Why take Fred off?

Zoo

If he finishes the game we most likely get out of there with a point.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why does the manager do a lot of things he shouldn’t?

AaronRedDevil

Because he was shite. But Matic is much worse. Feck the summer, we need a midfielder in January.

arnie_ni

Dreadful sub and Dreadful squad management that we don't have an actual midfielder to play in midfield.

luke511

He has a bad habit of making subs that disrupt the shape in the last minutes of the game when holding onto a result, not surprised at all. What's the point having Lingard playing Fred's position for the last 5 minutes?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Tried to win it didn't we. In our DNA.

Fooza

Ole is genuinely confused and does not know how to react, hence the bizarre subs. It was like a rollercoaster, some subs were suggesting we going all out defending, then later on we going to go attack?

It just made zero sense. I won't be surprised if the team got confused too

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He was fecked. I'm sure we'll all pretend he wasn't though.

arnie_ni

He was absolutely gassed, it wasn’t tactical ffs.
He was gassed because ole decided to play 5 at the back instead of strengthening midfield at half time, leaving Fred to do the work off about 4 players.

Matic should have been the the half time sub.

RUCK4444

He was gassed because ole decided to play 5 at the back instead of strengthening midfield at half time, leaving Fred to do the work off about 4 players.

Matic should have been the the half time sub.
It’s easy to say that now, none of it is relevant to Jesse fecking Lingard passing the ball as weakly as you like directly to one of their forwards.

We were in control and their only chances were shots from outside of the box, we lost because of Jesse doing what he did, not because Fred came off.

Eddy_Fung

It’s easy to say that now, none of it is relevant to Jesse fecking Lingard passing the ball as weakly as you like directly to one of their forwards.

We were in control and their only chances were shots from outside of the box, we lost because of Jesse doing what he did, not because Fred came off.
True, but Lingard was in that position because Ole took Fred off for Martial and has to get Lingard to get back to play Fred's position.

ChaddyP

why go to a back 5 and abosolutely give up all hope of retaining possession, why take off our only goal threat , why take off donny, why not greenwood? why why why why why

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Most of the posters in the match thread were clamouring for him to be hooked. Ole couldn’t win with this one. The weirdest one by far was sending Lingard on.

Tyrion

Ole is genuinely confused and does not know how to react, hence the bizarre subs. It was like a rollercoaster, some subs were suggesting we going all out defending, then later on we going to go attack?

It just made zero sense. I won't be surprised if the team got confused too
I don't think it's a massive problem if the manager goes defensive when the opposition outplays us and then sees the match quiet down and think we can win the game. I'm more bothered by the 3 centre backs. That basically meant we had 3 players outside of defence and just let them run at us.

rooney2009

Because he was shite. But Matic is much worse. Feck the summer, we need a midfielder in January.
He was our best player by a mile
Even if he was tired, he should have brought Eric on and preserved the point
Ole has to step up in this tight games

Tyrion

Most of the posters in the match thread were clamouring for him to be hooked. Ole couldn’t win with this one. The weirdest one by far was sending Lingard on.
I'm watching this on Irish TV and they're complaining he wasn't subbed earlier because it was "one way traffic". I think they're ignoring that it was one way traffic before and after he went off. I think he did better than Lingard and Martial imo.

kps88

There were 2 minutes of normal time left.
Plus another five of stoppage time. We don't know if he was completely done or not. Bringing Martial on for him though was very questionable.

MrSingh2002

He acted like we were 10 men vs Bayern Munich.

Shocking that he couldn't come up with a gameplay to retain some sort of control vs Young Boys.

CM10

Honestly I think we should've looked to get more players up the pitch earlier, and Fred looked shattered coming off anyway. It wouldn't have been an issue if Lingard doesn't make that pass.

The problem is how it fell apart before that - we shouldn't be ceding possession in the manner we did to Young Boys. When you compared how Chelsea managed the Liverpool game with 10 men vs us tonight, it's embarrassing.

r1z3mu

Positives -
On paper we look good (and against Newcastle too).
CR7 scored.
I hope it gets better.

Negatives
AWB - typical game from him where his football IQ (or lack of) was on display.
VDB - typical game from him too - looks lost.
Sancho - still waiting to see £73m player.
Ole - typical game from him - usual mismanagement of subs.

Dominos

It was one of those "let's make a sub for the sake of making a sub" subs.

I'm not having that he was so tired he needed to come off so we could put Lingard in midfield to see out the game... What was going to happen, Fred collapses on the pitch through exhaustion? There was 1 minute of normal time left to play, just let him see out the game.

432JuanMata

First problem after half time, leaving Fred in CM on his own. We couldn’t keep possession due too it.
Second problem taking him off for what reason I can think of is too just make a sub

RetroStu

Ironically i thought he looked pretty good second half, well by Freds standards that is.

hobbers

Just another abysmal in-game management decision. I'd understand taking him off (if he was tired or carrying a knock) with 20 minutes to go.. but 2?!

He's in the rhythm of the game and has played very well, by his standards. So taking him off is a pointless risk that achieves nothing. Doesn't matter one iota if he's gassed, 2 more minutes won't kill him. Even before you factor in that he was taken off for Martial. So essentially taken off to bring us from 10 men down to to 9. And as a result of that we pushed Lingard in alongside Matic. Because as we know Lingard is famously great at keeping hold of the ball under pressure.

When things don't go our way, especially in Europe, it becomes total amateur hour on the sidelines. It's happened time and time and time again.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It was one of those "let's make a sub for the sake of making a sub" subs.

I'm not having that he was so tired he needed to come off so we could put Lingard in midfield to see out the game... What was going to happen, Fred collapses on the pitch through exhaustion? There was 1 minute of normal time left to play, just let him see out the game.
I agree it was either a time wasting sub or a crazy attempt at trying to nick a goal after being uber defensive for an hour. Putting Martial on for Fred and pushing Lingard back into Fred's position is part of the reason we lost the game. Ole put Lingard in the position to make that "pass"

One of his worst subs ever and it cost him big time.

Tallis

To be fair, a management can’t predict when an International player has a brain fart and plays an assist for the opposition. He probably wanded to waste a little time and get some fresh legs on for a bit