Why is now different to 2009/10?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
We all remember 2009/10.

The season that Ronaldo and Tevez were replaced with Valencia and Owen.

The season the debt got nationa news.

The season Becks made it go worldwide for getting in with the fans.

The green and gold scarves. Green and Gold til the club gets sold. Malcolm Glazer's gonna die. Every match. Loud enough that commentators and news reporters couldn't ignore it. Loud enough that even SAF couldn't ignore it.

Why are we not doing everything we possibly can to make life utterly unbearable for Ed Woodward and The Glazers? They should be fecking terrified to come to the ground and show their faces. It should be 24/7 trending on social media. It should be visible and loud and it should distract everyone from what's going on football wise on the pitch.

Why are we being so meek?

Last week was the first time it'd be really noticed. I barely heard it tonight though people said it was there. We should be doing so much more.

#OleIn or #OleOut doesn't matter because not much has changed in a decade off the pitch aside from losing God in charge of us and the squad is vastly inferior to what we had back then so we're in a much worse position.

What changed?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Patience - the current protests are just building, G+G didn't hit it's peak overnight

Jibbs

The year real decline started. To sell one of the best attacking players of EPL along with one of the greatest players of all time and replace them with Owen and Valencia and Obertan was criminal.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Our slide started in 2009. We are literally still waiting to build a midfield.

clarkydaz

We all remember 2009/10.

The season that Ronaldo and Tevez were replaced with Valencia and Owen.

The season the debt got nationa news.

The season Becks made it go worldwide for getting in with the fans.

The green and gold scarves. Green and Gold til the club gets sold. Malcolm Glazer's gonna die. Every match. Loud enough that commentators and news reporters couldn't ignore it. Loud enough that even SAF couldn't ignore it.

Why are we not doing everything we possibly can to make life utterly unbearable for Ed Woodward and The Glazers? They should be fecking terrified to come to the ground and show their faces. It should be 24/7 trending on social media. It should be visible and loud and it should distract everyone from what's going on football wise on the pitch.

Why are we being so meek?

Last week was the first time it'd be really noticed. I barely heard it tonight though people said it was there. We should be doing so much more.

#OleIn or #OleOut doesn't matter because not much has changed in a decade off the pitch aside from losing God in charge of us and the squad is vastly inferior to what we had back then so we're in a much worse position.

What changed?
You barely heard it tonight? For about 2 minutes the whole stadium was stood up chanting Glazers out

Bojan11

Exactly.

Imagine if we had replaced Tevez and Ronaldo with Silva and Aguero. Maybe the noisy neighbours wouldn’t have had much success. We were linked with them and a host of other top players. Even Robben would have been amazing.

But Fergie was stubborn with the no value. People have a go at Rooney, but he was right to question what’s going on with the club when he saw Tevez and Ronaldo going. Fair play to him for having the bottle to go to Fergie and ask who you signing.

cyril C

Simple answer is that those green scarves movement was simply political, someone didn't like new owner (but don't mind Russian or Middle East owners) and tried to stage a coup, which failed, because they forgot what is Football. A Football Club lives and dies on result, not colour of shirt. Sponsorship, gate money, a Manager that talks constantly about past glory, are Resources only. They might help to bring in the desired results if manage properly, but not a guarantee. Liverpool's 30 years of pain demonstrated that.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Genius of SAF hold circus to no fall apart.
That’s not what I mean though.

We had massive, visible protests WHILST having SAF holding us together.

Now we’re so much worse the protests should be even bigger.

I’m asking about the fans and their attitude not the team and manager.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That’s not what I mean though.

We had massive, visible protests WHILST having SAF holding us together.

Now we’re so much worse the protests should be even bigger.

I’m asking about the fans and their attitude not the team and manager.
Patience - the current protests are just building, G+G didn't hit it's peak overnight

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The year real decline started. To sell one of the best attacking players of EPL along with one of the greatest players of all time and replace them with Owen and Valencia and Obertan was criminal.
I see this kind of thing said all the time but I don't agree with it and think its a case of rewriting history

we won leagues and reached CL Final after that so it doesn't make sense to me at all - the decline started when Fergie/Gill left as far as I am concerned but anyway that wasn't the point of this thread so no need to get into this argument again since it's been done to death

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Can you see it hitting the scale of 09/10 man?
Depends what happens now - what happens in the transfer window, results etc

It is a bit different now as a lot of the protest focus is directly on Woodward whereas back then it was just about the Glazers and the rising debts.
Our debt levels are not much of an issue nowadays so it is more about how the club is run on a day to day basis and all the poor decisions that have been made

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I see this kind of thing said all the time but I don't agree with it and think its a case of rewriting history

we won leagues and reached CL Final after that so it doesn't make sense to me at all - the decline started when Fergie/Gill left as far as I am concerned but anyway that wasn't the point of this thread so no need to get into this argument again since it's been done to death
Fergie’s genius made those things happen. Look at the squads we had in those last 4 years. Very weak on paper.

Gazautd18

Good point.
Since 2009: -
Football League Cup Winner 2009-10
FA Community Shield Winner 2010
Premier League Champion 2010-11
FA Community Shield Winner 2011
Premier League Champion 2012-13
FA Community Shield Winner 2013
FA Cup Winner 2015-16
FA Community Shield Winner 2016
Football League Cup Winner 2016-17
UEFA Europa League Winner 2016-17

Think a lot of fans are just apathetic to it all now.
Besides spouting off online I don't see much protests against the board.
With ex-players now coming out and asking what has the club done to support not just Ole, but previous managers who've came in and tried to rebuild, maybe we will start seeing that reflected in the stands?
Also, the protests were 10 years ago.
Maybe now it's just a different fanbase?

KeanoMagicHat

David Gill instead of Woodward. It's surprising how little people talk about him, he was someone who knew how to run a club as chief executive. Covered over the cracks for the Glazers. Went from one of the best in the business to one of the worst in the business. Gill and Ferguson shouldn't have left together, that was a big blow for the club.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Depends what happens now - what happens in the transfer window, results etc

It is a bit different now as a lot of the protest focus is directly on Woodward whereas back then it was just about the Glazers and the rising debts.
Our debt levels are not much of an issue nowadays so it is more about how the club is run on a day to day basis and all the poor decisions that have been made
Yea I think if there is little to no movement between now and next Friday, I can see more fans refusing to turn up and being more vocal.

You're right about the focus of attention too. Back then it was all about targeting the Glaziers but it's the day to day running of the club fans are furious about. It's like Gary Neville was quoted saying on Monday, how can a guy (Woodward) continually be disastrous at part of his role and never be under scrutiny? The owners are not daft, and he is brilliant at the commercial side, but surely to feck they must be assessing the fact that his handling of the football side of his role is continually failing?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Exactly.

Imagine if we had replaced Tevez and Ronaldo with Silva and Aguero. Maybe the noisy neighbours wouldn’t have had much success. We were linked with them and a host of other top players. Even Robben would have been amazing.

But Fergie was stubborn with the no value. People have a go at Rooney, but he was right to question what’s going on with the club when he saw Tevez and Ronaldo going. Fair play to him for having the bottle to go to Fergie and ask who you signing.
You’re deluded if you think Ferguson saying ‘No Value in the Market’ was anything other than spin.

Ferguson spent every single penny he could, every single season. That’s how you stay on top.

All of a sudden we had far less money and he acted accordingly.

Bojan11

You’re deluded if you think Ferguson saying ‘No Value in the Market’ was anything other than spin.

Ferguson spent every single penny he could, every single season. That’s how you stay on top.

All of a sudden we had far less money and he acted accordingly.
We just received back then a world record £80m, so no we didn’t have far less money. Don’t know how you worked that one out.

Roboc7

Green and Gold until club is sold was really Green and Gold until we start winning.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Green and Gold until club is sold was really Green and Gold until we start winning.
Agreed, but in a sense that is what we want after all. We are happy when winning.

The issue is we aren't seeing progress, it feels like we are going backwards.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Ultimately.

Fergie and still having an ok season. Had Rooney stayed fit, we may have reached another European Cup final and won a 4th title in a row...

el3mel

Thinking about it, it's crazy at this time we considered this season as a failure. Won the league cup, lost the league by 1 point after Rooney getting injured and got KOed by Bayern in QF (well that lost one hurt though). One didn't know what was coming. Now I will pay whatever it takes to have a similar season.

Jinn

We need somebody who has a platform to get this started. Whatever "This" is, it needs to start soon.
It should be Cantona with one of his videos. Video should be about the ownership and Ed.

mark_a

David Gill instead of Woodward. It's surprising how little people talk about him, he was someone who knew how to run a club as chief executive. Covered over the cracks for the Glazers. Went from one of the best in the business to one of the worst in the business. Gill and Ferguson shouldn't have left together, that was a big blow for the club.
Let's be honest, Gill's job was easier because he had Ferguson in charge. Everyone's job was. That's why you want a good manager, it raises the bar for everyone at the club. You get players really wanting to play for the club so maybe signings are easier for starters.

Woodward has a tougher job & isn't as good as Gill was, that's a problem.

My argument for ages has been that only with Ferguson's departure did those running/owning United have to really prove themselves capable of making key decisions. The rot started when the Glazers took over. What did they have to do? Nothing football-wise, it was running nicely. There was momentum. There was minor dips & troughs but the troughs weren't that bad. In those last years Ferguson achieved things despite the Glazers, not because of them. 2009/10 was the start of our squad starting to get bloated. If Ferguson had stayed past 2012, we'd have been building to a new team within a couple of seasons. As it was this was handed on, barely started.

UnrelatedPsuedo

We just received back then a world record £80m, so no we didn’t have far less money. Don’t know how you worked that one out.
And we spent?........

The Glazers had clearly closed the cheque book. Do you honestly believe otherwise?

UnrelatedPsuedo

Crazy to think we only spent 25mil after losing our best player
It’s obscene. The ‘Value in the market’ comments placated fans as well as kept a squad focused. But it was truly awful to receive £80 and spend £25m.

Bojan11

And we spent?........

The Glazers had clearly closed the cheque book. Do you honestly believe otherwise?
And you think Fergie would have stood for that?

Fergie was stubborn later on hence why we pulled out of deals for Hazard and Moura because he didn’t agree with the agent fees.

We also made bids to sign Benzema and Tevez in 2009. We were too late with Tevez and Benzema had chosen Madrid. So no I don’t buy the chequebook was closed.

UnrelatedPsuedo

And you think Fergie would have stood for that?

Fergie was stubborn later on hence why we pulled out of deals for Hazard and Moura because he didn’t agree with the agent fees.

We also made bids to sign Benzema and Tevez in 2009. We were too late with Tevez and Benzema had chosen Madrid. So no I don’t buy the chequebook was closed.
He did stand for it.

I don’t think you’ll find anyone in football that believes that United stopped outspending everyone, on principle.

We got new owners. They soon changed spending patterns.

liamp

A combination of Fergie and our rivals not having their shit together

Bojan11

He did stand for it.

I don’t think you’ll find anyone in football that believes that United stopped outspending everyone, on principle.

We got new owners. They soon changed spending patterns.
So why did Owen say that Fergie told him if Benzema doesn’t come then he is second choice ? Why did the club release a statement saying they agreed to pay the £25m fee for Tevez but he rejected the offer.

Benzema wasn’t the only striker around in Europe. You had players like Villa or Aguero even being touted around. The money was there but Fergie refused to spend it.

Von Mistelroum

The most impressive trick the Glazers have pulled is getting United to accept mediocrity. Things don't seem as bad to many fans now because it's what they have been taught to accept as normal.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
We had the best manager of all time and despite losing two great players and replacing them with far inferior ones, there was still loads of quality in that squad.

Now we have an inexperienced manager try to steer a sinking ship. 6 years of mismanagement from the top, poor recruitment and chopping and changing of managers have come back to bite us in the arse.

Not trying to sound negative here, but we might very well go the way of Liverpool in the 90's and go an odd 30 years without winning the league again. As long as we are stuck with Woody and the current owners i dont see a happy ending for us

Alabaster Codify7

Tell you a similarity. A familiar, friendly, trusted face delivering the bad news.

Imagine Moyes,LVG or Jose talking about "no value in the market".