Why so many knee-jerk reactions and negativity 7 games in?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Lately without even 10 games played yet (In the PL), there is so much negativity and pessimism on the forum?

Like it's almost as if you'd think we're in a relegation battle, even after finishing 2nd last year, and yes I've heard all the excuses as to why we finished 2nd and why it was nothing to do with Ole or the players and in fact more to do with the teams around us. I mean we deserve some credit can't make up excuses for every single positive thing that United do. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of talk and dislike towards the manager. Now more than ever it seems as I'm perplexed as to why? Why now of all times, why right this moment?

We're not in free fall by any means and yet the feeling around the fans on here anyway is that we're in some sort of disaster mode. Even news that Phelan, Carrick, McKenna are getting new contracts somehow comes back to Ole and fake, patronising praise for the club.

The season has just begun and I'll say it again, people are getting really upset to the point where from the outside looking in, looking at people's reactions to news, it seems as though we're flirting with the bottom 3.

It's the international break too, which doesn't help things either.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Cue incoming negativity and knee jerk entitled opinions...

Jericho

Because it’s not just 7 games in, it’s years.

Robboadam31

If we didn’t have the international break, everyone would just move to the next match.

The break gives people time to reflect and voice their opinions.

Abraxas

I am not feeling as negative as the majority it seems, however I would add that it's not just 7 games. I think it's the context of those games in terms of who we played and the performance levels. That creates a definite sense of dread ahead of a highly demanding set of fixtures. If we don't improve substantially over the coming weeks we could be out of the game and that is a hugely disappointing prospect.

Dan_F

I would assume it’s mainly because of the run of games we have coming up, with little to suggest that things are going to click in place in time for us to be properly competitive. If it was reversed and we had this points total after playing Liverpool, City, Chelsea (not to mention the others in this upcoming run) then we’d be talking about a title challenge right now.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Lately without even 10 games played yet (In the PL), there is so much negativity and pessimism on the forum?

Like it's almost as if you'd think we're in a relegation battle, even after finishing 2nd last year, and yes I've heard all the excuses as to why we finished 2nd and why it was nothing to do with Ole or the players and in fact more to do with the teams around us. I mean we deserve some credit can't make up excuses for every single positive thing that United do. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of talk and dislike towards the manager. Now more than ever it seems as I'm perplexed as to why? Why now of all times, why right this moment?

We're not in free fall by any means and yet the feeling around the fans on here anyway is that we're in some sort of disaster mode. Even news that Phelan, Carrick, McKenna are getting new contracts somehow comes back to Ole and fake, patronising praise for the club.

The season has just begun and I'll say it again, people are getting really upset to the point where from the outside looking in, looking at people's reactions to news, it seems as though we're flirting with the bottom 3.

Not just seven games. Last 9 games of last season = 3 wins, 2 draws and 4 losses. We've just continued that form with an even better squad.

We've been lucky to snatch the win/draw in games this season against Wolves, West Ham, Villarreal & Everton. The only games we've won and thoroughly deserved it are Newcastle (was actually on a knife edge at one point but...4-1) and Leeds.

People have seen these issues for years. They accepted we had weaknesses and needed better players, but just couldn't see what Solskjaer brought to the table on match day. That has continued till this day, after spending huge amounts of money and having the best, or one of the best, teams in the league. Even City can't boast the goalscorers we have available now. Chelsea don't have the match winners we have in attack. Liverpool don't have the likes of Sancho, Ronaldo, Cavani etc on the bench. This season has basically proven so far what people have said for years. In my opinion we should have been better in attack last season than we are now, the way we struggled to break teams down at times last season was a bit of a joke and thats before we added Ronaldo, Sancho and Lingard (on the back of a good 6 months where he practically outscored even all of our players over the same period).

We've got it so good, had a massively easier start to the season and yet we're still behind. Going into a period where we are guaranteed to drop more points pretty much.

fergieisold

People just want instant fixes/success. This season could turn out to be a success, but if seemingly the majority on here controlled the club we'd never get the chance to play it out.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
He rested key players before an international break again! Its almost as if hes more bothered those players are fit for their NTs than using them in a match that we should be going all out to win to keep pace with the teams at the top.
Far too many fans want to make apologies for the manager whos clearly not up to the job.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I know what you mean OP and i would previously have agreed with you, however it feels deeper than just 7 games to me. I thought last season was a good outcome and we performed reasonably well on the whole (lots disagree with that), we also then had an excellent summer and invested well and so i was expecting us to build on last season.

We have started the season very poorly in my view, and dont look like a well oiled machine or well drilled at all. We are lucky to have as many points on the board as we do, and we owe a lot of that to De Gea for seemingly rediscovering his world class form, and are already out one of cup.

That says to me Ole has taken us as far as he can, i personally am pleased with the job he has done up to this point, but it does feel as though he's hit his ceiling and the club have given him the tools to deliver (both in time and investment). I think it would be a big move for the club to remove Ole now after only 7 games and dont expect them to either, however i expect us to continue to decline in the coming weeks and suspect we'll see some more poor results.

I have said elsewhere that i do expect the club to act fairly soon and i dont think it will drag on if performances and results dont improve, despite what others believe (finance people in charge etc), we're not run by fools and the level of investment the club has committed this season is significant.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Isn't there a 'last 20 games' thread?

Hell, we could discuss the past few years.

Karlos PFC

Most of us didn't want him here in the first place.

We were told to be patient until the "rebuild" was finished, and then judge him.

3 years down the line and we still see this shit on the pitch.

After more than 300m in investing he still hasn't got a clue how to get the best of his players and we keep watching this shit on a stick football week in week out. And this time we are told to wait until it miraculously clicks between them.

dove

People just want instant fixes/success. This season could turn out to be a success, but if seemingly the majority on here controlled the club we'd never get the chance to play it out.
Instant? :lol: It's Ole's 3rd year in case you missed and we are no better than we were despite having a better team. Excuse some of us for expecting to see a functional football team on the pitch rather than being embarrassing to watch most of the time like against Villareal.

fergieisold

Instant? :lol: It's Ole's 3rd year in case you missed and we are no better than we were despite having a better team. Excuse some of us for expecting to see a functional football team on the pitch rather than being embarrassing to watch most of the time like against Villareal.
We've improved hugely since Ole came in. We are currently experiencing a bit of a tough spell where the direction isn't certain.

Withnail

Half the caf seem to have already written off the season already, after 7 games and we've Ole out threads popping up all over the place. I know they have different names but they're all the same thread containing pretty much the same posts.

The start hasn't been great and the team hasn't properly gotten going yet this season but we're still in touching distance and should get out of the CL group.

We'll see in the next 3 - 5 games if the doom and gloom was warranted.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Not knee-jerk at all. I just want to see us play a football match where I dont have to clench my arse cheeks because everytime the opposition attack they look like scoring a goal. This, despite our manager spending nearly half a billion dollars on transfers.

dove

We've improved hugely since Ole came in. We are currently experiencing a bit of a tough spell where the direction isn't certain.
We have not improved hugely, that's one of the biggest problems with his time here.

Nickelodeon

Sorry

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Kids throwing their toys out the pram thinking we should be winning every game now Ronaldo’s back because in their head we won every single game convincingly during the glory days.

GazTheLegend

Isn't that an oxymoron? Does Solskjaer deserve absolutely no credit for improving the squad the way he has? Do Mourinho and van Gaal get away with signing the players THEY did?

I think it's a credit to Solskjaer that he's raised the expectations as much as he has. "Avoiding relegation" was starting to be my main concern after he stripped the squad down for the second season. But perhaps my argument here is that Solskjaer (I'd like to think) has proven himself to be a fantastic potential director of football - the fair criticisms of our tactics and team selections are the things that need to be addressed but I would hope people recognise where our squad is now Vs where we were under Mou is far better. We have a more talented AND younger squad. Ole deserves until the end of the season with it to see what he can do with it. You won't get many arguments from the old Trafford faithful if we fail again (and I think this is the first time I have seen Ole react like he is under pressure, he's well aware I'm sure). Hopefully we succeed.

SAFMUTD

Because 7 games have given us a clear view of what's coming for the rest of the season. Another trophyless season, another wasted year. We don't need to be in the bottom 3 to be pessimist. By watching the team perform, not looking into the results but the performance alone, is clear as water that we are no where near the level of the title challengers.

3 years have past, so anyone expecting we suddenly click and start looking world-class is living in fantasy land. This is it, this is what we can get from Ole and the coaches. This is their ceiling, same old problems for three years, nothing's changed. Same old rollercoaster form and results, good patches followed by absolutely dross ones then rinse and repeat. Ultimately not good enough to win anything remarkable.

For me it's just frustrating that we have wasted, and keep wasting, time with this coaching staff and manager. So the news about them signing longer deals when their current ones were not even expiring soon its just depressing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Because with the squad we have, we should be seriously challenging for the title this year. It's early days results wise but performance wise it is absolutely clear that we are not anywhere close to the 3 best teams in the league. It is clear performance wise that we have in fact not improved at all from last season despite adding 3 world class players. That's a problem. We know that we have a very good squad, so at this point, if Ole can't get us to compete for the title and perform like it, then we should get a manager who will do just that.

Everyone complains about our midfield not being good enough. Well it's pretty blatantly clear that Ole isn't good enough either.

Giggsy13

It's not knee jerk, its reality sinking in that even throwing more money into building the squad may not change the outcomes since our team seemingly lacks an identity despite significant investment in 3 years. As an example, some love to compare the progress of liverpool under Klopp in trying to justify further time for Ole, yet it was clear after a few years what style and tactics Klopp wanted to employ. His team had an identity but needed further investment into a world class CB and GK. We've invested heavily but what are we, a counter attacking team? A team that loves possession but can't do anything with it? We saw individual brilliance on display in the liverpool v. city game but it was within a system that two brilliant managers drill into their players, which further elevates the world class players in their squad. Can anyone honestly say Ole puts his brilliant attacking options in the best position to succeed on a consistent basis? No.

Edit: apart from the Leeds and Newcastle games, we've scored 5 in 5 games despite having the best depth of attacking talent since the Fergie years.

ThinkTank@Cafe

There is a group the caftards who just plainly hate Ole. They were against him from the very beginning of his tenure with United. They looked down on him from day 1. They will not change their stance until Ole wins a major trophy. Or two. They will still whine that he didn’t win a treble.

Then there is a group of people who love Ole because he is Ole. Whatever he does.

The third and the largest group is always in between and reacts to the results.

The fourth is the tiniest group in which people might or might not support Ole. They actually watch the games, use stats to understand players and coaches better, always back their statements with some insight and data, polite and benevolent, and realise that we are all Man United supporters.

RedCafe problem is not Ole outers or Ole inners; the problem is “alpha” posters.

the_cliff

Unfortunately it's not just the last 7 games, I struggle to understand your perspective. Have you not watched us the last year and a half ? Can you not see the same problems in our style of play that have existed since then ? The reason behind peoples pessimism is that we finally have a team capable of challenging on major fronts this season. However, we don't look half as good as the teams we are competing against. We struggled every game this season barring the Leeds and Newcastle games. We played better against Villareal in the final of the Europa league than last week when we had Ronaldo Varane and Sancho. We are a better starting 11 with the exact same problems with our style of play when Ole first came in and we had a terrible starting 11. The only difference is we have better players and individual quality that help us win those 50/50 games. As a team and system watch Liverpool, City and Chelsea we are lightyears behind. I don't think anyone (even the biggest Ole fans) can say we're going to be challenging for the league this season after watching us over the last 10-15 games.

A huge % of the online fans have are so impatient and irrational it's getting hard and harder to bother with Redcafe.

7 games in people on here have decided the season is a write off, Sancho is shit and Varane is past it. You can't talk to someone with that mind set.

dirkey

It's so simplistic to say it's just 7 games though. It's not. It's repeated patterns. And, obviously I don't mean of play, because we all know that's not the case.

What's his calling card? It's .. McFred. Week in, week out. Better players on the bench. People say we get walked through midfield too easily without them. So what? We're still struggling to beat clearly inferior teams. Look at the teams we've played so far this year in the league. We haven't played any of the big teams. And, in general, even in the games we've won, we've struggled mightily.

it's the same mistakes again. He's just not learning. It's clear he's taken us as far as he can. Someone above said to "let it play out". At best, it's clear, if we let it play out, it'll be 1/4s of the CL (I'd be amazed if we make it that far) and a fight to make top 4 in the league. Despite having built up a great team.

He's sucked all the confidence and joy out of VdB. Imagine sitting, week in week out, behind Fred and McTominay. Christ alive.

Now there are signs he's going to do the same with Sancho.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Most people had expected a title challenge. We're nowhere near that level and the position on the table is misleading given the fact that we've avoided big teams. Our play hasn't been very good, with the exception of Leeds. It's given credence to the idea that this as far as Ole will take us. There's a possibility we won't make top 4 or drop out of the CL at this rate. No more progress under OGS :(

Castia

Other than Leeds you could argue we’ve been poor in every game. Newcastle wasn’t bad but for 60 minutes it was pretty equal.

Lucky against Wolves, last minute pen save against West Ham loses to Villa and draws to Southampton and Everton.

Loss to West Ham in the cup and young boys in the CL followed by a last minute win against Villareal.

Really poor start against teams we should be beating

Ixion

Well the opening 10 games to this season all competitions on the back of the last bunch of games last season isn't encouraging.