Why is Ole allowing himself to be used like this?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Sorry but, the Sanchez comment is just baffling and completely unnecessary. If it's supposed to be a subtle barb at the owners, it doesn't hit the mark; if it's what Ole believes, then he should keep it to himself and not stoke an already incensed fanbase; if we're going to try and move Sanchez on in the summer, then these comments also serve zero purpose.

All window we've been twiddling thumbs on the will we/won't we 'saga' pertaining to incoming transfers... to this point in time, we've actually got a score of -1 as another 1st team squad member has departed from our squad with no replacement in sight. So at a time when our squad arguably needed 2, maybe 3 signings added to what we had, we've actually taken away a player who was still getting playing time.

Whether Young was good enough is irrelevant here as one of the key roles of a squaddie is enabling others to rest whilst allowing tactical reshuffles and flexibility - even if 1:1 they are expendable, that is only in light of a replacement taking on their role(s). By not even replacing Young (to this point) more load is placed on those who remain. When broken down, that's: one injury prone fullback; one seriously overworked fullback; a kid who needs to be handled correctly and the wildcard that is Dalot.

Ole is going to take all the flack for potential overplaying of the kids; any injuries accrued via obvious fatiguing, and further to that, throwing kids in, and keeping them there, is a notoriously rocky road, which is even difficult to do in top teams performing well hence why you see kids usually dropped into the side for the odd 20 minutes when games are won and for league cup games. The psychological demands in a team that has the fans backs up is also potentially damaging - again, something Ole will be held culpable for - 'breaking' youngsters by incorrect utilisation has been a thing in football for far longer than Ole has been a manager.

I understand fire-fighting to a degree, but beyond a certain point, it is Ole that looks like Comical Ali, and it is Ole being set up as the fall guy. This is not about whether he is a competent coach in terms of tactics and campaign navigation, but something that has more damaging consequences to: the squad (short term); the kids (potentially long term) and Ole's reputation, as beyond a certain point, he begins to look like a company shill if he's prepared to blatantly lie to the fans on their [upper management] behalf.

His last press conference takes him down a different path to what we've heard to this point in time - throwing incendiary devices into an irate throng of supporters doused in rage is a crazy thing to do, so why would he do it? What sense does it make? There is no positive spin to put on mentioning a catostrophic failure and wage burden coming back to the club to get another shot.

Siorac

It's his dream job at the club he loves. He's not going to go to war with his bosses, especially as he lacks the leverage (such as a stellar managerial reputation or favourable current results) to do so.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ole isn't the fall guy. The fans are the fall guy. He's very much a part of the problem. He's a manager who isn't good enough for this level so for him to toe the company/Glazer line is most definitely expected given he's clearly punching way above his weight by merely holding the post of Manchester United manager.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He is in a job that he probably dreamed of getting at some point in his career but probably never thought he would get the opportunity. He is in a shit position of loving the club and the fans but having to bend to the people above him, he doesn't have much clout to change the club from within so feels he has to toe the line.

Alabaster Codify7

It's very simple. He doesn't fully know he's being used, it's a 'Dinner for Shmucks' situation where he thinks he's a welcome and valued guest at the club. He isn't, he's a perfect, convenient patsy.

Secondly, even if he suspects this, he knows his career will be all downhill after this because this is his dream job. He's clinging onto it until the death.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s not ‘being used’. He’s an employee, for a start. And a football manager. He may not have the perfect conditions to be a football manager, but even if we were in the Championship, someone needs to be the football manager. It’s a job, and all a manager can do is do it to the best of their ability with the resources he has.

Saddy

I reckon he's already been told he's going in the summer and will be paid the 5M severance if he carries on "towing the line."

I've supported the club through thick and thin for 50 years but this is clearly worse than the Frank O'Farrell, Dave Sexton era at least these guys had some proven track record but were a poor fit with the club so had to go.

I can see the atmosphere at matches starting to get ugly if we fall apart which could happen......but then again "we are United" and I always support the team and live in hope.

sp_107

I reckon he's already been told he's going in the summer and will be paid the 5M severance if he carries on "towing the line."

I've supported the club through thick and thin for 50 years but this is clearly worse than the Frank O'Farrell, Dave Sexton era at least these guys had some proven track record but were a poor fit with the club so had to go.

I can see the atmosphere at matches starting to get ugly if we fall apart which could happen......but then again "we are United" and I always support the team and live in hope.
Nice to see you joined REDCAFE finally after supporting UTD for 50 years.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The Sanchez loan deal was always going to be 1 year, and if Sanchez performed well Inter might have bought him out.

Sanchez has been injured as per usual, and since Inter will not extend, he will rejoin Manchester United in the offseason just like last year, and will be given a shot at proving himself like everybody else will in the pre-season tour. If that doesn't work out, away he goes again.

The only thing Ole just did is to throw the player a bone.

Can someone explain to me why everyone are getting all up in arms over a player returning from his contracted loan spell? Is everyone looking for something to be offended over this morning?

Aretak

He's never, ever going to get another job even close to the same level as this one if he's sacked or resigns. Probably the best he could hope for is slinking back off to Molde. I don't really blame him for clinging onto it with everything he has and hoping that things will just all fall into place. Ultimately, it's not up to him to sack himself.

youmeletsfly

The Sanchez loan deal was always going to be 1 year, and if Sanchez performed well Inter might have bought him out.

Sanchez has been injured as per usual, and since Inter will not extend, he will rejoin Manchester United in the offseason just like last year, and will be given a shot at proving himself like everybody else will in the pre-season tour. If that doesn't work out, away he goes again.

Can someone explain to me why everyone are getting all up in arms over a player returning from his contracted loan spell? Is everyone looking for something to be offended over this morning?
People are afraid of him starting next year and being shit all over again.

As I see it, it's either him, Chong or some average dude on the right side.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
This question has to be asked. At what point does he become complicit?

We can all agree that the club isn’t being run well and the owners have their own agenda.

This really isn’t an easy question because there is emotion involved, how Ole sees himself as a manager, behind the scenes agreements that we aren’t privy to, and a whole host of other intangibles.

The question, however, needs to be asked. At what point does it cease being “poor Ole doing his best within a corrupt system” to “yes man who is now participating in said corrupt system”

There is definitively a line to be crossed there and at some point he needs to stop and ask himself, if he loves the club, is his presence in this role hurting or helping.

Burnley was yet more confirmation that it is the former for me. If the window closes with no players, and he continues giving pressers and interviews as he has done, it will be hard to refute that the line hasn’t been crossed.

Oluwaplumpie

Sorry but, the Sanchez comment is just baffling and completely unnecessary. If it's supposed to be a subtle barb at the owners, it doesn't hit the mark; if it's what Ole believes, then he should keep it to himself and not stoke an already incensed fanbase; if we're going to try and move Sanchez on in the summer, then these comments also serve zero purpose.

All window we've been twiddling thumbs on the will we/won't we 'saga' pertaining to incoming transfers... to this point in time, we've actually got a score of -1 as another 1st team squad member has departed from our squad with no replacement in sight. So at a time when our squad arguably needed 2, maybe 3 signings added to what we had, we've actually taken away a player who was still getting playing time.

Whether Young was good enough is irrelevant here as one of the key roles of a squaddie is enabling others to rest whilst allowing tactical reshuffles and flexibility - even if 1:1 they are expendable, that is only in light of a replacement taking on their role(s). By not even replacing Young (to this point) more load is placed on those who remain. When broken down, that's: one injury prone fullback; one seriously overworked fullback; a kid who needs to be handled correctly and the wildcard that is Dalot.

Ole is going to take all the flack for potential overplaying of the kids; any injuries accrued via obvious fatiguing, and further to that, throwing kids in, and keeping them there, is a notoriously rocky road, which is even difficult to do in top teams performing well hence why you see kids usually dropped into the side for the odd 20 minutes when games are won and for league cup games. The psychological demands in a team that has the fans backs up is also potentially damaging - again, something Ole will be held culpable for - 'breaking' youngsters by incorrect utilisation has been a thing in football for far longer than Ole has been a manager.

I understand fire-fighting to a degree, but beyond a certain point, it is Ole that looks like Comical Ali, and it is Ole being set up as the fall guy. This is not about whether he is a competent coach in terms of tactics and campaign navigation, but something that has more damaging consequences to: the squad (short term); the kids (potentially long term) and Ole's reputation, as beyond a certain point, he begins to look like a company shill if he's prepared to blatantly lie to the fans on their [upper management] behalf.

His last press conference takes him down a different path to what we've heard to this point in time - throwing incendiary devices into an irate throng of supporters doused in rage is a crazy thing to do, so why would he do it? What sense does it make? There is no positive spin to put on mentioning a catostrophic failure and wage burden coming back to the club to get another shot.
What would you have him do? Resign from his dream job?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
£7.5m per year would be my guess. There's not many things I wouldn't do for that kind of money.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

This has nothing to do with anything - if Ole wished to throw Sanchez 'a bone' it would be done privately. Mentioning Sanchez serves no purpose whatsoever other than to assuage his return. Mentioning him being able to prove everyone wrong when he's a player fans want out of the club prepares for the likelihood of us not being able to shift him and his wages.

It is shilling - you don't put forward any of that information without a reason. And you certainly don't do it in the midst of a tense transfer window as evidenced from the ire it has caused and spread like wildfire.

MUFromLTU

We've heard similar comments from various managers including SAF before players were sold. If we want to sell him, that's the only logical thing to say.

kps88

People asked this of SAF when he didn't spend the Ronaldo money or sign a midfielder. You do the best with what you're given.

Infra-red

He is in a job that he probably dreamed of getting at some point in his career but probably never thought he would get the opportunity. He is in a shit position of loving the club and the fans but having to bend to the people above him, he doesn't have much clout to change the club from within so feels he has to toe the line.
This. He's a decent bloke but has been promoted far beyond his station and is desperately out of his depth. He's not going to rock the boat or cause trouble for Woodward, so he was probably viewed as a 'useful idiot' by the Board.

It has backfired badly, though. Results have been appalling and the fans' understandable love for Ole has meant that they've instead focussed their ire on Woodward.

I feel sorry for Solskjaer really.

Alabaster Codify7

£7.5m per year would be my guess. There's not many things I wouldn't do for that kind of money.

Yep, because once this gravy train grinds to a halt, he's back to earning comparative pennies in a fourth-tier league in Europe. Simple as that. He loves the club but he also loves his own career and this is as good as things get for him, sadly.

Skills

Snitch
Ole isn't the fall guy. The fans are the fall guy. He's very much a part of the problem. He's a manager who isn't good enough for this level so for him to toe the company/Glazer line is most definitely expected given he's clearly punching way above his weight by merely holding the post of Manchester United manager.
This.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
People asked this of SAF when he didn't spend the Ronaldo money or sign a midfielder. You do the best with what you're given.
He covered for the Glazers basically. No value in the market nonsense etc. His wage came before the club and fans but we'd have all done the same in his situation most likely. That's the issue. Ole isn't going to come out and bite the hand that feeds him is he?

wolvored

If somebody was paying me £5 mill a year I would say anything they want. If Liverpool or City paid anyone on here £5 mill a year to praise them, we would all do it. Ole is an employee of the Glazers first and foremost, and you dont bite the hand that feeds you. He is a shit manager and it will all be downhill after his stint here, so will keep it going for as long as possible. Remember when he first came here and he said he would leave if he was a detriment to the club? Doesnt mean a thing. Look after No1.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm pretty sure if I landed my dream job where I was paid far more money than I'd get anywhere else, and was under-performing massively, I would do everything in my power to keep a good relationship with my employers.

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd

Yes. People have been up all night waiting for It. He is our player and there is no way anyone will buy him. Haven’t seen the presser yet or the context it was said. But we all know context dosent matter for the blod hounds at CAF :lol:

Water Melon

Looks like a dig at the owners to be honest, subtly letting the fans know that we should not raise our hopes.

Flying_Heckfish

He has been told we aren't spending.

We have no strategy, all of this 'removing the deadwood, changing the culture' is hot air.

So he is either being really passive-aggressive, or he is simply a yes man.

Drifter

American
He is not being used .He fully understands that he is very lucky to be manager of Man Utd , and will do whatever his masters tell him to do.

Bestietom

This has nothing to do with anything - if Ole wished to throw Sanchez 'a bone' it would be done privately. Mentioning Sanchez serves no purpose whatsoever other than to assuage his return. Mentioning him being able to prove everyone wrong when he's a player fans want out of the club prepares for the likelihood of us not being able to shift him and his wages.

It is shilling - you don't put forward any of that information without a reason. And you certainly don't do it in the midst of a tense transfer window as evidenced from the ire it has caused and spread like wildfire.
Why then did he let him go in the first place. This seems very fishy to me.

Giggsyking

Looks like a dig at the owners to be honest, subtly letting the fans know that we should not raise our hopes.
Yeah, lets find more excuses for the novice clueless manager. Accept it and move on, he is a clueless manager and at the same time a yes man, the worst combination ever.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Are people purposely missing the point? You don't need to compromise your position as manager, but equally, you don't try and dupe your fanbase. He could easily do a Corbyn and fence sit, instead, he's now going to take the brunt of the flack.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think it might be a combination where it’s his dream job and he just feels lucky/privileged to be here? Or that he genuinely thinks he has an agreement with Woodward to be given his full tenure of his agreed plan/strategy and results don’t matter in the meantime?

All just guesses anyway.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He knows he will never get a job like this again & he’s extremely fortunate to still be manager. So he’s happy to be happy with everything & ignore the serious issues behind the scenes that are taking the club backwards.

Water Melon

Yeah, lets find more excuses for the novice clueless manager. Accept it and move on, he is a clueless manager and at the same time a yes man, the worst combination ever.
I do also believe that OGS is way out of his depth here and needs to be either sacked or resign, mate. However, I do also believe that this was a dig at the board combined with some sort of respect he had to express towards Sanchez. At the end of the day Alexis is Man Utd player who was not bought by Ole. He mentions Evra, Vida and then realizes that Alexis was also transferred in January, so mentions him as well.

Amerifan

Are people purposely missing the point? You don't need to compromise your position as manager, but equally, you don't try and dupe your fanbase. He could easily do a Corbyn and fence sit, instead, he's now going to take the brunt of the flack.
He isn’t trying to get himself elected. He has a job he’s paid to do and he’s doing it to the best of his ability. His statement was intended to maximize the value of Sanchez on the transfer market, and, barring that, create the best atmosphere he can for Sanchez’s return if it comes to that. It’s well played.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

"SHILLING"
You know, the internet uses that word incorrectly and it's time it stops. First off, shilling is a coin. A shill is someone who pretends to be someone or present a fact or opinion without disclosing the he or she has tight relationships to the owner/interest parties that he/she is defending.

I think we can say without much doubt that Ole does not hide the fact that he knows the owners of Manchester United. Also, you are out of your mind if you think going public with any discontent is going to create positive results. The only person that will satisfy is your own blood lust over the perceived lack of action, and quite honestly - are your feelings more important than the public image of Manchester United?

Lets pretend that Ole say "I have not been backed, and i am shocked at the state of the board". Ok then what? What happens now?

You get the press writing op-eds for a week straight about the miserable state of the club
You get players being affected by negative press - where there is enough already
You get the managers position being questioned referring to the "anger at the board" - The last Manager who come out to publicly cry a lot was universally loathed for his endless complaining about transfers and his own players and was promptly fired. If Jose Mourinho had been someone who can take his grievances in private only, he'd still be the manager of Manchester United.

Do you imagine that OGS being negative in public is going to accomplish literally anything? If you're going to say yes, or even "No BuT hE's a Sh11L". Let me just stop you right there. No, nothing good will come out of it. The only person that will receive ANYTHING from OGS being negative is you, because you are looking to have all your anger about the clubs management validated by its speaking voice.

Frank Lampard has come out and spoken negatively about Chelsea's Transfer business. That doesn't achieve anything. The fans are already loudly complaining about the lack of transfer. No new information was given. No new action was taken. Bad publicity press was written. No one won anything.

Fans of football that expect the leader of the player group, many of whom are still developing youngsters who are in need of strong guidance both on and off the pitch as to avoid losing their footing, to suddenly turn away from this positive persona that always backs his players no matter the struggle, and never speaks negatively about them, to come out in public and denounce the very project and the players he's working with?

OGS is charged with developing the biggest young talents this club has had in 20 years in Greenwood, Rashford and Williams. There is going to be exactly 0 words in public that will negatively affect that head space for the players, the fans or the press.

if Ole wished to throw Sanchez 'a bone' it would be done privately. Mentioning Sanchez serves no purpose whatsoever other than to assuage his return. Mentioning him being able to prove everyone wrong when he's a player fans want out of the club prepares for the likelihood of us not being able to shift him and his wages.

You, nor I, have any idea what Ole has or has not told Sanchez in private. None. The player is however contracted with Manchester United. Why do you need to be prepared for the inevitable fact that he could return here? He has a contract with the club, you should just assume that that was always the case. i refuse to believe that you are somehow surprised that Alexis Sanchez is returning to Manchester United following a loan spell where the player has been injured most of the time. There is no way you did not know that. Like, hell. What do you expect the club to do? Refuse him to participate in the off-season and work overtime to find him a new loan club 6 months before a club will even consider if they need him? This discussion is so wildly pointless. The manager has given a player contracted with the club a public challenge. To return and prove himself the player we thought we bought, or away he goes again.

it only takes a Caf specialist to be angry and upset about that. I bow down you you in all your grace and splendor. I mean, hell. The contract was always going to be there until the day it expires. You know damn well no one are going to eat all of that at any point in time, nowhere near. If someone takes 50% of it its a miracle.

hobbers

He's positioning himself to take flak for Ed and the Glazers and it seems deliberate.

And the only reasons for that are that he's very stupid, or that he knows he has to love up to his masters because this is the only top level job in management he will ever have and he wants to cling on to it, or in other words: very greedy.

The middle ground is not coming out against the owners in the press, but also not mentioning the summer strategy and budget (lack thereof), claiming everything is down to him, claiming he has the final say on everything, bringing up Sanchez's name when it should remain a relic.

I think the bottom line is that a huge part of this United job is public relations and projecting a very specific image to the fans, and Ole is just atrocious at walking that tightrope. The Glazers hired a friendly faced patsy but really what they needed was a friendly faced Malcolm Tucker.