Why the heck #OLEOUT is trending again?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's already proven himself at a higher level than Curtis and Wallwork - he has had some good games against good opposition. Jonny Evans has had a decent career in the PL and Keane that same. In fact LVG actually admitted he was wrong to sell Keane. The latter two could absolutely play for us right now.

It always remains to be seen whether a youngster will achieve their potential, there's so many factors and hurdles to cross. That doesn't mean you just write them off unless they are drastically underachieving. Let's not forget he is also young for a CB. Ole wrecked his confidence after a good game vs PSG by dragging him off against Istanbul when he wasn't really to blame, with no game time in between. Crap management. He should have been given games rather than having to wait another 4 games to get to build on a good performance.
I am not writing him off. However we do tend to overrate our kids. Our patience threshold is far too high on most players really. I mean Phil Jones is on his way to his testimonial match right?

I'd love if we have some sort of structure in place surrounding kids. We should loan them up, have them play 2-3 seasons as first teamers elsewhere and then bring them back if they are good enough.

devilish

Seeing Jonny Evans and Michael Keane playing in the league, makes me wonder if we could have spent the Maguire money someplace else.
I am not a big fan of Maguire. I was against this signing long before we actually signed him up and had been critical ever since. Having said that its one thing playing at a club like Leicester and its another playing with United. Smaller teams tend to play in a deep line, they tend to be very defensive against the top sides and they tend to commit loads of players in defence. United can't afford that. We play a high line, we tend to commit loads of players forward and that leave gaps at the back.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I am not writing him off. However we do tend to overrate our kids. Our patience threshold is far too high on most players really. I mean Phil Jones is on his way to his testimonial match right?

I'd love if we have some sort of structure in place surrounding kids. We should loan them up, have them play 2-3 seasons as first teamers elsewhere and then bring them back if they are good enough.
Yeah I get what you're saying and I wouldn't be against a better system for bringing through youth players. I was always hoping they'd bring in a B team like in La Liga, but that's probably a bit hopeful.

In the case of Tuanzebe though, Ole decided to bring him back. He has the option to play him and try to bring him back into form, yet he chooses not to. It's wrong to say there is no option but to play Lindelof and Maguire.

Polar

So what you’re saying is we need to be patient - because Ole is building a team that a new manager can then go on and win with....

but would it not also make sense to bring that ‘magnificent’ manager in now? Someone who can make the right tactics and subs etc? I don’t get your point of why the need to wait
How can a manager from outside be able to bring back our DNA and the United philosophy.

We are United and is supposed to fight for prestigious titles on a permanent basis, like BM, RM, PSG and Barca. It’s more right to replace managers when clubs are “in the zone” or the fundament is in place; only need fine tuning and incremental development.

The fact that we’ve l been lost or outside the good company for many years, tells me our solid fundament was destroyed. I wouldn’t call it a normal situation “when giants fall”: most clubs aren’t a giant, and giants doesn’t fall to often.

Traditional treatment (manager change) isn’t necessary the best medicine in abnormal cases. That’s why I think no quick fix will bring us back to the top on a more permanent basis.

devilish

Yeah I get what you're saying and I wouldn't be against a better system for bringing through youth players. I was always hoping they'd bring in a B team like in La Liga, but that's probably a bit hopeful.

In the case of Tuanzebe though, Ole decided to bring him back. He has the option to play him and try to bring him back into form, yet he chooses not to. It's wrong to say there is no option but to play Lindelof and Maguire.
United's problem is that we've got business men at board level who keep taking football decisions. The result of that is that we keep making silly mistakes like giving long contracts to the likes of Jones or paying silly salaries to retain the likes of Rojo. That had left us in a vulnerable position with 3 injury prone players (Bailly, Tuanzebe and Jones) acting as cover/competition for Lindelof and Maguire

That doesn't mean that the football side of things does not have its share of blame. Spending 80m on a frankly slightly better then average CB like Maguire is border criminal. Maguire's lack of pace would have been fount out at United especially with Lindelof, DDG and Matic around and the leadership void left by that defence would have made it almost impossible for the likes of Tuanzebe to grow into that role.

United should go back to the basics. We should embrace the fact that injury prone players will never make it at this club, that CBs need pace and must be good in air to succeed here and we need to bring in a real leader at the back. Else we might as well throw the money directly in the bin.

hobbers

That is incredibly inaccurate. Rashford, Martial, Fred, Lindelof, Greenwood, even Pogba. Rashford wasn't even regular under Mourinho, Martial was better last season than at any previous point, Fred was a joke before OGS. Lindelof was worse. Pogba was a perennisl disappointment and were not performing. And Greenwood wasn't even remotely close to playing in the PL.
You're confusing improvement with just playing regularly.

Fred isn't a better player now than he was at Shakhtar, and in his first season in a new league, under a manager who never wanted him, he never had a chance. Pogba has been just as hot and cold as he was in his first year with Mourinho before things soured, and after that he was dropped. Greenwood wasn't old enough to be on the pitch. Lindelof became a first choice CB under Ole, under Mourinho he wasn't first choice and as likely to be starting at RB as CB. Martial is at the absolute lowest he has ever been, and I wouldn't say he was better last season than he was in his breakout season under LVG either.

And for all these supposed improvements, it's been clear that Martial, Fred and Lindelof shouldn't have futures as first-choice United players, and Pogba wants to leave.

mu4c_20le

You're confusing improvement with just playing regularly.

Fred isn't a better player now than he was at Shakhtar, and in his first season in a new league, under a manager who never wanted him, he never had a chance.
Mourinho comments on Fred at the time of his signing:

“Fred will complement our other midfielders' qualities, which we need,” Mourinho said. “His creative brain and passing vision will give us another dimension to our game.

“I am very happy he is joining our club and I believe our players know how important he can be in our team.”

arnie_ni

It would be a shame and all that but I agree.

But I’m not sure that’s where Denis was heading but maybe I’m missing something.

I’ve always said that Ole should be judged over a long period and on the basis of ultimate league position. I have to say then that 5th is not good enough, and I would be amazed if Ole was not sacked at that point. I don’t have any insider knowledge (spoiler alert) but my guess would be there are simple criteria used by the board to trigger dismissal (subject to exceptional mitigating circumstances) and not finishing top 4 is surely on the list (along with spitting in Joel’s cappuccino etc).
The issue is if this slide continues we might not hit top 4. Have you seen our fixtures?

I don't blame fans for wanting to get a ahead of it

hobbers

“Fred will complement our other midfielders' qualities, which we need,” Mourinho said. “His creative brain and passing vision will give us another dimension to our game.

“I am very happy he is joining our club and I believe our players know how important he can be in our team.”
I don't see your point?

Do you think the club would have allowed Jose to not offer a positive quote on their press release announcing Fred's signing?

mu4c_20le

I don't see your point?

Do you think the club would have allowed Jose to not offer a positive quote on their press release announcing Fred's signing?
That's certainly possible, though I don't see Mourinho as a yes man if the player was truly forced on him. He's probably not his first choice but I would be surprised if Woody didn't run it by him first and got his approval.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

:lol: Looks like Mourinho never properly watched him

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I just think our main issue is the lack of quality in the starting 11. That's our main impediment. So i'd rather focus on that for now.
Is it the lack of quality or are there other issues? Last year even though our defence was still a little shaky we are even worse this season. Last season all our forwards were on fire ,this season there's been a notable drop. Fernándes looks burnt out but that's easily explained by carrying the team on his back for so long.

From last season we know the quality is there so why (in my opinion) hasn't that form been improved on? People can fool themselves there's been a marked improvement this season but myself i just cant see it.

SAFMUTD

If I enjoy it more, it is progress. That’s what it’s all about. But honestly, 2nd in the league, top scorers, bossing possession, creating good chances, all better. We were even top of the league halfway through the season before this blip (nay, deep chasm! Oh Woe!) of form. I’m one of these strange guys who enjoy watching football.
I dont think it's a fair parameter but ok. Let's see where we at in a month, 2nd in the league is as slim as it can get only there because of goal difference and 4 points above 5th.

Bossing possession? Only against low blocks which is natural, against top teams we totally give it up.

We'll see but I think we have got better results than our performances deserved.

OrcaFat

I dont think it's a fair parameter but ok. Let's see where we at in a month, 2nd in the league is as slim as it can get only there because of goal difference and 4 points above 5th.

Bossing possession? Only against low blocks which is natural, against top teams we totally give it up.

We'll see but I think we have got better results than our performances deserved.
Yes, a small number of top teams get more possession than us. We still lack some quality in midfield and I’ve been banging on about that more than most. But our possession game is very much improved in the last year.

I don’t deny we are barely second but it’s still better than last year and, you’re right we’ll see how it pans out. I do think we’ll finish above Leicester, for example, but I do worry about Chelsea and Liverpool. We do need to shake off our current malaise, if you can call it that (still only one defeat in the recent poor run), otherwise we are stuffed.

OrcaFat

The issue is if this slide continues we might not hit top 4. Have you seen our fixtures?

I don't blame fans for wanting to get a ahead of it
I do blame them a bit. It’s hasty. Last year’s 3rd place doesn’t merit sacking and we’re 2nd now. Let us play out the games.

Water Melon

I really hope that behind the scenes the Board are considering an alternative to Ole. I doubt he will be sacked now, but if we are out of CL next season, his contract will be terminated. If we finish 3rd, he will get his final year for sure. If we finish 4th, he is likely to stay as well. Winning EL will definetely keep him safe, but I doubt we will reach the final in this tournament.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I do blame them a bit. It’s hasty. Last year’s 3rd place doesn’t merit sacking and we’re 2nd now. Let us play out the games.
I don't think it is hasty. Obviously there's levels of abuse thrown at Ole which are bang out of order but I do think the supporters who don't think Ole has what it takes on the whole are pretty rational, actually more so than the supporters who think Ole should be given a few more years at the helm because the doubters are going by facts which is the only metric we should go by and not just hoping he'll become successful because he's a United legend.

The facts are since his appointment Ole is continually following a certain trend. Great results (at least last season) followed by dismal ones. A 2 month high followed by 1 or 2 months low. It's a continuing pattern which makes people who doubt Ole very sceptical that he's finally going to get there even if we are going through one of his purple patches.

tomaldinho1

Yes, a small number of top teams get more possession than us. We still lack some quality in midfield and I’ve been banging on about that more than most. But our possession game is very much improved in the last year.

I don’t deny we are barely second but it’s still better than last year and, you’re right we’ll see how it pans out. I do think we’ll finish above Leicester, for example, but I do worry about Chelsea and Liverpool. We do need to shake off our current malaise, if you can call it that (still only one defeat in the recent poor run), otherwise we are stuffed.
Our average possession over this season is 56%, it was 56% last season and 55% in the Ole/Mou season, then 55% and 56% in Mou's first...we haven't really changed our approach to possession since Mou came in and moved away from LVG's coaching (think his peak was around 60%). We are still direct, still recycle the ball rather than keep it and still struggle to get behind defensive teams. Nothing wrong with not having loads of possession (for reference this season City, Liverpool are at 64%, Chelsea at 62%, Leicester below us on 53%) if you get results but important to note how little our approach to possession has changed in a long time.

OrcaFat

My stance on Ole, I hope, is reasonable. I have little faith in him longer term but I think it would be a real failure not to get top four especially when you factor in the wider story of the league so far (Chelsea awful start, Liverpool implosion, Spurs hiring Mou) so he should get until May unless we nose dive out of the top four. Then I think we can look back on a large period of Ole's work and ask the question is this good enough. If it is, we back him and if it's not we bring in a new manager with new ideas.
You’re right about one thing, Ole’s position will be reviewed at the end of the season with the benefit of two full seasons’ evidence.

Where some will be disappointed is that the board will take a different view to many of us fans of what is good enough. Knowing the Ole ethos of emphasising club culture and academy and all the stuff that supposedly goes on behind the scenes, he is probably regarded as a good company man and, frankly, there’s no way he goes if we finish top four regardless of whether he is considered a failure by any number of arbitrary metrics measured and judged subjectively by us confused folk.

Foxbatt

His game management is usually poor too. I think he is a decent manager with poor coaching staff. It looks more like Salford United scenario with an old boys club now.

OrcaFat

I don't think it is hasty. Obviously there's levels of abuse thrown at Ole which are bang out of order but I do think the supporters who don't think Ole has what it takes on the whole are pretty rational, actually more so than the supporters who think Ole should be given a few more years at the helm because the doubters are going by facts which is the only metric we should go by and not just hoping he'll become successful because he's a United legend.

The facts are since his appointment Ole is continually following a certain trend. Great results (at least last season) followed by dismal ones. A 2 month high followed by 1 or 2 months low. It's a continuing pattern which makes people who doubt Ole very sceptical that he's finally going to get there even if we are going through one of his purple patches.
The current low contains only one defeat.

To me it is hasty but I would say that because I think he’s the man for the job and want to keep him unless we drop out of top 4 by season end and I don’t want to sack him after one defeat and a couple of draws sandwiching a record victory (but but but that was against 9 men blah blah). It’s not that bad.

Amir

We are second because one of the top two had a massive drop off this season, but because of our own massive improvement.

tomaldinho1

You’re right about one thing, Ole’s position will be reviewed at the end of the season with the benefit of two full seasons’ evidence.

Where some will be disappointed is that the board will take a different view to many of us fans of what is good enough. Knowing the Ole ethos of emphasising club culture and academy and all the stuff that supposedly goes on behind the scenes, he is probably regarded as a good company man and, frankly, there’s no way he goes if we finish top four regardless of whether he is considered a failure by any number of arbitrary metrics measured and judged subjectively by us confused folk.
I agree and I think 2 full seasons (well 2.5 but who's counting) is plenty for any manager at any club. It's not really Ole's direct fault but the United bar has been lowered and I think consecutive top four will get him a new contract. If we're in a position where we can be a stable CL club and that's Ole's limit that's fine, as long as we're not parking the bus to get wins, and then we should shift to longer term planning, as City did with Guardiola, and moving when the right manager is available.

OrcaFat

Our average possession over this season is 56%, it was 56% last season and 55% in the Ole/Mou season, then 55% and 56% in Mou's first...we haven't really changed our approach to possession since Mou came in and moved away from LVG's coaching (think his peak was around 60%). We are still direct, still recycle the ball rather than keep it and still struggle to get behind defensive teams. Nothing wrong with not having loads of possession (for reference this season City, Liverpool are at 64%, Chelsea at 62%, Leicester below us on 53%) if you get results but important to note how little our approach to possession has changed in a long time.
Thanks for the stats, our possession wasn’t as bad as I thought it was before then. My impression watching the games is that we have more control and are less direct. Either way, we need more quality in midfield and I’ve said that so many times.

To me we look very much more likely to win games most of the time but we still have these ragged periods where the whole team is just giving the ball away. It is a fundamental problem that can’t be solved with the players we have but would diminish with a calm, technical, leader added in CM. Will be interesting to see if it is addressed in the summer, whether Ole is still here or not.

tomaldinho1

Thanks for the stats, our possession wasn’t as bad as I thought it was before then. My impression watching the games is that we have more control and are less direct. Either way, we need more quality in midfield and I’ve said that so many times.

To me we look very much more likely to win games most of the time but we still have these ragged periods where the whole team is just giving the ball away. It is a fundamental problem that can’t be solved with the players we have but would diminish with a calm, technical, leader added in CM. Will be interesting to see if it is addressed in the summer, whether Ole is still here or not.
I think as time has gone on and also seeing Spurs play now, we assumed we were the same but they are wayyyyyyyy worse than we were (49% average possession this season :wenger: ). For me it's more a case of a manager's aversion to risk. Ole is very different to Mou (thank God) in many ways but very similar in his unwillingness to play two attacking/possession CMs further forward which for me in the key to offensive football in the modern game. Until that changes I think we will always struggle with how we use possession and it's strange because on paper Pogba/Bruno should work, as should VdB with one of the two.

OrcaFat

I think as time has gone on and also seeing Spurs play now, we assumed we were the same but they are wayyyyyyyy worse than we were (49% average possession this season :wenger: ). For me it's more a case of a manager's aversion to risk. Ole is very different to Mou (thank God) in many ways but very similar in his unwillingness to play two attacking/possession CMs further forward which for me in the key to offensive football in the modern game. Until that changes I think we will always struggle with how we use possession and it's strange because on paper Pogba/Bruno should work, as should VdB with one of the two.
Or, as I keep saying, without anyone agreeing with me, Jack Grealish and Bruno. Many problems solved if we do that, I feel. But that is pretty much JUST me.

tomaldinho1

Or, as I keep saying, without anyone agreeing with me, Jack Grealish and Bruno. Many problems solved if we do that, I feel. But that is pretty much JUST me.
We'd be like Kegan's Newcastle if you played Grealish/Bruno as CMs, entertaining, scoring for fun but leaking so many goals! Bruno has zero positional discipline so I feel like Grealish would end up being hung out to dry unless we also signed someone like Kante and then you're buying players to accommodate other players and it's all just echoes of signing Pogba and then struggling to get the best out of him for years and years.

Get the system first, then cherry pick the right players for it. I'd love to see Grealish here though, currently he walks into our team anywhere.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If we finish outside the top 4 this season, and he was sacked. Would that be deemed controversial or unfair to everyone?
Not for me. Last season was a pass from me regardless of where we finished, but this season CL qualification has to be the minimum

SirScholes

2nd by a long way.
yip but we don’t have the players city have
They also have probably the best manager at the moment
Need a get a grip of reality some people in here.
It was always about cementing CL place rather than luckily being gifted it like last year

he’s got one season left for me after this one, we need 2 star players to come in and lft this team, a commanding CB and a striker to lead the line.
Get those in and if he can’t mount a challenge then maybe we need a new direction but right now he’s doing a good job, can’t be denied

Raveneye

If we finish outside the top 4 this season, and he was sacked. Would that be deemed controversial or unfair to everyone?
That'd be fair. Champions League football is a major source of revenue and a great attractor of top level talent. Ole getting sacked last season for finishing outside the top 4 wouldn't necessarily have been unreasonable either, so even more so this season.

Last edited:

patty123

How can a manager from outside be able to bring back our DNA and the United philosophy.
Why can't they ? As do you think setting up so defensive against top teams like we have done under ole is the UTD way and philosophy, granted AF did it towards the last few yrs here, but that was down to lack of top talent in the squad.

The fact that we’ve l been lost or outside the good company for many years, tells me our solid fundament was destroyed. I wouldn’t call it a normal situation “when giants fall”: most clubs aren’t a giant, and giants doesn’t fall to often.
Sorry but top teams or giants do fall all the time in all sports. Take Forrest they were a top team back in the 70s, early 80's even doing something we have never done and that's win aul big ears back to back, won the league, league cups, where are they now and there are many others considered top teams/giants of footie throughout different eras of footie and are no where to be seen nowadays and that's just not in England.

That’s why I think no quick fix will bring us back to the top on a more permanent basis.
I don't think we'll ever see a team dominate like we did 90s, 00s or liverpool back in the day due to the money out there and not just for certain clubs, but what I would like from Ole, is some consistent footie rather than what we have seen since 2 and a half yrs ago, this good run, shite run, good run, shite run nonsense.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
One thing that people don't understand in the current pl is that year to year progression doesn't necessarily mean a lot . If we finish 10 points behind the leader with 70 points this season then yeah you can talk about progression but overall we are still far away from winning the league. Top teams have a window and if you don't do it in the 2-3 year period you are back to square one in terms of winning the league. Pep has rebuilt the squad so well and frankly till he is there Ole is unlikely to come close to a league title

UDontMessWith24

There's an argument made in this and a couple of other threads that I just can't wrap my head around. Bad results (especially against bottom 10 sides) are ok because we were never going to challenge for the title anyway. I was tempted to respond a time or two but it's so ridiculous it's hard to even formulate a thought to address it. Absolutely mind boggling.

Polar

Why can't they ? As do you think setting up so defensive against top teams like we have done under ole is the UTD way and philosophy, granted AF did it towards the last few yrs here, but that was down to lack of top talent in the squad.

Sorry but top teams or giants do fall all the time in all sports. Take Forrest they were a top team back in the 70s, early 80's even doing something we have never done and that's win aul big ears back to back, won the league, league cups, where are they now and there are many others considered top teams/giants of footie throughout different eras of footie and are no where to be seen nowadays and that's just not in England.

I don't think we'll ever see a team dominate like we did 90s, 00s or liverpool back in the day due to the money out there and not just for certain clubs, but what I would like from Ole, is some consistent footie rather than what we have seen since 2 and a half yrs ago, this good run, shite run, good run, shite run nonsense.
First: We are talking about different things. You are on the micro level. I’m on the macro level. So I don’t actually see the relevance.

Second: How often is BM, RM, Barca, Juventus, LFC outside of the good company over a long period? It happens from time to time, but they have always returned. During history some clubs also drop out for good, example Nottingham.

Third: Me neither. But it’s a difference between dominating and be outside the good company. I define the good company as a medal in PL and quarter/semi in CL.

Crustanoid

It’s the only performance indicator the owners care about, so that’s what would most likely happen