Why would Pogba want to leave United now?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He'll mope around for one more year, giving his customary 1 good performance every 7 games before he fecks off on a free to PSG for €750,000 a week.

Jibbs

He's not winning the PL/CL here in the next 3 years imo. At board level we aren't ambitious, we don't want to be the best and so we won't be. Year on year we do not address the deficiencies in our squad and so I can understand why, at 28 he would want to compete for the biggest trophies. There arent many better midfielders in the world, yet there are many better football teams than United.
It does not seem like that with our spending in last 7,8 years. Incompetent yes, unambitious no. More than the board it is management which is more incompetent.

Infra-red

I assume the goal now is a free transfer next summer - obviously the perfect outcome for Pogba and Raiola (as they'd both make a killing in signing on fees), but it will be really disappointing for United.

We need to find a buyer asap - a good showing at the Euros will definitely help us.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Hope he signs a new deal, but if he doesnt I would accept any semi decent offer as Pogba will offer us zero next season knowing he cant get injured.

DanClancy

There'll be so called United fans still defending him when he leaves the club for free next summer for the 2nd time, he's the biggest c**t who's ever played for the club.

Coops73

There'll be so called United fans still defending him when he leaves the club for free next summer for the 2nd time, he's the biggest c**t who's ever played for the club.
I agree, I suspect he’s hanging out for a free transfer. Absolutely no respect for this club in my opinion, I hope, though doubt, we can get rid this summer.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I assume the goal now is a free transfer next summer - obviously the perfect outcome for Pogba and Raiola (as they'd both make a killing in signing on fees), but it will be really disappointing for United.

We need to find a buyer asap - a good showing at the Euros will definitely help us.
Why would any club buy him when he is available for free next summer? He will ask for big wages and big sign on fee regardless.

MadMike

What do United do as a club, or basically any club to earn or deserve the "loyalty" from players? I wonder. Do club show any loyalty to players as well when the players pass their best year with long contract, and not kick them out?
I don't know, let's ask Phil Jones...

MadMike

Why would any club buy him when he is available for free next summer? He will ask for big wages and big sign on fee regardless.
Because they'd be getting their player a year earlier. I guess it depends how much value they assign to that.

It might also mean having less clubs to compete against for his signature next year. Although there's only 4-5 clubs that could potentially sign him anyway, so not sure that changes much anyway.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
What do United do as a club, or basically any club to earn or deserve the "loyalty" from players? I wonder. Do club show any loyalty to players as well when the players pass their best year with long contract, and not kick them out?
Is his leaving on a free then buying him back for 90 million and paying him 290k a week while he was injured (for 450 days) and inconsistent/playing in second gear a lot of the time not loyalty? Was firing Jose when he wanted to sell him because they fell out not loyalty? Or selling Lukaku after they also supposedly fell out? Or signing expensive players to get the best out of him who eventually copped the lions share of the blame for his fluctuating performances? Or staying positive and consistently bigging him and his talent up while his family and agent dragged the name of the club down every chance they could get, is that not loyalty?

We’ve absolutely kept our side of the deal as far as I’m concerned. Anyone who thinks we’ve somehow let him down and not the other way around is mad. That’s supporting a player over the club. Hopefully if he genuinely still wants to leave he’ll take the financial hit and let us get some cash back on him this year or sign a contract that lets us get a fee in the future. If he stays and walks on a free for the second time you’ll still have people taking his side and supporting him right up to the second he leaves and beyond and that’s just crazy to me. We’ve been great with him in hindsight. Sign a contract or demand to leave this summer.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If he'll sign the contract, chances are he's staying till the end of his career, no surprise he can have 2nd thoughts and better for him if he'll think about it after big tournament.

People are fast with selling him without the club needing time to secure proper or even better replacement, it will take time as United doesn't deal with astounding pace on the market. We would have to reach the agreement before pre-season so the player won't end up like Donny.

We could still use additional midfielder this window with or without Pogba in the squad, so it could mean even more dealing with other clubs trying to reach agreement.

monosierra

Well he definitely has a better chance of winning domestic trophies in Spain, Italy, or France where there aren't 6 contenders for much of the season.

redmanx

He'll mope around for one more year, giving his customary 1 good performance every 7 games before he fecks off on a free to PSG for €750,000 a week.
I think so too, but I did hear somewhere that hes been offered £400.000 a week to sign a new 4 year contract; surely they cant be considering this, with a contract like that we'll never get another half decent performance from him. We should sell him and use the money and the money we save on his wages, £250.000 a week I believe, and buy players who actually want to play for the club! It seems hes having a decent Euros so hopefully we can get a good price for him, because even if he wins the best player award and another winners medal it wont change how he performs for us.

redmanx

Is his leaving on a free then buying him back for 90 million and paying him 290k a week while he was injured (for 450 days) and inconsistent/playing in second gear a lot of the time not loyalty? Was firing Jose when he wanted to sell him because they fell out not loyalty? Or selling Lukaku after they also supposedly fell out? Or signing expensive players to get the best out of him who eventually copped the lions share of the blame for his fluctuating performances? Or staying positive and consistently bigging him and his talent up while his family and agent dragged the name of the club down every chance they could get, is that not loyalty?

We’ve absolutely kept our side of the deal as far as I’m concerned. Anyone who thinks we’ve somehow let him down and not the other way around is mad. That’s supporting a player over the club. Hopefully if he genuinely still wants to leave he’ll take the financial hit and let us get some cash back on him this year or sign a contract that lets us get a fee in the future. If he stays and walks on a free for the second time you’ll still have people taking his side and supporting him right up to the second he leaves and beyond and that’s just crazy to me. We’ve been great with him in hindsight. Sign a contract or demand to leave this summer.
Well said.

Ace

Such a beast for France. I would love if we could get him a proper midfield partner to compliment him.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well he definitely has a better chance of winning domestic trophies in Spain, Italy, or France where there aren't 6 contenders for much of the season.
There are 6 title contenders in England? The league has been won by Chelsea or Manchester City 6 times in the last 8 seasons. It’s really not as open as people make out.

redmanx

And that I think is a lot of Pogbas problem; he seems to think that no opposition player should tackle him and that he should be allowed to take his time, but the game here is much faster than in Europe and players dont let him have that time. Also, in France, Italy, Spain and Germany the the top teams have it pretty much their own way whereas here any lower or mid table Premiership team can beat the so called top teams at any given time. I dont think Pogba can handle the fast pace or the sheer competitiveness of Premier League football.

He'sRaldo

And that I think is a lot of Pogbas problem; he seems to think that no opposition player should tackle him and that he should be allowed to take his time, but the game here is much faster than in Europe and players dont let him have that time. Also, in France, Italy, Spain and Germany the the top teams have it pretty much their own way whereas here any lower or mid table Premiership team can beat the so called top teams at any given time. I dont think Pogba can handle the fast pace or the sheer competitiveness of Premier League football.
I doubt someone who's featured in the team of the season struggles with the pace of the league.

cyril C

Such a beast for France. I would love if we could get him a proper midfield partner to compliment him.
He already has a perfect partner called Riola, who always get him an extra quid plus a few million for himself of course.

SeeMe

Supports
Porto
He's not winning the PL/CL here in the next 3 years imo. At board level we aren't ambitious, we don't want to be the best and so we won't be. Year on year we do not address the deficiencies in our squad and so I can understand why, at 28 he would want to compete for the biggest trophies. There arent many better midfielders in the world, yet there are many better football teams than United.
I couldn't understand what do you mean by aren't ambitious? Our spending is 2nd in the leagues for the last 5 years, only oil money we can not catch.

KD6-3.7

Yes this is part of the issue. Of course most on this forum won’t admit it but we’ve never had an actual world class CDM with him and a past it Matic doesn’t count.

redmanx

I doubt someone who's featured in the team of the season struggles with the pace of the league.
Which "team of the season" are you referring to? Ive looked at several nominations for the team of the season, including the PFAs, Sky, BT Sport, and several others and Pogba isnt mentioned. Luke Shaw is the United player mentioned most. Pogba has hardly done enough to warrant a mention in a list of the Prems top 50 players.

AgentSmith

Which "team of the season" are you referring to? Ive looked at several nominations for the team of the season, including the PFAs, Sky, BT Sport, and several others and Pogba isnt mentioned. Luke Shaw is the United player mentioned most. Pogba has hardly done enough to warrant a mention in a list of the Prems top 50 players.
Pogba was in the PFA Team of the Year for the 18/19 season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
2018-19 he was in team of the season.

jesperjaap

Why should we care whether he wants to stay or not anyway? it isnt what Pogba wants it is what we want as a club that should decide his fate and that for me certaily isnt to pay him £400k a week over the next four seasons for his week in week out performances and even more certianly isnt to allow him to affect the dressing room knowing they have a player who wants to leave for a big fat pay cheque on a free transfer which isnt a team man......we should certinaly be selling him, even for £30m for me talent, performances for France are compeltely irrelevant to what he does for our club, which isnt bad by a long way, lets not pretend he isnt one of our better players even not playing well....but that really isnt the point, he is a million miles from unsellable to hold the club to ransom, bye bye

redmanx

Why should we care whether he wants to stay or not anyway? it isnt what Pogba wants it is what we want as a club that should decide his fate and that for me certaily isnt to pay him £400k a week over the next four seasons for his week in week out performances and even more certianly isnt to allow him to affect the dressing room knowing they have a player who wants to leave for a big fat pay cheque on a free transfer which isnt a team man......we should certinaly be selling him, even for £30m for me talent, performances for France are compeltely irrelevant to what he does for our club, which isnt bad by a long way, lets not pretend he isnt one of our better players even not playing well....but that really isnt the point, he is a million miles from unsellable to hold the club to ransom, bye bye
I agree, Pogba has at best given a handfull of decent performances since returning, hes not worth that sort of money and certainly not worth the hassle he gives.

jesperjaap

I agree, Pogba has at best given a handfull of decent performances since returning, hes not worth that sort of money and certainly not worth the hassle he gives.
Yes of course a lot of it can just be press talk. But the suggestion we are pandering to Pogba and such a huge contract based solely upon his performances overall during the period he has been hereis actually saddening.

Though it doesnt look like a good move by us now, you can understand the huge contract offer to DeGea, he was our player of the season for a few years in a row and putting in world class performances consistently for THIS club, not France or his past teams THIS club.

Pogba is obviously talented, has produced sublime moments and some great performances and still been one of our better players during a poor period.......but £80-100m over the next 4/5 years from the coffers for him to stay or £40-50m to sell him now, how can anybody justify that it is a good decision for Pogba to stay for up to or around £150m rather than go.....especially when he will be in his mid thirties and probably hold realtively little value towards the end of that period

CG1010

United have backed themselves into a corner with this one...terrible planning again to let it get to the summer and not have him signed up.

With the Euro's happening in the summer United could have used that as leverage and simply stopped playing him in the first team until he signed or publicly asked to leave.
The thing is the club itself hasn't been able to make up their mind if they want to sign Pogba for another few years on large money. They probably wanted to sell last summer but there was no buyer at a good price.

Counterfactual

The thing is the club itself hasn't been able to make up their mind if they want to sign Pogba for another few years on large money. They probably wanted to sell last summer but there was no buyer at a good price.
I agree, and it probably explains the purchase and then benching of van de Beek.

redmanx

Yes of course a lot of it can just be press talk. But the suggestion we are pandering to Pogba and such a huge contract based solely upon his performances overall during the period he has been hereis actually saddening.

Though it doesnt look like a good move by us now, you can understand the huge contract offer to DeGea, he was our player of the season for a few years in a row and putting in world class performances consistently for THIS club, not France or his past teams THIS club.

Pogba is obviously talented, has produced sublime moments and some great performances and still been one of our better players during a poor period.......but £80-100m over the next 4/5 years from the coffers for him to stay or £40-50m to sell him now, how can anybody justify that it is a good decision for Pogba to stay for up to or around £150m rather than go.....especially when he will be in his mid thirties and probably hold realtively little value towards the end of that period
Agreed, Pogbas performances since his return cannot be compared to those of DDG who, as you say, was our top player for several seasons on the bounce. DDG earned the big contract he was given because of his outstanding consistency and reliability, playing for Manchester United, something which cannot be said about Pogba. Yes, Pogba is talented, supremely so, and has, sometimes, produced moments of quality and brilliance, but never on anything like a consistent level. United are still in a transitory period and will be hard pressed to win either the Prem or Champions League next season; the FA Cup may be our best hope of silverware. That being the case, if Pogba wants to win the big tournaments soon he really needs to go; but if he really wants to stay and become a fixture, the first name on the team sheet, and prove his worth to his many doubters, Pogba is going to have to concentrate on his game and being a Manchester United player and perform, consistently, at a much higher level than has been the norm for him for far too long. But maybe he simply wants to see out the full term of his current contract and leave on a "free" with his new club giving him a contract worth mega bucks. But for his sake, I hope he has a bit more ambition than that.