Why would Pogba want to leave United now?

peridigm

Like many, I wouldnt mind if he left tbh. But if he stays we should be building the team around him as he's our best player.
Why would you not mind if our “best player” left? I don’t think he’s our best player by a long shot.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Why would you not mind if our “best player” left? I don’t think he’s our best player by a long shot.
Because I don't think he wants to be here. There are quite a few players on this team I wouldn't mind if they left, regardless of how talented they are

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
9 pages. One answer. Money and Medals.
I have to say, I was skeptical about the prospects of this thread. I figured it would be pretty short - but I was clearly wrong.

You could simplify it even further when take into account that United aren’t exactly known for being stingy with wages.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
He was really good today except for a 5-minute period in the 2nd half he lost the ball about 4 possessions in a row. Otherwise, pure class and I don't know why some here want to sell him. If we had a Kante-like player as DM, Pogba and Bruno could be a great duo.

It's not really Kante you want playing as a DM in a midfield three with Pogba and Bruno in front. More of a Fabinho/Fernandinho/Casemiro type that holds his position.

Kante is someone you play as a CM in a two to turn it into a three, because he's essentially a cheat code in that role.

Bondi77

So long as he plays well for France at least that keeps his value up if we sell him this summer.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I have to say, I was skeptical about the prospects of this thread. I figured it would be pretty short - but I was clearly wrong.

You could simplify it even further when take into account that United aren’t exactly known for being stingy with wages.
I don't think it's about money, I think it's more about Pogba being the star attraction, the main man. I feel he needs to be wanted & loved and doesn't get that vibe at Manchester.

reddevilz007

Are you trying to make a pertinent point?

Apart from the fact he was a beast in tackles today, Pogba has always been an attacking player.
So how do you fit him in our team?
Why isnt he putting these kind of performance with us?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He was really good today except for a 5-minute period in the 2nd half he lost the ball about 4 possessions in a row. Otherwise, pure class and I don't know why some here want to sell him. If we had a Kante-like player as DM, Pogba and Bruno could be a great duo.
As good as he is and as good as he can be, it's been 5 years of his agent and his brothers saying he wants out. It's tiresome. I'd love for him to commit and for his entourage to shut up, but it won't happen. He's probably going to leave for free, again.

Nickelodeon

It's written in the stars. He left us on a free, we spent a world record fee to get him and he left on a free again.

The only reason he will do that is also to maintain a (mostly exaggerated) image of him being an elite level player. When he leaves on a free next year, he can command a huge salary as there wouldn't be a transfer fee involved (similar to how it happened for Ramsey). Had his contract not been expiring right now, I doubt anyone would be lining up a 50M+ fee plus 300k+ a week a salary for him. He's good but he's not crazy money good. In the rare circumstances that he really s*its the bed this season and doesn't generate a lot of interest for big money, he knows we can offer him a huge contract too so we can try to save our 'big club image' where we overpay our aging stars like Rooney and De Gea.

Regardless, we're unlikely to come out looking good from this saga.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
So how do you fit him in our team?
Why isnt he putting these kind of performance with us?
We have the template from OGS's first few months. Unfortunately, I think it's too late now and Bruno's roaming role, verging on headless chicken sometimes, is incompatible with Pogba having the license to attack.

Unless you get a Kante-like midfielder but I don't think that's possible.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Even if he signs a new contract he (presumably through his agent) will be yaking about moving again by the new year. Sorry, but I'm done with him. I can barely remember one game against "lesser" sides when he's bossed the midfield. By way of contrast, I can barely remember one when Keano didn't. World class, I think not - neither in performance nor attitude

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I think if we want to be a top team then we need to keep our best players and Pogba has shown time and time again that he's a much better player than we often see here. People can take the easy route out and say he doesn't look arsed sometimes but his performances at Juventus and France, and occasionally us, are a testament to just how good he can be (especially last night). Personally I don't think the club comes out of the situation well because if we're not willing to buy a player to support him properly (by buying a tenacious CDM, which we need anyway) then we're just as unambitious as he thinks we are.

And in that case, yes, he may as well leave.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

If Pogba (that means France) have a good Euro's, then he will be off to PSG or Real Madrid if a decent price can be found by the Club. The transfer fees are potentially burning a hole in his agents pocket; but not sure what the situation is if he goes on a free? Probably better for player his last big pay day looming, not sure for Agent....how can he get a cut of a non existent fee?

Paul may return to France, to PSG but somehow I doubt it, he cannot get away with this typical Gallic behaviour when he's on home turf! Madrid wont want to pay our asking price and will wait for his contract to run out, next year.
Do we think he's worth a 'shitload' of additional cash for 5 years?.... on past and indeed present showing...no!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's simple really, if we want to be a top team then we need to keep our best players and Pogba has shown time and time again that he's a much better player than we often see here. People can take the easy route out and say he doesn't look arsed sometimes but his performances at Juventus and France, and occasionally us, are a testament to just how good he can be. Personally I don't think the club comes out of it well because if we're not willing to buy a player to support him properly (by buying a tenacious CDM) then we're just as unambitious as he thinks we are. And in that case, yes, he may as well leave.
I don't know if it's a lack of ambition. Even if you ignore Pogba. Since 2013 United has mainly been without a commanding CB, an actual right side attacker, an actual ball winning CM, an actual playmaker/maestro and an actual top class striker. We have spent a fortune and mainly didn't address our flaws or even picked a road. If you take the ball winning CM versus playmaking CM, there is almost no way to be a top team without having one of those but for some strange reason we have mainly preferred to go with all actions/undefined players.

I don't want to say that we have been incompetent in terms of squad building but we have definitely been hesitant and never committed ourselves to a tactical approach. We have a team full of jack of all trades, master of none.

Last edited:

el3mel

I don't understand the purpose of such quotes. If you have a problem with the style the team plays and your position, talk to the manager in private, you clown.

Maticmaker

Unless you get a Kante-like midfielder but I don't think that's possible.
Yes, would break the bank for that guy, whatever he wants give it to him, whatever Chelsea wants give it to them, this player should have been at OT four years ago.
Whilst we're at it Varane, Haarland and Sancho,would also do nicely, but Kante is no.1 go to guy!

JPRouve

Scout
I don't understand the purpose of such quotes. If you have a problem with the style the team plays and your position, talk to the manager in private, you clown.
Who told you that he has a problem with the style the team plays? Why would he talk to his manager about Vieira's opinion on where he should or shouldn't play?

RedorDead21

As good as he is and as good as he can be, it's been 5 years of his agent and his brothers saying he wants out. It's tiresome. I'd love for him to commit and for his entourage to shut up, but it won't happen. He's probably going to leave for free, again.
Imagine. They’ve done really well out of this club. Not so certain we’ve done so well out of them.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Agreed. We pay top whack. But a world class player on a ‘free’ gets paid about double. We may pay £200/250/350. But his agent will get him £400/500/700 if he signs somewhere for free.

el3mel

Who told you that he has a problem with the style the team plays? Why would he talk to his manager about Vieira's opinion on where he should or shouldn't play?
The quotes he said.

When asked about what it’s like playing for France, Pogba added: “We play in 4-2-3-1, also a diamond. I am a little more in the transmission, in the construction. But I have more freedom than in Manchester to enter the box, to make runs forwards.

“At the same time, when you have Griezmann, Kylian, you don’t want to enter their spaces, you don’t need to.”

Pogba admitted he would like to play more offensively for Man Utd but stressed the importance of the team over any individual.

The France midfielder continued: “…I would like to play more offensive [laughs]. To score fifteen goals per season is what I would like.
If this isn't a clear complaints about the difference in style of play and his position between both teams then I don't know what it's.

JPRouve

Scout
The quotes he said.

If this isn't a clear complaints about the difference in style of play and his position between both teams then I don't know what it's.
It wasn't a complaint and it's not the full quotes either. It was a three page interview between Vieira and Pogba. And the question was about the difference between Juventus and France/United, Vieira says that he particularly liked Pogba in the role he had at Juventus and then ask him what is the difference in terms of instructions with United and France compared to what he was asked to do at Juventus.

Last edited:

OL29

It wasn't a complaint and it's not the full quotes either. It was a three page interview between Vieira and Pogba. And the question was about the difference between Juventus and France/Unite, Vieira says that he particularly liked Pogba in the role he had at Juventus and then ask him what is the difference in terms of instructions with United and France compared to what he was asked to do at Juventus.
He even clarified that he’s happy to do what’s best for the team, regardless.

Ekeke

Same reason as always money and success. If he gets an offer of one or both thats beyond United then he's been here a while now, he'd probably be open to it. The Spanish clubs have tended to bounce back faster than us when they have had a bad season or two and I bet most neutrals would suggest that will be the same again. The Spanish giants always seem to have a top level of lure even when they arent doing well. For example when Ronaldinho went to Barcelona they needed a rebuild and he was the catalyst for the start of their success again.

el3mel

It wasn't a complaint and it's not the full quotes either. It was a three page interview between Vieira and Pogba. And the question was about the difference between Juventus and France/United, Vieira says that he particularly liked Pogba in the role he had at Juventus and then ask him what is the difference in terms of instructions with United and France compared to what he was asked to do at Juventus.
And his response implied that he preferred the way he played with Juve and France in comparison to United.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't want to say that we have incompetent in terms of squad building but we have definitely been hesitant and never committed ourselves to a tactical approach. We have a team full of jack of all trades, master of none.
This is partly due to hiring managers with wildly different philosophies every season or two. Hopefully having Murtough in place will improve the direction of our scouting and signings.

Commentary

I keep getting the impression that United have no desire to resign him.

If they did, they would be chasing down a central defensive midfielder like Declan Rice to make Pogba happy, instead of Sancho.

The Glazer's probably want him off the books, and Ole doesn't seem to be his biggest fan. He plays him off the left so he can rely on Fred and McTominay...not exactly world class partners for Pogba.

I think everyone's hunch that Van De Beek was brought in for when Pogba leaves will turn out to be correct.

el3mel

80m Euro doesn't seem that much.

Can see PSG paying it if true.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
There should be much celebration when this constant complainer and attention seeker finally goes. We won’t ever have to look at more threads like this one, full of disrespectful quotes and nonsense from a player who doesn’t contribute enough to think so highly of himself

The problem is, where will the money go? If we sell Pogba and Lingard and buy a Grealish or a Ndidi, then sell tomorrow.

My worry is we will sell Pogba and Lingard and spend £40 million on Trippier and an average squad player.

Do it, absolutely do it, he doesn’t have any respect or love for the club. But do it right and make it count. Give us Sancho and another player who will really make a difference and we will be better for it.

Dan_F

If he's intent on not signing getting that kind of figure would be a good bit of business imo.
I’d say so too. We’ve gotten 5 years out of him and would still be getting most of his transfer fee back.

Judas

Open to offers
Wouldn't care as long as we bought a replacement, but I wouldn't trust us, I can see us selling him then going into next season a man down in a key area.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Hope a decent offer comes in and we part ways. Would be surprised if anyone would pay €80m for him but if they were offering that we should bite their hands off.

Commentary

Reading Pogba's latest interview on Juventus, it's becoming clear that he wants to leave sooner than later.

I'm probably reading to much into the interview, but the way he spoke so highly of Juventus's training grounds left me with the impression that he's not that impressed with United's. (Rumours have been abound that it is not top quality tactics and training at United)

Yes he has an attitude, but at the end of the day I blame the Glazer's for purchasing a club they can't afford the upkeep on. United is no longer the big fish in the sea, and Pogba wants to win trophies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There's at least 4 reasons why he should leave United

A- He would make huge money out of it
B- He could join a top club who can win important honours
C- He could join a properly run club whose got a real manager and top coaches. These people could get the best out of him in the same way Juventus and France did/does
D- He would leave a country where pundits basically blame him of everything.

It would be interested to see who will be the next scapegoat once the likes of Pogba and DDG leave to be replaced by the likes of Henderson, Trippier, Sancho and Rice

Last edited:

lilcurt

There's at least 4 reasons why he should leave United

A- He would make huge money out of it
B- He could join a top club who can win important honours
C- He could join a properly run club whose got a real manager and top coaches. These people could get the best out of him in the same way Juventus and France did/does
D- He would leave a country where pundits basically blame him of everything.

It would be interested to see who will be the next scapegoat once the likes of Pogba and DDG leave to be replaced by the likes of Henderson, Trippier, Sancho and Rice
B and C are massive.

If I was a top talent reaching perhaps my last big contract. I'd be thinking how can I stack the odds in my favour to win some serious honours.

Continuing with an unproven manager and coaches who have spent 2.5 seasons to hit the dizzy heights of finishing in the same league position as the previous manager and somehow deluding the fanbase its progress... I'd bounce.

It would ultimately come down to does the ambition of the club match my talent.