Why is it so hard for Utd to get transfers done in and out?

NoLogo

There are always right players available. If absolutely ready made ones aren't then you go for developing talents that smaller clubs find and sell off for a huge fee. But the potential to find them is always there. I think Malacia could prove to be one. But we don't get enough of these done. Which is why we are desparately shuttling about as usual. I guess Murtough needs to learn on the job too.
Malacia seems promising, but we again run into one other problem we had for a long time now, we don't improve players anymore. That used to be one of our biggest strength, I remember that in the early 2000 a lot of people on here were saying "We don't buy stars, we make them." Somehow we have lost that touch since SAF left, players only seem to get worse at our club.

jeff_goldblum

Realistically, it's because for the last decade or more we haven't been as attractive a proposition as other big clubs so when multiple clubs are in for a player we often lose out.

From our perspective as fans, playing for United has an innate draw, but to a professional footballer with no affinity with the club? We aren't based in a fashionable area, we don't have top class facilities or a top class squad and the club is notorious for being run shambolically and for failing to get the most out of our best players. But despite that, and the fact that we aren't seriously in competition for the big trophies, we remain one of the biggest and most scrutinised clubs in world football. Players who join are constantly under a microscope and regularly lambasted by the media, our own fans and opposition fans for failure to live up to expectations which are, at this point, utterly unrealistic.

All that in mind , it's no surprise that we often struggle to attract the best players, especially when other big clubs are in the mix. We end up settling for second rate talents and/or paying over the odds to get players in who otherwise would have preferred a move elsewhere. The knock-on of that is that we have less leverage in contract negotiations with our existing players. We end up paying them more than they are worth to avoid them leaving and us having to spend even more to replace them, which means when we do want rid, we struggle to find teams willing to match the terms of their current contract.

And obviously, all the above is exacerbated by the inability of our scouting team to find talent that the entire world doesn't already know about.

Red_toad

Malacia seems promising, but we again run into one other problem we had for a long time now, we don't improve players anymore. That used to be one of our biggest strength, I remember that in the early 2000 a lot of people on here were saying "We don't buy stars, we make them." Somehow we have lost that touch since SAF left, players only seem to get worse at our club.
We now have an excellent coaching staff. So let’s give them more than 1 game to make changes

RashyGiggsy

Some reflections on what I have been reading for some time on United recruiting and transfers:

United beat sportswriters at Manchester Evening News (and elsewhere) along with fans often bemoan a United tax where United is forced to overpay for a player. Calls are made to resist this United tax and negotiate better so that we can recruit more efficiently and get more quality players with the same kitty of transfer funds. The same beat writers and fans also become upset that United are not willing to pay more to get a certain player when he is "highjacked" by another team that makes a better offer. So, United's front office is criticized for both overpaying and not being willing to pay enough.

Also, United's scouting department, manager, front office, and owners are all blamed for not getting the right players (i.e., the players wanted by the sportswriters or fans) at different times. Sometimes, they are excused or even praised. Ole's recruiting strategy (bringing in top, young English players) was actually being praised at the beginning of his term.

I think the most relevant and correct criticism that I have seen is that United has not adapted its front office to the standards and methods of modern football. Hiring John Murtough as Director of Football was a step towards solving this problem. An older article in The Athletic says that United's scouting system tended to be rather cumbersome with so much information and little central authority for decision-making that made quick decisions on transfers difficult. The writer described changing the system as changing the direction of a massive oil tanker. Hopefully, this situation is being addressed and Murtough is the person for the job.