Why United fans should be positive - Explaining recent decisions

Its hard not be be negative with regards to United recently,even if Ole initial start here did bring a ray of sunshine back to the place.
What concerns me isn't the defeats as such,because they happen,its the manner of them.Couple that with the off field issues relating to the ownership United,at present,seems like a club looking lost and without direction.Hopefully,on the field atleast,the club finally starts to make the right moves but my confidence with that is on short supply.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd never heard of Martial when we signed him, truth be told. Was everyone talking about him as being a future legend and I just missed it (I don't play FM!). Same with Dalot, who I think has every chance of turning out to be top quality. Lindelof I had heard of and knew he had a pretty big reputation.
He looked every bit one of the best youngsters in the world playing for Monaco, had Barca, Mourinho at Chelsea, and United the main teams interested but was one of the top young players for sure (which he showed).

Lindelofs name has been around for a while but apparently also the hype died down a bit with him by the time we got him. Dalot never heard of but Porto fans rated him highly and sold Pereira to give him a chance, only to then lose Dalot :lol:

Un4givableB

Regarding signings, I find it strange that United never go in early for a player that everyone has been raving about - think Erikkson before he joined Spurs. He was one of the biggest emerging talents in European football and we didn't make an attempt to sign him, I think Spurs had a clear run at him.

United usually wait until such a player inevitably becomes one of the best players in the league, then try to buy him for about 10 times what he cost when he first came to the Prem.

There are plenty more examples of this. I just can't think of them right now. So there.
Not true, Dalot, Lindelöf, Bailly, Martial, Memphis Depay, Zaha and even Chong fits into the 'emerging talents' category, we could have bought Eriksen, Coutinho, Luis Suarez & van Dijk from the Dutch League earlier in their career
and they still may have not made it here, it may have been too big a step up at the time. Buying that 'emerging talents' type of player is always a punt & remember Spurs also bought Vincent Janssen.

If we consider we ourselves in the same level as Real, Barcelona, Juventus, PSG, City we should be prepared to pay what it takes to get proven talent from other premiership clubs.

Dr Fink

Top post by the OP. Completely agree. A sensible post at last rather than knee-jerk complaining.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's not even just the "soon to be top" players we're missing out on. How about players like Aubameyang, Salah or Bernardo Silva? These cost our rivals approximately the same (or less) than we paid for Martial or Fred.

Whether we're buying the most expensive players (Pogba vs De Bruyne vs Van Dijk) or players from the tier below that, or potential superstars of the future, we seem to be spending our money far less wisely than the clubs we're competing against. I obviously hope this will change under Ole but I've yet to see any decent argument why?
The argument is that you would hope that ~8 years after Rio and Vidic declined and needed replacing, that we'll finally spend some real money on trying to replace them with someone who is ready now. We have some glaring holes so it's kinda just hoping we address these glaring issues instead of spending 350k a week on a position that was working well for us at the time, or something like that.

lysglimt

Scout
IMO - what happens in the transfer market this summer will decide OGS future. Despite all our problems this season - we are fighting for 4th Place - and reached the QF of the C.L

If OGS gets 2-3 signings right - we will improve quite a lot. Not enough to win the League - but enough to easily secure top-4 and be closer to the best.

The potential to improve is enormous - but we need to get those signings right

Mr PG

The Young situation is not excusable. He is playing because he is one of Ole's favourites, if performances had any weight in the decision he wouldn't be playing. Extending his contract and the contract of jones is just rewarding mediocrity.

Beyond that I'll give Ole the benefit of the doubt for now.
I agree. Ole has shown to be more naive than even I thought. Jones should never play against top teams/ Young simply needs to hit the bench. Darmian is miles better against top teams. At least he won't make stupid mistakes. Young been a disaster for so many games and he continues to play him when even academy players would do better. We got away with it against PSG when young escaped a second yellow for pushing Dimaria against the advertising boards.

Drz

I'm all for a bit of positivity but this is the elephant in the room. Our transfer dealings have been abysmal, for fecking ages. Even through my most red-tinted spectacles I'm struggling to convince myself that the manager of Molde (with all due respect) will have a better eye for a signing/contacts in the transfer market than any of the previous three managers. So on what basis are we expecting better signings this summer than over the previous several years?

Ole's done brilliantly so far at getting the best out of a bunch of disheartened players, whose confidence had been wrecked under Mourinho. Rebuilding a team by buying and selling CL quality players requires a completely different skillset and these are skills completely absent from Ole's cv.
Well I had 0 confidence in Mourinho or his black-book of mercs to sign. Yet he was given the job, on the back of successive dressing room bust-ups.

I'll take the question mark over Ole any day, he did not pass a diploma at MIT in football talent spotting though, poor thing.

Mr PG

A top CB/ Midfielder/Forward are a must. Lukaku/ Martial/need to go tbh if we're to get as ruthless as we should.

Denis79

Don't agree with what you're saying about Young, because he's been so poor and out of form that there's no excuse not to use other players. Ole just likes him, just like LvG liked Rooney or Mourinho Lukaku even when the players were clearly out of form, they played. Let's see if he starts vs Everton.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I am positive looking ahead, and think all Man Utd supporters should understand that things will take time now. To much to fix to be able to fix it in one window/one summer. Hopefully MU get some really good and young players in this window to start the re-building. I think the club is where a club often finds it self when starting to do the correct things to re-build. In 2-3 years time MU will be a force unleashed. Just I do not expect to win the prem next season.
Good post OP.

Grande

Dalot should have played. I understand he is raw but he isn't going to learn from the bench watching the bird poop coinessuer. Even if he is poor defensively he isn't a coward on the ball and we struggle immensely when pressed in deeper areas because of how shit Young and others are in possession. Ole isn't stupid, I cannot see how he would allow young continue to play unless it's favouritism or a LVG-esque "my captain shall always play" thing.

Jones is as bad as Bailly and Rojo and all 3 are not up to par. I still think there's a player in Bailly but his form is so erratic he is unreliable. Jones maybe has a place as a 4th or 5th choice player but he's just bang average and the fact we keep such players on board is indicative of where our standards are as a club.
First time I’ve read a @Wumminator post I’ve almost entirely agreed with.

Posts like this explains the need. If you know any football, and have seen the last ten games, you will have to agree with that, while Young has been playing the worst I can remember him playing, he has still been quite clearly more defensively sound in those games than Bailly, Dalot and Darmian in their last outings in the back four. His positioning is way better (or less bad) and he has been clearly better defensively one by one than these three.

People want Dalot to play because he is exciting for the future, but when we go away to Camp Nou needing one goal more than Messi and co, we will want our back four to be as defensively sound as we can.

Starting Dalot, Bailly, Darmian or Rojo ahead of Young yesterday wouldn’t have accomplished that, and the fact that Young meessed a big one up, ceeding a shot from twenty yards out, doesn’t change that. Calling this ‘favoritism’ just underlines why fans should not hire (or fire) managers.

The other one as well: Should we sell Jones and keep Rojo? Release Young and keep Darmian? You could argue the cases, but on evidence, you’d have to argue convincingly.

Should we let go Young, Jones, Darmian, Bailly, Rojo and Valencia simultaneously? I can’t imagine a manager in the world who would allow such a thing.

Turkleton

From Ole's first few games we can see that he likes to play with a high press and being pro-active. Unfortunately the players don't have the fitness for this and started picking up injuries which forced Ole to adapt. I believe a full pre-season will help get the players back to how Ole wants to play. Also, I expect his signings to make much more sense than Mourinho's, meaning he will know what he wants from the player before signing him.

The expectation for next season shouldn't be to win anything, but to make significant moves towards a particular philosophy. I think the best way to do this would be to cut a large amount of the squad and bring in the right players for the first team even if it means we can't compete in all competitions next season.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Should we let go Young, Jones, Darmian, Bailly, Rojo and Valencia simultaneously? I can’t imagine a manager in the world who would allow such a thing.
Just across the city, there's one.

Denis79

From Ole's first few games we can see that he likes to play with a high press and being pro-active. Unfortunately the players don't have the fitness for this and started picking up injuries which forced Ole to adapt. I believe a full pre-season will help get the players back to how Ole wants to play. Also, I expect his signings to make much more sense than Mourinho's, meaning he will know what he wants from the player before signing him.

The expectation for next season shouldn't be to win anything, but to make significant moves towards a particular philosophy. I think the best way to do this would be to cut a large amount of the squad and bring in the right players for the first team even if it means we can't compete in all competitions next season.
That's the problem. You think Ole's got it easier because he's a legend? The board will still expect a top 4 or he'll get the sack like the rest of them. I'm not positive because our team is lacking a lot and I'm afraid that one summer window won't be enough to "guarantee" a top four spot. So if he doesn't make top he'll get the sack and we'll hire a new manager, with a different style and be at the same exact spot next season again, with a huge rebuild on our hands.

If the board promised Ole 3 years to get this right I wouldn't worry at all, or if I knew the board had a plan going forward. But it's obvious the men in charge just switch managers if they fail top 4 and then throw money at it. Worked well for us so far..

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd make a sane thread to cancel out all the nonsense.

1) The Young situation - There was no better choice than starting Ashley Young last night.
It's as simple as it says. Now that doesn't mean that Ashley Young played well or that Ashley Young didn't make a mistake, it just simply means that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made the logical choice. He couldn't play Eric Bailly at right back. We have seen how that turns out. Luke Shaw was gone. Valencia is on his way out. Darmian has played six times total this year and hasn't been seen for months. Rojo just got torn to shreds against West Ham. The only viable alternative is Dalot and realistically he has shown less defensively than Young. Ole could do nothing about this situation.

I agree that it was a fairly obvious choice to play him. But I also think we're looking at a player now who is finished. And Ole must recognise that.
2) Our recent contract extensions - Jones/Young will feature next year.
I see a lot of posts complaining about these two having their contracts extended. Well the simple fact is, while they are no longer good enough for United, they are better than their alternatives. Behind them in the pecking order are: Darmian, Rojo, Bailly and Valencia. At least three of them will leave next summer. Realistically our defensive options without these two contract extensions could be: Lindelof, Smalling, Shaw and Dalot. We NEED more squad players than that, especially with our injury problems. Due to our deficiencies else where it would be madness to sign 3/4 defenders. So Young/Jones getting a contract makes sense.

Just because there are worse players on the books, doesn't mean they should be given new contracts. The 1 year for Young was understandable at the time, for a squad player, but the new contract for Jones given our serious lack of quality at the back is just a stupid decision. We need a defensive overhaul.
3.) If we are going to play like this we should have kept Mourinho
I am seeing more and more of these types of posts. Mourinho was done. He had just got battered by Liverpool and had fallen out with the squad. The key here is though is that Pogba and Rashford weren't performing for Mourinho. They were our best players and Pogba had been dropped. It is evident that Mourinho had a toxic relationship with the players and we can't just get rid of the whole squad (some of you may wish this was possible)

A lot of posters are criticising the players for dropping their levels again, after Ole's honeymoon period. It's not necessarily that we're back to Jose-ball, but a realisation that our squad is average and our first XI is not good enough.
4.) Ed Woodwood hasn't backed us in the transfer market
When Mourinho took over at United, we had been spending just over 210 million on the wages of our players. We've just announced we have wages of 296 million without Sanchez being here for a full year) Mourinho spent over 400 million. He recouped around 100 million. So on average every year he was here had had a 100 million net spend while increasing the wage bill by about 30 million a year. For those figures we have Fred, Dalot, Sanchez, Lukaku, Lindelof, Bailly and Pogba to show for it. Are those players worth the money? No. Now we hear rumours (nothing confirmed) that Mourinho wanted Maguire, Perisic et al. Would these have improved us? Woodwood was in the unenviable position of making more signings that wouldn't have improved us or dismissing a manager who had just finished second. Either one might have put us in a worst position than we are now.

This is where your sane thread to "cancel out all the nonsense" becomes quite the opposite. Do you not see that Woodward is ultimately responsible for everything that's gone on since SAF retired? The man who has presided over 6 years of continued failure, of short-termism and rewarding mediocrity where we now have an average squad earning some of the highest wages in world football? Paying inflated fees, after shooting himself in the foot with how he uses the press to fluff his ego, changing directions every 2-3 years instead of hiring people to do the job he obviously cannot do. The man is a charlatan of the most expensive sort. In short, an absolute twat. If you think Jose was damaging to the club, sanity requires you to see the damaging impact Woodward continues to have on the club.
5.) We will spend a feckton this summer.
Not really a decision but important to say. Just as important as net spend is the wage bill. We are looking at reducing this massively. Players who aren't contributing enough are going, Mata, Herrera, Valencia are pretty certain to leave. Rojo, Darmian, Periera will likely follow them out the door. We've already recouped money for Fellaini. We are for the first time in ages have a proper clear out. You might think you hear this every year, but this time we know that contracts are expiring. This should clear out our wage bill massively. Furthermore with our relative lack of spend this past summer and the clear deficiencies in our squad it is obvious where we need to buy. I expect a 200+ million pound summer. The Glazers have been shown to back new managers when they need it.

We've offered contracts to both Mata and Herrera, so it's obviously not the intentional stance to get them out. Furthermore, we should have tied them up a while back in order to be able to sell some of the few players who could actually fetch a price, if we're trying to maintain a sound business. Every manager has cleared out players. If you are thinking there will be some serious clear-out, not just because contracts are running out for players who choose to go elsewhere even if they're offered contracts here, that's not because of some long-term plan by the club.
6.) Giving Ole the job.
This is a no brainer. When he was hired no-one expected us to be challenging for the top four or get past PSG. He accomplished both and the players and fans loved him. There was no other option. Some people keep talking about waiting till summer.. what would this have accomplished? There will be no big name managers leaving their post this summer and Ole might rightly have told us to feck off if we waited. So what benefit would that have done? Since he took the job he has us pretty much top of the premier league. Our recent form isn't great but we've player Barcelona twice, Wolves twice and Arsenal away. They are all games that ANY manager would struggle with.

I back Ole, I wanted him, I bought into the romance of it, and I'm still hoping that it wasn't just romance but some logic to it as well. But to say there was no other option is just false. Firstly, we could have waited until the end of the season. And obviously, we'd been linked with Poch.
We have to be positive. We are in a much better position now than we have been for the last four/five years as far as I can see. We have a manager who has already done a great job. We have money available and we have space in our squad. Even though watching City/Liverpool push on is galling, this is not Ole's fault and we just need to put everything into preparing for next year now.

We were in a pretty good position to strengthen after last season. We didn't. We had money then, we had deadwood then to clear-out. We still have the same people running the club in the same incompetent way. Our only hope is that Ole is such a genius waiting to blossom that he can mitigate the incompetency of the owners/board in the same way SAF did. No small task.

Last edited:

Turkleton

That's the problem. You think Ole's got it easier because he's a legend? The board will still expect a top 4 or he'll get the sack like the rest of them. I'm not positive because our team is lacking a lot and I'm afraid that one summer window won't be enough to "guarantee" a top four spot. So if he doesn't make top he'll get the sack and we'll hire a new manager, with a different style and be at the same exact spot next season again, with a huge rebuild on our hands.

If the board promised Ole 3 years to get this right I wouldn't worry at all, or if I knew the board had a plan going forward. But it's obvious the men in charge just switch managers if they fail top 4 and then throw money at it. Worked well for us so far..
I would still expect top 4 and I think that's attainable. It should have been done this season if not for the disastrous first few months. However I don't think missing out on top 4 is the end of the world as long as we are clearly building towards something. I don't think the next manager/coach will have a massively different philosophy to Ole. The point of getting in a DoF is to have a long term consistent approach to a way of playing. I suspect the board has realised this and it's why they're looking to hire someone.

Josep Dowling

2) Our recent contract extensions - Jones/Young will feature next year.
I see a lot of posts complaining about these two having their contracts extended. Well the simple fact is, while they are no longer good enough for United, they are better than their alternatives. Behind them in the pecking order are: Darmian, Rojo, Bailly and Valencia. At least three of them will leave next summer. Realistically our defensive options without these two contract extensions could be: Lindelof, Smalling, Shaw and Dalot. We NEED more squad players than that, especially with our injury problems. Due to our deficiencies else where it would be madness to sign 3/4 defenders. So Young/Jones getting a contract makes sense.
You have made very valid points but I cannot agree with this one. How much are both these players earning a week? Reports are well over £100k per week. They need shifting off the wages bill. We have needed a first team RB since last season, Dalot is then the substitute.

As for Jones he hasn't been good enough since his first season under Sir Alex Ferguson which is 8 years ago now. Bailly was a rock in his first season just two seasons ago. He should be given another chance whilst Jones is sold. That means we have Smalling and Bailly as CB options with a new CB coming in to partner Lindelof.

The fear for most United fans is they become first team options too regularly next season as well. Young plays almost every week.

Denis79

I would still expect top 4 and I think that's attainable. It should have been done this season if not for the disastrous first few months. However I don't think missing out on top 4 is the end of the world as long as we are clearly building towards something. I don't think the next manager/coach will have a massively different philosophy to Ole. The point of getting in a DoF is to have a long term consistent approach to a way of playing. I suspect the board has realised this and it's why they're looking to hire someone.
Hope you're right but I don't have much faith in the people running the club. Hope Ole gets a fair shot at this.

Smores

Posts like this explains the need. If you know any football, and have seen the last ten games, you will have to agree with that, while Young has been playing the worst I can remember him playing, he has still been quite clearly more defensively sound in those games than Bailly, Dalot and Darmian in their last outings in the back four. His positioning is way better (or less bad) and he has been clearly better defensively one by one than these three.

People want Dalot to play because he is exciting for the future, but when we go away to Camp Nou needing one goal more than Messi and co, we will want our back four to be as defensively sound as we can.

Starting Dalot, Bailly, Darmian or Rojo ahead of Young yesterday wouldn’t have accomplished that, and the fact that Young meessed a big one up, ceeding a shot from twenty yards out, doesn’t change that. Calling this ‘favoritism’ just underlines why fans should not hire (or fire) managers.

The other one as well: Should we sell Jones and keep Rojo? Release Young and keep Darmian? You could argue the cases, but on evidence, you’d have to argue convincingly.

I do find it amusing how some can't share an opinion without being ridiculously conceited.

Dalot has had a couple of bad defensive displays thats fair but they were at the start of his career here. Young however has been terrible for a good bit of the season and his giving away of the ball time and time again should have been enough of a red flag to anyone that it was suicide against Barca.

We all championed that Ole will follow the united way but a big part of that is playing the up and coming when the seniors show they can't do it anymore. I'm confident he's smart enough to see that mistake whilst you lot make excuses instead

Denis79

I do find it amusing how some can't share an opinion without being ridiculously conceited.

Dalot has had a couple of bad defensive displays thats fair but they were at the start of his career here. Young however has been terrible for a good bit of the season and his giving away of the ball time and time again should have been enough of a red flag to anyone that it was suicide against Barca.

We all championed that Ole will follow the united way but a big part of that is playing the up and coming when the seniors show they can't do it anymore. I'm confident he's smart enough to see that mistake whilst you lot make excuses instead
Was like that with every manager. Some posters who supported Mourinho defended every decision he made, same with LvG and it won't be different with Ole.

I'm a Ole fan and happy he got the job and I hope he gets a fair shot at this but it won't stop me from dishing out criticism when I think he's wrong about something. Suddenly posters are making Young our best wing-back just to defend Ole's choice of playing him. Ole made a mistake, it happens to the best. Let's see if he reckognizes it and benches him vs Everton.

Hawks2008

When we go away to Camp Nou needing goals it we will want our best ball users because we knew we're not going to see much of it. Young is a shit coward in possession, Dalot has at least tries to be progressive when he gets the ball. Our transitioning from deep is woeful in part due to players like Young who always go for the backwards pass or the aimless hoof forward. He has been woeful for a while and he does not deserve his place. Dalot is raw granted but as I said sitting on the bench behind the ghost of Ashley Young will not help him develop and Young cost us dearly last night to say say he makes our defence "sound" is a joke.

It really wouldn't hurt us if they all left, as someone pointed out Guardiola made a similar cull in 2017. None of those players are good enough to play a part in any future success so I would not be sad to see the back of them all. This club is happy to let mediocre players hang around like a bad smell though so I won't hold my breath.

Cantonagotmehere

I have always said, I would enjoy the fight to get back to the top, through thick and thin. It has not been and easy attitude to have. But, with Ole in charge I am truly excited again for the summer and what lies ahead for next season. I doubt we make top 4 this season, but that dream was supposedly dead with Jose in charge, at least we have a slim chance now and all to play for.

killerboi2

The positives I can think of is that this whole thing about the wheels falling off for Ole is overblown. This is a slump, that started with the FA cup Wolves game and one that would hopefully be corrected next match against Everton. Ole's tactics and quality of football are fine. Much better than Mourinho's. The fast paced, counter attacking football that we have played under him has been great to watch in my opinion. All the talk of wheels falling off and Ole has only lost 2 in 16 league games. That is good considering the squad he has.

European softness against Spanish teams is something we've been experiencing since 08/09. This is not Solskjaer's fault, but rather a bigger problem concerning the club. There needs to be a big clear out and change of mentality so that we can start working towards competing in Europe. There are no positives about getting humiliated in the CL.

Grande

I don’t know how you find it ridiculously conceited to opine that Dalot had more defensive errors against West Ham alone than Young has in his last three games. Positioning, marking, organizing press. I wanted Dalot in our midfield at home against Barca, and I want him to get the chances against the likes of West Ham at full back, as he is the future, and Young has been terrible in passing and possession the last month. Dalot is not ready to move right in response to the interplay of Alba, Messi and Coutinho yet by far, though. That is not a slight on him, but his most apparent weaknesses so far would fit Barca hand in glove.

I’m not even saying it would be madness, merely that fans claiming Dalot was an obvious starting choice at the back at Camp Nou are over the top.

Dalot had as many bad passes against Barca as did Young, so I’m not sure it proves anything.

Gator Nate

Excellent OP!!!

Especially agreed on the Young situation. Yeah, I get it. It's bad. And it won't get better before the end of the year.

I am far more interested in seeing what Ole does with the transfer window and pre-season training. Five good purchases that can integrate with his plans should make this a much stronger squad.

Grande

Away to Barca in a QF, trailing one goal, is not the game out of all for trying out kids. Fergie even hardly ever did that. You go for the eleven you believe will optimize your chances of scoring one more than you let in. The game plan worked well, and the mistakes Young and De Gea made could have happened to Dalot as well (and did). I was fuming at Young’s clumsy choices as much as anyone, but the mistake itself wasn’t worse than a few Dalot made after he came on, and Messi had to do most of the work himself, unlike when DeGea was generous a bit later.

Regarding next year, Glazers are not Dubai, and Solskjær (nor anyone else) is not Guardiola. Changing all squad options wholesale is not likely in my view.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I can understand wanting to start Dalot over Young. I’m not having that it was an “obvious” decision. I think either option has merits.

Hawks2008

Away to Barca in a QF, trailing one goal, is not the game out of all for trying out kids. Fergie even hardly ever did that. You go for the eleven you believe will optimize your chances of scoring one more than you let in. The game plan worked well, and the mistakes Young and De Gea made could have happened to Dalot as well (and did). I was fuming at Young’s clumsy choices as much as anyone, but the mistake itself wasn’t worse than a few Dalot made after he came on, and Messi had to do most of the work himself, unlike when DeGea was generous a bit later.

Regarding next year, Glazers are not Dubai, and Solskjær (nor anyone else) is not Guardiola. Changing all squad options wholesale is not likely in my view.
Well if Young and others continue to play despite how much of a burden they are then we aren't getting top 4 this season. If we continue to keep players who are barely bottom half level than we won't go anywhere in the seasons to come. I said I'll give Ole the benefit of the doubt but some of his decisions are questionable.

Web of Bissaka

1) Yeah, Ole doesn't have much of a choice with starting Young tbh..... are Rojo and Darmian injured though? Darmian not match fit? if they are, then that explains us only having one defender Dalot on the bench with the other 4 playing. I think it's more to do with the system he chose in the 2nd leg. The 1st leg is much better since he play with a more defensive system of 5 defenders. It's suicidal tactic to give that many spaces to Messi and co. He could've play all 5, but that would mean no cover on bench.

If Rojo and Darmian are actually available, then that's on Ole for continue using Young who are in bad run of form recent consecutive games. Rojo as the LCB in 5 defenders system could work better, and Darmian as LB in a 4 def could also work better. Who knows.

2) I have no problem with Young's contract extension -- it's just one year until summer 2020.
So one more season, and if he's still bad, don't extend anymore and follow Tony V out.

Jones though...
. until 2023, till his 30s where he's definitely going to decline and likely missing more games. Yeah, it'll be a lot easier to sell him then. We're a charity club anyway -- you can't work because you're injured? sure not a problem. Would be better if it's a "pay as you play" (that's just an expression, pay Jones only if he's available, not out injured).

3) Yeah Mourinho chapter is done. We're in agreement here. Full stop. Move forward please, to posters who still believe he will make us better. Remember his "heritage". Then again there is still Moyes and LVG supporters so we'll still be seeing "Mourinho should've stayed".

4) Yeah Ed did backed managers. But then seemingly he's getting more and more control than listening. He seems to be under the impression he knows more about football which is why he refuse to get Mou some players, or he's being surrounded by idiot advisors who gave him bs reasons and he listens to that.

Okay you seem to be under the impression the players we didn't get will fail us. Every transfers are always a risk. No one expect Veron to be not a complete success. Or latest example is Sanchez, even under the new manager with a totally new system he's failing. Lukaku and Matic only gave their best only just when they arrived then declined in performances this quickly are also unexpected.

5) Admire your hope and trust. Yeah we will be spending no doubt, but to the fullest? doubt that. At first expect club to back the manager to the fullest just like how they did with LVG and Mourinho's early 2 seasons, but then the summer before this season, there seems to be a shift in backing -- budget getting tighter probably, anyway the prev manager demanded a CB which wasn't granted. So it wouldn't surprise me if they tightened up the budget and do not back Ole fully this summer.

6) No other choice is overstretching it. A lot of managers even if they're under contract can still be tempted. Of course Ole did well, and I agree we should give him at least one more season i.e. next season to continue.. but saying only Ole is the option is really... unrealistic.

He was given 2-3 years contract. That's really testing the water. It'll be so difficult to sack him in that period if he fail. Just considering if the bad events will happen -- Sack and fans will hate the club higher management team. Let him continue until contract expired and it'll be us wasting more time. It's just not wise decisions by the ones in charge of the club -- 1 year contract + extension option will be better. No point crying spoilt milk. If he did well again next season, simply extend his contract easily.

---

:) Good thread anyway. It's just too positive and rose-tinted reclining more towards "the club is right", but no, not totally.
It does offer good realistic alternative perspectives anyway, which we need more in the caf. Keep it going.

Last edited:

fallengt

My problem is coaching staff can't seem to improve anyone. This season and last, only Luke Shaw and Lindelof have showed clear sign of progression, Rashford in some odd games, for the rest it's just not good enough. "It's the players" I don't disagree but Lukaku played better for Everton than for us, there's probably something more to it.

And transfer window's been hit miss for us. There's no telling we'll get everything right this time. Name one signing that just walked into the squad and has consistently performed better than everyone else? Pogba & Zlatan maybe.
Some people keep talking about waiting till summer..
It was 3 failed managerial appointment in a row. Sacking Mourinho would've been the perfect time for club to sit back, relax, narrow down the problems, do it the Richard Feymann' way but apparently they didn't want to be little rational about it. Pardon me for wanting someone that has had good track record of improving the squad. This post's completely changed my mind, from now on I'll always believe in CEO, consume products, never question them and get excited for the next.

Last edited: