Why so many knee-jerk reactions and negativity 7 games in?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He shouldn’t be sacked after that, Leicester are a good side, but questions should be asked now.

Give him till January, but even then it may be too late.

Questions should be asked about coaching/tactics, can we get better coaches in to help out.

Ronaldo, Pogba are going to be asking these questions, so I expect the board will too
Ok. You are fecking with us now, right? :lol:

Son

Only our club compares Ole to Fergie hahaha. It's like comparing coal to a diamond. Sure it's made of the same stuff but one is worth more than it's weight in gold.

AndySmith1990

As a team we haven’t progressed but we have a better squad. Is that not a touch contradictory? We’re either better or we are not, and we are so that’s progress.
It's so boring to keep reading that we have a better squad (on paper), when our team is no better. Seems a lot of people don't grasp the concept of a team and simply judge the progress of Ole's reign thus far based on the collective ratings of each player based on FIFA.

If anything it's actually more of a damning reflection on Ole's tenure to say we have a great squad, when he's failing to translate all of that quality in to performances that come anywhere near to the standard we should expect. If we're judging purely based on quality of the squad on paper then fair play to Jose for winning trophies and amassing our largest points tally post-Ferguson.

Chairman Steve

I’d like to make a correlation between Manchester United with Champions League football and any middling to lower Premier League team and Premier League football. For this example I’ll say Crystal Palace.

Manchester United‘s minimum requirements most seasons are Champions League qualification
Crystal Palace’s minimum requirements most seasons are staying in the Premier League.
For both teams, not achieving these minimum requirements has negative consequences financially and the season would be deemed a failure.

If Palace are in danger even early on, they’ll be looking for a new manager and the majority of football fans will understand that as it is the nature of the beast essentially.

So why is when United are in danger early on of not reaching their minimum requirements, then people say we should keep faith and hope for the best? Can you imagine Palace being in the bottom 3 and hearing their fans say “We should keep the manager. He’ll turn it around”? Feck no, they’ll be saying “New manager ASAP before the season is a bust” and everyone would agree with that.

Jacob

I really dislike the idea of giving somebody time until date X or Y. No, see how it develops as we go and take it from there.

If we were to loose the next five games before the start of December, I sure as hell wouldn't want to wait until January.

Revan

Assumptionman
It was a legit red card, Nani studded a guy while jumping. At the time Real were not one of the best teams.
They really were. They were defending champions of La Liga (top league in the world back then) and had reached UCL semis the previous two seasons, as they did that season (though finished second in La Liga). They won UCL the following season.

They were right there with Barcelona, Bayern, Dortmund and us as the best teams in the world.

He wouldn't be better than either. SAF struggled before he retired.
This an extremely, extremely strange take.

Ferguson won the CL and reached two other finals in his last 6 seasons as a manager. In the other 3, he went out in the groups once - sure, that was a poor campaign - and was knocked out by Bayern, and Madrid (The 2012 Spanish champions and 2014 European Champions, since I see you're also trying to argue they weren't a top team in 2013).

In that time, he also won 4 out of 6 league titles. In the other 2 seasons, he finished second by a point and goal difference.

I wouldn't mind having that kind of struggle back.

Last edited:

Stacks

As a team we haven’t progressed but we have a better squad. Is that not a touch contradictory? We’re either better or we are not, and we are so that’s progress.
Nah because its a results business not "collect nice players" business. I can come 4th then buy lots of better shiny players and actually perform worse. How is that progress? I tend to look at progress as a clubs results as well as "standing in football". IMO we are no better off. Still just hoping to make top 4. Progress is Liverpool going from CL contender to a 90+ point team who basically gonna win the league again this year.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Nah because its a results business not "collect nice players" business. I can come 4th then buy lots of better shiny players and actually perform worse. How is that progress? I tend to look at progress as a clubs results as well as "standing in football". IMO we are no better off. Still just hoping to make top 4. Progress is Liverpool going from CL contender to a 90+ point team who basically gonna win the league again this year.
When the squad has been dismantled and filled with warm bodies you have to collect nice players before you can win. Olé has his squad, now he has to win. He deserves a shot at it.

Stacks

When the squad has been dismantled and filled with warm bodies you have to collect nice players before you can win. Olé has his squad, now he has to win. He deserves a shot at it.
You are not really saying much. He hasn't really dismanted anything. Some of his most trusted soldiers are players that were already there when he came. . Also how did Jose win silverware in his 1st season and Tuchel? Also what is a shot? another 2-3 seasons? 3.5 seasons of building then 2-3 seasons of giving it a good go. Sir Alex reincarnate.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
We are now a nostalgia performance peice, wished into existence after the trauma of Moyes & Mourinho

Red00012

If it was only 7 games in we had issues looks we will be hitting double figures

Giggsyking

Lately without even 10 games played yet (In the PL), there is so much negativity and pessimism on the forum?

Like it's almost as if you'd think we're in a relegation battle, even after finishing 2nd last year, and yes I've heard all the excuses as to why we finished 2nd and why it was nothing to do with Ole or the players and in fact more to do with the teams around us. I mean we deserve some credit can't make up excuses for every single positive thing that United do. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of talk and dislike towards the manager. Now more than ever it seems as I'm perplexed as to why? Why now of all times, why right this moment?

We're not in free fall by any means and yet the feeling around the fans on here anyway is that we're in some sort of disaster mode. Even news that Phelan, Carrick, McKenna are getting new contracts somehow comes back to Ole and fake, patronising praise for the club.

The season has just begun and I'll say it again, people are getting really upset to the point where from the outside looking in, looking at people's reactions to news, it seems as though we're flirting with the bottom 3.

It's the international break too, which doesn't help things either.
Those who understand simple football tactics by looking at the type of football (not blindly watching the score) know we were in disaster mode.

tjb

We are now a nostalgia performance peice, wished into existence after the trauma of Moyes & Mourinho
We have that way. I would argue that we are far too patient with our managers and our standards have dropped significantly. We finished in the top 3 for 20 plus years, all of a sudden a decent season is top 4.

Truth is, it made sense to drop those standards when Ole came in because we had to rebuild our squad and culture. However, we aren't rebuilding anymore. This team is good enough to win and compete for titles. Midfield or no midfield, this is a team most teams would beg to have. We are on the brink of dropping out of our two main competitions for another season; this should never happen with a squad this good. We have high wages, we spend big money, we need to start expecting big results. This isn't last season's United. This one has far more expectation.

432JuanMata

If we do end up losing tonight it’s 5 loses in 8 games with just 2 wins. Them 2 wins is a 96th min goal against Villarreal and a 95th penalty save against West Ham

dove

If it’s “knee-jerk reactions” every single week, is it really knee-jerk? We are shite, anyone still supporting Ole clearly has some inner hate for United they probably don’t even realise.

Ralph1386

OP. The next time you make a thread, think about it a bit. Have a cup o tea and think again, a bit. FFS
He should have checked the definition of knee-jerk in the dictionary before starting a thread about it

wise_old_man

Lately without even 10 games played yet (In the PL), there is so much negativity and pessimism on the forum?

Like it's almost as if you'd think we're in a relegation battle, even after finishing 2nd last year, and yes I've heard all the excuses as to why we finished 2nd and why it was nothing to do with Ole or the players and in fact more to do with the teams around us. I mean we deserve some credit can't make up excuses for every single positive thing that United do. Anyway, there seems to be a lot of talk and dislike towards the manager. Now more than ever it seems as I'm perplexed as to why? Why now of all times, why right this moment?

We're not in free fall by any means and yet the feeling around the fans on here anyway is that we're in some sort of disaster mode. Even news that Phelan, Carrick, McKenna are getting new contracts somehow comes back to Ole and fake, patronising praise for the club.

The season has just begun and I'll say it again, people are getting really upset to the point where from the outside looking in, looking at people's reactions to news, it seems as though we're flirting with the bottom 3.

It's the international break too, which doesn't help things either.
You underestimate the feelings of those fans who have watched the team closely these last 3 years. That's why your thread got a lot of sticks.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Could’ve guessed this may have bit me in the ass….ahwell, you stand up and admit when you were wrong when you were wrong

wise_old_man

Could’ve guessed this may have bit me in the ass….ahwell, you stand up and admit when you were wrong when you were wrong
It's okay to to have different opinions. The issue is your opening post has a holier-than-thou attitude, looking down on the others for "daring to be worried". If it's only a thread with a positive outlook, people wouldn't have reacted that strongly.

Redlyn

Stop being negative guys. Look at the positives. We only conceeded 1 in the second half while down to 10. Progress.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
It's okay to to have different opinions. The issue is your opening post has a holier-than-thou attitude, looking down on the others for "daring to be worried". If it's only a thread with a positive outlook, people wouldn't have reacted that strongly.
Promote this guy.