Why Pep's Barcelona and Zidane's Real aren't comparable

matbezlima

I see Pep's PR machine has worked on you, because you sound like Xavi, oh they won but we were better, football lost.... I'm sure his philosophy worked great for him losing CL after CL against worse squads. Just look at City going out against Monaco, Spurs and whatnot, save me the philosophy talk.

And no, neither of Lyon, Stuttgart, or even Arsenal or Milan around 2009-2011ish were "great" sides. They were way way past it. Yet, Pep struggled playing away to such inferior sides.
You seem to be dismissing every team that Barcelona played against in Pep's era as not good. You seem to think that football was poor in Pep's era and Barcelona just took advantage of this. This is so silly that I won't even answer.

Arsenal and Milan were good sides, not great, I never said they were. And did you really read what I wrote at all?! Specially how they reached unprecedent technical levels in football? Did you watch those full matches that I recommended? And you ignored everything that I wrote about how Barcelona "struggled" away, specially this:

In the case of Barcelona's 1-1 draw against Bayern in 2009, Barcelona had won the first leg at home 4-0 in a fantastic performance! They played the second leg against Bayern at a very slow pace. Also, there were some cases, though, in which Barcelona was truly great playing away at the UCL and were actually just really unlucky to draw or lose. Watch the full matches of Barcelona against Arsenal at the Emirates in 2010 and 2011. Barcelona was truly brilliant, but they got complacent towards the end of the matches and allowed Arsenal's comebacks when they should have sealed both ties already! Barcelona dominated both games and were brilliant, Barcelona didn't have struggling performances at all if you watched the full matches, despite the final score. Real Madrid won plenty of matches away playing badly and even at home playing badly, like the games against Bayern in 2018. And Real almost got eliminated by Wolfsburg in 2016, losing 2-0 away in the first leg. Real's whole 2016 campaign was struggling, never convincing victories.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
I'll take it you only take winning into account and think that when a team doesn't win, it means they "struggled"...
Pep's Barça dominated those teams in 90mins despite not winning away.
That's almost true, yes, when you can't get good away results on a consistent basis, and you go out of KO ties, it means that you struggle with something, be it creating actual opportunities, converting them, being flexible, or a strong mentality.

You seem to be dismissing every team that Barcelona played against in Pep's era as not good. You seem to think that football was poor in Pep's era and Barcelona just took advantage of this. This is so silly that I won't even answer.

Arsenal and Milan were good sides, not great, I never said they were. And did you really read what I wrote at all?! Specially how they reached unprecedent technical levels in football? Did you watch those full matches that I recommended? And you ignored everything that I wrote about how Barcelona "struggled" away, specially this:

In the case of Barcelona's 1-1 draw against Bayern in 2009, Barcelona had won the first leg at home 4-0 in a fantastic performance! They played the second leg against Bayern at a very slow pace. Also, there were some cases, though, in which Barcelona was truly great playing away at the UCL and were actually just really unlucky to draw or lose. Watch the full matches of Barcelona against Arsenal at the Emirates in 2010 and 2011. Barcelona was truly brilliant, but they got complacent towards the end of the matches and allowed Arsenal's comebacks when they should have sealed both ties already! Barcelona dominated both games and were brilliant, Barcelona didn't have struggling performances at all if you watched the full matches, despite the final score. Real Madrid won plenty of matches away playing badly and even at home playing badly, like the games against Bayern in 2018. And Real almost got eliminated by Wolfsburg in 2016, losing 2-0 away in the first leg. Real's whole 2016 campaign was struggling, never convincing victories.
Bayern at 2008-09 is another example of a side that were far far away from their best, they had Klinsmann as the coach who couldn't get anything right, they were pretty bad at everything, crashing out of every competition, with every fan not being able to wait for him getting fired, which he did. So yes, no one cares that Barca put how many goals past them (and yet, funnily enough still didn't do well at the away tie).

As even yourself confessed, Milan and Arsenal were far from great around that time frame (08-12), I clearly remember that they were among the seeds that everyone would prefer to get in KO ties, rather than a Chelsea, United, Inter... or Bayern, Madrid, Dortmund etc. in the second half of that time interval.

matbezlima

That's almost true, yes, when you can't get good away results on a consistent basis, and you go out of KO ties, it means that you struggle with something, be it creating actual opportunities, converting them, being flexible, or a strong mentality.

Bayern at 2008-09 is another example of a side that were far far away from their best, they had Klinsmann as the coach who couldn't get anything right, they were pretty bad at everything, crashing out of every competition, with every fan not being able to wait for him getting fired, which he did. So yes, no one cares that Barca put how many goals past them (and yet, funnily enough still didn't do well at the away tie).

As even yourself confessed, Milan and Arsenal were far from great around that time frame (08-12), I clearly remember that they were among the seeds that everyone would prefer to get in KO ties, rather than a Chelsea, United, Inter... or Bayern, Madrid, Dortmund etc. in the second half of that time interval.
Barcelona did not care about the second leg against Bayern and played at a very slow place because they had won the first leg 4-0 and the tie was secured. Real in 2017 won 3-0 at home in the first leg against Atletico and lost 1-0 away. You again did not comment most of what I wrote or just didn't bother to read it all. Also, it's not like Zidane's Real didn't draw or lose many away ties, like against Wolfsburg in 2016, City in 2016, Atletico in 2017 and Juventus in 2018. And Real was very lucky to win both games against Bayern in 2018, specially the away leg. They struggled massively and Bayern was far superior. Bad luck or simple context of already have sealed the tie played a big part in most of Barcelona's away matches that they didn't win. Again, watch the full matches of Barcelona against Arsenal at the Emirates in 2010 and 2011. Barcelona was truly brilliant and dominating in both, specially in the 2010 game, in which Arsenal was lucky to escape a trashing, specially after Barcelona creating countless goal chances in the first 20 minutes. Barcelona's only problem in those games was bad luck and complacency towards the end of the matches. Also, Barcelona destroyed the opponents so comprehensively at the Camp Nou almost always that even if Barcelona was terrible away as you said, it would not be consequential for their ties and they would still go through extremely confortably, not so much the case with Zidane's Real.

And you never talk about how Barcelona reached technical levels unprecedent and unmatched in this sport. Please, watch the three full matches that I recommended. Barcelona's football was mind-blowing and easily far more brilliant than Zidane's Real. Barcelona was better at everything but mentality, they destroyed teams and were brilliant in a weekly basis. They lost the UCL in the 2009-2010 season, but were still clearly the best team in Europe throughout all season, with only 4 losses, a far better record than in the previous season in which they won the treble

Last edited:

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Barcelona did not care about the second leg against Bayern and played at a very slow place because they had won the first leg 4-0 and the tie was secured. Real in 2017 won 3-0 at home in the first leg against Atletico and lost 1-0 away. You again did not comment most of what I wrote or just didn't bother to read it all. Also, it's not like Zidane's Real didn't draw or lose many away ties, like against Wolfsburg in 2016, City in 2016, Atletico in 2017 and Juventus in 2018. And Real was very lucky to win both games against Bayern in 2018, specially the away leg. They struggled massively and Bayern was far superior. Bad luck or simple context of already have sealed the tie played a big part in most of Barcelona's away matches that they didn't win. Again, watch the full matches of Barcelona against Arsenal at the Emirates in 2010 and 2011. Barcelona was truly brilliant and dominating in both, specially in the 2010 game, in which Arsenal was lucky to escape a trashing, specially after Barcelona creating countless goal chances in the first 20 minutes. Barcelona's only problem in those games was bad luck and complacency towards the end of the matches. Also, Barcelona destroyed the opponents so comprehensively at the Camp Nou almost always that even if Barcelona was terrible away as you said, it would not be consequential for their ties and they would still go through extremely confortably, not so much the case with Zidane's Real.

And you never talk about how Barcelona reached technical levels unprecedent and unmatched in this sport. Please, watch the three full matches that I recommended. Barcelona's football was mind-blowing and easily far more brilliant than Zidane's Real. Barcelona was better at everything but mentality, they destroyed teams and were brilliant in a weekly basis. They lost the UCL in the 2009-2010 season, but were still clearly the best team in Europe throughout all season, with only 4 losses, a far better record than in the previous season in which they won the treble
Re those 3 matches, I've watched them live at the time.

Barcelona's football was mind-blowing, out of this world, unmatched etc. etc. is all subjective mate. It was out of this world for you, it was boring for someone else. In the end teams are, more often than not, judged by results, and Pep's results in CL(2 out of 4) -though absolutely great- had been done before, while Zizou's 3 successive CLs might stay for decades to come. Their Liga records, 3 in 4 for Pep against inferior opposition in Schuster's and Pellegirini's Madrid vs 1 in 2 (or 1.5 in 2.5) for Zizou against better opposition in a pretty solid Barca, Simone's Atleti, and La Liga being by far the best league during that period, isn't a night and day's difference either.

matbezlima

Barcelona's football was mind-blowing, out of this world, unmatched etc. etc. is all subjective mate. It was out of this world for you, it was boring for someone else. In the end teams are, more often than not, judged by results, and Pep's results in CL(2 out of 4) -though absolutely great- had been done before, while Zizou's 3 successive CLs might stay for decades to come. Their Liga records, 3 in 4 for Pep against inferior opposition in Schuster's and Pellegirini's Madrid vs 1 in 2 (or 1.5 in 2.5) for Zizou against better opposition in a pretty solid Barca, Simone's Atleti, and La Liga being by far the best league during that period, isn't a night and day's difference either.
Even if you don't love tiki-taka, the technical level of precision and skills as well as outplaying their adversaries so much is something that Zidane's Real can not match. The crazily high technical impeccability and precision in tight spaces and passing combinations is something that is objectively impressive even if the person hates tiki-taka. Tell me a Zidane's Real match that comes even remotely close to the pure dominance and sheer absurdly high technical level displayed by Pep's Barcelona in the 5-0 over Real, specially the second half. Messi is objectively the most technically skilled player in the world, specially in dribbling, for example, even if you prefer CR7. Football is sport and there are players and teams clearly superior to the others technically. Zidane's Real never came close to peak as high as Pep's Barcelona and they were often outplayed badly. They were bad against Bayern in 2018 and did not play a single great match in their 2016 UCL run, Bayern and Barcelona were far better teams than Real in 2016. Real's matches in 2016 UCL were dull and bad football, no technical brilliance. They won the final on penalties, lost to Wolfsburg away and won the tie against City 1-0 with a penalty in the worst UCL semi-finals of the decade. Bayern and Barcelona had been far superior almost the whole season and the big favorites to win, no one talked about Real. Real 2016 was the second worst UCL winner of the 2010s, Chelsea 2012 was the worst. And in 2018 they were terrible in La Liga

Last edited:

matbezlima

You try so hard to dimish the value of Guardiola's victories against Real and his La Liga titles from the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 seasons. You say that only Mourinho's Real was a good rival in the title race of Guardiola's 3 league wins.

Well, remember that Pellegrini's Real had insane 96 points in the 2009-2010 La Liga season, they lost only two times in La Liga, both defeats were against Barcelona. They pushed Barcelona to never stop winning and play at maximum level in all games, Barcelona had 99 points in that La Liga win (only losing once, against Atletico away, and only not winning one game at the Camp Nou, a 1-1 draw against Villarreal), and the title race kept going tight until May! In the 2010-2011 season, Mourinho had a fantastic start, the best of any Madrid coach in history, but the title race was dusted by February, specially after a defeat against Osasuna and Barcelona winning 16 consecutive games, having insane 61 points out of 66 points in their first 22 games in La Liga, drawing one game and losing one, winning all away games, scoring 70 goals and suffering only 11 goals. When the second Clásico in La Liga came, in March, Barcelona had a lead of eight points and a draw was all they needed to virtually secure the title, the game finished 1-1. Barcelona finished the 2010-2011 season with 96 points and Real with 92 points.

Second, Guardiola in won 9 games 15, 5 of these victories were at the Bernabéu, and lost only two times, one of these losses being on extra-time. Even in the 2011-2012 season, Real only defeated Barcelona once and lost two times at the Bernabéu! It's clear that Barcelona's dominance against Real and in La Liga throughout the season was far more consistent and overwhelming than Zidane's Real. As I said before, few would doubt that Barcelona in the 2009-2010's season weren't still easily the best and most dominant team in th world despite Inter winning the UCL.

Aside from winning one more UCL, Barcelona was far more consistent and impressive throughout their seasons, not only in their amount of victories but how convincing they were. You knew when you watched them play that they were fantastic and far above everyone else, this is not Zidane's Real case, their performances didn't peak as high as Pep's Barcelona and their fantastic and their truly amazing and dominant performances weren't nearly as often too.

Still, I will conceed that Guardiola made some mistakes with Barcelona. While that team would not reach those technical heights without him, his decision to let go of Eto'o after the 2008-2009 season, despite him being Barcelona's top striker in the season, and also using Ibrahimovic as a starter in both games against Inter against in 2010 might have cost Barcelona the UCL title in 2010. As Michael Cox's wonderful tactical reviews of both legs say, Ibrahimovic should only have come from the bench in the final stages of both matches as Barcelona's plan B after fast wingers would have tired Inter's defense throughout most of the game. Guardiola did the opposite, he mistook his plan B for his plan A. Ibrahimovic was virtually non-existent and hindered Barcelona's attacking fluency in both games. Iniesta's absence was surely a problem too. I'll make clear, though, that Inter fully deserved to go through and that they were truly great against Barcelona and a great team overall, their title was fully deserved. And while Guardiola got his tactics wrong, Mourinho got everything right. Inter truly nullified both Messi and Xavi.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/04/20/inter-3-1-barcelona-tactics-guardiola-mourinho/
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/04/28/barcelona-inter-mourinho-tactics/

EDIT: And if we are really going to dismiss fantastic teams because of mediocre adversaries then we might as well dismiss Ajax from the 70s. Their most famous victory, acclaimed as the pinnacle of total football, was the 1972 European Cup 2-0 win over Internazionale. Ajax was bloody marvelous and Internazionale could not get out of their own half. But Internazionale had suffered previously in the EC a 7-1 defeat against Borussia Mönchengladbach, but the game was nullified due to a bottle that hit an Internazionale player. It was a very old team in decline for years. Worse than United 2011. So, let's dismiss Ajax's amazing performance, one of the greatest performances in a final ever, as "they just exposed a mediocre team"?

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
@matbezlima I mean 90% of your posts read like the usual Pep/Xavi my philosophy rants, it's cool that you like the style, they were close to perfect at executing that style of play, I'm not going to take that away, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't get the same results in away games, with Pep even going for a double pivote on many occasions.

They were so used to doing that particular style, that they came really short in other areas, like being so weak on dead ball situations, getting exposed for it time and time again, or not doing well enough from direct crosses (remember the thousands of crossed that Alves made with no one was on the end of it?) or from outside the box, even if the situation literally begged for it. They weren't flexible, or versed enough in such elements, and that was their downfall in CL (has been since, for both Pep, and Barca).

Zizou's Madrid, while not perfect at any particular style, could perform almost any of them at a great level, being flexible to a ridiculous degree, while also having such a never-say-die mentality that set them apart, and that's what has helped them achieve the impossible that is 3 consecutive CLs.

Re Schuster and Pellegirni's Madrid, squads aside -and there was a big gap between them and Pep's side- the former two sides were an extension of the (generally) poor era of 2004 to 2010 for Madrid with only bits of good in between, going out in every last 16, lacking basic discipline, being weak mentally, losing many big games before a ball had been kicked, and absolutely irrelevant in Europe. Meanwhile Mou's side and especially post-Mou, Madrid was (almost) the big dog in Europe again, had gained that big game mentality and had a squad to back it up.

Last edited:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I would agree that Barcelona's standard of play from about October 2010 - early February 2011 was probably the highest level that I've seen in my lifetime for sure. From the memory, the only difficulties they had during that period were against Athletic Bilbao in the Copa Del Rey R16 (it's a tough schedule in January with Copa Del Rey matches every Wednesday), but apart from aside from that tie, they were typically scoring 3 or more goals in most of their matches and were unstoppable.

Regarding that 5-0 win against Real Madrid at the Camp Nou, that was made more impressive by the fact that Barcelona's starting line-up cost less than 85 euros in transfer fees with 7 players not costing anything after graduating from La Masia and an 8th player Pique also developing at La Masia and being re-signed from Utd for a pretty small fee, while Real Madrid's cost about 290 million in transfer fees.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Jeez let's just agree Madrid were the better team
Were they as good as "the invincibles" though
I would agree that Barcelona's standard of play from about October 2010 - early February 2011 was probably the highest level that I've seen in my lifetime for sure. From the memory, the only difficulties they had during that period were against Athletic Bilbao in the Copa Del Rey R16 (it's a tough schedule in January with Copa Del Rey matches every Wednesday), but apart from aside from that tie, they were typically scoring 3 or more goals in most of their matches and were unstoppable.

Regarding that 5-0 win against Real Madrid at the Camp Nou, that was made more impressive by the fact that Barcelona's starting line-up cost less than 85 euros in transfer fees with 7 players not costing anything after graduating from La Masia and an 8th player Pique also developing at La Masia and being re-signed from Utd for a pretty small fee, while Real Madrid's cost about 290 million in transfer fees.
It's funny how certain people mention the 5-0 where Mou was clearly still not sure what to do in his first Clasico against a super well-oiled machine with clear ideas, while the same people don't mention how the same sides faced each other 4 times within something like 14 days in that same season, and that same super sayan (especially for some United fans who see that side as something mythical and unbeatable, while the reality is that the reason they got in the final was due to facing Schalke, rather than Barca or Madrid)... Barca drew the first one, lost the second one, won the third one, and drew the fourth one.

And the single win was with a super controversial decision that turned the match on its head, where Barca couldn't break through Madrid for the third match in a row, this time with Pepe man marking Messi out of the game, with the few opportunities being all made by Madrid, not Barca, but the red for Pepe allowed Messi to be free and the structure fell apart, Alves made a clear dive, he wasn't even touched, but acted like he'd been shot, and was called for it by the likes of Ferdinand. There was also a legit goal by Higuain that got disallowed in the fourth match. So one might argue that were it not for those decisions, looking at the theme (2 games plus 60-70ish minutes into the third game till that red), it could've been 2 wins for Madrid and 2 draws.

Still even including those nasty decisions against Madrid, the whole 4 match marathon ended in 1 win for each, and two draws. You'd expect the best ever side to do a bit better against Mou's first try, and we know Madrid only improved in the next season, and Pep lost the Liga by 9 points, missing the huge Clasico at Nou Camp against the exact same XI that he had won 5-0, but this time with more clear ideas, and that loss was followed by another painful loss to Di Matteo's Chelsea as well.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Think Zidane's Madrid doesn't get nearly enough credit for the football they played. People sort of project Cristiano's most characteristic traits (drive, efficiency, winning mentality) to that team. However, I think that Modric, Kroos, Marcelo, Carvajal, Isco, Varane, Ramos and Benzema are technically absolutely superb players which aren't too far behind their Barca counterparts. And they often played similarly to how Barca did before them, too. That supercup win against Barca eyemplarily was a complete display of dominance.

Barca overall was better, though, while Madrid got a little bit more luck in key moments and thus have a better trophy haul.

matbezlima

Were they as good as "the invincibles" though

It's funny how certain people mention the 5-0 where Mou was clearly still not sure what to do in his first Clasico against a super well-oiled machine with clear ideas, while the same people don't mention how the same sides faced each other 4 times within something like 14 days in that same season, and that same super sayan (especially for some United fans who see that side as something mythical and unbeatable, while the reality is that the reason they got in the final was due to facing Schalke, rather than Barca or Madrid)... Barca drew the first one, lost the second one, won the third one, and drew the fourth one.

And the single win was with a super controversial decision that turned the match on its head, where Barca couldn't break through Madrid for the third match in a row, this time with Pepe man marking Messi out of the game, with the few opportunities being all made by Madrid, not Barca, but the red for Pepe allowed Messi to be free and the structure fell apart, Alves made a clear dive, he wasn't even touched, but acted like he'd been shot, and was called for it by the likes of Ferdinand. There was also a legit goal by Higuain that got disallowed in the fourth match. So one might argue that were it not for those decisions, looking at the theme (2 games plus 60-70ish minutes into the third game till that red), it could've been 2 wins for Madrid and 2 draws.

Still even including those nasty decisions against Madrid, the whole 4 match marathon ended in 1 win for each, and two draws. You'd expect the best ever side to do a bit better against Mou's first try, and we know Madrid only improved in the next season, and Pep lost the Liga by 9 points, missing the huge Clasico at Nou Camp against the exact same XI that he had won 5-0, but this time with more clear ideas, and that loss was followed by another painful loss to Di Matteo's Chelsea as well.
The La Liga clásico that Barcelona drew was a game that Barcelona only needed a draw to secure the title win. Barcelona even went ahead, but were more bothered with keeping possession instead of extending the lead. The second game had Barcelona in the first half having their worst performance of the season. Real had big merits, but Barcelona could play far better than that, their passing was imprecise and erratic. About the first leg in UCL, you blatantly lied. Barcelona created good chances, few, but created them. Real, meanwhile, only had one good chance. Real was containing Barcelona successfully, but were creating virtually nothing too. Barcelona rarely looked second best in the game. Besides, Iniesta was injured and it was one of the worst Clásicos of the decade, the technical level was atrocious and both teams were disgraceful, diving a lot, kicking each other a lot and trying to get the opposition's players sent off, so I can't feel pity for Real with that red. Besides, Mourinho played for the 0-0 at home, a terrible decision against a Barcelona team that usually devastated everyone at the Camp Nou. The second leg had Barcelona far superior to Real despite the draw, technically the best Clásico of the series, but since Barcelona had won the first leg away 2-0, Barcelona weren't really fussed to win the second leg, aside from a spell in the first half in which Barcelona had at least 6 or 7 great goal chances in 10 minutes and Real only had one shot on target in the entire game. Overall, that series of Clásicos was very tough, mentally and physically exhausting. The pressure was huge and Barcelona's players knew that if they did not eliminate Real in UCL, their claim as an all-time great side would be up in smoke. Anyway, I repeat: Barcelona's performances were nowhere near their best level and also their football in the season had been from October to early February. If the series of 4 clásicos had happened, things could have been different.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/04/17/real-madrid-1-1-barcelona-tactics/
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/04/21/real-madrid-1-0-barcelona-copa-del-rey-tactics/
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/04/28/real-madrid-0-2-barcelona-tactics/
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/05/04/barcelona-1-1-real-madrid-barca-progress/

Anyway, I repeat that I haven't seen a performance of such high technical level as the 5-0. On that day, any team in the world would be stomped regardless of tactics, that's how Guardiola's Barcelona was in their best games and why they have such high status. Real Madrid was a jack-of-all-trades, very good in all styles, a team characterized by winning and strong mentality, Barcelona was an specialist that took football to new levels and changed it forever like the Milan 1988-1990 and Ajax 1970-1973. Sacchi's Milan won only two UCLs, but are still universally regarded as a better and more brilliant side than the Bayern from the 70s that won 3 consecutive UCLs. Also, if Pep's Barcelona and Zidane's Real faced each other, either Barcelona would stomp or Real would win in Copa Del Rey fashion style. Also, let's remember that Barcelona kept defeating Real in almost all games in the 2011-2012 season, two victories at the Bernabéu and one at Camp Nou, despite Real being, as you said, clearly better than in the previous season while Barcelona was worse

Jeez let's just agree Madrid were the better team
Not really.
@matbezlima I mean 90% of your posts read like the usual Pep/Xavi my philosophy rants, it's cool that you like the style, they were close to perfect at executing that style of play, I'm not going to take that away, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't get the same results in away games, with Pep even going for a double pivote on many occasions.

They were so used to doing that particular style, that they came really short in other areas, like being so weak on dead ball situations, getting exposed for it time and time again, or not doing well enough from direct crosses (remember the thousands of crossed that Alves made with no one was on the end of it?) or from outside the box, even if the situation literally begged for it. They weren't flexible, or versed enough in such elements, and that was their downfall in CL (has been since, for both Pep, and Barca).

Zizou's Madrid, while not perfect at any particular style, could perform almost any of them at a great level, being flexible to a ridiculous degree, while also having such a never-say-die mentality that set them apart, and that's what has helped them achieve the impossible that is 3 consecutive CLs.

Re Schuster and Pellegirni's Madrid, squads aside -and there was a big gap between them and Pep's side- the former two sides were an extension of the (generally) poor era of 2004 to 2010 for Madrid with only bits of good in between, going out in every last 16, lacking basic discipline, being weak mentally, losing many big games before a ball had been kicked, and absolutely irrelevant in Europe. Meanwhile Mou's side and especially post-Mou, Madrid was (almost) the big dog in Europe again, had gained that big game mentality and had a squad to back it up.
Actually, I don't really disagree with this post. But you still haven't comented this:

And if we are really going to dismiss fantastic teams because of mediocre adversaries then we might as well dismiss Ajax from the 70s. Their most famous victory, acclaimed as the pinnacle of total football, was the 1972 European Cup 2-0 win over Internazionale. Ajax was bloody marvelous and Internazionale could not get out of their own half. But Internazionale had suffered previously in the EC a 7-1 defeat against Borussia Mönchengladbach, but the game was nullified due to a bottle that hit an Internazionale player. It was a very old team in decline for years. Worse than United 2011. So, let's dismiss Ajax's amazing performance, one of the greatest performances in a final ever, as "they just exposed a mediocre team"?

Last edited:

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
What a dumb ass question

Next you'll ask me if 2007 Madrid was better
That'd still be on par with your input wouldn't it

The La Liga clásico that Barcelona drew was a game that Barcelona only needed a draw to secure the title win. Barcelona even went ahead, but were more bothered with keeping possession instead of extending the lead. The second game had Barcelona in the first half having their worst performance of the season. Real had big merits, but Barcelona could play far better than that, their passing was imprecise and erratic. About the first leg in UCL, you blatantly lied. Barcelona created good chances, few, but created them. Real, meanwhile, only had one good chance. Real was containing Barcelona successfully, but were creating virtually nothing too. Barcelona rarely looked second best in the game. Besides, Iniesta was injured and it was one of the worst Clásicos of the decade, the technical level was atrocious and both teams were disgraceful, diving a lot, kicking each other a lot and trying to get the opposition's players sent off, so I can't feel pity for Real with that red. Besides, Mourinho played for the 0-0 at home, a terrible decision against a Barcelona team that usually devastated everyone at the Camp Nou. The second leg had Barcelona far superior to Real despite the draw, technically the best Clásico of the series, but since Barcelona had won the first leg away 2-0, Barcelona weren't really fussed to win the second leg, aside from a spell in the first half in which Barcelona had at least 6 or 7 great goal chances in 10 minutes and Real only had one shot on target in the entire game. Overall, that series of Clásicos was very tough, mentally and physically exhausting. The pressure was huge and Barcelona's players knew that if they did not eliminate Real in UCL, their claim as an all-time great side would be up in smoke. Anyway, I repeat: Barcelona's performances were nowhere near their best level and also their football in the season had been from October to early February. If the series of 4 clásicos had happened, things could have been different.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/04/17/real-madrid-1-1-barcelona-tactics/
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/04/21/real-madrid-1-0-barcelona-copa-del-rey-tactics/
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/04/28/real-madrid-0-2-barcelona-tactics/
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/05/04/barcelona-1-1-real-madrid-barca-progress/

Anyway, I repeat that I haven't seen a performance of such high technical level as the 5-0. On that day, any team in the world would be stomped regardless of tactics, that's how Guardiola's Barcelona was in their best games and why they have such high status. Real Madrid was a jack-of-all-trades, very good in all styles, a team characterized by winning and strong mentality, Barcelona was an specialist that took football to new levels and changed it forever like the Milan 1988-1990 and Ajax 1970-1973. Sacchi's Milan won only two UCLs, but are still universally regarded as a better and more brilliant side than the Bayern from the 70s that won 3 consecutive UCLs. Also, if Pep's Barcelona and Zidane's Real faced each other, either Barcelona would stomp or Real would win in Copa Del Rey fashion style. Also, let's remember that Barcelona kept defeating Real in almost all games in the 2011-2012 season, two victories at the Bernabéu and one at Camp Nou, despite Real being, as you said, clearly better than in the previous season while Barcelona was worse

Not really.

Actually, I don't really disagree with this post. But you still haven't comented this:

And if we are really going to dismiss fantastic teams because of mediocre adversaries then we might as well dismiss Ajax from the 70s. Their most famous victory, acclaimed as the pinnacle of total football, was the 1972 European Cup 2-0 win over Internazionale. Ajax was bloody marvelous and Internazionale could not get out of their own half. But Internazionale had suffered previously in the EC a 7-1 defeat against Borussia Mönchengladbach, but the game was nullified due to a bottle that hit an Internazionale player. It was a very old team in decline for years. Worse than United 2011. So, let's dismiss Ajax's amazing performance, one of the greatest performances in a final ever, as "they just exposed a mediocre team"?
So not going to mention the blatant refereeing decisions in their favor, and dismiss the rest as Barca were poor blah blah blah, you can spin it all you want but any sane person would say that those 4 games in April within 14 days was a better picture of Mou's 1st season (let alone his second, or Zizou's Madrid, which was in a different planet in CL) than an isolated game in the beginning of the season, and in those 4 games, Pep couldn't do well in the first 2, and 60-70 mins into the 3rd one, till the dive and the red, and the 4th one he didn't win either, yet a legit goal by Higuain was disallowed. It wasn't a good showing, definitely not worthy of a best ever performance or something.

Actually there's a stupid recurring theme in your posts, you isolate a game of them against a side that was just decent but far from great (Milan, Stuttgart, Arse etc) or wasn't ready yet (Mou's 1st game) than a side that could make them suffer, and consistently draw or win games against them (Mou's other 4 games, or the huge Nou Camp Clasico in Mou's 2nd season).

Last edited:

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
He won't shut up otherwise
Says the guy with hundreds of posts on the subject, even going as far as changing the rules of the competition back to a way to fit his narrative.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Think Zidane's Madrid doesn't get nearly enough credit for the football they played. People sort of project Cristiano's most characteristic traits (drive, efficiency, winning mentality) to that team. However, I think that Modric, Kroos, Marcelo, Carvajal, Isco, Varane, Ramos and Benzema are technically absolutely superb players which aren't too far behind their Barca counterparts. And they often played similarly to how Barca did before them, too. That supercup win against Barca eyemplarily was a complete display of dominance.

Barca overall was better, though, while Madrid got a little bit more luck in key moments and thus have a better trophy haul.
Real Madrid played some quality football in 2016/17 IMO. Feels weird that Celta Vigo (?) knocked them out of the Copa. They should have won the treble.

matbezlima

Real Madrid played some quality football in 2016/17 IMO. Feels weird that Celta Vigo (?) knocked them out of the Copa. They should have won the treble.
I agree.

So not going to mention the blatant refereeing decisions in their favor, and dismiss the rest as Barca were poor blah blah blah, you can spin it all you want but any sane person would say that those 4 games in April within 14 days was a better picture of Mou's 1st season (let alone his second, or Zizou's Madrid, which was in a different planet in CL) than an isolated game in the beginning of the season, and in those 4 games, Pep couldn't do well in the first 2, and 60-70 mins into the 3rd one, till the dive and the red, and the 4th one he didn't win either, yet a legit goal by Higuain was disallowed. It wasn't a good showing, definitely not worthy of a best ever performance or something.

Actually there's a stupid recurring theme in your posts, you isolate a game of them against a side that was just decent but far from great (Milan, Stuttgart, Arse etc) or wasn't ready yet (Mou's 1st game) than a side that could make them suffer, and consistently draw or win games against them (Mou's other 4 games, or the huge Nou Camp Clasico in Mou's 2nd season).
Mou's Madrid was pretty much the only team that could stifle that Barcelona. Pepe's red was fair, it was a tackle that deserved it regardless if it touched Alves or not. Besides, Real was diving a lot too, so I can't feel any simpathy for Real. Both teams were disgraceful. And again, Barcelona only needed a draw in the first and fourth game in the Clásico series. They had en eight point lead in La Liga and won the UCL's first leg away 2-0, you can't ignore this context behind both draws. Also, please read this:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/how...arcelona-were-in-danger-of-collapsing.454277/

And stop always dismissing all Barcelona's adversaries that aren't Real Madrid, it's not like Zidane's Real adversaries were so much better, far from it. Can't you see that you always dismisses Barcelona's adversaries as not good/great? You are basically saying that there weren't good/great teams back then besides Barcelona! And this is silly. Also, you seem to always look and focus on Barcelona's adversaries rather than on Barcelona's absurdly high level of play. Watch Barcelona, see how well they play, that's why they are so highly regarded, you seem to have a blind spot to how spectacular was Barcelona's technical level of football, something never seen before and still unequalled. What about the 2-0 group stage win over Internazionale in 2009? It was a truly amazing performance from Barcelona, they destroyed Inter at the Camp Nou. Inter didn't have Sneijder, but Barcelona also didn't have Messi.

And again you refuse to acknowledge that Barcelona could play far better than they did in those 4 games. I'm not trying to take away Madrid's merits! And don't forget that Barcelona defeated Real two times at the Bernabéu in the 2011-2012 season. And you continue to not comment this:

"And if we are really going to dismiss fantastic teams because of mediocre adversaries then we might as well dismiss Ajax from the 70s. Their most famous victory, acclaimed as the pinnacle of total football, was the 1972 European Cup 2-0 win over Internazionale. Ajax was bloody marvelous and Internazionale could not get out of their own half. But Internazionale had suffered previously in the EC a 7-1 defeat against Borussia Mönchengladbach, but the game was nullified due to a bottle that hit an Internazionale player. It was a very old team in decline for years. Worse than United 2011. So, let's dismiss Ajax's amazing performance, one of the greatest performances in a final ever, as "they just exposed a mediocre team"?

Also, Honestly, I think that prime Heynckes' Bayern, in the 2012/2013 season, was better than Zidane's Real in any season. They were just as versatile and their football was more brilliant and dominating, swatting aside everyone. The greatest season in football history, consistently obliterating everyone.

Last edited:

matbezlima

Also, the Copa Del Rey final was a game of two halves. Real was better in the first half and Barcelona was better in the second. It was a tight and cagey match. Also, I respect Mou's Madrid very much, as this post below that I made in another thread shows:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/how...arcelona-were-in-danger-of-collapsing.454277/

"How towards the end of the 2010-2011 season Pep's Barcelona were in danger of collapsing.

Despite being the season in which Barcelona reached the pinnacle of their football, the 5-0 against Real Madrid being the greatest performance I ever saw and the technical pinnacle of this sport, that season was not without its serious rough moments despite still ending so well.

Barcelona played fantastic, extra-terrestrial football in that season in almost all games from October to early February, even the 2-1 loss to Arsenal had brilliant football. Their performances from March to April, though, were mostly very lukewarm and off-color, nowhere near their previous level in the season. They recovered their absolute best football only against United in the final.

What really stands out the most is the series of 4 clásicos against Madrid in April and May. Things got very tense and Barcelona's players had lost their previous levels of confidence when facing Real Madrid. They were physically exhausted. Injuries, such as Puyol (Barcelona's defense was far shakier without him), Abidal out with cancer, and lack of rest had started to plague the team since February and caused a significant drop in the level of performance despite still winning almost all games, with some players having to play out of position, such as Busquets as centre-back, Mascherano as DM (which obviously meant that Barcelona lost a lot of their verve and creativity in midfield), Barcelona couldn't play their ideal XI. Look at Barcelona's line-ups in the second leg against Arsenal and in the first leg against Shakhtar. There was also huge mental exhaustion due to the pressure and hype as "best team ever" and Mourinho's constant trash talking really got under Barcelona's players and Guardiola's skin. Pedro and Villa also entered a slump and spent many games without scoring and also lacking confidence, sharpness and precision in their play and the same could be say to a fair degree about Barcelona's play too as a whole in the games.

Now, let's go in deep detail about the series of 4 clásicos. The 1-1 draw in La Liga was not a great performance, too much sterile possession, lacking creativity and precise through balls to break Real's defense, while Mourinho had set up Real very deep and put Pepe as holding midfielder responsible to stop Barcelona's midfield flow, to nullify Xavi and Iniesta. And Pepe excelled in his role. Still, it was a draw that kept Barcelona's 8 point advantage in La Liga and didn't affect much the confidence of Barcelona. But the Copa Del Rey final was another history. Barcelona couldn't get into a stable passing rythm in the first half, Real's big, physical approach was working. Barcelona was unrecognizable and the passing was poor. In the second half, Barcelona was much better. In extra-time, Real won. That brought the confidence of Real's players really high, the trauma and fear of facing Barcelona was gone. Pepe said that Mourinho told his players that 'Barcelona are not Robocop, if we really press them, they will make mistakes and we need to take advantage of them'.

Barcelona's players, meanwhile, had lost a good level of self-confidence in their own quality after that loss. The 5-0 seemed a distant game now. It didn't help that what Barcelona would play for was not 'only' a place in the UCL final. As Iniesta said in the documentary, winning or not that UCL would be the difference between recognition as an all-time great team, one of the best ever, and as a great team, 'but not one of the best'.

Before the first leg at UCL, Barcelona and Real played in La Liga and rested most of their starters. Despite this, Real had a great performance in defeating Valencia 6-3. Meanwhile, Barcelona won 2-0 against Osasuna in an absolutely putrid and ugly match, terrible. For the UCL first leg, Puyol was back, but had to play as full-back because Abidal still was not available. And Iniesta was also injured for the game, a terrible loss. Keita would play in his place. In the match, we had the worst Clásico of all. Technically terrible. Real's strategy was sitting very deep, crowd the box and let Barcelona have all the ball. Real was playing for the 0-0 at home! They tried to counter-attack with long balls sometimes, but these long balls were dreadful. Same thing for the set pieces, terrible. I think that Real had only one or two good chances in the game. Meanwhile, Barcelona was not that much better. They had ridiculous amount of possession, but at their own half. Xavi was being man-marked and nullified by Pepe. Messi couldn't see much of the ball. And Barcelona overall approached the game with far more pragmatism and conservatism, they didn't try many of their triangles and typical fast passing, the full-backs, even Alves, stayed in the own half to prevent Real's counter-attacks.

But the worst aspect of that match was the constant violence and play-acting of both teams. They often seemed to be trying harder to get an adversary sent off than trying to score a goal. It was a physical and scrappy match. Sérgio Ramos provoked a dumb yellow card that suspended him for the second leg. Ultimately, Pepe was sent off in the second half, and he deserved it in my opinion regardless if he touched Alves or not. Messi was decisive and scored two goals, the second one being the greatest UCL goal ever in my opinion. The second leg was a game well controlled by Barcelona and by far the best game technically of the 4 clásicos. Barcelona's confidence seemed to be back and some of their interplay in midfield was outstanding. What they lacked was urgency in trying to score, despite a strong spell in the first half that forced Casillas to make many great saves in sequence. Real tried to play proactive football, but Barcelona's technical quality in possession was too much. Real's only shot on target was the goal after Barcelona had scored first.

Barcelona's players regarded facing and eliminating Real in the UCL's semi-finals as their biggest challenge and triumph of that season. They said that they really won the UCL when they defeated Real, United was not really worrying them, only Real. They were really confident in winning and destroying United, as it happened. UCL 2011 final was the game that fully cemented that Barcelona as one of the best teams ever! They also had a good time of rest before the final and had their full ideal XI, besides Puyol, finally back to action and well.

They weren't infallible, they were human, but when they were at their peak no team could hope to come close. Their best matches were really something else, the technical level, the dominance and control over the adversaries was so ridiculously high and alien, unlike anything seen before or after, pushing the sport to its highest levels. That's why they gave such an impression of being invincible despite not being, no team is. It's impossible. Despite being eliminated by Sevilla in Copa Del Rey and Inter in UCL, Barcelona was still clearly the best team in Europe in the 2009-2010 season, with only 4 defeats. And April 2012 was the first time they suffered two defeats in a row since Guardiola assumed. The only flaw that they had was maybe that they were so used to destroy adversaries and so much faith and confidence in their philosophy that they could be seriously shaken and nervous in the rare times that they weren't at their best and unable to penetrate a tough defense. Nervousness could really consume them as a snow-ball in these matches. They were still human after all."

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Pep's Barca got knocked out by the worst CL winner of the past 10 years, also by Mou's Inter and they lost a League title to Mou's Madrid too.
On top of that they don't win that 2009 CL without the ref feck-ups against Chelsea
They were perhaps the most enjoyable/highest peak a team has reached but they weren't invincibles, far from it.
Madrid weren’t invincible either, and 2011 Barca annihilates any other team in the past ten years

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Maxrid are better in my opinion. They reguraly went aeay to the toughest grounds in world football and swept befotr them. A lot of Peps ewns were get them back to Camp Nou and repair the damage.
That Madrid sides directness would kill tiki taka
And yet Madrid’s record against Barca in la liga was crummy with many lopsided defeats in the last decade.

VanKenny

MSN's Barcelona is way above Zidane's Madrid IMO. The Guardiola 2010 team shouldnt even be on the discussion, that team is alone at the top.

matbezlima

@MVBDX

I edited my original post in this thread, especially to make me sound more sympathetic to Zidane's Real. I got too caught in the heat of this discussion and detracted too much Zidane's Real unfairly. I made this mistake with Zidane's Real, you with Guardiola's Barcelona. I go back in many of my statements. I hope that this new edited OP can please both you and me equally, specially the last paragraph that I added now:

Both Pep's Barcelona and Zidane's Real are historical teams that became so historical, memorable and remarkable for very different, sometimes opposite, reasons. That's why comparing both ultimately does not make much sense. Pep's Barcelona had a more lasting effect in the game and looked unbeatable in their best matches, pushing football to its highest technical level.

Zidane's Madrid was a different case. What defined that Real team was ultimately their mentality and competitive edge to score and get the result even when playing badly and under big pressure, such as both legs against Bayern in 2018 (Bayern clearly superior in both games, though they weren't technically great games anyway, and still losing due to Real taking advantage of Rafinha and Ulreich's terrible mistakes, not unlike Karius' two blunders in the final) and the second leg against Juventus also in 2018. Their decline had clearly started already, their football was unconvincing and they were 17 points behind Barcelona in La Liga. The winning mentality of a club made to win, fated, almost doomed to win at times, of the UCL king, was still as strong as ever though. It's admirable.

Xavi once said that he envied how Real could get the needed results even when outplayed and playing badly, this is something that Real has more than any other club. And the UCL is Real's big playground, they can win it even if playing badly in most of the games in the season, such as their last season. In the 2015-2016, Zidane had assumed only in the middle of the season and Real had the easiest CL run ever and even then their football was never really good and convincing in that 2016 UCL KO. Barcelona and Bayern had been playing the best football in Europe throughout almost the entire 2015/2016 season. When it comes to pure quality and technical level, though, Zidane's Real was truly at its prime in the 2016-2017 season. They were really great. Not peak Pep's Barcelona level, but still very high quality and best team in the world. Considering all of this, the fact that Real was the club able to win 3 consecutive titles despite some previous squads being more brilliant than them feels fitting and right, inevitable. Zidane's Real is defined by Thanos' quote: "I am inevitable". Their motto was winning at the big stage no matter what.

To make my point clear, I'm not really putting one team above the other, I'm just saying that their differences mean that what made both go in history forever is different and both have their place, you cam't say that one is really significantly superior, more relevant or important in football history than the other. Like the Ajax from the 70s and Bayern from the 70s.