Why not start a “Woodward Out” chant during the season opener?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
No. If people feel strongly about Woodward, go and protest outside his London office.

There should be no toxicity in the stadium at our first game. Imagine doing this with our young players just stepping up. This kind of thing is counter productive.
Don't let our players lose any confidence they have.

People can take the train to London and protest against Woodward there, just take the toxicity away from the players.

Reddy Rederson

Every fan should take a permanent marker into the stadium and when the ball goes into the crowd we write “Woodwood is a bald cnut” on it. This will be a massive impact on the sponsors as they won’t want to be associated with it and force the Glazers to sell.
:lol: Please, oh please let this be what happens.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I think we should start chanting for players we should have signed if it wasn’t for Ed Woodwood.

(made of stone; previously used for Lukaku)
We want ya
Dybalaaaaa
But the Glazers are being too tight
15 million for your image rights
Woodward should be done
Net spend is 50 million.

(La cucaracha)
Bruno Fernandes
Bruno Fernandes
You would surely be so class
Bruno Fernandes
Bruno Fernandes
But Ed Woodward is an ass.

(Rotterdam)
It could be Tielemans or Pjanic
Or someone more unknown
But because of fecking Woodward
we’re still playing Matic at home
Playing Matic at home.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The team needs a chance first surely?
How does that interfere with wanting Woodward out? It doesn't have to be taken as a slight against Ole or the players that the fans want incompetent Ed out.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
How are we going to do this chant? Well first of all RedCafe should pay for OP to fly out to the Chelsea game.

As the game kicks off the whole ground is silent. The commentators are puzzled, there’s literally no sound.

Bam. OP stands up in the middle of the South Stand. He points to the Stretty who start the lion King chant. But instead of “awimba weh” they all chant “Ed Woodward out, Ed Woodward out”.

OP starts off alone.
“At United
The Mighty United
Ed Woodward serves us shite”

Then the whole of the East Stand join in.
“At United,
The Mighty United
Five more signings would delight”

Suddenly! The whole of the south stand joins in with the Stretty! “Ed Woodward out, Ed Woodward out” is reverberating around the stadium. The East Stand continues to sing as OP reaches into his coat and lifts up a cat that has symbolically been given a Dybala 9 United shirt.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Why?

This will simply feed out and create negativity across the pitch and achieve knack all.

Please get behind the club and players on match day rather than pointless chants against directors.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why?

This will simply feed out and create negativity across the pitch and achieve knack all.

Please get behind the club and players on match day rather than pointless chants against directors.
You just know that negative articles are currently being written just because of these threads, then some will lap them up and talk even more nonsense. It's as if some fans don't realize that they create their own misery.

msra5kg2

Since it's the start of the season maybe we should just get behind the team and try to have as good of a season as possible?
I’ll be belting out Ole’s at the wheel at our first home game, whoever wants to join in can. Although I do want to get DED-Woodward trending!

Castia

How does that interfere with wanting Woodward out? It doesn't have to be taken as a slight against Ole or the players that the fans want incompetent Ed out.

Well if the team start well and the younger players gel straight away it’s going to be non productive.

If we get to October and look fecking clueless then fair enough.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well if the team start well and the younger players gel straight away it’s going to be non productive.

If we get to October and look fecking clueless then fair enough.
We could win the League and I'd still desperately want them out. A chant could include love and respect for Ole and the players and hate and disgust for Woody and the Glazers. Would satisfy both criterions.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Do people realise the breakdown of the fans who actually go to OT?

I had a season ticket for 8 of the last 11 seasons. Your average United match-goer is a 40-something from London/Ireland who goes to games to get away from the missus. There's another large portion of 18-30 year old blokes who just go to get absolutely bladdered and half the time the game is just a side-note. Add in the tourists and the way the stadium is set-up, the chances of getting a large section of the crowd to sustain an anti-Woodward/anti-Glazer protest is minimal....most can't even be arsed to get out of their seats when we score these days

Seems to me that the majority of the hardcore fans these days either watch on TV/down the pub or go to away games only
Very true. Old Trafford fans aren’t vocal much and are known for it. So this would be an over the top ask and yea, the demographic of fans doesn’t help much either.

Sucks that most hardcore fans are priced out and as you say watch at pubs or whatnot.

Think it's a fair point raised by the OP, the green and gold campaign may have fizzled out after 09-10 but it was a visible show of discontent. United fans at OT have been saint like in their patience.
Yea this is the only point I’m trying to get across which is the latter part of your post - the amount of patience we’ve given Ed has enabled him to continue on for years and it’s been a disaster.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
"What do we want? A complete restructure and not just a patsy installed with an opaque title and a limited remit"
When do we want it? Now! "

liamp

I live in a different continent unfortunately...it has happened to our local team and other teams in the league time to time albeit a different sport and led to immediate change
What team is that?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Since it's the start of the season maybe we should just get behind the team and try to have as good of a season as possible?
Agreed. Last thing this squad and manager need is that sort of nonsense and the pressure that comes with it.

fergiesarmy1

Agreed. Last thing this squad and manager need is that sort of nonsense and the pressure that comes with it.
No one is having a go at Ole and quite rightly. The senior management of this “football” club deserve dogs abuse

Red00012

Honest to God, why hasn’t this been done yet?

It happens in many sports when fans have had enough of a player or coach or manager or whatnot and want their voice heard.

...the Glazers Out thing is more so social media driven and they have the power to block it by just restricting MUTV events. But you know what they can’t block? A home stadium chanting on global TV being broadcast around the world. Impossible for a blind eye to be turned to that and will make headlines across the footballing world.

So yea, wouldn’t it be effective to do a “Woodward Out” chant or something along those lines at kickoff during both half’s? Would strongly show that we’ve had enough of being dicked around and want proper people in charge that know what their doing in football terms - not just the money making and marketing aspect that Ed is all about.
How about If Mason Greenwood gives possession away 5 times in the 1st half, should we boo him going in at half time?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I mean I get it if we know our season is a disaster, but to suggest it in the opening game is barmy.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I cannot think of anything more counterproductive than starting a protest during our opening game of the season.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
No one is having a go at Ole and quite rightly. The senior management of this “football” club deserve dogs abuse
But you know the manager is always the first to fall. We wouldn't be giving him a proper shot if we create a toxic atmosphere, whoever it is directed at.

Lebowski

Do people realise the breakdown of the fans who actually go to OT?

I had a season ticket for 8 of the last 11 seasons. Your average United match-goer is a 40-something from London/Ireland who goes to games to get away from the missus. There's another large portion of 18-30 year old blokes who just go to get absolutely bladdered and half the time the game is just a side-note. Add in the tourists and the way the stadium is set-up, the chances of getting a large section of the crowd to sustain an anti-Woodward/anti-Glazer protest is minimal....most can't even be arsed to get out of their seats when we score these days

Seems to me that the majority of the hardcore fans these days either watch on TV/down the pub or go to away games only
As a member of the "18-30" group who is hurtling unceremoniously to the "40 and going to get away from the wife" I think you've pretty much nailed it.

As daft as the idea might be, I actually think the thought process behind the OP comes from a good place. Clearly there are massive issues with the club ownership and power structure and I do admire any effort exerted by any fan to bring it more under 'our contol'.

The problem is, as you can tell from the mocking posts in this thread, it's just not compatible with British fan culture, especially with United's current match going fanbase. It's also incredibly unlikely to achieve anything. Remember that criminal damage, mass protests and a chunk of our most hardcore support walking away to form their other club failed to change much. The idea that a few fans can by chanting about how they wanted more signings in the summer is adorably misguided.

Slightly off-topic but I will be interested to see what the atmosphere is like on Sunday. I'm looking forward to the social aspect, drinking with mates many of whom I haven't seen since May, but I don't have much first game excitement and I fully expect this season to be a disaster.

I am expecting a fragile veneer of support in the ground that may shatter into dissatisfaction after an hour or so if things aren't going according to plan. So basically exactly the same as last season I suppose.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'm wondering too.
I'm paying around 4k pounds to take a mate to a single game. Wondering how much more (a select few) locals pay to make their opinions worth so much more in their eyes.
Four grand to go to a single game! I salute your efforts, but where are you coming from, the fecking moon?

The One and Only

There are 'top reds' here who look down on people who have been criticising the Glazers and Woodward. They are convinced that everything is rosy and everyone else is spoilt and clamouring for unattainable signings

These are the same people who will be on the match day thread in a month moaning about results and convinced that Solskjaer is not good enough. It's like people have forgotten how the season ended or how pathetic we have been in the last six years. If the fans are not united now, then there is no hope for us. We'll eventually become a former big club like Milan, wondering what went wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Four grand to go to a single game! I salute your efforts, but where are you coming from, the fecking moon?
Just to get something out of the way: I don't think what I paid for a ticket in any way is an arguement to my value amongst our supporters. In reality, even if I weren't to buy a expensive ticket there are probably tons who would love to take them up on the offer.

My point was just that there is a lot of us out there who would love to have the option of getting a season ticket at the prices some season ticket holders hold over the heads of other fans as to why their opinions are worth more than others. People who complain about ticket prices in general isn't something I have an issue with (hell, I'd love for it to be more affordable to the locals). It's just those that hold it over other fans heads that annoy me.

I'm from the far north of Norway, my friend lives in the middle of Norway. The issue with our tickets pricing is that without knowing exactly when the tickets are released and the opportunity to be there (or be a season ticket holder, which would simplify matters), the only option I really have to see the Liverpool game, to my knowledge, is through VIP-experience.
To break down the prices:
VIP-Tickets: 2000 pounds for 2 tickets (can probably be cut with 500~ pounds if we went for lower VIP-experiences)
Flight for two to Manchester & home: 1200~ pounds
Stay at Hotel Football from friday to monday (1-room for 2 adults): 800~ pounds.

For a normal trip, match-prices would be severely lowered, but it would still cost a ton for a trip due to the flight & hotel-stay.
That's on top of any extra stuff those who visit from abroad spend money on: Food, stuff in the club-shop, taxi/uber or whatever.
We live far away, so we naturally just have to accept that there are extra costs for us to see the team we support. The fact that we cannot make it to near as many games as the locals in no way makes us less or more supporters in my eyes.

Bit off the track:
If we take a look at Norwegian arm-chair supporters they too have to pay a pretty penny just to look at United from their chair.
TV2 has had the rights to the PL for a while: That's 40 pounds a month. But you want to see the CL and FA cup as well if the club is doing well enough to get into the CL? Well that's 32 pounds for Viaplay.
And there are a fair few games that aren't even shown. There are technical issues constantly, and TV2 for example are streaming in 720p because they are cheap as feck and won't bother upgrading for 4-5k pounds so people can watch in 1080p despite happily reporting that they are earning millions more in subscribers every month since Solskjær took over.

Alabaster Codify7

Not yet but when the season inevitably turns to shite, the fans should make their opinions known at OT, yes.

No need to turn the atmosphere negative or toxic straight off the bat, get behind the players but when those players inevitably let the fans and manager down again, there's nothing left to support so they may as well protest.

Alabaster Codify7

There are 'top reds' here who look down on people who have been criticising the Glazers and Woodward. They are convinced that everything is rosy and everyone else is spoilt and clamouring for unattainable signings

These are the same people who will be on the match day thread in a month moaning about results and convinced that Solskjaer is not good enough. It's like people have forgotten how the season ended or how pathetic we have been in the last six years. If the fans are not united now, then there is no hope for us. We'll eventually become a former big club like Milan, wondering what went wrong.

AC Milan is a good comparison actually. That's the road we are heading down at present. All it will take is another 6-8th place finish and Pogba is leaving next summer either way in my opinion. Madrid will save all their funds for him next summer, and he'll be gone. We will have no pull in terms of replacing him so we'll get a significant downgrade and hope for the best.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Just to get something out of the way: I don't think what I paid for a ticket in any way is an arguement to my value amongst our supporters. In reality, even if I weren't to buy a expensive ticket there are probably tons who would love to take them up on the offer.

My point was just that there is a lot of us out there who would love to have the option of getting a season ticket at the prices some season ticket holders hold over the heads of other fans as to why their opinions are worth more than others. People who complain about ticket prices in general isn't something I have an issue with (hell, I'd love for it to be more affordable to the locals). It's just those that hold it over other fans heads that annoy me.

I'm from the far north of Norway, my friend lives in the middle of Norway. The issue with our tickets pricing is that without knowing exactly when the tickets are released and the opportunity to be there (or be a season ticket holder, which would simplify matters), the only option I really have to see the Liverpool game, to my knowledge, is through VIP-experience.
To break down the prices:
VIP-Tickets: 2000 pounds for 2 tickets (can probably be cut with 500~ pounds if we went for lower VIP-experiences)
Flight for two to Manchester & home: 1200~ pounds
Stay at Hotel Football from friday to monday (1-room for 2 adults): 800~ pounds.

For a normal trip, match-prices would be severely lowered, but it would still cost a ton for a trip due to the flight & hotel-stay.
That's on top of any extra stuff those who visit from abroad spend money on: Food, stuff in the club-shop, taxi/uber or whatever.
We live far away, so we naturally just have to accept that there are extra costs for us to see the team we support. The fact that we cannot make it to near as many games as the locals in no way makes us less or more supporters in my eyes.

Bit off the track:
If we take a look at Norwegian arm-chair supporters they too have to pay a pretty penny just to look at United from their chair.
TV2 has had the rights to the PL for a while: That's 40 pounds a month. But you want to see the CL and FA cup as well if the club is doing well enough to get into the CL? Well that's 32 pounds for Viaplay.
And there are a fair few games that aren't even shown. There are technical issues constantly, and TV2 for example are streaming in 720p because they are cheap as feck and won't bother upgrading for 4-5k pounds so people can watch in 1080p despite happily reporting that they are earning millions more in subscribers every month since Solskjær took over.
Good work fella! :)

jem

As someone who has never been to Old Trafford, I'd never dream of telling match-goers how to behave. I know that if I were there with my children, I'd want them to have the most positive experience possible. As well, it seems counter-productive to engage in chants that might affect the players. What I do think is reasonable is avoiding any and all United merchandise, cancelling subscriptions to team-channels, unfollowing on social media, etc. Not sure how effective it would be in the grand scheme of things, but if enough people did it, it might send a message.

Norris Cole

No. If people feel strongly about Woodward, go and protest outside his London office.

There should be no toxicity in the stadium at our first game. Imagine doing this with our young players just stepping up. This kind of thing is counter productive.
Don't let our players lose any confidence they have.

People can take the train to London and protest against Woodward there, just take the toxicity away from the players.
Agree with this.
Players need all the support they can get and this kind of unrest in the stands will only have a negative affect in performance and won't affect the upper echelons of management at all

AdamAdams

Got to agree with this, the negativity will not help the team. People may not be happy with Woodwood as we may have needed to strengthen further but I'm hoping it was probably Ole's decision to avoid signing more mercenaries and it may take more than a couple of windows for him to get the squad he wants. All 3 signings appear to really want to be here and not just here for the massive salary. Create a negative stadium and we'll struggle to attract more of the right signings in the next window.