Why hasn't anyone used this tactic yet?

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Suppose your team is winning. Tell your goalkeeper to just throw the ball at your defenders head and grab it back. Its not illegal because the defender is using his head, and there is little risk because the defender will be really close to the GK. And you can do it to multiple defenders, if one is marked.

Seriously, tell me how this wouldn't work?

Tarrou

The ref would book them for time wasting? Then send them off the next time they did it.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The ref would book them for time wasting? Then send them off the next time they did it.
The ref wouldn't be allowed to do that.

The ball would be legally in play, with no obstruction. Although all it would take would be for one opposition player to follow the keeper and another to stand by the closest defender to stop it.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Eventually they'd mess it up.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
High chance of messing up and it can be counteracted by just putting one player very close to or even between the keeper and defender. That would make heading the ball back repeatedly much too risky.

fontaine

Its impossible to mess it up, if you train it.

You can even sign a REALLY TALL defender and GK, like 7 feet tall. Its impossible to impede them from doing it. As soon as you are up 1-0, you substitute them in.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Eventually they'd mess it up.
When I was about 9 or 10 and still played in goal, my goal kicks were shocking. To combat this problem we devised a plan for me to chip it up to one of the defenders, he'd then head it back to me and I'd be able to kick it out of my hands. Practiced in training and it worked fine. Tried it in our next match and I chipped it too high and the defender had to volley it out for a throw, then with the second and final attempt he headed it the wrong way and nearly scored an own goal.

I can see De Gea throwing it to Smalling, only for him to get right under it and lob it into our own net for an own goal.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Also, the attacker could just commit a harmless foul to stop the cycle.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Surely you could have your defender stand right next to you and just bounce it off his head til the game ends?

Either way the ref would either stop it for some reason or you'd get dogs abuse from the world of football about fair play so no club would do it.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid

You can even sign a REALLY TALL defender and GK, like 7 feet tall. Its impossible to impede them from doing it. As soon as you are up 1-0, you substitute them in.
And you do that for the rest of the game? :lol:

NM

Spirit of the game. Simple as that.

Deleted member 78215

Wouldn't it count as a pass back?

Not a back-pass, but I thought a GK and player couldn't pass it between each other consecutively, if that makes sense...

izec

They would get booed off from the fans if they did it. Playing passes is time wasting too, but this is a bit too much. They wouldnt do it for long.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Oh god.... Phil Jones might just be the first player to score 3 own goals in 1 game if we tried this

fontaine

No one debunked my idea yet.

Harmless foul? If you blatantly push my 7ft defender hard enough for him to fall, thats a yellow.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
No one debunked my idea yet.

Harmless foul? If you blatantly push my 7ft defender hard enough for him to fall, thats a yellow.
NM has. Spirit of the game. Ref has the right to call it. He would eventually give the opposing team an indirect free kick.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox

It'll get messed up. That's a certainty. Not every throw will be perfect anyway, and the attackers wouldn't allow them to have perfect accuracy.
It would require the 'keeper literally standing there for 20 seconds waiting for the defenders to find space at points. At which point they'd be shamed out of it. And there's only so far the 'keeper can throw it without it requiring a ridiculous header back.

Pires and Henry's penalty probably had less risk.... and they still messed it up.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Why not though? The ref can give a card for anything he deems as unsporting behaviour. Surely this would fall under that.
Because it isn't unsporting behaviour, it's just an incredibly boring, and probably ineffective way to try and see out a match. The ref doesn't book players for taking it to the corner and trying to hold it up, and he doesn't book players for knocking it around at the back. Refs can't go around handing out yellow cards just because the football they're officiating has no entertainment value.

mu4c_20le

The first thing opposition strikers would do is push up and stand shoulder to shoulder next to the defenders when they realize the GK isn't going to punt it. Honestly I don't think this will work for more than 1 min before it gets out of control. And OP you are from brazil, im sure you've seen the incidents where a match gets out of control and people start brawling because of something like unnecessary showboating.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I was envisioning some sort of sprinting belly-slide into the ball to knock it back.
Or get the 7ft defender to hold the smallest teammate upside down and use him as a golf club.