why was De Gea not dropped by Ole for woeful form that resulted in the club missing a UCL place - @passing-wind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Untied

We could probably sell him to Juventus or another Italian club, the tax incentives mean they could match his current wages more easily

I probably would. Henderson is good enough.

edcunited1878

feckin hell. You don't miss out on CL places because of one fecking player. You earn it as a team and lose the opportunity as a team.

The state of some people always complaining and looking to place blame is ridiculous.

romufc

feckin hell. You don't miss out on CL places because of one fecking player. You earn it as a team and lose the opportunity as a team.

The state of some people always complaining and looking to place blame is ridiculous.
If we use the same scenario and flip it, one could argue that we were in the CL for all those seasons because of him.

He covered some big cracks.

Yes he may not be in good form, but we need to support our players. it seems a few mistakes and we just want to get rid of players.

He wanted to go to Madrid but didn't happen and stayed, didnt create a fuss and produced WC performances. This is the time for fans to show support to him.

rollingstoned1

I remember the thread about his contract situation at the time, there weren't many fans calling for us not to get him signed up to a new contract. The majority were certainly of the opinion we should pay him what he wanted to get it done.

Had we not got the contract signed, the fans would have been in absolute uproar and at the time, rightly so.
Not me and I know there were quite a few like me over here who were cautioning against signing him up and giving him whatever he wanted - stupid wages - because of the kind of keeper he is. Now that it seems like we made a mistake the same numpties who were shitting it and saying that we are penny pinching by not offering him a new deal because he had 'earned it' are now blaming woodward and our awful negotiations. :rolleyes:

edcunited1878

If we use the same scenario and flip it, one could argue that we were in the CL for all those seasons because of him.

He covered some big cracks.

Yes he may not be in good form, but we need to support our players. it seems a few mistakes and we just want to get rid of players.

He wanted to go to Madrid but didn't happen and stayed, didnt create a fuss and produced WC performances. This is the time for fans to show support to him.
100%. He's saved our asses too many times to remember. And because he's made more mistakes the past few years, he's getting some shit treatment by too many supporters.

It's a huge assumption that without his mistake on Sunday, United would have gone on to win. It's never that straight forward. Nothing is.

DDG's form is just this. He's going to have these gaffs from time to time now where previously he rarely, if ever (never), had them. And when you're playing out from the back as is normal these times, you're going to have stupid shit happen to you. It's either you fecked if you do (playing out from the back and passing through a press) and fecked if you don't (clearing your lines, but get accused of giving possession away or having poor distribution when you're just trying to punt the ball forward get the ball played in the middle of the pitch to restart open play).

edcunited1878

Not me and I know there were quite a few like me over here who were cautioning against signing him up and giving him whatever he wanted - stupid wages - because of the kind of keeper he is. Now that it seems like we made a mistake the same numpties who were shitting it and saying that we are penny pinching by not offering him a new deal because he had 'earned it' are now blaming woodward and our awful negotiations. :rolleyes:
United didn't make a mistake on resigning one of the top goalkeepers in the world. United are set on goalkeeping because there's a clear path for Henderson to ultimately take the number 1.

If push comes to shove, United have shown that they will allow a player who can play but not exactly their primary starter leave whether on permanent transfer or loan. Sanchez, Smalling, Lukaku are the examples. I've said it before in another stupid DDG thread...if he seriously because a problem, United can loan him out and eat some of his wages in order to play Henderson or Romero.

The thought that Henderson is currently a ready made replacement for DDG is wrong. Henderson will still need to adapt to being the number 1 goalkeeper for the biggest club in England and continue to improve and sustain a high level for his childhood club. No pressure lad. Then having his sights on the number 1 for England while being number 1 for United?

GiddyUp

I don't understand how people fail to see that Ole can be very ruthless IF he has players that are capable of replacing the underperforming ones.

Lingard, Pereira and Young are the prime examples.
You should have said Fellaini, Lukaku and Sanchez but then none of them have been adequately replaced, even though they were shite.
Of the three you mentioned, one just signed an extension, the other was offered a year extension at the age of 35 and I bet my last penny the other one will be offered an extension.
Ole is not ruthless, neither is Woodward. I really do hope though that the penny has dropped with them and we see some major progress. Otherwise this club would be better served with both gone.

GiddyUp

100%. He's saved our asses too many times to remember. And because he's made more mistakes the past few years, he's getting some shit treatment by too many supporters.

It's a huge assumption that without his mistake on Sunday, United would have gone on to win. It's never that straight forward. Nothing is.

DDG's form is just this. He's going to have these gaffs from time to time now where previously he rarely, if ever (never), had them. And when you're playing out from the back as is normal these times, you're going to have stupid shit happen to you. It's either you fecked if you do (playing out from the back and passing through a press) and fecked if you don't (clearing your lines, but get accused of giving possession away or having poor distribution when you're just trying to punt the ball forward get the ball played in the middle of the pitch to restart open play).
His distribution is pretty poor though. His command of his area is scrapping average and he never gets near a penalty outside of shootouts.
He's been a fantastic servant to the club and super fecking human at times but when he gets a bit slower I don't see him improving on any of the other requirements needed of a goalkeeper hitting mid 30's. Should the club take this risk knowing that or should the club cash in and go with Henderson? If we sounded out PSG I'm sure they would take him.
Regarding his four times player of the year award. Most definitely deserved but it said more about the squad in general then it did about him.
Unfortunately for him that his gaffes have costed us points instead of an easily forgettable feck up in a 4-1 win. Again, a great keeper and a genuinely nice guy but we need a lion and I'm afraid that De Gea is more if a lamb.

Canagel

I’m just baffled there are still people here who rate him. People equal fancy dramatic saves with great goalkeeping. Great goalkeepers most often don’t even have to make those saves.

For a top goalkeeper he is too soft mentally and physically, he has mediocre football intelligence and distribution, and zero attitude and agression. He’s been one of the worst goalkeepers in the league this and last season and it’s no hyperbole. We would be playing UCL currently if Ole benched him for Romero a year ago.
This.

edcunited1878

His distribution is pretty poor though. His command of his area is scrapping average and he never gets near a penalty outside of shootouts.
He's been a fantastic servant to the club and super fecking human at times but when he gets a bit slower I don't see him improving on any of the other requirements needed of a goalkeeper hitting mid 30's. Should the club take this risk knowing that or should the club cash in and go with Henderson? If we sounded out PSG I'm sure they would take him.
Regarding his four times player of the year award. Most definitely deserved but it said more about the squad in general then it did about him.
Unfortunately for him that his gaffes have costed us points instead of an easily forgettable feck up in a 4-1 win. Again, a great keeper and a genuinely nice guy but we need a lion and I'm afraid that De Gea is more if a lamb.
His distribution is average. GK distribution is really overrated. How many goals and possession metrics are actually driven by a GK? I would say not too much. Should he be better, it would be nice but it's not as if he's Chris Smalling levels of distributing/passing out. His command of the area has never been his strongest suit and it's a stick people use to bash him when they want to knock him down just because.

DDG could continue playing in goal for whatever team for a while should he choose. Physically, he's a good build. His reflexes are combined with his positioning and anticipation. Positioning and anticipation, reading of the game, those are things that are always important especially with age. Mentally, he could have been shook but he did make a very class save just after his mistake on Sunday.

When DDG hits his mid 30s, as in when his contract expires (June 2023), he'll be second choice or out of the club. Henderson is contracted to the club through June 2022 with a club option of one year through June 2023.

Regardless of what happens within the next 2 years with David, United are set at goal until that person will have the responsibility of bearing the no 1 gloves.

Tel074

I love this place for mental over the top reactions . Yeah he's been making more mistakes but that is from him being super human for years .
In the summer if we make a decision to sell and bring in someone else then grand but if anyone thinks we should drop him for Romero then you need help

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I like our squad. A lot. I think that with 2 or 3 proven quality players( Sancho, Brozovic, maybe Sandro ) we can attack a title. Even this year we can win something. But if i would go in that route of nitpicking like people do with De Gea in recent months then i could say that we have full back who can't attack, one defender who is weak, second who is slowest defender ever, third who is ultimate disaster and fourth who is mad and injured all the time. We also have midfielders who are not technicaly good, winger who can't beat a player and striker who plays hot and cold. Oh yeah, our best player doesn't want to play for us and our manager is not good enough. And we have also Lingard.

But hey, De Gea is our biggest problem i guess.

RedDevil@84

Is that title change a wum?
Of all the people in the team, keeper should be one of the last to be blamed for missing a CL spot.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Why? Desperation, foolishness, recklessness - take yer pick.

The logical choice would have been not to extend his contract given the nature of the situation. We had a first rate shot stopper who, going into his thirties now, had shown no signs of improving the areas of a goal keeper's game that will keep him in the "world class" bracket beyond a certain point (that is, beyond the point where his exceptional shot stopping ability outweighs his other deficiencies) - and we made him the best paid player in his position in the world (by far).

It's Woodward era decision making par excellence, what else can you say?

The bottom line is this: you don't pay a goal keeper Messi level wages (for his position) unless he's an extreme asset, someone who is undeniably the best in the game in pretty much every relevant sense. De Gea obviously isn't that.

Sure - he's become a target now, a space goat and all that, inevitable really. And an isolated feck-up (Everton) means nothing - any reasonable fan knows this. But Dave has not developed his game - he has multiple glaring weaknesses as a top level keeper: that isn't some sort of illusion promoted by agenda driven "haters", it's objectively true. Can he address these weaknesses? Anything's possible. Is it likely that he will? Oh, dunno about that.
Pretty much this.

With the club in decline DDG delayed extending his contract, and threatened to leave on a free, maybe he felt he should be at a club playing at a higher level. Fair enough, except he himself wasn't playing especially well. He was already, even before the new contract, on a huge salary for a goal keeper, and giving him the same salary would have been generous. It's his right to get what he feels he deserves be it here or elsewhere, and it's the club's duty to make sure they don't overpay. There weren't any clubs that needed a keeper who could pay what we were paying him, and that's before his form is taken into account. I have no idea how he convinced the club to give him that contract.

We've given huge contracts to declining stars (Rooney, Alexis and now DDG) and it doesn't turn out well.

Makes you wonder if the people in charge of negotiating actually know how to negotiate or are capable of learning from their mistakes.

rollingstoned1

United didn't make a mistake on resigning one of the top goalkeepers in the world. United are set on goalkeeping because there's a clear path for Henderson to ultimately take the number 1.

If push comes to shove, United have shown that they will allow a player who can play but not exactly their primary starter leave whether on permanent transfer or loan. Sanchez, Smalling, Lukaku are the examples. I've said it before in another stupid DDG thread...if he seriously because a problem, United can loan him out and eat some of his wages in order to play Henderson or Romero.

The thought that Henderson is currently a ready made replacement for DDG is wrong. Henderson will still need to adapt to being the number 1 goalkeeper for the biggest club in England and continue to improve and sustain a high level for his childhood club. No pressure lad. Then having his sights on the number 1 for England while being number 1 for United?
this isn't exactly smart planning though, if you sign a player on on huge wages either because you miscalculated how important they were or that it would have made bad pr letting them go on subsidized wages either repeatedly out on loan or permanently means you made a mistake and are trying to cut your losses and no one wants to pay your asking rate. You don't usually get to that point without giving that player a lot of chances to prove your suspicions wrong before doing that though. Sanchez is the prime example of what you are saying, previously Rooney too. Smalling and Lukaku have takers for their level and wages so were never going to be a problem. DDG isn't an outfield player and has a contract that prices him out of the market if he is underperforming and we want to let go, that almost certainly means a situation where he lurks around the squad as a backup keeper even if he stinks it up and isn't as good as he used to be for the duration of the contract before being released.

Status
Not open for further replies.