Why is the Isle of Man TT still accepted?

hobbers

The racing I fully understand and really it’s not much different to wanting to scale a deadly mountain that might kill 10% of those who try to climb it.

What I do not get is wanting to be in a sidecar. Bonkers.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Father and son dead in sidecar crash. I just don’t see how it’s worth it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

This account must hand out a lot of thoughts and prayers.

cyberman

At this stage knowing the risks isn’t enough. People know what happens if they take Crack, doesn’t mean it should be allowed

antsmithmk

Hates women.
My heart goes out to the families of all those lost. But to lose a father and son from the same family today must be terribly difficult.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I'm seeing comments under that tweet talking about its just "charm of this race" in response someone asking why the race wasn't more secure :eek:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Unbelievable. That poor wife/mother. Their family wiped out in an instance.

It cant be easy for the stewards/rescue crew either. These poor men must be in pieces literally.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
RIP to the father and son. That's just heartbreaking.

It seems so weird to me that we have just accepted people will die at these every year. I was reading that the last time there wasn't a death at one of these was 1982 - so the last time every racer came out of the race alive was 40 years ago!

FireballXL5

I sold my GSXR750 because I wasn't prepared to take the risks anymore. The guys at the TT obviously think it's worth it.

SuperiorXI

RIP to the father and son. That's just heartbreaking.

It seems so weird to me that we have just accepted people will die at these every year. I was reading that the last time there wasn't a death at one of these was 1982 - so the last time every racer came out of the race alive was 40 years ago!
That's crazy... can't believe this is still allowed in 2022.

MUW4Eva

I would love to know how the organisers get insurance to stage the race...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
BBC doing a report on this right now; no surprises: riders saying it's the ultimate challenge and they, and their families, know the risks.

They dip out when they no longer weigh the risk against the reward.

5 deaths in a fortnight. Last time race was run with no fatalities was 1982 - the only year in its entire history without a fatality. Absolutely no way the risks aren't hardwired to their brains.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
BBC doing a report on this right now; no surprises: riders saying it's the ultimate challenge and they, and their families, know the risks.

5 deaths in a fortnight. Last time race was run with no fatalities was 1982 - the only year in its entire history without a fatality. Absolutely no way the risks aren't hardwired to their brains.
Yep, the only one year without a death is a shocking stat. The five deaths this year first time since they've had that many since 1989 though, according to Reuters.

It's a fair point one of the racers makes about no-one having a gun to their head to do it.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/s...The only year without a,died in the same year.

Drawfull

what about if they added another couple of wheels to the bike for stability and then cocooned the rider in some kind of seated cockpit to protect him during accidents?
I know you're joking, but one year whilst I lived there in 2011/12ish, they had a sponsored lap with an Audi R8 I think it was. The driver nearly binned it badly at the first slight bend at the bottom of Bray Hill. Which is basically a few hundred metres from the start line.

The fact is, the roads of the course are pretty-well maintained compared to the rest of the island, but they're still roads with grids and bumps and tree roots and shit and it obviously doesn't take much to throw a bike off, or indeed a car. As others have said, they tend to be lined with walls and houses.

In a way I am surprised it carries on with relatively little clamour for it to be stopped, but if you speak to any of the riders they'll all say the same: they know and accept the risks.

One thing they could do is up the criteria for entry. Of course very experienced riders have died, but it does tend to be the less experienced that crash more often.

cyberman

It’ll take a fan dying before anything is done.

CraftySoAndSo

I'd never heard of this until i heard on the radio a few days ago saying how many have died already this year so i went on Youtube to have a look. Bloody hell you'd have to have balls of steel to do this and i'm stunned it's still even allowed to happen considering how many people have died doing it.