Why so many knee-jerk reactions and negativity 7 games in?

FerociousCorgis

cant wait till the thread title can be updated "why so many knee-jerk reactions and negativity after 7 seasons in" as we continually see this trash put out there on the field.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Firstly, I'm a City fan, and was in the away end last Saturday. However, I flirt around on this forum, mainly because I think the moderators are better than some of the City forums, and subsequently the posts are less confrontational and allow for sensible debate.

As regards your latest situation, I genuinely think that United are making the same mistake as 1990s Liverpool and allowing the mythology to cloud the overall decision making.

Rewind to the Summer of 1977, and from a position of strength, the reigning European Champions arguably enjoyed the greatest transfer window of all time (or certainly the 1970s version) when they bought Hansen, Dalglish, and then a few months later, Souness. Add Lawrenson and Rush to the late 70s mix, and it virtually guaranteed a decade of success, regardless of a few equally poor signings.

This successful transfer policy enabled the club to expand the myth that it was nothing to do with tactics, and everything to do with four old codgers in 1950s track suits drinking coffee and whisky, whilst talking football in the Liverpool Boot Room.

Dalglish spent well in the summer of 87, but by the early 90s the Boot Room myth had been exposed as first Souness and then Evans allowed the club to drift with a series of expensive blunders.

Simultaneously, United had reached the summit, and a series of clever purchases were eventually backed-up by the Class of 92, and two decades of domination.

The problem now is that 1992 was almost 30 years ago and the football landscape has changed completely In fact, even taking City's spending out of the equation, where were United when Leicester's scouting team were buying, and subsequently winning the PL with Mahrez, Kante, and Kasper Schmeichel, all of whom are still PL regulars?
The United Way has become your Liverpool Boot Room. It's merely a utopian idea that in reality, just happened by sheer coincidence, and until the penny drops, and your club returns to proper scouting methods, whilst finding players to fit the Manager's style, you'll continue to struggle.
Excellent post and thanks for providing some much needed perspective.

Have we found City's duffer?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Because the mods seem to think that I’m a City fan because I think we should give Ole more time. God forbid that any Utd fan should get behind the manager of course.
Nobody likes sheep
The fact that people who have chosen to back Ole receive such vitriol is so dissapointing and alarming. In any case the end of the season we shall see. I recognise they aren't going to sack him.

Almost every paper is a lie, something tells me Ole is going to be hear beyond January and they will back him in the window with a DM.

So as a supporter I'm just going to get behind the squad, the manager, the club. Its my main job.
:lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Supporting someone that doesn't serve the interest of the club isn't being behind the club. It's suprising how some fail to see this. Doing right by someone or something isn't synonymous of accepting everything,, if a friend tells you that he is going to start consuming meth, you don't give him your blind support, that wouldn't be the friendly thing to do, you should find a way to make him understand that it's a terrible idea even if it immediately hurts his feelings.

Similarly being a fan of a club doesn't mean that you should accept or agree with every decisions or that you should vocally support every person affiliated with the club. You are not supposed to enable wrong behavior when you care about something or someone.
Well put.

wolvored

Firstly, I'm a City fan, and was in the away end last Saturday. However, I flirt around on this forum, mainly because I think the moderators are better than some of the City forums, and subsequently the posts are less confrontational and allow for sensible debate.

As regards your latest situation, I genuinely think that United are making the same mistake as 1990s Liverpool and allowing the mythology to cloud the overall decision making.

Rewind to the Summer of 1977, and from a position of strength, the reigning European Champions arguably enjoyed the greatest transfer window of all time (or certainly the 1970s version) when they bought Hansen, Dalglish, and then a few months later, Souness. Add Lawrenson and Rush to the late 70s mix, and it virtually guaranteed a decade of success, regardless of a few equally poor signings.

This successful transfer policy enabled the club to expand the myth that it was nothing to do with tactics, and everything to do with four old codgers in 1950s track suits drinking coffee and whisky, whilst talking football in the Liverpool Boot Room.

Dalglish spent well in the summer of 87, but by the early 90s the Boot Room myth had been exposed as first Souness and then Evans allowed the club to drift with a series of expensive blunders.

Simultaneously, United had reached the summit, and a series of clever purchases were eventually backed-up by the Class of 92, and two decades of domination.

The problem now is that 1992 was almost 30 years ago and the football landscape has changed completely In fact, even taking City's spending out of the equation, where were United when Leicester's scouting team were buying, and subsequently winning the PL with Mahrez, Kante, and Kasper Schmeichel, all of whom are still PL regulars?
The United Way has become your Liverpool Boot Room. It's merely a utopian idea that in reality, just happened by sheer coincidence, and until the penny drops, and your club returns to proper scouting methods, whilst finding players to fit the Manager's style, you'll continue to struggle.
Well said. You should get a like for that.

Gazza

Terrific post.

It's funny - when Sir Alex left, we had a perfect road-map of what not do when Busby left -- history showed that it wasn't a good idea having him in the background, still around the club, with his closest allies in the squad still having open dialogue with him. And yet, it seems we have learned nothing: Fergie may not be an everyday presence, but with Solskjaer, Carrick, Phelan all on board, you might as well have the man himself still around. No one in that group is going to question the house that Sir Alex built.

stw2022

There's always a rush to blame Sir Alex. Probably from people who think his 27 years meant nothing because he said 'no value in the market' once. It's been the same with every managerial appointment; speculation we're not firing them because of evil old Sir Alex. When they're gone it turns out Fergie wasn't involved at all and their continuation in the role had feck all to do with him but there's an element of support DESPERATE to tarnish his legacy because he didn't buy a green and gold scarf once...or something

lemmiwink

We are in line to finsih 8th or so given the current trajectory?

I would hardly classify it as a knee jerk reaction to want a manager who is performing worse than basically anyone else, with one of the best teams in europe, gone.

Our coaching setup is basically people learning on the job. Our manager is learning on the job. Our technical director is learning on the job.

Everyone who plays for, or support, the club suffers because of it.

thread is ageing like fine wine.

FerociousCorgis

We are in line to finsih 8th or so given the current trajectory?

I would hardly classify it as a knee jerk reaction to want a manager who is performing worse than basically anyone else, with one of the best teams in europe, gone.

Our coaching setup is basically people learning on the job. Our manager is learning on the job. Our technical director is learning on the job.

Everyone who plays for, or support, the club suffers because of it.

thread is ageing like fine wine.
league position really is only part of the story. How many games last season did we play like shite but squeeze out a win? Only so long you can do that before odds start catching up to you.

I'm shocked by the bullying that goes unpunished on these forums!
Oh give over... Let's disregard his constant fawning over how amazing Citeh are and that around 90% of his posts mention, or are directly about Citeh, let's just look at the constant massive fecking wind up the bloke's embarked upon ever since he joined the forum. Unless all of the following are genuine views by the same poster :eek:

On the new guy after Jose...

This thread shows why we need to stick with Jose. However, if we change, I wouldn’t go for a ‘Fancy Dan’ foreign manager like City or Liverpool. I’d go for a solid British manager. Someone like Sean Dyche.
On Maguire vs. Jones vs Tom Cleverley...

I’d also say that Maguire is the Tom Cleverley of defenders. Give me Jones over either of these two frauds any day. At least with Jones, expectations are low and he gives 100% every game.
On SAF's achievements with Aberdeen and how Ole may still now turn into the greatest ever if we just stick with him...

Winning the Scottish league was as unremarkable then as it is now. I know that SAF did it with Aberdeen, but it was still a farmers league. Winning the Cup Winners Cup puts Aberdeen up there with Mechelen, Dynamo Tiblisi and MTK Hungaria. SAF turned into the greatest ever, but he didn’t arrive as that. Maybe the same will happen with Solskjaer.
On Phil Jones in 2021....

I honestly feel that Utd won’t get near the Title unless he has a run in the team. He makes the difference.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thi
Oh give over... Let's disregard his constant fawning over how amazing Citeh are and that around 90% of his posts mention, or are directly about Citeh, let's just look at the constant massive fecking wind up the bloke's embarked upon ever since he joined the forum. Unless all of the following are genuine views by the same poster :eek:

On SAF's achievements with Aberdeen and how Ole may still now turn into the greatest ever if we just stick with him...

I think you may have missed something. :lol:

Womp

idiot

:lol: Fair play to the bloke though, most WUMs are just boring, old mate is actually quite funny

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Winning the Scottish league was as unremarkable then as it is now. I know that SAF did it with Aberdeen, but it was still a farmers league. Winning the Cup Winners Cup puts Aberdeen up there with Mechelen, Dynamo Tiblisi and MTK Hungaria. SAF turned into the greatest ever, but he didn’t arrive as that. Maybe the same will happen with Solskjaer.
Not true. Ferguson was already a phenomenon before joining us unlike Ole. Three Scottish titles—with Aberdeen, not Celtic or Rangers who had already won European cups. When he first broke the duopoly in 1979/80, it had been 15 years since the Scottish champions had come from outside of Glasgow.

When he led his side to back-to-back league titles in 1983/84 and 1984/85, it was the first time anyone from outside of the Old Firm had retained the trophy since Hibernian in 1951/52. He won the Scottish Cup four times and, guided Aberdeen to the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup in 1982-83, beating Real Madrid in the final.
Ferguson’s unprecedented achievements at Aberdeen led to managerial offers from some of the most prestigious clubs in Europe before he signed for United . Who the feck wanted Ole before he joined for us.

Last edited:
:lol: Fair play to the bloke though, most WUMs are just boring, old mate is actually quite funny
And he’s decent at chatting just enough about United for some to consider it. But feck me, win a title with the “warrior” Phil Jones, bring in Sean Dyche as gaffer :lol:
He knows what buttons to subtly push.

His only real problem is he can’t hide his love for Citeh, otherwise he’d be near perfect on the wumometer.