Why so many knee-jerk reactions and negativity 7 games in?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
What fans dont want to accept is, below standard finishes and performances. Why should we as fans accept 2nd place and EL?
Why shouldn't you accept second place last season? Or you were amongst those under the serious delusion that we were actually equipped to lift the league title last season?

When a club of our finances, support, size should be challenging for the big titles. We haven't challenged for the league or CL since 2013, that is 7 years ago now.
And why do you think that is? You seriously think changing from moyes to Mourinho in less than 5 years without continued singular direction had nothing to do with it?

The question then is, why do fans accept mediocracy?
Who told you they do? Who lied to you that just because they don't agree with your eagerness to panic and moan they lack standards as opposed to you?

The rule on the café seems to be...any topic can be used to bash and moan about the club...which makes you question why the fans follow the club in the first place if all it brings to their lives is misery.
my sentiments exactly. Not only do they piss and moan they insist on calling anyone who doesn't share their miserable views a person championing mediocrity

Last edited:

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
You cannot believe that surely? Do you think United can get better and challenge for titles if we're constantly falling behind and having to come back? It's clear as day that's a dangerous approach because by constantly conceding first you take 0-0 draws and 1-0 wins off the table as well as using a lot of mental energy in every game. Its an under-appreciated point that coming from behind is mentally exhausting, players need the 'simple 2-0' wins at home to almost take a break.
Agree – also, it means we have fewer games where we can make subs to rest players – as we are constantly chasing the game.

romufc

Why shouldn't you accept second place last season? Or you were amongst those under the serious delusion that we were actually equipped to lift the league title last season?
Apologies, I wasnt clear, 2nd last season was good but dropping to the EL ? We may not have been equipped to win the title, but are you that deluded to think that we couldn't challenge for a major trophy? No one thought Chelsea would win CL at the start, they d

And why do you think that is? You seriously think changing from moyes to Mourinho in less than 5 years without continued singular direction had nothing to do with it?
So it takes a manager 3/4 seasons to challenge? To play good football? Tuchel won a trophy and is one of the favourites to win the title in 8 months.

Pep took 1 season to change City and dominate

Klopp after 2/3 season got CL final, consistently playing good football.

Only United fans think it takes more than 4 years with no sign of improvement ? We are no better than we were 5 years ago. In terms of results and performances.

Who told you they do? Who lied to you that just because they don't agree with your eagerness to panic and moan they lack standards as opposed to you?
Eagerness to panic and moan? Ole has been in charge for 3 seasons now, has he looked like he will win the PL? No.

He cant even get out the CL group stages mate. That is clear lack of standards when we have the highest wage bill, highest net transfer spend and cannot even get out a CL groups. Let alone challenging for the title.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The league table doesn't lie. So the claim 'we didn't play like a second place team" is just confirmation bias for people's already existing dislike of Ole. Not reality. Because the notion that we spent all season playing badly is over the top hyperbole at its worst
You're right . The table doesn't lie but the last time a team finished second with 74 points in the last decade was Arsenal in 2016 which I think we can all agree was a very strange season indeed as Leicester won the league. There are anomalies seasons like the one I just mentioned. Last season was one of the strangest of all with the pandemic. Yes we came second and credit to Ole and no we didn't play badly all season but we were a million miles from the sort of form Liverpool showed when they finished second to City a get seasons ago. Context does matter.

Do you think we'll finish above Pep, Klopp or Tutchel this season after finishing second last season and with the acquisitions we've made?

What is very strange is this claim 'we didn't dominate to second"

top 5 away records epl 2020-2021

Only City the champions had a better record. Since they gained 2 more points, conceded one less beating our GD by 6. Everyone else was poor in comparison

If anything its our shocking home form. Especially against cannon fodder that killed us. We were worse than Liverpool who were truly awful all year

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
What is very strange is this claim 'we didn't dominate to second"

top 5 away records epl 2020-2021

Only City the champions had a better record. Since they gained 2 more points, conceded one less beating our GD by 6. Everyone else was poor in comparison

If anything its our shocking home form. Especially against cannon fodder that killed us. We were worse than Liverpool who were truly awful all year
There were no crowds last year.Liverpool had been virtually invincible at home prior to last year.I think it’s reasonable to think the lack of fans had a lot to do with their dismal home form last year.

Apologies, I wasnt clear, 2nd last season was good but dropping to the EL ? We may not have been equipped to win the title, but are you that deluded to think that we couldn't challenge for a major trophy?
So losing a European final on penalties that went to 19-20 doesn't count as challenging in your book?

Talk of actual delusion.....

No one thought Chelsea would win CL at the start, they d
No one thought they could at the start because they had Lampard as a coach. No one in their right minds thought they lacked the personnel equipment.

In comparison no one serious believed Manchester United were equipped personnel wise to win the league or the UCL.

They lost the semi final of the league cup to the better team. The team that also finished above them in the league

The Fa cup was another example of not having the equipment to win. Because rotation had to be made vs a motivated anf fullstrength Leicester because bigger fish hard to be fried. Like making the Europa final

So it takes a manager 3/4 seasons to challenge?
With a team that was badly imbalanced as ours when the current boss took the seat, coupled with a master dilly dallier in the transfer market like Woodward, poor at both selling and recruiting in time, most definitely

To play good football?
The idea we don't play good football is myth perpetuated by people who just don't rate Ole. Its not based on actually reality

Tuchel won a trophy and is one of the favourites to win the title in 8 months.
So? He didn't take over an imbalanced squad nor a team need of a rebuild. A Guardiola who did take over a side in need of some panel beating had to still lose a whole year before he could start winning.

Yet the likew of you expect Ole, who doesn't even have half the cv of either, to have transformed the mess we were when he took over, with the added burden of woodward, into challengers both in the league and the ucl with in 8 months'. Talk of delusions.....

Pep took 1 season to change City and dominate
First The City he took over were NOT as badly off as the United Ole took over. the comparison is fallacious.
Second, even with his outstanding cv and the better balanced City he found as compared to the United Ole found, it till took him a whole season to right the ship.
Klopp after 2/3 season got CL final, consistently playing good football.
So? Brendan Rodgers didn't leave him with a right mess to clean up.

Only United fans think it takes more than 4 years with no sign of improvement ?
Rather deluded and willfully miserable fans like yourself are the ones who believe in that

Because if you truly beelive this nonsense below":
We are no better than we were 5 years ago. In terms of results and performances.
Plus can't see how Manchester United is actually better off and stronger than how Solsjaer found it, and will leave it, there is no point debating with you any further

Eagerness to panic and moan? Ole has been in charge for 3 seasons now, has he looked like he will win the PL? No.
Classic panic and moaning. Thanks for proving my point....

He cant even get out the CL group stages mate.
Sure. Because being knocked out in the group of death last time out counts as future prophecy....

There were no crowds last year.Liverpool had been virtually invincible at home prior to last year.I think it’s reasonable to think the lack of fans had a lot to do with their dismal home form last year.
No one is knocking Pool for their form. It was simply being pointed out that with all the problems they had (injuries, no crowds) our home form was STILL worse than theirs. Not our away form. Meaning our away from is actually what secured us second place and as per the records, its utter garbage to claim we did not dominate our way to second place

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Don't follow. Don't see any link between Liverpools amazing performance that season and our second place finish.
I’ll try one last time. The point was made that we don’t dominate games, our performances are poor and we won’t win the league or anything else because of it.
I pointed out that you don’t necessarily need to dominate individual games to put a run together and win the league. I (regrettably) used Liverpool as an example. There was no link or comparison attempted.

Flytan

So losing a European final on penalties that went to 19-20 doesn't count as challenging in your book?

No one thought they could at the start because they had Lampard as a coach. No one in their right minds thought they lacked the personnel equipment.

In comparison no one serious believed Manchester United were equipped personnel wise to win the league or the UCL.

They lost the semi final of the league cup to the better team. The team that also finished above them in the league

The Fa cup was another example of not having the equipment to win. Because rotation had to be made vs a motivated anf fullstrength Leicester because bigger fish hard to be fried. Like making the Europa final

With a team that was badly imbalanced as ours when the current boss took the seat, coupled with a master dilly dallier in the transfer market like Woodward, poor at both selling and recruiting in time, most definitely

The idea we don't play good football is myth perpetuated by people who just don't rate Ole. Its not based on actually reality

So? He didn't take over an imbalanced squad nor a team need of a rebuild. A Guardiola who did take over a side in need of some panel beating had to still lose a whole year before he could start winning.

Yet the likew of you expect Ole, who doesn't even have half the cv of either, to have transformed the mess we were when he took over, with the added burden of woodward, into challengers both in the league and the ucl with in 8 months'. Talk of delusions.....

First The City he took over were NOT as badly off as the United Ole took over. the comparison is fallacious.
Second, even with his outstanding cv and the better balanced City he found as compared to the United Ole found, it till took him a whole season to right the ship.

Rather deluded and willfully miserable fans like yourself are the ones who believe in that

Plus can't see how Manchester United is actually better off and stronger than how Solsjaer found it, and will leave it, there is no point debating with you any further

Sure. Because being knocked out in the group of death last time out counts as future prophecy....
Do you watch the team play or just cheer for Ole during the games?

Do you watch the team play or just cheer for Ole during the games?
Do you actually actually watch our game's with eyes or you use braile? Because of if you seriously think you have watched football worse than what Moyes, Mourinho and Van gaal produced the last 3 seasons, consistently you must actually be blind.

b82REZ

Accuses others of confirmation bias and then posts this drivel.

By every measurable metric Ole is performing almost identically to Jose.

Sure the mood around the club seems better but this is a fecking football club, not a Boys Brigade. His signings have been better, but I feel that was inevitable after we had a change in policy after we realised giving managers full reign wasn't working. I think our signings will continue be better from hereonin as a result of decisions the club made during Jose's last summer.

When it comes to the important stuff like points, goals scored, conceded, silverware we're no better off or the margins are so small the change is negligible.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

Sure the mood around the club seems better but this is a fecking football club, not a Boys Brigade. His signings have been better, but I feel that was inevitable after we had a change in policy after we realised giving managers full reign wasn't working. I think our signings will continue be better from hereonin as a result of decisions the club made during Jose's last summer.

When it comes to the important stuff like points, goals scored, conceded, silverware we're no better off or the margins are so small the change is negligible.
Once again anything positive can’t possibly be Oles doing, somebody or something else must take the credit but any negative, he’s the manager so it must be his fault right? I swear the guy can’t win and the only reason why is because he went to Molde and Cardiff rather than instantly managing a elite side and is thus deemed not sexy enough to manage United.

b82REZ

Once again anything positive can’t possibly be Oles doing, somebody or something else must take the credit but any negative, he’s the manager so it must be his fault right? I swear the guy can’t win and the only reason why is because he went to Molde and Cardiff rather than instantly managing a elite side and is thus deemed not sexy enough to manage United.
What are you on about?

I credit him with a lot of good, but I believe the club has changed transfer policy, not Ole. There were numerous reports of this before he was made permanent.

The irony of a person who post that others "post this drivel' while posting this off side garbage

Straw man fallacy. At no point did my post refer to Mourinho's record. Let all alone Mourinho himself.

Last edited:

b82REZ

The irony of a person who post that others "post this drivel while' posting this off side garbage

Straw man fallacy. At no point did my post refer to Mourinho's record. Let all alone Mourinho himself.
Where did I say you did?

That's the reality though. Ole's record is almost identical to Jose, a manager we all agreed wasn't good enough. However now there are sections of our supporter who defend the manager under the guise of progress, when that isn't the case.

I'm not going to argue over whether you feel performances have improved for the "eye test" as that completely subjective. But to my eye there hasn't been much improvement over Jose in that regard. It's infinitely better than LvG for me though.

Flytan

Do you actually actually watch our game's with eyes or you use braile? Because of if you seriously think you have watched football worse than what Moyes, Mourinho and Van gaal produced the last 3 seasons, consistently you must actually be blind.
Van gaal at his worst? Obviously that was worse than ole. The rest? I'd say we are about as clueless as we were with moyes here (makes sense since both he and ole are equally downing) and certainly worse than Jose. Sure Jose parked the bus a few times and ole let's bis players have freedom so it's easier on the eyes, but it's worse football. For anyone with a desire to win, playing football without a plan (ole) is about as bad as it can get

Van gaal at his worst? Obviously that was worse than ole. The rest? I'd say we are about as clueless as we were with moyes here (makes sense since both he and ole are equally downing) and certainly worse than Jose. Sure Jose parked the bus a few times and ole let's bis players have freedom so it's easier on the eyes, but it's worse football. For anyone with a desire to win, playing football without a plan (ole) is about as bad as it can get
Utter drivel. The biggest issue with Ole outers is they prefer to pretend the plan doesn't exist just because they hate the manager's guts. Its utter delusion to believe a manager with no plan would have manager record he has vs the likes of Pochetino, Tuchel, Ancelotti, Klopp and Guardiola. Let alone be able for the likes of Varane and Sancho to desire to play under him. Yet all the money United had couldn't get Moyes to get the like of fabregas to join him. Its really pointless having conversions with your crew

Flytan

Utter drivel. The biggest issue with Ole outers is they prefer to pretend the plan doesn't exist just because they hate the manager's guts. Its utter delusion to believe a manager with no plan would have manager record he has vs the likes of Pochetino, Tuchel, Ancelotti, Klopp and Guardiola. Let alone be able for the likes of Varane and Sancho to desire to play under him. Yet all the money United had couldn't get Moyes to get the like of fabregas to join him. Its really pointless having conversions with your crew
Yes, any dissenting opinions are drivel but any opinions you have are gospel. It's absolutely hilarious to me you claim to watch our games and think there's a coherent plan. I'd argue there's few people in world football who know less than people who see ole as anything more than a good interim manager.

Also no one hates his guts. That's just "drivel" spouted by ole inners such as yourself. To deflect any responsibility he has

Also, congrats we are able to convince varane to. Congrats, if you read the reports it was fletcher and the board who proposed a coherent plan, not ole. So again not sure why you are giving him any credit. If he was sacked today there wouldn't be a single player except maybe mcfred who would ask to leave the club without giving the new manager a chance.

Last edited:

USREDEVIL

Yes, any dissenting opinions are drivel but any opinions you have are gospel. It's absolutely hilarious to me you claim to watch our games and think there's a coherent plan. I'd argue there's few people in world football who know less than people who see ole as anything more than a good interim manager.

Also no one hates his guts. That's just "drivel" spouted by ole inners such as yourself. To deflect any responsibility he has

Also, congrats we are able to convince varane to. Come, if you read the reports it was fletcher and the board who proposed a coherent plan, not ole.. So again not sure why you are giving him any credit. If he was sacked today there wouldn't be a single player except maybe mcfred who would ask to leave the club without giving the new manager a chance
Looks like this has gone "political" with Ole "inners" and Ole "outers." Let's not.

George the Cat

It's been 10 years
Maths isn’t your strong point is it, it’s not mine either but even I know it’s 8 years. Theres the rub though, a lot of us are old enough to remember 20 years of unprecedented success.
Ole isn’t good enough I’m afraid and I still think we can compete with a top quality coach.

jamesjimmybyrondean

These three are not the standard at all. The standard is Klopp and Pep as those are the two that have won the league in the last few seasons. The reason some can't see us challenging is because the quality of our style of play is not up to the quality of style of play that has been challenging in the past few years. Or do you disagree?

stw2022

I don't see anything in Ole's football because I don't think there's anything to see. He allows players to play with a freedom that other managers didn't but that only works if there's a solid tactical grounding that works as a basis to allow players to play with freedom. You can't have 'Go out and enjoy yourself lads' as the beginning, middle and end of your tactical approach. To that end, even though we may at times look decent we're probably tactically we're the worst we've been post-Fergie. At least Moyes with his 806 crosses against Fulham that time had a tactic.

I'm convinced Ole hasn't a clue how to set up a side. I think he knows what he wants it to look like (the 1999 team) but he's got no more clue than probably most people on this board as to how to implement it. I'd honestly sooner be managed by Kevin Keegan. At least tactical naivety would be accompanied by blind optimism and not a double pivot.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I don't see anything in Ole's football because I don't think there's anything to see. He allows players to play with a freedom that other managers didn't but that only works if there's a solid tactical grounding that works as a basis to allow players to play with freedom. You can't have 'Go out and enjoy yourself lads' as the beginning, middle and end of your tactical approach. To that end, even though we may at times look decent we're probably tactically we're the worst we've been post-Fergie. At least Moyes with his 806 crosses against Fulham that time had a tactic.

I'm convinced Ole hasn't a clue how to set up a side. I think he knows what he wants it to look like (the 1999 team) but he's got no more clue than probably most people on this board as to how to implement it. I'd honestly sooner be managed by Kevin Keegan. At least tactical naivety would be accompanied by blind optimism and not a double pivot.
Yep.

wolvored

Why even Ole said the same thing, 'Wait until we get the home crowd behind us...' Oh wait

Womp

idiot
No, the reason is he hasn't won a trophy himself in 7 years, his only other stint in the top leagues resulted in relegation and he has had more than enough investment and time and we still play extremely average football despite having one of the best squads on the planet.

It's really not that difficult. He has no history of implementing great, progressive football, he has no history of winning silverware consistently - whilst also considering the fact that he hasn't shown the ability to implement a style of play that is required to do those things here too. There is literally nothing to really put your faith in, except the fact that it's Ole.

Our football is dull, slow and far too often ineffective. He's had more time than any other manager post SAF and is the only one of them bar Moyes (who wasn't able to even finish the season), who hasn't won a trophy - despite spending more than them all. We are consistently finishing on points that will have us 3rd-4th most seasons.

I'm genuinely curious - what exactly about Ole gives you hope that he is the right guy? It's baffling to me, there could not be more signs to me that he's simply not good enough.

cyril C

The simple fact that ONLY the 1st game was a comfortable win. Rest of the wins, either at the dying minutes, or went through a terrible 1st half. I accept win and loss as part of the game, but inconsistency remains, which has been haunting us for years.

ReallyUSA

Maths isn’t your strong point is it, it’s not mine either but even I know it’s 8 years. Theres the rub though, a lot of us are old enough to remember 20 years of unprecedented success.
Ole isn’t good enough I’m afraid and I still think we can compete with a top quality coach.
Semantics you newb.

JG3001

Yet another typically twisted narrative, it’s not 7 games he’s being judged on, we’re at circa 160.

Still go into the vast majority of games without the confidence to say it’s a gimme, pretty much every game is played on a knife edge, just depends which way we fall on the day.

Doesn’t know how to get the best out of this team. Still square pegs, round holes, favouritism amongst underperforming players. I’ve seen enough to form my opinion, he won’t take us back to the top so why waste any more time? Ironically, I think the Ronaldo signing will be his end, then we can all finally move on.

shahzy

You don't win an award for being a deluded top red you know

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Context of our opening fixtures is important too. We've had a really favourable opening set of fixtures and struggled. In both Europe and the league.

All our rivals have had to play each other and they're still around/ahead of us. That's a big worry for a squad that - on paper - ought to be challenging for major titles now.

romufc

EUROPA LEAGUE... Getting to the Final of the Europa does not count as a Major Honour. Again, proof of lowering standards when fans think getting Europa League final means challenging top honours.

Exactly, Chelsea got a better coach and in a 7 months are title favourites and won a CL. Example of what a better manager can do. Fully motivated Leicester? Does that mean our manager has trouble motivating players in a FA CUP?

So in your opinion we play good football? we play good football like 1 in 10 games.

Exactly my point, why should we have someone with the CV of Ole? I didn't say 8 months, its been 3 years actually, this is the 4th. Case of lowering standards again, we should expect this club to have a top coach not someone who has excuses galore.

Fine, ole found United unbalanced, 4 years on, the United team is just as unbalanced, Pep took 1 year to dominate English football, Ole can't even dominate against lower table teams, in 4 years. More sign of lowering standards.

1st season got EL Final, 4 years on he had a CL and PL title, 4 years on Ole is still battling top 4 and EL.

4 years ago, we played defensive tactics against the big teams, couldnt dominate games. 4 years later, we play defensive football. We concede more goals than we did, what's the improvement? The only thing I give Ole is he has made the dressing room a better place. off the pitch hes done well, on the pitch, a failure.

I agree, Ole will leave the squad in a better place, I thank him for that, but its time for someone to take over and try win things.

Classic panic and moaning. Thanks for proving my point...
Panic? Mate its been 4 seasons without a trophy, that is patience not panic. How can we not expect a manager to win us trophies after hes been here 4 years?

Sure. Because being knocked out in the group of death last time out counts as future prophecy.
Lets see this season.

youmeletsfly

Isn't this the narrative since SAF left? We spent 1 billion since SAF left and you want us each season to expect 2nd place and EL because we're "not equipped to lift the league? Who's fault is we're "not equipped to win the league" after spending shitloads of money each year?

It does not matter the team is equipped or qualified to win the league, given the money invested, supporters are entitled to want consistent progress, proportional with the investments.

Delusional is not having unrealistic expectations as a fan, delusional is hiring the wrong managers and hoping, somehow, they'll suddenly turn into god damn gold once they get to Old Trafford.