Why is there an English tax?

DannyDee

Because lower level EPL teams are funded way better than their counterparts in other leagues. Making them demand higher fees to sell. It's also that players are proven. The tax just doesn't apply to English players, but most players within the league. While Sancho's fee seems insanely high, Dortmund is trying to get close to what Joao Felix and Dembele got.

flappyjay

The homegrown rule is silly. Teams pick top players from other countries anyway and put english players on the bench if not good enough.
Imagine if they had a white player rule or stuff like that. Everyone would be against it, but discriminate by nation is fine.
I guess with Brexit things change though.
It's there in other leagues but as a non EU quota. To be honest I don't know the point of this one.

Paul_Scholes18

It's there in other leagues but as a non EU quota. To be honest I don't know the point of this one.
Just think it should be allowed to register the squad you want. As long as the players legally can play in your country.
I am fine with younger players being used without registration though as it allows player to advance quickly through the ranks.

flappyjay

Just think it should be allowed to register the squad you want. As long as the players legally can play in your country.
Maybe so but even as a foreigner myself I sort of get it. Seeing an English team unable to field an English man is weird for me.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's simple enough, surely. What constitutes an offer you can't refuse depends entirely on how loaded you are. PL clubs are loaded in general, more than ever, relatively speaking.

It's never been a question of quality. Maybe - maybe - it has also been, in some cases, a question of paying extra for players who are "PL proven" (as the phrase goes), but that's secondary at best (and has nothing to do with the player's nationality in itself).

Matriac

The homegrown rule is silly. Teams pick top players from other countries anyway and put english players on the bench if not good enough.
Imagine if they had a white player rule or stuff like that. Everyone would be against it, but discriminate by nation is fine.
I guess with Brexit things change though.
FA makes the rules for Premier League, it makes sense for them to have a rule that incentivises clubs to run academy's, which helps to train future Englands internationals.

They aren't forcing teams to pick English players, but you can have 17 who are not homegrown, and however many you want U21. But you can also have 8 more senior players if they are homegrown.

It may sound backwards, but from a developmental perspective for England as a football nation it makes a lot of sense.

Norway are trying to encourage this for their top flight as well, but their rule is a maximum of 9 foreigners are allowed on the team. For a while we used to sign almost every player from a developing nation as they saw Norway as a entryway and showroom to the rest of Europe.

Paul_Scholes18

Maybe so but even as a foreigner myself I sort of get it. Seeing an English team unable to field an English man is weird for me.
Yeah I like having Brittish players in United even if I am not from uk. Just do not think it should be forced.
Clubs that put value in youth could do so anyway.
Only having 25 man squad is a bit low too in my view particular with injury prone players around. If they want a number then I think 30 should be better.

debunkology

There must be an Icelandic tax too because no way is/was Sigurddsson worth the £45m that Everton spent for him.

debunkology

Yeah I like having Brittish players in United even if I am not from uk. Just do not think it should be forced.
Only having 25 man squad is a bit low too in my view particular with injury prone players around. If they want a number then I think 30 should be better.
They should go one more. Teams should field at least one player that they actually produced through their youth academy.

Chelsea and Man City bought leagues.

I can only imagine the teams West Ham and Southampton would have had if they kept their academy players.

Money has ruined football.

Homegrown doesn’t mean British, and hasn’t for a very long time. Pogba is classed as homegrown due to the time he spent in the academy.

It’s not just for the benefit of clubs, it’s for the benefit of the national team. If you take it to the extreme, you could have a league that barely had any English players playing.

It’s probably not far off being right, although I’d like to see a way of promoting youth a bit more (from clubs academies, no matter the nationality) - but without it being too convoluted.

Irrational.

Three reasons:
1. Media overhyping any player that shows even a modicum of talent.
2. Increased income in the English leagues.
3. Homegrown quota.

Paul_Scholes18

Homegrown doesn’t mean British, and hasn’t for a very long time. Pogba is classed as homegrown due to the time he spent in the academy.

It’s not just for the benefit of clubs, it’s for the benefit of the national team. If you take it to the extreme, you could have a league that barely had any English players playing.

It’s probably not far off being right, although I’d like to see a way of promoting youth a bit more (from clubs academies, no matter the nationality) - but without it being too convoluted.
I know, but homegrown mainly means Brittish players. There are a few bought to the academy at young age which is not something I love either.
Clubs fighting over young talents and trying to lure them to another country can get dirty.
I think if FA wants to get better players they should fund academies all over to help them get better coaches and coaching.

OleBoiii

It's simple enough, surely. What constitutes an offer you can't refuse depends entirely on how loaded you are. PL clubs are loaded in general, more than ever, relatively speaking.
This is it, really.

If the PL was significantly less popular, then there'd be no English tax.

Revan

Assumptionman
FA makes the rules for Premier League, it makes sense for them to have a rule that incentivises clubs to run academy's, which helps to train future Englands internationals.

They aren't forcing teams to pick English players, but you can have 17 who are not homegrown, and however many you want U21. But you can also have 8 more senior players if they are homegrown.

It may sound backwards, but from a developmental perspective for England as a football nation it makes a lot of sense.

Norway are trying to encourage this for their top flight as well, but their rule is a maximum of 9 foreigners are allowed on the team. For a while we used to sign almost every player from a developing nation as they saw Norway as a entryway and showroom to the rest of Europe.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with 17+8+as many as U21 players rule that is in EPL, IMO. In fact, it is a very good rule that incentivizes the clubs to play academy players (or if not possible, to buy them) whom very often happen to be English, and so it helps the English football in general.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
U21's don't count
I did think that, but wondered how they managed to make the numbers last year even though they got, or applied for special dispensation and only needed 7 instead of the 8 everybody else had to have because they only had 24 players, bless 'em

Edit: I think Delph was there at the season but they would've had to replace him to get back up to 7

Last season they had only 6 homegrown, and it was:
Carson, Scott Paul
Esmoris Tasende, Jose Angel
Garcia Serrano, Aleix
Sterling, Raheem Shaquille
Stones, John
Walker, Kyle Andrew
Wasn't Angelino on loan last season, or was it the year before?

debunkology

This mentality is engrained in the English, and can be seen in every international tournament going back decades.
This is a load of B.S.

For decades England hasn't thought itself as the best team in the world. And great players doesn't translate to best team either.

The Spanish and French produced world class players for hundred years without winning a single World Cup. Spain, not until 2010. France not until 98.

The Netherlands have never won a World Cup, yet have consistently produced some of the Worlds best players.

Look at Belgium!!

I constantly see "The English overhype themselves" when this is not true.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is a load of B.S.

For decades England hasn't thought itself as the best team in the world. And great players doesn't translate to best team either.

The Spanish and French produced world class players for hundred years without winning a single World Cup. Spain, not until 2010. France not until 98.

The Netherlands have never won a World Cup, yet have consistently produced some of the Worlds best players.

Look at Belgium!!

Are you based in England, Mr Brave newbie?

I know, but homegrown mainly means Brittish players. There are a few bought to the academy at young age which is not something I love either.
Clubs fighting over young talents and trying to lure them to another country can get dirty.
I think if FA wants to get better players they should fund academies all over to help them get better coaches and coaching.
I think I’m England things have improved, and the reasons for I don’t know, but we have a great deal of exciting talent coming through. Whether that’s got to do with more investment, like at St George’s Park, I’m sure others will have an insight?

When you look at our attacking players, Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho - we haven’t had that type of potential for a very long time.

The global fight over 15, 16, 17 year olds is pretty repulsive - and there should be more protection for clubs who invest in their academies.

Paul_Scholes18

I think I’m England things have improved, and the reasons for I don’t know, but we have a great deal of exciting talent coming through. Whether that’s got to do with more investment, like at St George’s Park, I’m sure others will have an insight?

When you look at our attacking players, Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho - we haven’t had that type of potential for a very long time.

The global fight over 15, 16, 17 year olds is pretty repulsive - and there should be more protection for clubs who invest in their academies.
Yeah England got some nice talents coming through. Many of them in our club as well. Although I think England have never lacked talent as far as I can remember. They have more struggled to get a good team working together for the national side.
Southgate seem to have improved things.
I think to win the world cup England needs some better defensive midfielders and central defenders. I like Rice though and he could be a key player for England. Not sure Dier is the answer nor Winks.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What a strange reply.

1.) not anymore
2.) I registered in 2014. I only reply to ridiculous posts.
If you think it's ridiculous to say the English press hype us up before any tournament, you either haven't lived in England to see it, or walk around with your eyes shut

Your waffle about other teams and good players is totally unrelated to anything.

Last edited:
This is a load of B.S.

Look at Belgium!!

It’s hilarious. Does the media get a bit excited every tournament, of course they do, that’s how the media works. They need to generate interest and sponsorship.

As for our expectations, we hope we are going to do well (surely everyone does...), but know we will likely go crashing out, probably on penalties!

Just look at the song 3 Lions - this place got in a right fuss about it at the World Cup - it’s self deprecating, it’s taking the piss about how bad we’ve been for more than 50 years!! The original song was in 1996, when there was “only” 30 years of hurt!

Yeah England got some nice talents coming through. Many of them in our club as well. Although I think England have never lacked talent as far as I can remember. They have more struggled to get a good team working together for the national side.
Southgate seem to have improved things.
I think to win the world cup England needs some better defensive midfielders and central defenders. I like Rice though and he could be a key player for England. Not sure Dier is the answer nor Winks.
Defensively not good enough, England’s strengths have been flipped on its head the past 10 years. An element of home advantage could be very beneficial next season.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
This mentality is engrained in the English, and can be seen in every international tournament going back decades where we're hyped to billyo, yet have only reached even a semi final 3 times in 50 years.

Was it Pep, who when Wilshere was being hyped up, said there were about 20 players of his level in the Barcleona B team or something?
To be fair, I agree that England probably has the best young players currently. And I say that as someone without any connection to the country who didn't really rate the previous hyped up generation at all. This one though is great. It'll all depend if you get a manager that can ingrain a playing philosophy and turn them into a cohesive unit.

Paul_Scholes18

Defensively not good enough, England’s strengths have been flipped on its head the past 10 years. An element of home advantage could be very beneficial next season.
Henderson in goal could be key to improve the defense. Although not fully sure he is the real deal for us. I hope so.

debunkology

If you think it's ridiculous to say the English press hype us up before any tournament, you either haven't lived in England to see it, or walk around with your eyes shut

Your waffle about other teams and good players is totally unrelated to anything.
Only foreigners have a bone to pick with the English press.

Meanwhile in England, nobody takes the English press seriously.

Anyone who has ever lived in a foreign country for a while and can actually speak another language other than English will see other countries do exactly the same thing.

My waffle about other national teams and their players isn't unrelated at all. They called the Belgium national team the golden generation. And rightly so, they have some of the best players in the world. No World Cup to show for it though. No final either.

So your point about not succeeding doesn't mean England haven't produced excellent players.

People have to realize that when it comes to international major tournaments. There are 7 other national teams that can win. And when 1 does, That doesnt mean the other 6 haven't got any world class players.

Matriac

I did think that, but wondered how they managed to make the numbers last year even though they got, or applied for special dispensation and only needed 7 instead of the 8 everybody else had to have because they only had 24 players, bless 'em

Edit: I think Delph was there at the season but they would've had to replace him to get back up to 7

Wasn't Angelino on loan last season, or was it the year before?
I took their squad from the confirmed Premier League list at the start of the last season.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/1335777

But Angelino did go on loan in January, and in fact for the remainder of the season their senior squad was only 21 players.
https://amp.mancity.com/news/first-...ebruary/man-city-revised-premier-league-squad

Henderson in goal could be key to improve the defense. Although not fully sure he is the real deal for us. I hope so.
He’s got an easier route to England’s no 1 than United. He has to be an improvement over Pickford. Hopefully he starts in one of the upcoming internationals.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The English press (as you call 'em) follow the principle of "hype it up to the max, then cut it to pieces". However, this doesn't mean that English football journos are deluded, for one thing. It only means they're cynical bastards - catering to a core demographic (who enjoy reading about England "bringing it home" as much as they enjoy reading about overpaid cnuts failing to "bring it home").

Secondly, and more importantly, those journos do not reflect the mindset of professionals (players, coaching staff, managers) associated with the England national team. I doubt very much that genuine delusions of grandeur have been a problem there in recent years.

Haddock

I’ve always been extremely confused about this. It’s not like England are constant World Cup or Euros winners. Heck, we’ve not been the best NT in the world for 54 years now. Decent players like Maguire, Chilwell (strangely going for 50), Maddison and Grealish are valued at £80m or more. The only small reason I can think of is that clubs need to fill their homegrown quotas, but even so, they could just use their respective academies.

Why does the ‘English tax’ exist?
Let me play devil's advocate: You could make the case that there actually isn't. Of the most expensive English players - no. 1 is Maguire at an obscene £80m. The others are Sterling, Stones, Walker, Wan Bissaka and Chilwell - all between 45-55m. All but Sterling are defenders. After that I think it's Andy Carroll in the 35m category.

Both Maguire and Carroll (who was at the time of his transfer was no. 1) are desperate buys.

The defenders can be explained because they are defenders, and supposedly ball playing CB's and fullbacks are now the most important players around. Sterling is an outlier. Who's left? Oxlade Chamberlain, Drinkwater etc? But at £30m odd, isn't that the going rate for a player in the top 6 these days? This is a market where Dominic Solanke (an Altidoresque 4 goals in 63 games) is worth £19m.

The Grealish, Rice and Maddison figures are just speculation at this stage. I don't think anyone will quibble if Kane or Alexander-Arnold are sold for stupid money because...well, they are Kane and Alexander-Arnold.

If anything there may be a French tax: Lucas Hernandez, Pogba, Griezmann, Ndombele, Bakayoko, Lemar, Martial, Tolisso, Mbappe.

And now nearly every french player is touted as being over 40m.

Last edited:

RashyForPM

Let me play devil's advocate: You could make the case that there actually isn't. Of the most expensive English players - no. 1 is Maguire at an obscene £80m. The others are Sterling, Stones, Walker, Wan Bissaka and Chilwell - all between 45-55m. All but Sterling are defenders. After that I think it's Andy Carroll in the 35m category.

Both Maguire and Carroll (who was at the time of his transfer was no. 1) are desperate buys.

The defenders can be explained because they are defenders, and supposedly ball playing CB's and fullbacks are now the most important players around. Sterling is an outlier. Who's left? Oxlade Chamberlain, Drinkwater etc? But at £30m odd, isn't that the going rate for a player in the top 6 these days? This is a market where Dominic Solanke (an Altidoresque 4 goals in 63 games) is worth £19m.

The Grealish, Rice and Maddison figures are just speculation at this stage. I don't think anyone will quibble if Kane or Alexander-Arnold are sold for stupid money because...well, they are Kane and Alexander-Arnold.

If anything there may be a French tax: Lucas Hernandez, Pogba, Griezmann, Ndombele, Bakayoko, Lemar, Martial, Tolisso, Mbappe.

And now nearly every french player is touted as being over 40m.
You make good points. However, if you consider what the prices of their foreign colleagues of equal quality would be (can’t be arsed to list examples as I just woke up, sorry mate :lol: ), it would be considerably lower. For example, the amount spend on Englishmen in the Prem in 2019-20 far exceeds the amount spent on Spaniards in La Liga in the same season.

I do disagree with the French tax though, as all those players had come off the back of truly quality seasons where they all showed potential to be world class (bar Martial, and he was a good deal too), unlike their English counterparts like Maguire, Chilwell and Chamberlain. Most of them still are! At the time of signing, each of those English players you mentioned were questioned by fans, unlike the French players bar Martial. Of course, players like Ndombele and Bakayoko have failed.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Interesting looking at some of the Serie A deals.

Juve signed Weston McKennie on loan for season for couple of million euros and have 15m option to buy next summer. Was being linked to mid table prem clubs for 25m recently.

And seems Tonali going to Ac Milan for 25m, would probably be close to 40m if premier league club wanted him.