Why is Ed Woodward held in such contempt?

Giggsy13

Matt Judge will take over and we’ll beat him with the same stick as we did Ed, but the problem isn’t them, the leeches need to feck off and sell.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Why are all assuming that Ed ran with the Super League? This was the Glazers. Ed Woodward works for them just like Ole. So Ole gets a pass because he is the manager but Ed doesn't? He was already going to resign this year which has now come out. So maybe it was not all good between the Glazers and Ed. He may have decided that the League was not worth his time and given his resignation and due to the super league, the news has now come out where he is a scapegoat.

Him being bad at transfers is one thing, but holding him responsible for the super league is weird.
Ed Woodward worked at JP Morgan before the takeover.

Why do you think JP Morgan was crucial in getting funding?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Orchestrating the takeover of the club on debt which is still not paid.
His capability on football matters.
His morals in lying to fans and colleagues, as evidenced by recent events.
Keeping his mates, such as Matt Judge, who know nothing about football matters employed at the club.
Ridiculous press statements and lack of accountability.
His arrogance in not recruiting a capable football person to help him after failing for year after year.
Despite the above thinking he's Billy big bollocks.
Keeping Phil Jones.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
he slows down and then speeds up in the left hand lane of the motorway. he leaves used tea bags in the small sink. he pretends to wash his hands after using the toilet. he coughs in the cinema. he sighs loudly whenever in a queue of people. he nudges people when they’re tying their laces. he pisses on the seat and doesn’t wipe it. he overwrites the number 1 car seat memory when he borrows your car. he never buys a round. he interrupts you mid anecdote. he leaves the lid off the tea bag jar and puts the wet spoon back in the sugar. he runs with a weird gait. he attracts wasps.
He’s Henderson?

I’ve missed you Rimmy

Infra-red

I can't understand why everyone hates the investment banker who masterminded the leveraged buyout that landed the club a billion pounds in debt before going on to oversee the most disastrous decade in the club's recent on-field history, whilst bragging about being able to do things other clubs could only dream of.

Yep, can't quite put my finger on it.
Amazing that this needs to be repeated on a United forum. How can any United fan not be aware of this snivelling dickhead's CV.

He will never get another job in football. Good riddance.

Cast5

Is this really a question? The Glazers for all there hate have invested money over the last 6 years the biggest downfall in them is hiring and backing incompetent people like Woodward
The Glazers have been around for more than 6 years mate, I think they’ve been around for millions of years, some of them are melting though.

caid

He’s been at the club for eight years, and I’ve never quite understood the extreme revulsion and hatred for him, even before this latest ESL fiasco. I was equally bemused when supporters turned up and threatened him outside his house. I can’t remember him saying anything or doing anything to deserve this level of disdain, and I hear news of his resignation tonight met with ‘this is the best news since we won the treble in 1999’.

Surely the anger is best directed at the Glazers? Or is he thought of as part of them, and an attack on him is an attack on the Glazers? I haven’t even heard anywhere near the same level of abuse or loathing towards them as towards Ed.

From my perspective it seems he was a guy following orders and (trying) to work in the best interests of the club. Is the anger actually aimed at the Glazers and he’s the figure that’s easiest to target?

Please excuse my ignorance if I am missing something obvious.
It is, via Ed Woodward. He's present, the glazers aren't.
Also he's been pretty inept in his own right.

ti vu

Whlie Woodward acting on Glazers interest, he himself by all accounts act in a very sleazy way. You may feel sorry for the worker who have no choice but to do exact what his boss tells him. However, in Woodward case, he seems like enjoying Glazers' greedy plan. Feel as if he even amplifies what instructions he received from the Glazers.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He resided over Moyes, Van Gaal and Jose. We spent over £900m in that time. What do we have to show for it?
Moyes was Fergie's suggestion. But the others were CV-based/outside consultant appointments without much understanding of the DNA of the club and how United's approach to football of the past.

But Moyes had as much to do with tearing up the fabric as the last two by getting rid of the institutional knowledge built up over the decades and sacking the staff.

sglowrider

Whlie Woodward acting on Glazers interest, he himself by all accounts act in a very sleazy way. You may feel sorry for the worker who have no choice but to do exact what his boss tells him. However, in Woodward case, he seems like enjoying Glazers' greedy plan. Feel as if he even amplifies what instructions he received from the Glazers.
Niot sure that's an appropriate term to describe Woodward. More apt for Martin Edwards.

sglowrider

Ironic that he chooses to resign at a time when the club has arguably been at its most stable during his tenure (Super League farce excluded). Let’s just hope whoever replaces him is an improvement, who knows, certainly no guarantees with the glaziers involved. Better the devil you know sometimes!
Give him credit -- he recognised his past mistakes and developed a structure (of football and technical director) to bring in a more stable structure and approach going forward -- rather than his zig-zag approach of Moyes (pragmatism), LVG (new philosophy) and then Jose (pragmatism).

Let's hope the new boss will be so open with this idea and not try to implement new radical ideas which a lot of new bosses like to show impact rather than continuity.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Nice that we're not the only ones who seem to hold him in contempt.

Witchking

Ed Woodward worked at JP Morgan before the takeover.

Why do you think JP Morgan was crucial in getting funding?
I think he majorly ties in with JP Morgan financing the whole thing having worked there previously. It was a seriously ambitious and risky move but he messed it up like almost everything else he’s done since the takeover. Hopefully his leaving is one step closer to getting the glazers out. in the meantime they are probably going to need to hire another Woodward type to manage their massive debt and dividends and give the leftovers to the club to sort out the team.
Was going to respond that we don't know if he was the one reaching out to JP Morgan and that we are just crucifying him for working there prior to joining United.

Then just noticed the tweet on this page. So maybe he is the one in the middle of an this nonsense.

RedDevil@84

He’s been at the club for eight years, and I’ve never quite understood the extreme revulsion and hatred for him, even before this latest ESL fiasco. I was equally bemused when supporters turned up and threatened him outside his house. I can’t remember him saying anything or doing anything to deserve this level of disdain, and I hear news of his resignation tonight met with ‘this is the best news since we won the treble in 1999’.

Surely the anger is best directed at the Glazers? Or is he thought of as part of them, and an attack on him is an attack on the Glazers? I haven’t even heard anywhere near the same level of abuse or loathing towards them as towards Ed.

From my perspective it seems he was a guy following orders and (trying) to work in the best interests of the club. Is the anger actually aimed at the Glazers and he’s the figure that’s easiest to target?

Because he runs the club in the way it is run. Gross incompetence

1. Managerial signings:
The team has no vision, no long term plan, nothing that makes any sense. Moyes, may not have been his choice, but the next 2 were his signings. They clearly show he had no plan or never bothered to recruit a team that could make up a plan. LVG signed to get his total football philosophy. Everyone and the dog knows sideways passing and strict roles for players comes with it. Fans got bored for obvious reasons.
Dumps LVG like a rag and signs Jose. What do we know about Jose. Loud mouthed, arrogant, defensive football, throws players under the bus to get a reaction, needs tall, strong players as signings, needs specific signings. Ed decides that's what the club needs. And then what happens. Fans and players get angry. Refuses Jose the signings he wanted. And as expected, it all goes down south in typical Jose fashion. Dumps Jose.

2. Player recruitment:
Although it maybe less in terms of revenues generated, Glazers have more than decently funded our signing spree based on the likes/dislikes of the managers at the helm. But our recruitment policy has serious flaws. We have no long term vision or plans and seem to make random signings. Even if we make random signings, we have a major problem of overplaying for players. Our negotiation team is really incapable of selling our plans to the player/club, in order to reduce prices. We always seem to need to throw an extra pile of cash to seal the deal.
While teams negotiate multiple players, we struggle to close 1-2 deals. Most of the players we sign up seem to be 3rd choice players who are signed for first choice prices. And then we tend to pay huge salaries for mediocre players. Thus driving up the entire salary bucket in the team.
In the end because of the high salaries, we cannot shift deadwood. And any sales we try to do, everyone wants to pay us peanuts. While teams like Chelsea negotiate 30M kind of deals for their unwanted players, we struggle to get 10-15M.

And then comes our scouting system. Not sure what our scouts do, but we never seem to be able to catch any upcoming talents, early. We have made a few recent signings in this regard, but our scouting system fails to spot talents and get them on the cheap. We are always chasing some 100M target whom 10 clubs are chasing.

Although it is true that Woodward was in the job only because of Glazers and so all blame on Woodward automatically goes on tp Glazers, there is no doubt that Woodward was way out of his depth and didn't do jacks**t to try to overcome the problems at the club.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Is there one particular poster who defends him or is it a group effort, like some ongoing performance art piece?
A bunch of low post count posters praising a few of actively pro-Ed posters.

Foxbatt

I think he was going to leave at the end of the year to take a more prominent position on the super league board.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses

He brought the Glazers in, who helped themselves to alot more money than they've put in, which wasn't a lot in the first place.

Wasted money of a succession of bad footballing choices (manager/players)

He just tried to destroy the footballing pyramid, to replace it with a bastardisation of the American Franchise system.

He looks like the love child of Ian Hislop.

Synders

IMO its just easier to blame him as he was the face of the owner than to blame the owner directly...
It's like when the team don't play well, the manager will always take the majority of criticism...
I won't deny his achievement for sponsorship deal, though his transfer deal were an absolute disaster...
In the ideal world, he take charge of sponsorship and other person who know football take charge of the transfer and manager appointment will be great...
Though it all changes when he push the ESL forward without even discuss it with players and manager...

Falcow

I would suggest you would be judging by your audacity to lay equal blame at the feet of Fergie....
Respectfully (this time) you might be too young to remember some of the nonsense that went on with Fergie,unfortunately I am not, so here is a quick reminder:

1. Rock of Gibraltar, one of the catalysts that lead to the sale of the club to the Glazers. 2. Public bj's to the Glazers at every given opportunity telling the world how they are such great owners. 3 David Moyes, enough said there (though I blame Gill equally for not having a succession plan in place and allowing Fergie to nominate his successor).
4. Pogba fisco (that worked out well). 5. His no value in the market bull shit leading to signing Michael Owen, not signing Hazard due to a few mill in agent fees and not signing a midfielder for God knows how long - forget about appointing Moyes for a sec....how long do you think this point on under investment alone set us back?

All these things considered/combined I would argue are as bad as anything that Woodward has done, yes he assisted the Glazers in buying the club but it would be extremely naive to suggest that the sale would not have gone ahead without Woodward, there are no shortage of investment Bankers that can advise on the sale of a business, though posters in here seem to think otherwise. Where his skill does seem to have been unique is in the commercialization of the club - was that a good or bad in your view?

You can take the RAWK approach and ignore all of that however if you chose.

Skills

Snitch
A lot of it is centered around our fanbases fetish/hero worship of managers. The fanbase needed a villain for the club's failures, while the more sensible clubs and their fanbases hold the managers/head coaches to account - our fans went after the only other public figure involved in the running of the club (i.e. the CEO - who's role should be judged solely on the business aspects of the club by the club's shareholders).

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Manchester United tried to lure Jurgen Klopp away from Borussia Dortmund in 2014 by describing themselves as “an adult version of Disneyland.”

“an adult version of Disneyland.”
Someone should actually build that theme park.

Maybe that's what Ed will devote himself to, after leaving as CEO?

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He got paid a couple of million a year to do a really shit job, he's a slimy Glazer stooge, and he's got a face that even a mother would never tire of slapping.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
A lot of it is centered around our fanbases fetish/hero worship of managers. The fanbase needed a villain for the club's failures, while the more sensible clubs and their fanbases hold the managers/head coaches to account - our fans went after the only other public figure involved in the running of the club (i.e. the CEO - who's role should be judged solely on the business aspects of the club by the club's shareholders).
How's the share price looking?

What a load of old bollocks. He got him and his mate Judge in it way out of their depth with the transfer negotiations, and you can talk about Fergie picking out Moyes or whatever but ultimately Woodward and/or his Glazer overlords were the guys who picked out 3 managers that really didn't fit, and backed up a lot of their worse ideas in the transfer market whilst denying some of their better ones e.g. Maguire was available for £50m when Mourinho identified the need for him.

Plus he runs his office out of fecking London, despite being the chairman of Man Utd, what a bellend.

Lastwolf

It's basically built over time and it's swung back and forth over the years and people attribute things to him that he may or may not deserve (both positive and negative).

One of the first interviews he ever did, he said "We're Manchester United, we can do things in the transfer market that others can't even dream of"

Fans heard "We can buy anyone"

What actually happened, sent random lawyers to buy Ander Herrera who had no idea what they were doing, tried to nickel and dime in 2.5 million increments on the transfer of Fabergas (to the point where they got mad and sold to someone else for less) and ultimately over paid for Fellaini after forgetting a buy out clause expired the week before or some nonsense.

As more and more has come out and been pieced together rightly or wrongly, as the CEO the buck stops with him. Mind you the Owners are just as bad but it's harder to force them out.

Ludens the Red

Respectfully (this time) you might be too young to remember some of the nonsense that went on with Fergie,unfortunately I am not, so here is a quick reminder:

1. Rock of Gibraltar, one of the catalysts that lead to the sale of the club to the Glazers. 2. Public bj's to the Glazers at every given opportunity telling the world how they are such great owners. 3 David Moyes, enough said there (though I blame Gill equally for not having a succession plan in place and allowing Fergie to nominate his successor).
4. Pogba fisco (that worked out well). 5. His no value in the market bull shit leading to signing Michael Owen, not signing Hazard due to a few mill in agent fees and not signing a midfielder for God knows how long - forget about appointing Moyes for a sec....how long do you think this point on under investment alone set us back?

All these things considered/combined I would argue are as bad as anything that Woodward has done, yes he assisted the Glazers in buying the club but it would be extremely naive to suggest that the sale would not have gone ahead without Woodward, there are no shortage of investment Bankers that can advise on the sale of a business, though posters in here seem to think otherwise. Where his skill does seem to have been unique is in the commercialization of the club - was that a good or bad in your view?

You can take the RAWK approach and ignore all of that however if you chose.
Don’t worry mate I’m a full blown grown up able to know the clubs ancient history of 2003.

Classic moving of goalposts. I’d say whilst not spelt out, we’ve clearly been talking about what’s gone wrong post Fergie era and since Woodward became CEO.

Bolded that bit as it’s remarkable all these years later this conjecture/myth is still being pushed as fact. Two blokes who had shares in Man Utd purely to make money and never had any desire to own the club, sell the club to the Glazers for ridiculous profit and apparently they did so cos Fergie wanted their horse two years earlier .

Mentioning the Pogba situation is hilarious considering all the drama from him and his agent since he left.
Agent fees and Hazard, gimme a break.

We’re doing the classic pretend the Man United squad which Fergie left that won the 2/3 titles and lost out on one by goal difference was a terrible squad in need of so much work. More conjecture.

Within a year of Fergie leaving we began a crusade of over the top record spending on transfer fees and wages. Plenty of time and investment spent on rebuilding such a dreadful squad that Fergie left and it was still shit. I wonder who oversaw all these transfers and big contracts? What was that blokes name again?

Anyway that bloke gets far too much credit for United’s commercial strength. Manchester United sells itself. His departure will effect 0% of what happens in the future of this club.

acnumber9

The man could be summed up by his first ever transfer. He waited until a release clause lapsed to pay more money for him. He’s presided over 8 years of abject failure and you’d never tire of slapping his smug fecking face. He’s been a stain on this football club and him going is the best thing to happen at United for years. feck the chinless cnut.

Falcow

Don’t worry mate I’m a full blown grown up able to know the clubs ancient history of 2003.

Classic moving of goalposts. I’d say whilst not spelt out, we’ve clearly been talking about what’s gone wrong post Fergie era and since Woodward became CEO.

Bolded that bit as it’s remarkable all these years later this conjecture/myth is still being pushed as fact. Two blokes who had shares in Man Utd purely to make money and never had any desire to own the club, sell the club to the Glazers for ridiculous profit and apparently they did so cos Fergie wanted their horse two years earlier .

Mentioning the Pogba situation is hilarious considering all the drama from him and his agent since he left.
Agent fees and Hazard, gimme a break.

We’re doing the classic pretend the Man United squad which Fergie left that won the 2/3 titles and lost out on one by goal difference was a terrible squad in need of so much work. More conjecture.

Within a year of Fergie leaving we began a crusade of over the top record spending on transfer fees and wages. Plenty of time and investment spent on rebuilding such a dreadful squad that Fergie left and it was still shit. I wonder who oversaw all these transfers and big contracts? What was that blokes name again?

Anyway that bloke gets far too much credit for United’s commercial strength. Manchester United sells itself. His departure will effect 0% of what happens in the future of this club.
Well I guess that's that then seeing as how your post is so factual and no conjecture.

Fergie put his own interests before the club when he went to war with the previous owners - deny it all you like, it's a fact. Was it one of the reasons why they sold when they did? I suspect so. They knew it was either them or Fergie at that point. Who knows, certainly not you anyway. 2 years later? They weren't selling a fecking second hand car you know.

Fergie royally fecked us by appointing that clown Moyes, where is the conjecture there?

Did he leave an aging squad? Nah, just my imagination that Rio, Vidic, Carrick Van Persie, Scholes, Giggs, Evra all needed replacing, they were hardly important players though were they. Would Fergie and Gill have been able to replace them and win more leagues if they stayed on? Of course, but they didnt stay on did they so stop spouting shite thinking he left a pristine squad....did he feck. He left a squad where a lot of key players were coming to the end and he made a massive feck up in naming his successor. He obviously regarded his judgement in recruiting a manager more highly than going through a proper process.

And yes of course all these events are related to the mess we have become. You are the one who initially responded to my post insisting that Fergie wasnt even partly to blame, how the feck am I moving the goalposts.

If his departure "affects 0% of what happens in the future of this club", why are you so keen to see him leave then seing as how it wont make a difference according to you? Man you talk some shit in fairness.

Jericho

Manchester United tried to lure Jurgen Klopp away from Borussia Dortmund in 2014 by describing themselves as “an adult version of Disneyland.”

This for me. Add to that he's been a bit of a numpty in the transfer market.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Cos he has made mistake after mistake since taking control. to name a few:
  • The first summer, where he chased Fabregas even though it was clear it wasn't happening, to then above the buyout clause of only a few weeks earlier for Fellaini.
  • The complete scatter gun approach to signings the following summer
  • The going from Van Gaal a manager who likes to train young players and teams to play with the ball, to Mourinho a manager who likes to work with experinced players and his teams to play without the ball. And the 100's of millions spent to reinvent the squad because of this.
  • Hiring Mourinho full stop! A manager with a reputation of being destructive, short term and playing utterly hideous defensive football. Who had just had a complete meltdown at Chelsea.
  • The utterly stupid contracts he has handed out, The Sanchez contract, the Rooney contract are the worst, but even on a lesser scale, he gave a 3-year contract to a 32-year-old Matic, who 6 months earlier we all thought was basically a spent force. Phil Jones is under contract for another 2 seasons at a minimum. It been beyond badly handled.
  • Despite the constant car crash of bad footballing decisions refusing to bring in a director of football until his last months in charge and even then it felt like he was just hiring a lacky.
  • Letting old Trafford deteriorate. I love the place but wow does it some love and care.

Ludens the Red

Well I guess that's that then seeing as how your post is so factual and no conjecture.

Fergie put his own interests before the club when he went to war with the previous owners - deny it all you like, it's a fact. Was it one of the reasons why they sold when they did? I suspect so. They knew it was either them or Fergie at that point. Who knows, certainly not you anyway. 2 years later? They weren't selling a fecking second hand car you know.
You certainly don't know. Unless you've sat down with Magners and Mcmanus, you cannot tell me that a disagreement over a horse made them sell the club at that specific time. Their plan was very very clearly always to sell. It's conjecture, plain and simple.

Fergie royally fecked us by appointing that clown Moyes, where is the conjecture there?
Yeah I mentioned Moyes, we've done that. Like I said though, Moyes was gone after a year and it's been seven years since he left .................

Did he leave an aging squad? Nah, just my imagination that Rio, Vidic, Carrick Van Persie, Scholes, Giggs, Evra all needed replacing, they were hardly important players though were they. Would Fergie and Gill have been able to replace them and win more leagues if they stayed on? Of course, but they didnt stay on did they so stop spouting shite thinking he left a pristine squad....did he feck. He left a squad where a lot of key players were coming to the end and he made a massive feck up in naming his successor. He obviously regarded his judgement in recruiting a manager more highly than going through a proper process.

And yes of course all these events are related to the mess we have become. You are the one who initially responded to my post insisting that Fergie wasnt even partly to blame, how the feck am I moving the goalposts.
Carrick needed replacing? :lol: He literally played for five more years after Sir Alex left. Van Persie literally came in the year before Fergie left and was 30 years old.

Just so I'm clear what you're advocating is that before a manager leaves a club he should sign loads of players to make sure that anyone over the age of 29 is covered long term? That sounds like an awesome plan. Or maybe what you meant was that Fergie should have made sure when he left that nobody at the club over 29? So basically when you're a manager at a club make sure when you're there none of your players are over 29. Sound reasoning.

And I'm guessing none of the following players count at the time - Nani, Welbeck, Kagawa, Rooney, Hernandez, Valencia, Evans, Cleverley, De Gea, Rafael, Smalling, Young. These guys were not important presumably?

The year is 2021, We've literally spent record amounts since Fergie left and we still haven't reached the pinnacle of domestic or European football. Yet somehow Fergie has significant responsibility for this because he
a) told United to hire Moyes in 2013,
b) argued over a horse in 2003
c) and was friendly with the Glazers between 2005 and 2013

Thanks for enlightening me. I apologise to Ed Woodward.

If his departure "affects 0% of what happens in the future of this club", why are you so keen to see him leave then seing as how it wont make a difference according to you? Man you talk some shit in fairness.
Christ the irony here. His departure would have 0% effect because he was fecking shite when he was here, making mistakes and goofs left right and centre. He was being paid millions to be shite. Hence him leaving would make no difference because he was so shite.

Hal9000

One thing that i think everyone missed, is that he was the one who advised the Glazers on the takeover and came up with the idea of securing the loan against the club itself.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us

I've always wondered about this. What is his idea of "adult Disneyland"? Strip clubs and liquor? Porn theaters with disney characters in xxx films? I don't get it.

Tallis

We were getting better and smarter with transfers over the last 2 years though. I think he was starting to figure it out - although it took a lot of pain and financial losses before we got to this point. The way we dragged out the Smalling transfer to extract the last pound of fee was a change from seasons gone by.