Why I don't think we should sack Solskjaer...now

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
So i have vehemently defended Ole so far and had plenty of discussion with people on this forum on the subject. Yes i have given him more rope because i loved him as a player, i am fully admitting that, but considering our situation i would have been willing to give most managers plenty of time.

Aston Villa was a breaking point for me though. Not because that game was so much worse than any other game this season, but because it became abundantly clear to me that this "progress" i thought i was seeing was just wishful thinking. We started scoring again, but at the same time we forgot how to defend. The squad is the worst United squad i have seen, but we should be doing better than this. In other words: Ole isnt making the most of this squad, but the big question is why?

Tactics gets mentioned a lot, which is something i disagree with. Yes 4231 when all of our #10 options are terrible seems like a bad idea, but we dont really have the right players for 433 either. Team selections have also largely been pretty decent in my opinion. Yes Pereria is fecking horrible, and lots of people are crying out for Garner, but throwing an 18 year old into a dysfunctional side like this could be disastrous both for the player and for the team. We also had a couple of matches: Liverpool, Chelsea, and the comeback vs Sheffield where Ole has shown some tactical nous, so i dont think his tactics are all that bad.

What i do see though is a bunch of players, limited as they might be, constantly making the wrong decisions and lacking any real fight and THAT is on the manager. Just at the top of my head and in no particular order of importance this is what i see again and again it is absolutely infuriating

1) We put in cross after cross with no one at the end of it. Very often its James who gets down to the line and he zips one in between the goalie and their defense. Everyone who has watched football knows where that fecking ball is going to come, yet time and time again there is just one maybe two players even near the goal, and both of them are hanging out at the edge of the box or maybe one of them has taken up some useless position at the back post. Every other team seems able to do this, yet we dont

2) There is no fight in us. Ole has talked loads about improving fitness and mentality, which i thought looked better for a while, but turned out to be nothing. It seems pretty much every lose ball ends up with the opponent because no one is willing to get stuck in so we have 5 players ball watching, hoping that someone else goes into the duel because they wont.

3) The distance between defense-midfield and midfield-attack is fecking huge and that link is just not there. I watched a few Sheffield games this year and how they move as a unit is fascinating to watch. Everyone is moving all the time so they are never outnumbered and thus often have plenty of passing options. When we try to play for the back though we end up wide 9/10 because our CB's only have our fullbacks as passing options.

4) This is closely connected to #3 and #1, but we never seem to attack in numbers. Once one of James, Rashford or Martial has the ball it seems everyone else just stops and hope they will sort it out. I am not saying our CM's should charge into the box, but at the very least they should move up to pile on the pressure and be the first on on lose balls that fall down around the box.

5) Our mentality is severely lacking. We seem to be playing with a sort of an arrogance we have NOT deserved. Time and time again this year we have only started playing only after we have went down and we cant hang onto a lead if our lives depended on it. It seems these players think they are much better than they actually are and its unacceptable that it keeps happening. Fergie would never let this kind of nonsense stand

6) Movement is fecking shit. All over the pitch. Zombie football is not something new under Ole, but it has not improved either

All that taken into consideration, does Ole deserve to be sacked? Yes, he probably does. This squad is bad, but it is not THAT bad either, but i still think its a bad idea to sack him now for a couple of very important reasons.
1) The only available "top" coaches who are available now are Poch and Allegri and i dont trust either of them to turn this around. Allegri would be Jose v2 in my eyes and that is not what we need right now. Poch is a favorite among many here, but i dont trust him either for some key reasons
1a) Despite popular belief he never built that Spurs side and had nothing to do with transfers
1b) He had a very good squad at his disposal and never won a thing. No offense to Poch, but he seems like a massive bottler to me
2) Taking over this fecking trainwreck puts any new manager in a very difficult spot. The only thing you can realistically change right away is tactics and i sincerely doubt that would be enough to turn us around. Coaching and change in mentality takes a lot of time, so realistically we would be around March-April before we could see some real changes. People will point to the new manager bounce we had under Ole, but that had more to do with the players being relieved of Jose being gone and it seemed many of them had a point to prove (which is pretty maddening to be honest, they play like demons when they wanted to one up Jose but cant be bothered now? Feck off)
3) If we change managers now we wont be doing any business in January, which we badly need

Ole looks like he was the wrong man for us. No shame in not being a Man Utd manager, very few are but i firmly believe the best thing for us is to stick with him until the end of the year and then let the new manager have the preseason and the transfer window. Who? Julian Nagelsmann looks very impressive to me and hopefully we can convince him to come here. I read some articles about him and what he has done is incredibly impressive for a 32 year old. But even if he was available today i would have waited because i dont want any manager to get thrown into this shitshow. Let them start the new season with blank slates and hopefully a better squad

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Top post. Couldn't agree more and I think you've covered everything I would want too.

DoomSlayer

I agree with pretty much everything in the post.

We are so fecked under this board, how this twat Woodward has a job is beyond me.

Judas

Open to offers
I genuinely worry how far we could sink if he has till the end of the season. Before I thought mid table at worse, but we're completely relying on Pogba coming back and being a super hero to rescue us.

If we ever are in the bottom three, he has to go instantly, it's that simple for me.

MrVolley

So i have vehemently defended Ole so far and had plenty of discussion with people on this forum on the subject. Yes i have given him more rope because i loved him as a player, i am fully admitting that, but considering our situation i would have been willing to give most managers plenty of time.

Aston Villa was a breaking point for me though. Not because that game was so much worse than any other game this season, but because it became abundantly clear to me that this "progress" i thought i was seeing was just wishful thinking. We started scoring again, but at the same time we forgot how to defend. The squad is the worst United squad i have seen, but we should be doing better than this. In other words: Ole isnt making the most of this squad, but the big question is why?

Tactics gets mentioned a lot, which is something i disagree with. Yes 4231 when all of our #10 options are terrible seems like a bad idea, but we dont really have the right players for 433 either. Team selections have also largely been pretty decent in my opinion. Yes Pereria is fecking horrible, and lots of people are crying out for Garner, but throwing an 18 year old into a dysfunctional side like this could be disastrous both for the player and for the team. We also had a couple of matches: Liverpool, Chelsea, and the comeback vs Sheffield where Ole has shown some tactical nous, so i dont think his tactics are all that bad.

What i do see though is a bunch of players, limited as they might be, constantly making the wrong decisions and lacking any real fight and THAT is on the manager. Just at the top of my head and in no particular order of importance this is what i see again and again it is absolutely infuriating

1) We put in cross after cross with no one at the end of it. Very often its James who gets down to the line and he zips one in between the goalie and their defense. Everyone who has watched football knows where that fecking ball is going to come, yet time and time again there is just one maybe two players even near the goal, and both of them are hanging out at the edge of the box or maybe one of them has taken up some useless position at the back post. Every other team seems able to do this, yet we dont

2) There is no fight in us. Ole has talked loads about improving fitness and mentality, which i thought looked better for a while, but turned out to be nothing. It seems pretty much every lose ball ends up with the opponent because no one is willing to get stuck in so we have 5 players ball watching, hoping that someone else goes into the duel because they wont.

3) The distance between defense-midfield and midfield-attack is fecking huge and that link is just not there. I watched a few Sheffield games this year and how they move as a unit is fascinating to watch. Everyone is moving all the time so they are never outnumbered and thus often have plenty of passing options. When we try to play for the back though we end up wide 9/10 because our CB's only have our fullbacks as passing options.

4) This is closely connected to #3 and #1, but we never seem to attack in numbers. Once one of James, Rashford or Martial has the ball it seems everyone else just stops and hope they will sort it out. I am not saying our CM's should charge into the box, but at the very least they should move up to pile on the pressure and be the first on on lose balls that fall down around the box.

5) Our mentality is severely lacking. We seem to be playing with a sort of an arrogance we have NOT deserved. Time and time again this year we have only started playing only after we have went down and we cant hang onto a lead if our lives depended on it. It seems these players think they are much better than they actually are and its unacceptable that it keeps happening. Fergie would never let this kind of nonsense stand

6) Movement is fecking shit. All over the pitch. Zombie football is not something new under Ole, but it has not improved either

All that taken into consideration, does Ole deserve to be sacked? Yes, he probably does. This squad is bad, but it is not THAT bad either, but i still think its a bad idea to sack him now for a couple of very important reasons.
1) The only available "top" coaches who are available now are Poch and Allegri and i dont trust either of them to turn this around. Allegri would be Jose v2 in my eyes and that is not what we need right now. Poch is a favorite among many here, but i dont trust him either for some key reasons
1a) Despite popular belief he never built that Spurs side and had nothing to do with transfers
1b) He had a very good squad at his disposal and never won a thing. No offense to Poch, but he seems like a massive bottler to me
2) Taking over this fecking trainwreck puts any new manager in a very difficult spot. The only thing you can realistically change right away is tactics and i sincerely doubt that would be enough to turn us around. Coaching and change in mentality takes a lot of time, so realistically we would be around March-April before we could see some real changes. People will point to the new manager bounce we had under Ole, but that had more to do with the players being relieved of Jose being gone and it seemed many of them had a point to prove (which is pretty maddening to be honest, they play like demons when they wanted to one up Jose but cant be bothered now? Feck off)
3) If we change managers now we wont be doing any business in January, which we badly need

Ole looks like he was the wrong man for us. No shame in not being a Man Utd manager, very few are but i firmly believe the best thing for us is to stick with him until the end of the year and then let the new manager have the preseason and the transfer window. Who? Julian Nagelsmann looks very impressive to me and hopefully we can convince him to come here. I read some articles about him and what he has done is incredibly impressive for a 32 year old. But even if he was available today i would have waited because i dont want any manager to get thrown into this shitshow. Let them start the new season with blank slates and hopefully a better squad
A long post justifying why Ole shouldn't be sacked.

Here's a short post on why he should.....

27.3% win rate since being given the permanent job. And the sample size of games is large enough to make that decision.

I can see Ole getting fired if we lose to Spurs

soapythecat

I'm still part of the Ole in crowd. I think he could be doing better but i'm convinced he has surrounded himself with the wrong people.
We have no top quality, elite coaches with enough experience to coach this side properly (my thoughts, clearly I don't have knowledge of how they train). We noticed this under Jose when his assistance left. The decline has been evident for us all to see. Our signings are not improving, which indicated poor coaching and confidence.
We all know the squad is paper thin. Ole knows this too. He is doing as much as possible in selecting the best players available I think - he had to start Mata yesterday, it was either him or Lingered! He's playing Williams ahead of Young, which we all want, and I'm sure when Pogba comes back, alongside McT, then Perreira will be dropped too.
He needs backing in January with at least 2 quality players. We won't get any, for this i'm sure.
Do I think Poch is a better manager - Yes! But i'm still in the frame of mind that Ole is a couple of signings away from getting us top 4 (puts on tin hat for incoming……).

freeurmind

weak willed
I agree wholheartedly with this. The point about our transition play is especially poignant.

Raw

I'm just so bored of the constant managerial sackings with no clear plan in sight. I want Ole out but if we're just going to bring in a new manager without any form of planning then what's the point? With the shit for brains running the club, we're just going to end up in the same position. Playing shite football after spending hundreds of millions on shite players.

It's especially frustrating when Arsenal and Spurs have been crap too, and Chelsea have been dropping quite a few points recently. We could easily be in the top 4 if we were even competent enough to beat sides we're expected to beat (though I'm sure fans of those other clubs are thinking the same thing).

A clear plan in place is all I want to see. Some form of strategic planning and footballing infrastructure to oversee the huge overhaul we sorely need. But no, Ed shithead Woodward is in charge and we're going nowhere.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Wait, so we shouldn't sack Ole because there are no good enough candidates available. Pochettino and Alegri would be too big a risk and unlikely to succeed so we should wait for Naglesmann who has managed Hoffhenheim and recently started at Leipzig?

No risk there at all. Let's continue and let a guy who even you agree is not good enough spend more money.

Great plan.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Agree with you about Allegri and Poch. I would rather go for a Nagelsmann, Rose type but with a DOF. Someone who is showing they can improve players. Can't see it happening though, they will go for the usual and no DOF and then spend lots of money on the wrong players and then start denying the same manager funds. Just think with these owners and Woodward we are well and truly fecked.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

27.3% win rate since being given the permanent job. And the sample size of games is large enough to make that decision.

Did you read it? I said he probably deserves to be sacked, but doing it right now is not a good idea

I also think everyone here knows our problems go way beyond the manager, so i dont think Poch or anyone else for that matter is very tempted to jump into this shitshow

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
… Poch is a favorite among many here, but i dont trust him either for some key reasons
1a) Despite popular belief he never built that Spurs side and had nothing to do with transfers …
This is not true. He was part of a three-man transfer committee, alongside Levy and the Chief Scout, Steve Hitchen.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

You didn't actually read it, did you? The post is justifying why he deserves the sack, but it might not be in our best interest to do so.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'm still part of the Ole in crowd. I think he could be doing better but i'm convinced he has surrounded himself with the wrong people.
We have no top quality, elite coaches with enough experience to coach this side properly (my thoughts, clearly I don't have knowledge of how they train). We noticed this under Jose when his assistance left. The decline has been evident for us all to see. Our signings are not improving, which indicated poor coaching and confidence.
We all know the squad is paper thin. Ole knows this too. He is doing as much as possible in selecting the best players available I think - he had to start Mata yesterday, it was either him or Lingered! He's playing Williams ahead of Young, which we all want, and I'm sure when Pogba comes back, alongside McT, then Perreira will be dropped too.
He needs backing in January with at least 2 quality players. We won't get any, for this i'm sure.
Do I think Poch is a better manager - Yes! But i'm still in the frame of mind that Ole is a couple of signings away from getting us top 4 (puts on tin hat for incoming……).
January will show if the club are arsed about the position we are in. If we don't make signings then it will be years and years of nothing, because this season will just fade away and then the summer window will be nearly impossible.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think if Pochettino or Nagelsmann are available at this moment then it really makes no sense to keep him. We'd be giving him a transfer window to buy players instead of them. They'd be able to spend the rest of this season assessing the squad instead of having to come in in the summer and do it then.

it really makes no sense to keep him unless no manager that the club want is available, and seeing as we know Woodward wanted Pochettino before, you'd hope it's only because he's not available til the summer that we're not pulling the plug.

svn

It's clear that Ole's appointment (and continued employment) is focused on long term success rather than what happens in the short term. His current win rate is pretty irrelevant to the discussion, because he's not being measured against what happens this season.

Varun

Staff
Check with Negelsmann if he's willing to come in end of season. If not, check with Marco Rose.

If both say No, get Poch or Rodgers and sack him now.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Poch didn't improve players or build a team? Forgot the superstars Alli, Kane, Rose, Dembele, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Walker, Trippier, Dier, Son were before he arrived.

All world class players. People do spout some nonsense.

The Bloody-Nine

It's clear that Ole's appointment is focused on long term success rather than what happens in the short term. His current win rate is pretty irrelevant to the discussion, because he's not being measured against what happens this season.
His performance as manager is irrelevant to the discussion about his performance as manager, because who knows, things might pick up in a year.

Massive Spanner

Poch didn't improve players or build a team? Forgot the superstars Alli, Kane, Rose, Dembele, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Walker, Trippier, Dier, Son were before he arrived.

All world class players. People do spout some nonsense.
A lot of posters on here like to downplay Poch in order to defend Ole, because he's such an obvious replacement.

Massive Spanner

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I agree with your analysis, but not with the conclusion.

1) Being out of a job isn't the only way to be available. Brendan Rodgers wasn't "available" when Leicester hired him. They just felt they were a bigger club (atm) than Celtic, so they poached him off of them. Do we still think of ourselves as a huge club? Then surely we can get someone who isn't just sitting on a couch waiting for a call. Why not Nagelsmann for example? Surely he could be tempted with the right wage offer and a promise of a healthy transfer kitty?

2) That argument will still stand in the summer, after we inevitably finish midtable this season. Why not swallow our pride now and give a new manager a half season head start. Again, look at Leicester. Had they waited till the summer to ditch Puel, they probably wouldn't be this good yet.

3) Why would we not spend with a new manager? That could be part of a plan to somewhat save this season. Bring in a fresh face and boost the squad he has to work with with a couple of attacking options.

I'd say you've actually made a strong argument on why we definitely should sack him sooner than later :)

Greck

I'd be happy if Ole could keep it together till the end of the season when we could get someone else but I just know he's so bad that that's a monumental task for him.

We just entered November and he has lost so much fan support and he's sure to continue losing and drawing because that's who he is as a manager. Another month of this will be hard enough to tell fans to be patient but five more months would be unimaginable

iamreddevil

Given the position we are currently, I'd give an arm and a leg to reach the finals of any competition that we take part in. Do I've the confidence in Poch taking us to europa final? he might not, but do I have the confidence in Ole to take us to the Europa Finals - There is a definitive answer and it is a big NO. I'd rather want to be backing a manager who could take us to the finals and lose than be in the current abject situation. Also objectively speaking, we are not better than last season. Forget last season, we are deteriorating this season itself. The feeling of "we have a stable back 4" is eroding with every game since the start of the season. Time for a change and Poch gets my nod over Allegri only for the fact that he has a Premier League experience.

Cait Sith

What are the chances that someone whose only experience is Norwegian league + Cardiff during relegation and who isn't doing well at all at United right now, will turn out a top coach if only given more time?

Slim, I would say. On that basis, you could give the job to literally anyone and wait 5 years and hope that it somehow clicks.

b82REZ

It's clear that Ole's appointment (and continued employment) is focused on long term success rather than what happens in the short term. His current win rate is pretty irrelevant to the discussion, because he's not being measured against what happens this season.
If you believe that you're delusional. There's no way he's not being judged on his performances.

IMO this season will mirror LvGs last season. He'll stay until the end of the season and then Woodward will sack him and bring in Poch.

By then the damage will be done though. Likely no European football at all and a squad of overpaid and underperforming players.

Enigma_87

You know who
He needs to be sacked with immediate effect. All players, including the ones he brought lately, have regressed. The team play and results have also regressed. He's doing more damage with every week at helm. Absolutely no point in keeping him.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
I'm in two minds about this. I do feel we should give Ole the full season and despite poor results I feel we aren't to far away from seeing improvements. Mctomminay back and 1 or 2 signings and we will be in a far better position. But at the same time I'm concerned we will miss out on the likes of Brendan Rogers or Poch, who could end up at Arsenal and see them improve dramatically, leaving us left behind again.

If I had to decide i'd say give Ole the rest of the season and if we haven't seen major improvments then go for Rogers at the end of the season.

TrueRed79

Not a bad post and agree with some points and also some good rationale around what you have said. But let's not get silly here at the same time. To say we shouldn't hire someone like Pochettino is laughable. The budgets and constraints he worked under at Spurs were immense. Like seriously come on. He had three transfer windows with no signings and got them to a CL final. Consistently qualified for the CL when Spurs were mere pretenders to get into it. Stop with the nonsensical points.

Robbie Boy

I can't even imagine the mess we'll be in if he stays until the end of the season.

Paul_Scholes18

I would bring in Allegri if we can. It will be hard to save this season though. Although I think a manager like Allegri should be able to win the europa league.

Skills

Snitch
Get a caretaker in and do it the proper way this time.

Caretaker till the end of the season, DOF by the start of summer who appoints a head coach in the summer.

Ignore the fans, who will try to egg you into making stupid/emotional decisions if the caretaker does well.