Why have we started playing Rashford on the right?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's as much to fit Pogba in on the left rather than Cavani up front. I think the Ole's first choice front 3 is Pogba, Martial, Rashford at the moment.

Kag

Lots of reasons being presented which is strange as hardly seen any posts mention it prior to him being lumped out there. Sheeple will sheeple.
Rather, people are adapting their thinking and attempting to see this from the manager’s point of view. I don’t particularly like Rashford out on the right but it’s very clear why he’s out there, especially in our current context: Martial can’t hit a barn door, Cavani looks sharp, Greenwood is having a bit of a tough time, and Pogba has picked up some form: the only way Ole is getting him into the team in bigger matches is to play him off the left. All in all, Rashford on the right is our least worst option at the moment. Unless you would prefer to see Mata or James, which I don’t expect you would.

As for Rashford, well, if he’s good enough then he’ll make it work. I recall Mane being shifted from right to left when Salah came into the Liverpool team. He struggled for a little while and then got on with it and made it work. If Rashford is going to be a truly great player (and he’s very good) then he needs to get on with it. I expect he has far less of a problem than some of the folk on here.

Lastly, as it really does need hammering, this is what happens when you don’t buy a proper right winger. Hopefully Diallo is the ticket.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rather, people are adapting their thinking and attempting to see this from the manager’s point of view. I don’t particularly like Rashford out on the right but it’s very clear why he’s out there, especially in our current context: Martial can’t hit a barn door, Cavani looks sharp, Greenwood is having a bit of a tough time, and Pogba has picked up some form: the only way Ole is getting him into the team in bigger matches is to play him off the left. All in all, Rashford on the right is our least worst option at the moment. Unless you would prefer to see Mata or James, which I don’t expect you would.

As for Rashford, well, if he’s good enough then he’ll make it work. I recall Mane being shifted from right to left when Salah came into the Liverpool team. He struggled for a little while and then got on with it and made it work. If Rashford is going to be a truly great player (and he’s very good) then he needs to get on with it. I expect he has far less of a problem than some of the folk on here.

Lastly, as it really does need hammering, this is what happens when you don’t buy a proper right winger. Hopefully Diallo is the ticket.
Nah. You play your best players to their strengths, and let the others "make it work" or fight for a place. The idea is to win games and you don't do that by weakening your team just to fit people into roles they aren't suited to. Pogba is even less suited to pretending to be a left winger than Rashford is to pretending to be a right one.

Case and point is we probably lose the game today if we'd set up the team like that. We 100% don't get our first two goals, and Pogba was pretty important in midfield too. Forwarda ar ethe most important players not to stifle because they're the ones that get you goals, and Rashford very rarely scores or assists from the right, and is by a long way our most productive forward playing from the left.

I'm really quite confused why we've had Rashford on the right at all. Greenwood is suited there. Rashford is suited on the left. Cavani can play through the middle, and Martial is in too poor form to be playing anywhere. The front three should be picking themselves until Martial finds some form or one of them gets injured...obviously we have a lot of games so have to mix it up a bit but we've had Rashford on the right against City and Liverpool recently! You don't feck around with it for the games where you need to maximise your strengths.

It's easy to still fit Pogba in because on current form he's first on the teamsheet out of all our midfielders. In the past I'd worry about him defensively against teams like Liverpool but at the moment that side of his game is bizarrely very good.

roseguy64

It's clearly because Greenwood hasn't been good. Not sure how that isn't obvious to you. Ole has just been benching Greenwood to play Rashford on the right for the fun of it.

It's clearly because Greenwood hasn't been good. Not sure how that isn't obvious to you. Ole has just been benching Greenwood to play Rashford on the right for the fun of it.
Thank you.

Half this forum seems to have wool over its eyes when it comes to Greenwood. He'd been shite all season before today, much much worse than Martial, and people have been pretending Solskjaer is tinkering for no reason by leaving him out.

Alek M

Da manic one
Sure. But

If Martial is picked ahead of Greenwood, he should make it work on the right.

Ole should not cater to Martial on the left and then banish Rashford on the right

Rashford has to start on the left at all times. We lacked so much attack when Rashford plays on the right.

justsomebloke

Sure. But

Ole should not cater to Martial on the left and then banish Rashford on the right

Rashford has to start on the left at all times. We lacked so much attack when Rashford plays on the right.
Ole should do what he considers is the best solution for the team as a whole, and not cater to such absolutes.

Kag

Nah. You play your best players to their strengths, and let the others "make it work" or fight for a place. The idea is to win games and you don't do that by weakening your team just to fit people into roles they aren't suited to. Pogba is even less suited to pretending to be a left winger than Rashford is to pretending to be a right one.

Case and point is we probably lose the game today if we'd set up the team like that. We 100% don't get our first two goals, and Pogba was pretty important in midfield too. Forwarda ar ethe most important players not to stifle because they're the ones that get you goals, and Rashford very rarely scores or assists from the right, and is by a long way our most productive forward playing from the left.

I'm really quite confused why we've had Rashford on the right at all. Greenwood is suited there. Rashford is suited on the left. Cavani can play through the middle, and Martial is in too poor form to be playing anywhere. The front three should be picking themselves until Martial finds some form or one of them gets injured...obviously we have a lot of games so have to mix it up a bit but we've had Rashford on the right against City and Liverpool recently! You don't feck around with it for the games where you need to maximise your strengths.

It's easy to still fit Pogba in because on current form he's first on the teamsheet out of all our midfielders. In the past I'd worry about him defensively against teams like Liverpool but at the moment that side of his game is bizarrely very good.
There’s a fair amount of hindsight involved in posting this the morning after Rashford and Greenwood have their best games of the season. A fit and in from Greenwood is our best option on the right; but the reality is that he’s struggled this season and has been unable to nail down a starting spot. If he does what he did yesterday every week then Rashford (or Pogba) won’t need shunted out to the right in his place. At the time, though, it was obvious why Ole did what he did.

Jonno

Cavani is a nailed on starter. This means Martial and Rashford are being utilised in slightly different ways.

We also don't have a RW. Just Greenwood, who until last nights brilliant performance, had been quite a way off starting form.

Understandable that things have been tweaked and tried - Pogba has also started on that RW.

Jonno

Sure. But

I'm fairly certain our manager is always doing the best for the team. Not catering for certain players.

Rashford whilst brilliant on the left, did score a vital 93rd minute winner v's Wolves that helped propel this entire title race, from the right wing.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
What the feck is the logic with us still doing this?

We're playing our top scoring and only regularly scoring forward this season out of position, in order to...play someone else out of position...and then Ole sits there baffled why we can't score and doesn't do anything to change it.

It's infuriating. You just don't see other teams doing stupid shite like this and then stubbornly persisting with it when it clearly starts causing them problems.

This is the problem with Ole. He does a lot of good things, but some of the not so good things he does are just so stupid they are beyond any sensible comprehension.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

We're playing our top scoring and only regularly scoring forward this season out of position, in order to...play someone else out of position...and then Ole sits there baffled why we can't score and doesn't do anything to change it.

It's infuriating. You just don't see other teams doing stupid shite like this and then stubbornly persisting with it when it clearly starts causing them problems.

This is the problem with Ole. He does a lot of good things, but some of the not so good things he does are just so stupid they are beyond any sensible comprehension.
Ye I think he needs to go back on the left - when you first posted this he'd played well on the right on occasion but now there is more sample to judge and it's mostly bad

Problem all stems from having no natural right sided player. Greenwood is the best of the options but it's probably not his ideal position

Anustart89

Rashford left, Greenwood right, Cavani up top. Martial left at home. How hard can it be?

Anustart89

The Sheffield United game was the most idiotic 4D chess move of all time.

Martial’s being terrible. What do you do?

Option A: Cavani on for Martial. Greenwood, Cavani and Rashford play in the positions they’re usually playing
Option B: Get the right winger off for a striker so that the underperforming striker can go to the left wing and the left winger can go to the right wing!

“I’ll go with B”

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Ye I think he needs to go back on the left - when you first posted this he'd played well on the right on occasion but now there is more sample to judge and it's mostly bad

Problem all stems from having no natural right sided player. Greenwood is the best of the options but it's probably not his ideal position
I get the right is a problem (although I think Greenwood is fine there if we don't sub him off every time he goes 60 minutes without scoring a hatrick), but I don't get how anyone possibly comes to the conclusion that the way to solve the problem is to move your best left sided player, to the right, and then replace him on the left with someone who can't play there.

Even the absolute best outcome of this is that all you've done is move the problem from the right to the left. Every other outcome involves both not solving the problem and also creating an entirely new one on the left, which is what has happened. Now we have Pogba or Martial pratting about doing nothing there instead of Rashford who we know will get 20+ goals from that position.

And then we have threads on here trying to figure out why we struggle to score. It's in large part because our management are doing shite like this. How are any of our forward players meant to have any confidence when they are all either in and out of the team or playing in positions they can't play in?

Just fecking pick the best players in their best positions, and if you need to rotate or rest people go from there. It's common sense. As if we are good enough to be even think about trying to needlessly complicate things.

Earlier in the season we were playing very good attacking football for spells in games. It's all but disappeared since we started with this rubbish. We've been relying on just getting goals out of nothing or circus errors from the opposition instead. Only time that changed recently was against Liverpool, in large part due to Rashford being on the fecking left. I thought that would put this to bed but no, apparently Ole doesn't bother himself with actually watching our games and seeing the obvious.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The Sheffield United game was the most idiotic 4D chess move of all time.

Martial’s being terrible. What do you do?

Option A: Cavani on for Martial. Greenwood, Cavani and Rashford play in the positions they’re usually playing
Option B: Get the right winger off for a striker so that the underperforming striker can go to the left wing and the left winger can go to the right wing!

“I’ll go with B”
Exactly this. I felt like turning the game off when he did that.

Rashford and Greenwood weren't having great games, but he managed to come up with the least logical substitution possible and one which would just blatantly have no positive impact on the the game and limit our ability to change or adapt later on.

He did it again today. Took Rashford off for Greenwood. Greenwood should have come on for Fletcher so Rashford could move to the left. It was obvious and it was an opportunity to solve two problems with one sub. Instead Martial came on. Why? What did Ole think he was going to do? He's in the worst form of anyone in the squad and shows no sign of even trying to break out of it. What are the other forward players who can't get a minute of game time meant to be thinking at this point? We keep picking someone who isn't even trying to do anything over them.

It's so frustrating to watch because it's just such a stupid self created problem. Its like watching a boxer keep accidentally punch himself in the face and not figure out that it's his own fist and not his opponent's

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ole seems to be intent on making our forward players more versatile but sooner or later he has to accept the fact that these players strengths are only fully utilised better in the roles they've been brought up into. He's desperate to turn Rashford, Martial and Mason into something resembling Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez. It isn't going to happen.

UncleBob

I can't really begin to understand how someone can see Rashford against Arsenal and come up with the idea that it's because he's playing on the right wing :lol:

He can easily play in Martial

Ignores it, keeps running: The pass to Martial is still on, Martial can then either attempt to take on Luiz or it can be a one two with Rashford running into space to receive the ball again and go for the shot

feck that, keeps running, there's now very little space to play the ball to anyone.

Casually gives the ball away, after ignoring every option to pass the ball

Arsenal instantly counter attack, and they aren't that far away from Pepe being one on one against De Gea, fortunately AWB gets to the ball first

Like below, where he had the oppertunity to pass the ball into open space for AWB, instead of just runs into two Arsenal players and loses the ball

Early into the second half there's this gem after AWB makes a tackle to allow us to counter attack:

He can easily pass the ball into open space for Cavani initially:

Decides that he'll run further with it, still has plenty of options for the pass.

Overhits it and loses the ball.

Then there's this gem right before he's subbed off:

Shooting from that distance when it's 0-0 and you have other options, jesus fecking christ the decision making.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can't really begin to understand how someone can see Rashford against Arsenal and come up with the idea that it's because he's playing on the right wing :lol:

Ignores it, keeps running: The pass to Martial is still on, Martial can then either attempt to take on Luiz or it can be a one two with Rashford running into space to receive the ball again and go for the shot

feck that, keeps running, there's now very little space to play the ball to anyone.

Arsenal instantly counter attack, and they aren't that far away from Pepe being one on one against De Gea, fortunately AWB gets to the ball first

Like below, where he had the oppertunity to pass the ball into open space for AWB, instead of just runs into two Arsenal players and loses the ball

Early into the second half there's this gem after AWB makes a tackle to allow us to counter attack:

Decides that he'll run further with it, still has plenty of options for the pass.

Shooting from that distance when it's 0-0 and you have other options, jesus fecking christ the decision making.
Its frustrating.
The majority of this should be ironed out of his game by now but, largely due to our constant change in management/ coaching when he was breaking through and the different styles/ philosophy's that went with the likes of LVG, Jose and now Ole, we're now witnessing a very talented yet muddled individual.

When Ole came back he was adamant that he wouldn't overcomplicate matters for us (interms of playing personal) but here we are..again.

UncleBob

Its frustrating.
The majority of this should be ironed out of his game by now but, largely due to our constant change in management/ coaching when he was breaking through and the different styles/ philosophy's that went with the likes of LVG, Jose and now Ole, we're now witnessing a very talented yet muddled individual.

When Ole came back he was adamant that he wouldn't overcomplicate matters for us (interms of playing personal) but here we are..again.
What's being overcomplicated? Passing the fecking ball?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Good post. Stupid decisions have nothing to do with positions. Rashford isn't making the right plays consistently

roseguy64

Good post. Stupid decisions have nothing to do with positions. Rashford isn't making the right plays consistently
That's shocking to me. Players should make good decisions regardless of their positions on the pitch? Madness. Being slightly inconvenienced by being limited by playing in a position you're not ideal for means all that's forgiven.
We can attribute Martial not making runs to somehow not being a natural CF and Rashford excessively dribbling to not being a RW. Problem solved.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

He's out of sync with the team, I agree it has nothing to do with where he plays.
Most frustrating is how he stops and waits for movement to pass the ball to someone. How clueless is this team how to move the ball if we need to stop and think.

stw2022

Not only is Rashford played in a slightly different position, he also has to put up with inclement weather, a low sun, chaffing around the foot, might be carrying a knock, a pessimistic horoscope reading and has other stuff in his mind.

Anyone who can’t see that these things are conspiring to make him look like one of those production line of promising young players who turn out to be bang average once they reach their early 20s , needs to go have a word with themselves.

HowieC

Not only is Rashford played in a slightly different position, he also has to put up with inclement weather, a low sun, chaffing around the foot, might be carrying a knock, a pessimistic horoscope reading and has other stuff in his mind.

Anyone who can’t see that these things are conspiring to make him look like one of those production line of promising young players who turn out to be bang average once they reach their early 20s , needs to go have a word with themselves.
The alignment of the sun is critically important to Rashy’s performances. We all know this because he is an academy product and a true manc

Olecurls99

Preparing for when we sign Graelish in the summer
Let's hope. We need Grealish who is a better wide left player than Rashford, mainly because he's got some sort of a left peg and is willing to go outside and inside.

Rashford could turn himself into a Leroy Sane type player for us on the right. He's got the blistering pace and when he beats the left back outside he can either cross or lay out the full back which he's started to do.

Silas

Exactly, it had nothing to do with his position.

Rashford gets a lot of grief on here, but the number of poor excuses that get peddled out is crazy. If he's not out of position he's tired, if he's not tired he's injured, if he's not injured he's being asked to play a new role.

Olecurls99

Yes, shoe-horning is the correct word.
We are just trying to get our attackers all in, but the trouble is they have so much of a preferred position that their form falls of a cliff if not played in that position. Which makes it a lot difficult.
I don't think that's true. Rashford has had plenty of good and bad games on the left and has shown himself to be effective on the right. Martial can't play right because he can't beat a man over there (He's not quick enough) and Cavani is a centre forward. Rashford and Greenwood are our only options out there or Mata if we're gonna have all the ball.

UpWithRivers

Its simple - because we are incapable of buying a RW or should I say an established RW not one that will be ready in 5 years. Mata, James, Lingard were all shoehorned into positions that is not their natural positions. Its Rashfords turn. Lets fk him up as well. In summer we will buy Grealish for the left then Martial and Rashford can share RW. Maybe if he's lucky VDB will get a go as well.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
All the fans are crying for Cavani to start ( a very overrated player imo having watched him miss sitters for every club he played), and crying out for Martial to be dropped.

Greenwood is nowhere near some sort of form (yet the fans want to use him alot?) And Rashford is the only second RW we have even though he clearly should not be playing there.

The martial, Cavani Rashford combination was good as an alternative- but to have it as our main attacking combination for game after game is wrong.

Cavani needs a good bunch of chances to put one in the net and Rashford and Martial out wide isnt going to create much for him. I said this about Haaland, we can buy the guy but having Rashford and Greenwood as our wingers is going to significantly reduce his ability to score a poachers goal because they are not the players to supply him.

UpWithRivers

Agree its a monumentally sht play but Id argue Rashford is an instinctual player. When he's in the groove he does all this instinctively. When you push him on the RW he loses this as he has to retrain his natural actions.

Josep Dowling

With Greenwood now out of form we are trying hard to find a solution. The solution was to buy a new player. We didn’t and now we are suffering. We have had a similar situation so many times in recent years. The Sanchez situation was exactly the same, though Martial was pushed out to the right that time. Over 10 years since we last signed a proper RW. It’s incompetence by management not to see such a weakness.

Red_toad

Ole needs to stick Marcus in his best position, hes one of the most influential players in the team, but is looking a tad low on confidence right now. Playing him on the right is only going to compound his confidence issues. Rashford Martial or Cavani, then Mason on the right is our best attacking line up currently. Play them, they will pick up and improve, all the constant swapping and changing starting formations is not really helping in my opion, rest players by subbing them off at set points, start with your best 11 available.

stw2022

All the fans are crying for Cavani to start ( a very overrated player imo having watched him miss sitters for every club he played), and crying out for Martial to be dropped.

Greenwood is nowhere near some sort of form (yet the fans want to use him alot?) And Rashford is the only second RW we have even though he clearly should not be playing there.

The martial, Cavani Rashford combination was good as an alternative- but to have it as our main attacking combination for game after game is wrong.

Cavani needs a good bunch of chances to put one in the net and Rashford and Martial out wide isnt going to create much for him. I said this about Haaland, we can buy the guy but having Rashford and Greenwood as our wingers is going to significantly reduce his ability to score a poachers goal because they are not the players to supply him.
You realise Ronaldo has missed sitters in his career too and will continue to do so as has every single player to have ever played football?

It’s like claiming someone is overrated because you’ve seen evidence of them being offside

Olecurls99

Bang average? Have a word with yourself will ya

Olecurls99

Its frustrating.

Come on Drebin. How is it Ole's fault that Rashford can't make simple decisions on either side of the pitch?

redshaw

His best position is on the left and has been one our most lethal players from there, the Rashford Bruno Shaw combo in now broken, our jewel attack. With a completely off form Martial and Rashford doing a job on the right we have two wide positions doing poorly.

When McTom went off it should've been Rashford switching to the left and putting someone on the right like Mason. Mata has done well coming on this season and I feel would've linked up well in that Arsenal game in particular but wasn't on the bench.

From now on we should play Rashford in his best position. Rashford and Bruno are our two best players, please stop fecking around Ole. Definitely not a time to be doing this after getting to the top of the table and being one of the form teams in the last 12 months by not doing this.

Play Mason there, Mata, James. When Martial is off form drop him for Cavani, for the love of god don't try to put an off form sulky Martial in Rashford's place and stick our best attacker on the right.