Why is now different to 2009/10?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
So why did Owen say that Fergie told him if Benzema doesn’t come then he is second choice ? Why did the club release a statement saying they agreed to pay the £25m fee for Tevez but he rejected the offer.

Benzema wasn’t the only striker around in Europe. You had players like Villa or Aguero even being touted around. The money was there but Fergie refused to spend it.
Your position is not supported by facts or common sense.

Bojan11

Your position is not supported by facts or common sense.
No all the things I said are facts. All the things you are saying like the chequebook was gone doesn’t hold weight because Fergie would have just walked. It’s not his personality to just stand for that.

We had the money, but Fergie saw what Wenger was doing and became stubborn. Do you really believe the glazers said no money to Fergie and he would have just accepted that?

Godfather

Good thread and some completely misunderstood it.

Think it's many different reasons.

Fans may have become stoic or used to being shit much more.

Or some realised that even the G + G protests didn't lead to anything and there is no way they will get the Glazers to sell no matter how much theY protest against them.

Others may feel too top reddish to voice their opinion and be part of any sort of protests against the club

And then there might be some that are quite happy with how things are. We have a player legend managing us that is focussing on mainly British talents. Results might not really matter for them.

Lastly and I can't really comment on that as I'm not often enough at OT but maybe the portion of daytrippers has risen as well. Guys that obviously do care of the club as much as anyone else but obviously can't be arsed to protest on one of the few occasions they are at OT.

So there's many different reasons I guess.

UnrelatedPsuedo

No all the things I said are facts. All the things you are saying like the chequebook was gone doesn’t hold weight because Fergie would have just walked. It’s not his personality to just stand for that.

We had the money, but Fergie saw what Wenger was doing and became stubborn. Do you really believe the glazers said no money to Fergie and he would have just accepted that?
Again.... and finally....

Do you believe that Ferguson had boatloads of money to spend, but chose not to?

Yes or No.

rollingstoned1

And you think Fergie would have stood for that?

Fergie was stubborn later on hence why we pulled out of deals for Hazard and Moura because he didn’t agree with the agent fees.

We also made bids to sign Benzema and Tevez in 2009. We were too late with Tevez and Benzema had chosen Madrid. So no I don’t buy the chequebook was closed.
people keep on telling themselves this fib that Fergie had his arms tied behind his back or something back then but they forget what an idealist and how stubborn he was, for better or worse. There's no way he would stand for not signing players when he specifically asked for them, he didn't under the PLC and had no reason to under the Glazers.

Bojan11

Again.... and finally....

Do you believe that Ferguson had boatloads of money to spend, but chose not to?

Yes or No.
We just received a world record fee. He wanted Tevez, but was too late. Benzema rejected us.

He splashed out when he needed to. He signed a 29 year old in the last year of his contract for £250k a week and £25m.

Fergie was stubborn. Do you think he would have stayed if Glazers said no? So why did we spend crazy amounts after he left? Explain that einstein rather than going around in circles.

Fergie got soft in his old age. He refused to replace ageing players. We could have signed Hazard, but Fergie wasn’t about to be pushed around by agents. The same with Lucas. He wasn’t going to let some agent push him around.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
David Gill instead of Woodward. It's surprising how little people talk about him, he was someone who knew how to run a club as chief executive. Covered over the cracks for the Glazers. Went from one of the best in the business to one of the worst in the business. Gill and Ferguson shouldn't have left together, that was a big blow for the club.
We don't have a problem getting players to want to play for us, we're having a problem closing deals with the club. Manager has nothing to do with this.

UnrelatedPsuedo

We just received a world record fee. He wanted Tevez, but was too late. Benzema rejected us.

He splashed out when he needed to. He signed a 29 year old in the last year of his contract for £250k a week and £25m.

Fergie was stubborn. Do you think he would have stayed if Glazers said no? So why did we spend crazy amounts after he left? Explain that einstein rather than going around in circles.

Fergie got soft in his old age. He refused to replace ageing players. We could have signed Hazard, but Fergie wasn’t about to be pushed around by agents. The same with Lucas. He wasn’t going to let some agent push him around.
If you think that a manager that spent every available penny in his budget for his entire United career, suddenly decided not to, you’re deluded. It’s not event up for debate.

£80 million in.
Best player in the world out.
£25m spent.

His environment changed. He adjusted. He didn’t suddenly decide to not spend money.

Bojan11

If you think that a manager that spent every available penny in his budget for his entire United career, suddenly decided not to, you’re deluded. It’s not event up for debate.

£80 million in.
Best player in the world out.
£25m spent.

His environment changed. He adjusted. He didn’t suddenly decide to not spend money.
So tell me again mr delusion, who bid on Benzema? Who bid on Tevez? Who agreed a few for Hazard but refused to pay agent fees?

I think I been through this 5 times now and you seem to have reading difficulties.

UnrelatedPsuedo

So tell me again mr delusion, who bid on Benzema? Who bid on Tevez? Who agreed a few for Hazard but refused to pay agent fees?

I think I been through this 5 times now and you seem to have reading difficulties.
Look at the numbers you are talking about ffs. All money that we DIDN’T SPEND too.

Tiber

Well, having the best manager who ever lived and one of the most powerful CEOs in global sport didn't exactly hurt.

It was unforgivable for Gill to leave at exactly the same time as Fergie imo. That was setting up the club to fail,

Denis' cuff

Fergie and Gill on the same page

Succession of managers and incompetent CEO constantly in conflict is what is different

No value was Fergie excusing/dealing with financial constraints foisted upon him whilst trotting out the company line. Wanted to keep his job (like Ole) until he'd had enough. When will people get it into their heads, managers don't care or control what is paid. They nominate players they want to work with and the club does the rest. Woodward/Glazers don't want to spend the money. As pointed out up thread, we've been waiting for a midfield since 2009 ffs. It has taken until now to pay for an established CB, since Vidic. Not only was Ronaldo never replaced, neither was Rio, Vidic, Rooney and a whole midfield and winger. Maguire is expected to work in a disfunctional team with a keeper who not only is terrified of coming off his line but doesn't communicate and we wonder why he isn't performing miracles. The team is so depleted and threadbare now, even decent recruits are now looking like band aids. Not only will any rebuild take time, it will need constant support from the owners, which isn't going to happen. Ole might not be the answer but neither will anybody else be the answer with this lot running the show.

Oddly enough, we just need a replacement for Pogba (Fernandes) a winger and a real striker. Some back up, in general would be nice too, because players don't stay fit for a whole season and even if they do, we still need some rotation. This might see us back in contention but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The green and gold scarves. Green and Gold til the club gets sold.
And what happened with this protest? In real terms?

Waving some nice coloured flags around, or running off to support some sh!t non league club didn't do anything.

When you have owners so incredibly wealthy, who live 1,000s of miles away, no type of protest will do much.
They'll go when they've milked us absolutely dry, and when the 4billion comes in

Denis' cuff

We all remember 2009/10.

The season that Ronaldo and Tevez were replaced with Valencia and Owen.

The season the debt got nationa news.

The season Becks made it go worldwide for getting in with the fans.

The green and gold scarves. Green and Gold til the club gets sold. Malcolm Glazer's gonna die. Every match. Loud enough that commentators and news reporters couldn't ignore it. Loud enough that even SAF couldn't ignore it.

Why are we not doing everything we possibly can to make life utterly unbearable for Ed Woodward and The Glazers? They should be fecking terrified to come to the ground and show their faces. It should be 24/7 trending on social media. It should be visible and loud and it should distract everyone from what's going on football wise on the pitch.

Why are we being so meek?

Last week was the first time it'd be really noticed. I barely heard it tonight though people said it was there. We should be doing so much more.

#OleIn or #OleOut doesn't matter because not much has changed in a decade off the pitch aside from losing God in charge of us and the squad is vastly inferior to what we had back then so we're in a much worse position.

What changed?

Whaaaaat? You mean when he picked a scarf up for the cameras and then shit himself as soon as somebody asked him if he was in support of the campaign. His big chance to nail his colours to the mast. The little shithouse declined, lest it blotted his copybook for any future role with the club.

Why do people make this shit up. The only thing he made go worldwide was his lack of bollox. Golden balls? More like no balls.

Bojan11

Look at the numbers you are talking about ffs. All money that we DIDN’T SPEND too.
Are you always this slow? We didn’t spend it because the players we wanted did not want to come not because the owners told Fergie there is NO MONEY.

Munkehboi

We are portesting for different reasons to back in 09/10. It just happens to be the same owners.

09/10 we wanted them out due to the debt and financial blackmail they put upon our club. Footballing terms, we still had SAF and we were still a competitive footballing powerhouse.

19/20 we are now used to the Glazers wringing us out commercially however, footballing terms we are a shower of shite and want them out for how they are managing this club.

Thats the difference.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nor did it achieve anything at its peak
Well clearly it didn't achieve the ultimate aim of ousting the owners (which I thought was unrealistic at the time anyway) but its not true that it didn't achieve anything, it created a great atmosphere for start and the clear show of dissatisfaction did lead to some changes

Not long after this the clu changed its stance towards fan groups and have worked with them to improve things for fans.
Season ticket prices, which rose most years in the past, have been frozen pretty much since the g&g campaign.