Why it’s okay for Pogba to play out his contract year and decide along the way

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is a player that doesn’t justify his wage consistently, that has less than a year left on his deal and that constantly flirts with the idea of leaving.

Of course you sell and use the funds to get in a player that is committed and wants to be here.

redmanx

The main problem is not with him. Its with his agent Raiola.

When a player is associated with Raiola, bad PR follows and so does his commercial value. I dont know why players still choose him.
I agree, but its not Raiola who constantly underperforms on the pitch, is it?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think I already qualified my point....

Building for the future with players who will be here in 12 months. Showing anyone that they're not bigger than the club. Proving a point with Raiola.
I get that thinking, and it does make sense, but I still feel the negatives of letting him rot in the reserves far outweigh the positives.

I don't believe the club would do that anyway. If we begin the season and Pogba's is still undecided over his future, throwing him in the reserves for 12 months will undoubtedly decide for him. Personally, I think he'll sign a new deal before the season kicks off anyway. I say that in hope more than anything, though.

Murray3007

The pros and cons of leaving Pogba to "rot in the reserves":

Pros:
Pogba rotting in the reserves is apparently a pro, so we're going with it. K? Cool
Errrrrrrm...

Cons:
The club loses the option of playing a world-class contracted player if and when needed.
Angering Pogba, which in turn increases the likelihood of him spreading negative vibes through the club.
The club looks like petulant children.
Slavery was abolished over a century ago.
It's just a rubbish idea.

Please stop suggesting we let Pogba rot in the reserves until he signs a new contract?

after seeing this I stopped reading, Pogba is not and never will be World Class, simply if he is not commited he shouldn't be at the club and if he wants to see of his last year it should not be with the first team.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I've never known a club to be so determined to keep a player who is both so inconsistent and shows such little interest in the actual club.

Every single fecking year part of our season is derailed by some kind of Pogba wants to leave/be an attention whore/get his manager sacked fiasco, and every single year we come back around to being convinced he will for some unknown reason magically find his focus the next season.

I really don't dislike him but just fecking get rid and build a team around players who aren't going to constantly dick about. Nothing can happen in terms of moving forwards for as long as we keep pretending Paul Pogba is something he isn't

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
after seeing this I stopped reading, Pogba is not and never will be World Class, simply if he is not commited he shouldn't be at the club and if he wants to see of his last year it should not be with the first team.
That's your opinion and you're welcome to it - Pogba does tend to polarize opinion more than most. But he's world-class for me, or at least he could be if he allowed his football to do the talking rather than his agent, brother, mother or anyone else who thinks they can run his life better than he can. A stress free Pogba, one that has signed his final contract, allowing him to concentrate entirely on his football, could finally realize his potential. That's just my opinion, though.

Of course, if he decides to see out his contract and leave on a free, he can get fecked.

redmanx

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it - Pogba does tend to polarize opinion more than most. But he's world-class for me, or at least he could be if he allowed his football to do the talking rather than his agent, brother, mother or anyone else who thinks they can run his life better than he can. A stress free Pogba, one that has signed his final contract, allowing him to concentrate entirely on his football, could finally realize his potential. That's just my opinion, though.

Of course, if he decides to see out his contract and leave on a free, he can get fecked.
Pogba has under performed for the vast majority of his time at United, for one reason or another; why do you think things will be any different next season? They wont be. We should cut our losses and ship him out to the first club who wants him.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
so what about Ole shouldn’t be allowing Pogba to hold the club hostage in the disgusting manner he is?:lol:

Masterclass performance!!!

:wenger:

Banat

That ball for Greenwood... He's been brilliant so far, motm.
People wanting him sold :lol:
3 assists as well, he is in my fantasy team :drool:

Last edited:

manutddjw

so what about Ole shouldn’t be allowing Pogba to hold the club hostage in the disgusting manner he is?:lol:

Masterclass performance!!!

:wenger:
Naw we need to sell him and get Camavinga. I never watched camavinga play, but he’s way better I assure you.

SirAnderson

The unprofessional cnut can't even put in a performance while under the last year of his contract! :mad: Only 3 assists. Embarrassing!
EDIT: Make that 4. Shambles!

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What are we supposed to do? Nobody will pay the money we’d demand & we’d be foolish to rot him in the reserves.
It’s almost as if we should do our best to convince him to stay, but accept if he chooses to leave… like any valued, in-demand employee working for any company.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Well that’s exactly what we will do.
Clubs are going to have to learn to deal with the fact that if players can be set for life financially in their early 20s, there’s no incentive for them to sign their negotiating power away to protect against injury, loss of form etc. More and more players will be advised to shape their career in four to six year periods, with the decision where to play at the end of that period only coming at the end of their contract, and not a couple of years in advance. Why allow clubs to profit from selling you, when you can reap most of that fee yourself?

Paul Pogba is in a comfortable position right now; Harry Kane, not so much. I don’t blame Pogba, even though I will be gutted and it will look a farce if he leaves for free again.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Fact no1: Even if played out of position he'd still be over the years as consistent as Bruno or Rashford last two season for us, having so many shocking games in between good and brilliant ones. How good Rashford will be spending 30 games per season playing as a RW? Yes he can play, differently, but he's got skillset for that to be much better than Daniel James or anything we've had until Sancho. But he's ultimately better on the left or upfront. Let Bruno play as a typical 8 or dictate play from deeper, he will lose immense amount of balls and we will never be under control. But why play him there when he's best as a no10/SS. Then we should see Pogba in his entire time here and where he played with whom he played etc. We are only hitting the peaks now and he seems to be getting his gametime in one of his prefered positions. He only spend time playing deep because of his incredible all round play and idea we can shoehorn him somewhere because he can do that too.

Fact no2: If he decides not to sign the contract and leave, it's his choice, he always played for the badge despite his agent talk and people getting on his back because all the fake media circusin the UK and around the world around him. After all he kept his contract, always showed up in the training and performing until the end. If you are employed in a company and feel like it's time for a change, why should anyone be unhappy, you're serving your contract and looking at some cases of players being locked out by their contracts, it only make sense to me.

The bestthing which can happen is to convince him with finally challenging for the title. If you're not good enough for that you will lose your best players..

Tyrion

I don’t blame Pogba, even though I will be gutted and it will look a farce if he leaves for free again.
I don't think it's that big of a deal if a player leaves for free. Look at Barca, they'd kill for half their squad to go for free. You save wages and time negotiating.

I think a lot of clubs sign players to big contracts because they're terrified of them going for free and then get stuck paying wages for years (e.g. Ozil at Arsenal, Bale at Real, half of Barcelona, Sanchez at United).

Firstouch20

I don't see a problem in a player choosing to exercise the option of seeing out their contract. Besides with all of the debate and controversy surrounding Pogba it might be for the best that we enjoy this season together, hope for best and then maybe part ways for good or for bad. Pogba is a world class player but it wouldn't be so bad for both parties if he ended his career on a high (hopefully) and then left the club on a good note because i feel like certain fractions at the club and the English media are just waiting for him to fail and his every move is scrutinized through the eyes of a magnifying lens. Would be nice for him to have the last laugh and sail off into the sunset with a few medals around his neck.

Last edited:

sosolid4u09

No issues with players seeing out their contracts. They're under no obligation to re-up especially if they've not downed tools

RedIan

Certainly been on my mind his plan is to walk away a free agent next season. That unfortunately is his choice. So we have him one last season, make the most of him id say … and you never know should we actually win a trophy or two this season he may change his mind.

Abraxas

If he performs professionally throughout I have no issue with it at all. It's not good or ideal for us to have a player like him leaving for free, but it is his right, just as it's ours to let players move on at the end of contracts. Not signing or keeping options open is unworthy of criticism.

Where the criticism is justified is how he lets his agent act as a mouthpiece in quite a disruptive way. People excuse this or say it's unrelated to Pogba, but that is ludicrous. Raiola is employed by Pogba. If he is not performing in the desired way it is within the players power to suggest this is not the type of representation he wants. It hasn't been a one off situation. That means some kind of approval by the player is the only thing that makes sense.

Keep it behind closed doors, negotiate whatever deal is there to be done whether it's with ourselves or elsewhere, and perform to your ability. There is no issue if you act properly.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Why it’s okay for Pogba to play out his contract year and decide along the way

Because it's an employment contract, not a hostage situation