Why was the Palace game rescheduled for tonight?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This has just cropped into my mind this evening and is bugging me

An entire round of games got cancelled, so surely that round of games should all be rescheduled for the same weekend/midweek? You know, in order to "protect the integrity of the league". Especially seeing as the FA/Premier League were under no instruction and had no good reason to cancel any of the games in the first place and just took it upon themselves to do so.

It's effectively handed Arsenal a massive advantage over City and ourselves since City had no advantage against us and now Arsenal have a massive advantage preperation/fatigue wise. Was also very obvious (i thought) that playing city a few days ago affected our energy levels tonight.

Considering Arsenal were already allowed to effectively take it upon themselves to cancel their game against City because it got scheduled at a point that wasn't convenient for them (which frankly is an even bigger load of garbage and pretty unprecedented as far as I'm aware), it seems pretty ridiculous to me to then force other teams into situations that clearly put them at a competitive disadvantage.

Sounds like sour grapes but now I've thought about it I'm genuinely baffled. Is there an explanation I'm missing for why this game absolutely had to be played tonight after it was chosen to be cancelled on the basis there was time to reschedule a round of fixtures?

croadyman

An entire round of games got cancelled, so surely that round of games should all be rescheduled for the same weekend/midweek? You know, in order to "protect the integrity of the league". Especially seeing as the FA/Premier League were under no instruction and had no good reason to cancel any of the games in the first place and just took it upon themselves to do so.

It's effectively handed Arsenal a massive advantage over City and ourselves since City had no advantage against us and now Arsenal have a massive advantage preperation/fatigue wise. Was also very obvious (i thought) that playing city a few days ago affected our energy levels tonight.

Considering Arsenal were already allowed to effectively take it upon themselves to cancel their game against City because it got scheduled at a point that wasn't convenient for them (which frankly is an even bigger load of garbage and pretty unprecedented as far as I'm aware), it seems pretty ridiculous to me to then force other teams into situations that clearly put them at a competitive disadvantage.

Sounds like sour grapes but now I've thought about it I'm genuinely baffled. Is there an explanation I'm missing for why this game absolutely had to be played tonight after it was chosen to be cancelled on the basis there was time to reschedule a round of fixtures?
Yeah apparently they even apologised for putting it on tonight,too late now that the damage has been done for the league

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Because there wouldn't be enough midweeks left if we stay in the cups. We could have ended up with 3 games in a week.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Because there wouldn't be enough midweeks left if we stay in the cups. We could have ended up with 3 games in a week.
So if thats the reason, and they want to keep the league fair, why wasn't the cancelled Arsenal vs City game also tonight?

Wouldn't that have actually made complete sense since that's an additional cancelled fixture to the ones they already have to find room to fit in? Or would that have annoyed Arteta? Is Arteta the one organising these things.

Honestly I'm lost. Its just quite clearly a massive load of bollocks. It's handed one team a hugely unfair and completely avoidable advantage in a title race.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The ABU brigade were livid on Saturday but I’ve long thought we get shafted more often than not. These annoying situations always seem to happen to us.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
So if thats the reason, and they want to keep the league fair, why wasn't the cancelled Arsenal vs City game also tonight?

Wouldn't that have actually made complete sense since that's an additional cancelled fixture to the ones they already have to find room to fit in? Or would that have annoyed Arteta?
They’re both out of the League Cup, and we Also have two additional midweeks taken out because of the Barca games.

Long Time Red

They’re both out of the League Cup, and we Also have two additional midweeks taken out because of the Barca games.
Exactly, there's no conspiracy, had we lost to Everton in the FA Cup we could have played it on an FA weekend.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's fairly straightforward fixture scheduling. They only have certain slots in the season they can fit in re-arranged games, we're still in every competition, so we're going to end up with some awkward fixtures.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
What it's shown is that going out of the Europa to Barcelona wouldn't be the end of the world. This squad won't cope.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Bit rough for City having them play Arsenal tonight and Spurs tomorrow

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't know but City play tomorrow anyway.
Against Spurs, which makes the while thing make even less sense.

clearly they COULD have scheduled the Arsenal vs City game for tomorrow but...as far as I can tell, just didn't want to do anything that might not work out as an advantage for Arsenal?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Bit rough for City having them play Arsenal tonight and Spurs tomorrow
The Spurs game is a rescheduled one. They could (should) be playing Arsenal instead.

The fact they've put Spurs in there instead just makes it even worse. It's knowingly scheduling games to favour one team over another.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We are playing two EL play-off games, Arsenal aren't.
We are playing two Carabao semi legs, Arsenal aren't.
We are potentially playing a Carabao final, Arsenal aren't.

If we reach every final we're already over limit, we won't have enough midweeks left to reschedule the extra games to. If Arsenal reach every final they'll still have several open midweeks.

That old lady dying threw a spanner in the works. Stupid decision by the PL to cancel that round of fixtures. And then the week later, annoyingly we were playing 'a high risk' match against Leeds so there wasn't enough police around since the old lady was getting buried.

Other than that we only have ourselves to blame for not winning the EL group. Playing two extra fixtures and that against Barcelona, totally our own fault. If we won our group, this Palace game would not be played tonight.

There's no conspiracy here.

Samid

The Spurs game is a rescheduled one. They could (should) be playing Arsenal instead.

The fact they've put Spurs in there instead just makes it even worse. It's knowingly scheduling games to favour one team over another.
They couldn't. Spurs and City are playing their CL fixtures on alternating weeks, meaning there are 4 midweeks there where one team is playing and the other isn't. Spurs are playing CL the midweek City-Arse is rescheduled for. Arse had that midweek off because they aren't playing the stupid EL play-off.

Again, there is no conspiracy. These are just simple (yet complicated) logistics.

Fixtures come thick and fast when you're still in every competition. That's how it was for us in the old days too. Just get used to it again.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Problem is you're in europa play off so that's two midweeks taken out of Feb. Arsenal-Man. City is actually scheduled for one of those midweeks.

You're big favourites to make league cup final now so also have to factor in whoever you're playing that weekend is a game that will need to be placed midweek and if you also have a long europa run that becomes very difficult.

Prem just wanted to get the Palace game over with as quickly as possible. I wouldn't say Sat lunch-Weds evening-Sunday afternoon is that taxing a schedule compared to what teams have been asked in the past on re-arranged games.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Against Spurs, which makes the while thing make even less sense.

clearly they COULD have scheduled the Arsenal vs City game for tomorrow but...as far as I can tell, just didn't want to do anything that might not work out as an advantage for Arsenal?
Man. City-Spurs was ironically also a fixture on the weekend that got postponed so at least 2 of the fixtures from those 10 will be played this week. I did think it was suppose to be all ten played in the same midweek but clearly TV got their say and they'll all be staggered randomly over the next few months.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We are playing two EL play-off games, Arsenal aren't.
We are playing two Carabao semi legs, Arsenal aren't.
We are potentially playing a Carabao final, Arsenal aren't.

If we reach every final we're already over limit, we won't have enough midweeks left to reschedule the extra games to. If Arsenal reach every final they'll still have several open midweeks.

That old lady dying threw a spanner in the works. Stupid decision by the PL to cancel that round of fixtures. And then the week later, annoyingly we were playing 'a high risk' match against Leeds so there wasn't enough police around since the old lady was getting buried.

Other than that we only have ourselves to blame for not winning the EL group. Playing two extra fixtures and that against Barcelona, totally our own fault. If we won our group, this Palace game would not be played tonight.

There's no conspiracy here.

I mean, firstly, this really does nothing to explain why us and City are squeezing in games this week, and Arsenal aren't...considering that Arsenal need to play City and City will have CL games next month, so it would make more sense to get the Arsenal game in now and put the Spurs one back. And considering it was Arsenal's fault and own decision that cancelled their game vs City in the first place, so they are the only team in the equation where the "only themselves to blame" consideration can actually apply.

Secondly, on that point, don't agree with this "only ourselves to blame" nonsense. We didn't deliberately finish 2nd in the europa league group and everyone was fully aware that the EL and League cup fixtures existed and that someone would be playing in them. Complete rubbish to try and palm that off as if it's been thrown onto the PL/FA out of nowhere. They cancelled a round of games and stated it was because they were "confident there would be time within the season to reschedule them" ..the idea they wouldn't have been aware Man Utd vs Leeds would require high risk police presence is also laughable.

If someone can give me a valid reason why City are playing Spurs this week and not Arsenal, then it just looks like shite/unfair organisation. If there isn't one then they have knowingly chosen to set up fixtures to significantly favour Arsenal over City (and United if you count us as title contenders). I mean conspiracy or not that's the integrity of the league out the window, I'm afraid.

Maybe don't just casually cancel entire rounds of fixtures if you can't reschedule them in a way that's remotely fair.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Man. City-Spurs was ironically also a fixture on the weekend that got postponed so at least 2 of the fixtures from those 10 will be played this week. I did think it was suppose to be all ten played in the same midweek but clearly TV got their say and they'll all be staggered randomly over the next few months.
They can't have decided the city vs Spurs game until very recently as they'd have needed to wait for the Fa Cup results, so no reason why it couldn't have been City vs Arsenal, which would have been much fairer and had no effect on tv coverage.

You can't let one team dictate if they play their fixtures based on not wanting to be put at a disadvantage, then at the same time screw over their direct rivals in the table and effectively say "tough shite". If thats how it works might as well start handing out bonus/handicap points to teams for "not being Man City"

Samid

If someone can give me a valid reason why City are playing Spurs this week and not Arsenal, then it just looks like shite/unfair organisation. If there isn't one then they have knowingly chosen to set up fixtures to significantly favour Arsenal over City (and United if you count us as title contenders). I mean conspiracy or not that's the integrity of the league out the window, I'm afraid.

Maybe don't just casually cancel entire rounds of fixtures if you can't reschedule them in a way that's remotely fair.
I’ve explained in my other post why City are playing Spurs. Those two can’t face each other in February because of their alternating CL weeks. City-Arse was rescheduled a while back because they found a midweek where both teams were available.

Finding available midweeks for us is a big problem. This Palace game was only confirmed once it was made clear that neither team had a cup replay this midweek. If you didn’t like the timing of this rescheduled match, be aware that the Leeds home match will likely be rescheduled to the 4th round cup replay midweek, assuming neither team gets a replay. Such is the tightness of our schedule, we don’t have any kind of room. We have to play every midweek as long as we are in every competition. And we have to avoid replays at all cost.

Finishing 2nd as a top seed in a EL group and giving ourselves two extra fixtures is our own fault. Just like if we draw against Everton or Reading in the FA cup and give ourselves pointless replays, that’s also our own fault. We should be finishing ahead of Sociedad 10/10 times. We need to start becoming more streetsmart about these things. One extra goal in the final home game against that piss poor team and we’d win the group. No two-legger vs Barca and no rush to play the Palace match tonight.

The cancelling of the rounds was a farce and should never have happened. I don’t get why you guys worship the royals so much but that’s probably for another thread.

McTerminator

So many of you so determined to show how reasonable you are by pointing out the difficulty in rescheduling this game while we remain in the cups, but answer me this… how do you defend the FA for cancelling these games on a perfectly good game week in the first place?

EDIT: just seen that Samid pretty much made the point in the post before mine.

AlPistacho

What it's shown is that going out of the Europa to Barcelona wouldn't be the end of the world. This squad won't cope.
Nope. The limitations of the squad and how it holds back the progress being made by the manager is exactly what needs to be shown to the board

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I’ve explained in my other post why City are playing Spurs. Those two can’t face each other in February because of their alternating CL weeks. City-Arse was rescheduled a while back because they found a midweek where both teams were available.

Finding available midweeks for us is a big problem. This Palace game was only confirmed once it was made clear that neither team had a cup replay this midweek. If you didn’t like the timing of this rescheduled match, be aware that the Leeds home match will likely be rescheduled to the 4th round cup replay midweek, assuming neither team gets a replay. Such is the tightness of our schedule, we don’t have any kind of room. We have to play every midweek as long as we are in every competition. And we have to avoid replays at all cost.

Finishing 2nd as a top seed in a EL group and giving ourselves two extra fixtures is our own fault. Just like if we draw against Everton or Reading in the FA cup and give ourselves pointless replays, that’s also our own fault. We should be finishing ahead of Sociedad 10/10 times. We need to start becoming more streetsmart about these things. One extra goal in the final home game against that piss poor team and we’d win the group. No two-legger vs Barca and no rush to play the Palace match tonight.

The cancelling of the rounds was a farce and should never have happened. I don’t get why you guys worship the royals so much but that’s probably for another thread.
So many of you so determined to show how reasonable you are by pointing out the difficulty in rescheduling this game while we remain in the cups, but answer me this… how do you defend the FA for cancelling these games on a perfectly good game week in the first place?

EDIT: just seen that Samid pretty much made the point in the post before mine.
So the nation shouldn't have given the Queen a state funeral and the public shouldn't be allowed to congregate in London to mourn her passing?

McTerminator

So the nation shouldn't have given the Queen a state funeral and the public shouldn't be allowed to congregate in London to mourn her passing?
People can congregate wherever they want to mourn her passing, like at a football game.

The FA should not have cancelled those games.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
People can congregate wherever they want to mourn her passing, like at a football game.

The FA should not have cancelled those games.
Actually, if I recall correctly, the games were cancelled at the request of the police who said they didn't have the resources to police everything

Pintu

We did this to ourselves... Unlike Arsenal, we couldn't didn't win our group in the EL, forcing us to play the Barcelona games (2 extra games compared to CL sides, and EL group winners.) And on top of that we booked 2 games in the Carabo Cup by qualifying for the semifinal (Arsenal freed themselves from it)...

RedStarUnited

in a season with the world cup in the middle and thr queen passing, the FA should have restricted the carabao cup to 1 game in the semis.

A two legged semi is stupid.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This is the consequence for not winning our EL group. Worse thing is we’re gonna have to field a strong team for that game as it’s against Barca so the prem games after that we’ll be tired and could drop more points.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
in a season with the world cup in the middle and thr queen passing, the FA should have restricted the carabao cup to 1 game in the semis.

I agree. Makes no sense in an already packed fixture schedule.

kps88

We should be grateful to get our rescheduled fixtures out of the way. It's bad luck with it being before the Arsenal game but the alterative is something crazy like a Tuesday-Thursday-Sunday week towards the end of the season.

croadyman

This is the consequence for not winning our EL group. Worse thing is we’re gonna have to field a strong team for that game as it’s against Barca so the prem games after that we’ll be tired and could drop more points.
Yeah we should have hammered Nicosia and Sheriff at home but not ruthless AGAIN

croadyman

We should be grateful to get our rescheduled fixtures out of the way. It's bad luck with it being before the Arsenal game but the alterative is something crazy like a Tuesday-Thursday-Sunday week towards the end of the season.
I am not in the least bit grateful at all when Premier League have royally screwed us

Amir

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports

What do the FA have to do with the Carabao Cup?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
It is annoying that, since the WC, we’ve played nearly twice as many games as Arsenal. It definitely showed yesterday and I don’t see how it won’t be even more evident on Sunday.