation has risen no end.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
For one of the richest clubs in the game, United have almost never gone for the most amazing talents arising in other countries especially in South America. Pele, Maradona, and the like. There have been thousands of great talent but United generally tend to be parochial and conservative in their choice. The other point is, United will pay high prices but never go the extent that eg Real Madrid or Barcelona would.

The could have bought Haaland and Bellingham but weren't prepared to pay that bit extra and their valuation has risen no end.

Haaland (Raiola) wanted a sell-on clause
Bellingham outright snubbed United over lack of guaranteed playtime that Dortmund offered.

What we wanted to pay for them was not an issue, we even rolled out Sir Alex for Jude.

032Devil

Haaland (Raiola) wanted a sell-on clause
Bellingham outright snubbed United over lack of guaranteed playtime that Dortmund offered.

What we wanted to pay for them was not an issue, we even rolled out Sir Alex for Jude.
Ok, United could have put on a sell-on clause. They probably said the same thing to Dortmund. I stand corrected on Bellingham. But, as a general observation I think I'm about correct.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It seems more so a coincidence than anything else, coupled with perhaps the lack of interest among top German players to leave the Bundesliga.

GueRed

I'm sure it's been said but we had Markus Neumayr and Ron Robert Ziegler on the books. Think they were German.
Yes. With his blond locks playing in midfield Neumayr was billed as the German David Beckham for our reserves...

Ron-Robert Zieler the goalie has managed to forge a better career out of the two. A Bundsliga keeper who has a few German National team caps to his name.

The Oracle

Personally I believe the reasons that German football players never sign for Utd, is because of the German history associated with Utd...

- the German's bombed Old Trafford during World War 2
- the Munich air disaster

I honestly think our history overwhelms Germans.

lsd

The Oracle
Personally I believe the reasons that German football players never sign for Utd, is because of the German history associated with Utd...

I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

So this is why Serie A historically had the best of their expats? Because Italy was their ally during the war?

I mean, seriously, Germans did a lot worse than bombing a stadium throughout the WW2, if they would’ve allowed that part of their history to dictate their lives, they wouldn’t leave the country at all. And how can Munich influence them? I can understand the idea of a collective guilt for the WW2 (although I don’t think that it’s applicable in this case), but why would a random German player feel overwhelmed because of Munich?

tenpoless

Dont know who you're referring to. No german ever joined Manchester United but I heard Manchester tennis club had a new member from Germany several years ago and he played tennis with his girlfriend regularly.

Boavista

It seems more so a coincidence than anything else, coupled with perhaps the lack of interest among top German players to leave the Bundesliga.
Yeah pretty sure this is the case. On top of that there weren't that many good German players around in the 2000s. Before that players didn't move around that much, or if they did Italy was a better destination.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Bundesliga is a major competitive league and like Italians, the Germans didn't move abroad as often as the Spanish or French did until recently. Any German player of the requisite quality to play in Fergie's United squads would already be at Bayern.