Why it’s okay for Pogba to play out his contract year and decide along the way

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
the context:

back in the summer of 2016, Pogba had all of world footballing in the palm of his hands. He was as exuberant of a player as he was a character being 1 of a kind. What did he do? He decides to go back to his academy days club despite it being poorly run from top to bottom. Long gone are the glory days but he was promised there would be a project built around him to make his decision of joining worthwhile. For the first 3 odd seasons, the club wasn’t able to hold up their end of the bargain for what they wished to Paul. At the same time, he was playing through injuries, frustrations of being let down of those promises, being made the scapegoat for all the teams lack of successes while also being held captive in the sense the team would not sell him even when he did portray he was not enjoying his time. Virtually had no teammates close to his level/ceiling so imagine how that feels, a supposed project yet being left stranded as a player who simply cannot do it all by himself.

Then comes in Ole. Pogba having had over 2 years under him, the rotten stench inside the club is slowly uprooted and a proper vision is laid into motion. It progresses but slowly in due time. From being the stand alone star player bar De Gea for a number of seasons to now being surrounded with the likes of other such stars in Bruno, Cavani, Shaw, Maguire, Varane, AWB, Rashford, Sancho.

…point being, it took Pogba over half the duration of his contract when he signed back with United to start seeing any sort of sustainable progress / those promises. So him being unhappy in certain moments - is it really that far fetched to see why? And it leaves a great dilemma that he will have to a give a big think over, now that steam has picked up and the progress in clear backing of the right kinds of players is there to be seen for all.

he was football’s brightest young star when he left Juventus. He was left disappointed from United’s end for 3 years. The last 2 they have been making amends by becoming stronger. And now in the final season of his contract, he truly has a situation on his hands that no one can honestly blame whichever direction he chooses to go. Maybe he has a sour taste in his mouth from the early years and wants out, maybe he appreciates the recent efforts but still feels it’s too little too late, or maybe he even changes his mind as the year plays out and decides the work done has won him back over.

in any scenario, let’s please stop vilifying the man and at the minimum see the human element to it all. The roller coaster of emotions and such is quite literally what any normal person would think so let’s not pretend to be shocked in any way. I for one will be glad whatever he decides to do and have been able to appreciate his efforts having stuck around all this time :drool:

SirAnderson

People don't see a human, just a football player that is trying to do one over united.

In any event, he himself will be disappointed he couldn't do more to help us, but I do think it's silly to expect 1 player to carry a team. Bruno did it though, but Pogba couldn't for some reason.
I will say, him flirting with Real, and him Allowing Raiola to say and do the things his done, definitely didn't go down well.
His performances, like many players of the years, have been inconsistent, but he was still one of the better players we've had over the last 5 years, but naturally, expectation didn't meer reality when it came to what his produced for us unfortunately, and like the OP said, a number of factors play into why that could be, namely the poor squad around him and Jose toxic turning on him.

Best thing is to at least treat him like a human, seen some ridiculous comments that many should be ashamed of, but they wont, cause they sitting behind a keyboard, detaching the human from the player and find it easy to say whatever they want, regardless of how insensitive it may be.

georgipep

the context:

back in the summer of 2016, Pogba had all of world footballing in the palm of his hands. He was as exuberant of a player as he was a character being 1 of a kind. What did he do? He decides to go back to his academy days club despite it being poorly run from top to bottom. Long gone are the glory days but he was promised there would be a project built around him to make his decision of joining worthwhile. For the first 3 odd seasons, the club wasn’t able to hold up their end of the bargain for what they wished to Paul. At the same time, he was playing through injuries, frustrations of being let down of those promises, being made the scapegoat for all the teams lack of successes while also being held captive in the sense the team would not sell him even when he did portray he was not enjoying his time. Virtually had no teammates close to his level/ceiling so imagine how that feels, a supposed project yet being left stranded as a player who simply cannot do it all by himself.

Then comes in Ole. Pogba having had over 2 years under him, the rotten stench inside the club is slowly uprooted and a proper vision is laid into motion. It progresses but slowly in due time. From being the stand alone star player bar De Gea for a number of seasons to now being surrounded with the likes of other such stars in Bruno, Cavani, Shaw, Maguire, Varane, AWB, Rashford, Sancho.

…point being, it took Pogba over half the duration of his contract when he signed back with United to start seeing any sort of sustainable progress / those promises. So him being unhappy in certain moments - is it really that far fetched to see why? And it leaves a great dilemma that he will have to a give a big think over, now that steam has picked up and the progress in clear backing of the right kinds of players is there to be seen for all.

he was football’s brightest young star when he left Juventus. He was left disappointed from United’s end for 3 years. The last 2 they have been making amends by becoming stronger. And now in the final season of his contract, he truly has a situation on his hands that no one can honestly blame whichever direction he chooses to go. Maybe he has a sour taste in his mouth from the early years and wants out, maybe he appreciates the recent efforts but still feels it’s too little too late, or maybe he even changes his mind as the year plays out and decides the work done has won him back over.

in any scenario, let’s please stop vilifying the man and at the minimum see the human element to it all. The roller coaster of emotions and such is quite literally what any normal person would think so let’s not pretend to be shocked in any way. I for one will be glad whatever he decides to do and have been able to appreciate his efforts having stuck around all this time :drool:
I would agree if it wasn't for Raiola and his brothers. And while people may say they are separate persons and don't speak for Pogba, that's simply not true for me. He has played the silent treatment game with us ever since his problems with Mou started. Yes, that is the top professional thing to do if only his agent didn't do the talking for him in the media.

MDFC Manager

Both parties are well within their legal rights to choose to do what they've chosen to do. Both are likely to act professionally (United won't throw him into the reserves, Pogba won't refuse to play).

It's only the football fans that get their knickers in a twist.

DickDastardly

Point being......

He's not a catalyst. He's a passanger.

It might work for us now when we have catalyst players in the form of Bruno, but it didn't work for us when we needed one 5 years ago.

I'd rather he fecks off, nothing to do with him personally, i don't know the man.

It's just the amount of drama he brings to the club. Just look at all this topics and posts....

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Nothing better than us facing Pogba in his new team (whatever that may be) and winning. His non-committal antics are getting old.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He can simply because his contract allows him to. There’s no more reason required than that. It isn’t ideal for his club, but a footballer is entitled to do what he feels is best for him within the confines of his contract, and a club is entitled to do what they feel is best for them. It works both ways too, sometimes the clubs decision is that denying a player a move and allowing them to leave for free the following year is what is best for them, it isn’t mandatory that a player must be sold before the end so that money can be recouped.

Gee Male

Poor pogba, evil united....
Yep. It's actually a mental point of view in the OP from my perspective, I can't relate to that at all.

We really are miles down the track of fans being fans of players rather than fans of the club. Celebrity culture is sad.

Red00012

This is what is going to happen unfortunately, I don’t think PSG have the funds now to buy him so he’ll see his contract out. I guess the only good thing is we have 12 months to find his replacement.

AFC NimbleThumb

Yep. It's actually a mental point of view in the OP from my perspective, I can't relate to that at all.

We really are miles down the track of fans being fans of players rather than fans of the club. Celebrity culture is sad.
Post #12 has a ‘fan’ stating they’d be ‘nothing better’ than beating Pogba’s next team. Not it’d be nice but they’d be ‘nothing better’.

There are quite a few ‘fans’ who wait for a Pogba slip &/or miss pass simply to jump on the guy; supporting the club is surely supporting its players yet with Pogba you see ridiculous attempts to separate the two.

Until he leaves, United fans that show support for him are actually doing their duty.

Celebrity culture :lol:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm willing to bet the CAF in its history has never had more threads dedicated to a player than Pogba

I'd love to see exactly how many there's been dating all the way back to his academy days

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's within his rights to run down his contract, but it creates massive issues for the club (big wages, player doesn't want to be at this club so should definitely not be a core of the team, we probably won't have enough money to replace him this summer, and next year everybody will know we need a midfielder so will demand high price etc).

I have no sympathy for the guy after the way he and his agent handled the situation, we should put as much pressure as possible on him to leave this summer.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I'm willing to bet the CAF in its history has never had more threads dedicated to a player than Pogba

I'd love to see exactly how many there's been dating all the way back to his academy days
You must have missed the Rooney threads then. That was far worse than this.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I want Pogba to stay and wanted my summer transfer dreams such as my CDM to accommodate him.

However,
Pogba is a 90 million player.

It's like you working hard all your life then buying a Bentley for expensive money, parking it at your house and then it being completely stolen off you by even richer people when they could have bought it off of you for a significant discount anyway at arguably half the price.

Like why cant Pogba show some loyalty to us?

Is it so hard for him to convince PSG to pay us 40-45 million? He gets to go there this season, a year younger than next and go fight for a CL with Verrati, Pochhetino, Ramos and Donnurumma.

If he is contemplating it then sign a contract and leave for a similar amount or a bit more next year.

I mean this time next year he could have joined 2 big clubs on an absolute Free - and yet we were the only club that ever payed 90 million for him.

That says alot in my opinion about how much he may or may not be valued, how much loyalty he has, how much things like a big contract offer and money he is very attracted to once it comes to timing of negotiation..

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
the context:

There is already a thread dedicated to Pogba's contract. You couldn't have posted this in that one since it is related?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Also, supporting a player that chooses to run down his contract and leave on a free is just wrong on every level.

Are we United or Pogba fans?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I want Pogba to stay and wanted my summer transfer dreams such as my CDM to accommodate him.

However,
Pogba is a 90 million player.

It's like you working hard all your life then buying a Bentley for expensive money, parking it at your house and then it being completely stolen off you by even richer people when they could have bought it off of you for a significant discount anyway at arguably half the price.

Like why cant Pogba show some loyalty to us?

Is it so hard for him to convince PSG to pay us 40-45 million? He gets to go there this season, a year younger than next and go fight for a CL with Verrati, Pochhetino, Ramos and Donnurumma.

If he is contemplating it then sign a contract and leave for a similar amount or a bit more next year.

I mean this time next year he could have joined 2 big clubs on an absolute Free - and yet we were the only club that ever payed 90 million for him.

That says alot in my opinion about how much he may or may not be valued, how much loyalty he has, how much things like a big contract offer and money he is very attracted to once it comes to timing of negotiation..
I don't expect royalty, only professionalism

Pogba has shown lack of it from day 1, he never really fought for his paycheck In my eyes. If you don't find your current employer good enough, air it behidn the screen, ask for transfer in an amicable way. The equivalent of this is when clubs forced players like BFS out by playing him in reserves, that's just not the way you do things.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I swear Paul Pogba has scrambled some of your brains, it’s wild. Both sides are acting in their best interests, it isn’t good versus evil.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Fans only expect loyalty from players. Nobody discusses loyalty from the club. I think some fans take football too seriously. Hating/personally disliking a player for me is weird. Already a sign you're too emotionally invested.
For these people football is a career and merely a profession. You can't hold doing what is best for them against them.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

Fans only expect loyalty from players. Nobody discusses loyalty from the club. I think some fans take football to seriously. Hating/personally disliking a player for me is weird. Already a sign you're too emotionally invested.
For these people football is a career and merely a profession. You can't hold doing what is best for them against them.
Couldn’t have said it better.

My love of football is somewhat irrational but disliking people I’ve never met personally is stupid.

We’d all move around for personal growth in our own careers & people have left employment cause they simply don’t like it there in everyday life but footballers should have an irrational allegiance to a club in a foreign country.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don't expect royalty, only professionalism

Pogba has shown a lack of it from day 1, he never really fought for his paycheck In my eyes. If you don't find your current employer good enough, air it behind the screen, ask for a transfer amicably. The equivalent of this is when clubs forced players like BFS out by playing him in reserves, that's just not the way you do things.
Agreed, it's a petulant way to handle the situation. Whether Pogba chooses to see out or his contract or not is his prerogative, but all the while he is legally contracted to the club, Ole should make as much use of his services as possible. Pogba is a quality player after all.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Couldn’t have said it better.

My love of football is somewhat irrational but disliking people I’ve never met personally is stupid.

We’d all move around for personal growth in our own careers & people have left employment cause they simply don’t like it there in everyday life but footballers should have an irrational allegiance to a club in a foreign country.
Surely, you can see why fans of the club would take a personal disliking to Pogba if he chooses to see out his contract and leave on a free?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There is nothing wrong in asking for a transfer. Ronaldo did it as well and despite it all he is still loved . What is wrong is leaving as a free agent thus stripping the club from the chance of cashing in on him. Manutd had contributed alot in his development. By leaving as a free agent not once but Twice is a dick move irrespective of how the club is being run

AFC NimbleThumb

Surely, you can see why fans of the club would take a personal disliking to Pogba if he chooses to see out his contract and leave on a free?
No, not a ‘personal disliking’. We don’t know him personally.

The issue I’ve had with a number of Pogba posts on here is they discuss him as if they do know him. We see him a maximum of 2 times a week for 90 minutes & read/watch some heavily edited interviews from time to time. That isn’t a reason to call him some of the things he is on here.

Is him running down his contract infuriating, I suppose but if we rated him that highly as a club we should have offered him terms years ago. The clubs mismanagement is being ignored in this one.

Fergie 7ime

Oh boo fecking hoo. Can we please stop talking about this simple oaf? The man got offered an obscene amount of money and decided to apply his circus act in Manchester.

It did obviously not work out, mainly because his heart just isn’t in it. And now he wants to try it somewhere else, but no one in their right mind would pay the money he wants + the transfer fee. Especially not in these times.

So the man is stuck where he is, and will just run his contract down and take his chances next summer. End of story.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
No, not a ‘personal disliking’. We don’t know him personally.
Personal is probably the wrong word, to be fair.

The issue I’ve had with several Pogba posts on here is they discuss him as if they do know him. We see him a maximum of 2 times a week for 90 minutes & read/watch some heavily edited interviews from time to time. That isn’t a reason to call him some of the things he is on here.
Some of the stuff written about him is way overboard, sure, but that's just fans staying true to their nature. Look up the definition of fanaticism and you'll see what I mean. In any case, I wouldn't take those comments as an insight into their character. They're probably decent people when you remove their fanatic side from play.

I actually did it myself with my 'personal disliking' comment above :rolleyes:

arnie_ni

Yes, and United will do what's okay for them. It's the way the world works.
Exactly. Maybe he thinks we aren't good enough for him. Fans probably think it's the other way around.

It's not any justification for a slagging match.

If he goes on a free next year so be it. Let's hope we can get good use from him before he goes and maybe win something.

flappyjay

For him its a good idea for it isnt, especially in a year where there might be some free agents moving around. If we know where we stand then we can plan our recruitment for next year.