Why would Pogba want to leave United now?

Chicharito_

I've had a think about it and every possible move for him will be worse off than staying at United imo.

The two Spanish giants - Barcelona in complete disarray with financial problems that will make it hard for them to compete moving forward in the next 2-3 years. Real Madrid who have an ageing squad that is in need of a complete rebuild.

Does Paul really want to go to one of these sides where he will have to start another rebuild? He's just had 5 years of that at United and now we finally seem to be coming out the other side with a young team coming into their primes and well positioned to challenge for major trophies if not this year then definitely next year.

Juventus is another squad that will need a rebuild very soon and they have won 9 league titles in a row, so you join them and win a league then nobody cares because they are so used to that. Imagine Paul winning a league with United and being a major influence in that team, not only are you winning the most competitive league in the world and completing the journey of putting United back on top of English football but he will become a hero at the club despite what's happened in the past.

The only one could be PSG and their quest for the CL, but I've always thought moving to PSG would be such a dull move. They care about one competition a year and their whole season will be reliant on how they do in the CL as pretty much everything else is a given. Fair play if you want to collect monster wages and do that but I think/hope Paul has more to him than this and completing the journey he set out to do when signing in 2016 of putting United back on top of world football is the motivation and challenge he needs.

This is the most exciting it's been post Fergie at United, why would he leave now?

Mindhunter

I think he made it pretty clear. He isn't going to be happy if we don't win anything. He will probably leave next summer if we finish trophyless.

RedDevilzFox

Honestly, for once, we should sell a player when their stock is high like right now for Pogba. We may get a decent fee and buy someone who wants to be here and doesn't have his agent spewing venom every 3 months. In other words, lets learn something from Chelsea.

dinostar77

Hes not signing a new contract and said he wants to leave. Has to be this summer or an free then summer after next. Footballers have short careers, if he wants to go play for Real Madrid then let him and thank him for his services to the club. Job done. As long as utd get a fair price, which im guessing will be between £60-£80mil.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Give Raiola one reason for Pogba to stay, he'll give you three for him to leave...

sugar_kane

Out of all potential moves I could see PSG appealing, Poch is managing there (I'm not one of those Poch obsessives but working with him will be attractive to some) and it's home town. They've got the financial backing, the prospect of bossing the league every week, playing with Neymar and Mbappe and aiming for the Champions League could appeal.

arthurka

Let him get us the title or help. The sell him while his stock is high.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I heard somewhere that he just isn't a huge fan of the actual city of Manchester.
I heard that on a podcast but I’ve also heard he actually really likes Manchester and he’s spent a lot of his time here so it would be weird if he didn’t have an attachment to it by now.

Gator Nate

Raiola makes his money on transfer action. He tries to get his players moved every two or three years. Pogba is in a unique situation here in multiple ways. It's kind of hard for him to "move up" because he's at a big club and all of the other big clubs are having their own financial struggles. Add to that the fact that United are moving back up the ladder among those clubs performance-wise, where many of the others are slipping.

Pogba's going to have to think a lot longer and a lot harder on this now. I just wish he'd dump Mino for any other agent.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He wants to challenge for the trophies regularly. United haven't challenged for the important trophies in 7.5 years. Other clubs even through transition have proven that their transition periods are incredibly small and still challenge for these trophies and don't accept being on the outskirts for a few years. United is hugely improved this season and everyone's positive about us, but we also got knocked out of the CL group stage, lost in the semi's of the league cup without too much fuss to City, and assuming City wins their game in hand would be 2nd in the league. Current United that is a huge plus. Its basically like the 11/12 season which wasn't that good in the end... thats the difference though. When you're at the top as a club, you have higher standards. Pogba wants to be at a club who has been a top club for the past few years and probably will remain there for the next few, not one fighting to possibly hope to get in.

dinostar77

Im sure i read somewhere zidane wanted a french spine for his Madrid team next season. Varane-Pogba-Mbappe would give him that.

Shimo

I've questioned why he'd want to leave for a while or if any place makes sense for him.

As you said the 2 Spanish teams are an absolute mess and if he goes there and doesn't transform them into instant winners/world beaters, he is going to get it in the neck from fans and the papers. From a personal brand perspective though either club would be great for him.

Juve, well he has been there done that, maybe he might like the life there but, don't think his brand will do that great there. Don't see them challenging for the CL anytime soon either. Plus I don't think they'll pay the wages he'd want - he isn't going to be the one to get your 20-30 goals a season.

PSG - he'd win leaagues/cups and might challenge for the CL but, for 80% of a season, no one is going to be writing about him even if he is doing well enough in the league/domestic cups. Only during CL will he be really noticed. They are

For me the only club that would make sense for him to leave for would be Bayern. Somewhat competitive league right now and will always challenge for the CL. Think they'll pay well enough and he's still be visible in the world wide media to a degree.

Arrogant as it sounds, the Premier League is made for him - it is probably the most written about, United are right up there in terms of media attention. We will pay as well as anyone else and we are building a quality team. Despite all that negativity about his social persona, all the coaches and all the players speak highly of his dedication and the influence he has on and off the pitch including the academy players. I think does identify as a Manchester United player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
United fans need to understand that this staying ‘for the next 10 years’ is mot an obligation for a player, and wanting to leave a club is not necessarily a slight or an insult. Just because Scholes and Neville were happy to spend their entire careers doing the exact same thing over and over again doesn’t make it necessarily the norm.

My guess is Pogba wants to experience something new. Yes, he could commit to United ‘for the rest of his career’, as we seem to want for most good young players - but a footballers career is short and that would deprive them of opportunity to try things.

Totally guessing, but I reckon Pogba felt he had won what he wanted to win at Juve, and now wanted to come and win the PL at United, which he missed out on with his departure. He probably thought he could do that in a few years, and then go and try his hand in La Liga. Of course, it hasn’t happened so far, but at a point you may decided it isn’t going to happen and you won’t spend the rest of your career trying and just move to the next phase.

I mean, why would Thiago want to leave Bayern? Are they not a strong team? Why does Alaba want to leave? I think there are some players who want to try as many things as they can in their career. Perhaps he’d want to go to Spain and then still have some time left for the US after even.

Diabovermelho

Maybe he's tired of the british media, or just want a new challenge. But then again, United can offer a salary that few clubs in the world can, and we are hopefully back in being title contenders, so who knows. I just hope that if the club sells him, then use the money to bring Grealish.

RashyForPM

I've questioned why he'd want to leave for a while or if any place makes sense for him.

As you said the 2 Spanish teams are an absolute mess and if he goes there and doesn't transform them into instant winners/world beaters, he is going to get it in the neck from fans and the papers. From a personal brand perspective though either club would be great for him.

Juve, well he has been there done that, maybe he might like the life there but, don't think his brand will do that great there. Don't see them challenging for the CL anytime soon either. Plus I don't think they'll pay the wages he'd want - he isn't going to be the one to get your 20-30 goals a season.

PSG - he'd win leaagues/cups and might challenge for the CL but, for 80% of a season, no one is going to be writing about him even if he is doing well enough in the league/domestic cups. Only during CL will he be really noticed. They are

For me the only club that would make sense for him to leave for would be Bayern. Somewhat competitive league right now and will always challenge for the CL. Think they'll pay well enough and he's still be visible in the world wide media to a degree.

Arrogant as it sounds, the Premier League is made for him - it is probably the most written about, United are right up there in terms of media attention. We will pay as well as anyone else and we are building a quality team. Despite all that negativity about his social persona, all the coaches and all the players speak highly of his dedication and the influence he has on and off the pitch including the academy players. I think does identify as a Manchester United player.
Good post. I honestly don’t think he’ll leave in we win the league this season. Although having said that, maybe he has upped his performances recently to win the club, the fans and himself a title before moving to fulfil an ambition.

Roane

I'm not convinced things are as simple as some believe/ or we've been lead to believe.

All reports on Pogba are quite praise full, staff and players.

I just wonder if his recent stance has been about forcing UTD into action rather than actually leaving? A bit like Rooney with SAF.

From a player point of view I can certainly see why unhappiness would creep in if I was a WC winner who had to play with likes of Pereira etc and not see progress over a number of years. Especially at 27

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sell and buy Grealish. His professional appearances will be much appreciated from now until the end of the season.

For me, I'd rather he goes even if he wanted to stay. Too much damage has been done now.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why players leave? New challenges (players want to try couple of leagues in their (short) career, playing for best clubs, earn money and win trophies). One club players are rare these days.
We can offer Pogba money and aura of playing for giant club as United. Now, if he doesn't want "new challenge" in new league then only titles are left. If we win something and he will feel that we can do it again in future and that he will be one of main players then will maybe stay.

But if his desire to try different league then good luck to him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Raiola is only interested in making money (duh).

He'll always suggest something isn't quite right from time to time in order to get a) an improved contract (with a bonus for himself) or b) a big transfer (with a bonus for himself).

How well United are doing has feck all to do with it. He'll spin that in whatever way suits him at the time.

You could - of course - say that this is his job. And that what benefits him also benefits his client - in terms of money.

But as United fans we don't care about how his schemes and moves benefit himself (and Pogba - financially). We only care about the football. So - yeah, he's a feckin' cnut. And Pogba doesn't look too grand as someone who has never done a thing to shut him the feck up when he's made remarks that are disrespectful (as feck) to Manchester United (in all sorts of ways).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Im sure i read somewhere zidane wanted a french spine for his Madrid team next season. Varane-Pogba-Mbappe would give him that.
I think Zidane would be lucky to be there next season. According to a lot of the journos the Spanish clubs are flat broke anyway.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He might just fancy a change, he's spent most of his career here and probably envisioned a more trophy-laden return under Mourinho which never materialized. He's in his prime and he could feel it's his last chance to go to another club who are regularly competing, which I think is short-sighted because we look to be on the cusp of competing for the big trophies anyway.

If he wants to leave we shouldn't stand in his way. Raiola's undermining of us on the eve of our most important game of the season (up to that point) has left a foul taste in the mouth, imagine if he started mouthing off before a CL semi final, rather than a group stage game. By the sounds of the chatter our relationship with Raiola is too far gone to keep Pogba here regardless, I have a sneaking suspicion that Lingard dropped Raiola in a bid to remain here.

SAFMUTD

He's tired of not winning anything, and he's right. Look at it from his point of view, he's wanted by plenty of teams that can get the league walking and challenge in the UCL. At this particular point we look as we may start challenging for the league but we still failed massively in the UCL.

Trophy wise he doesnt have much here, all he's got is from Juve and France so its understandable that he wants major trophies while he's at his peak years. Also the critizism he gets here is over the top, he was our best player in many seasons and still some part of the fans don't like him.

Of course all this could change if we actually prove we are a fair option for him to get trophies, I hope we do because it will be hard to replace him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I am not getting carried away by his current form. It is very much appreciated that he is finally playing like a very good footballer again but I still believe it’s best for all if he leaves in the summer. I actually believe he has a deal with Ole and the club that he focuses on his football unit the end of the season and then he can go in the summer.

Ole probably made clear to him that he will select him on merit (after not playing or starting him for a few games) while in public not throwing him under the bus but excusing his poor form due to injury and covid. For whatever reason (with the Euros probably being one of them) Pogba finally understood this and for now it is working. Long may it continue (hopefully until the end of the season).

RedDevil@84

he was our best player in many seasons and still some part of the fans don't like him.
Not this again.
Why is it so difficult to understand that fans expect Pogba to be top class? Was better than McSauce is not the standard expected.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Probably the most villified player that i've seen play at the club. Genuine hate against him has been spewed by our own fans towards him (which includes this forum) after the Mourinho fiasco where he turned the fans against him. But credit to Solskjaer who has displayed incredible man management skills to get the best out of Pogba and proved that he infact is one of his most important players and a extremely popular team mate in the dressing room.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Where's he going to go, realistically. Barca and Madrid aren't anywhere near their best, and not sure how their finances are due to the pandemic. Can't really see him going anywhere else. I think he's staying here for the foreseeable future

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I heard that on a podcast but I’ve also heard he actually really likes Manchester and he’s spent a lot of his time here so it would be weird if he didn’t have an attachment to it by now.
Yeah he came back so he can’t hate it that much, even has a touch of Mancunian in his accent.

Infestissumam

I don't really care why, I just know I'll be happy to see the end of the drama. I'm happy he's playing well right now and helping us win, but this really isn't more than inflating his price in the summer in my eyes.

Eugenius

Not to go all Mourinho heritage on us, but we haven't won a trophy for 3-4 years, haven't qualified for CL consistently and are back playing in the Europa league knockouts.

We are on the way up but it's not like we've turned into CL contenders overnight, which is where I assume Pogba sees himself playing.

Fridge chutney

I think he'll sign a new contract. But if he leaves, I would expect us to push for Grealish.

tjb

We should still sell him. His performances will allow him to leave like a hero rather than kicked out of the club like Ozil. We can't afford to have the uncertainty he brings if things don't go well. Juve got relegated and were still able to keep Buffon, Nedved, Del Piero and Trezeguet. Pogba has already proven that he's not that guy and I feel for the position we are now, just like Mourinho and Van Gaal weren't the right fit for a rebuild, Pogba isn't either. United need battlers or superstars who can consistently battle, Pogba isn't that and we need to move on, as does he.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Where's he going to go, realistically. Barca and Madrid aren't anywhere near their best, and not sure how their finances are due to the pandemic. Can't really see him going anywhere else. I think he's staying here for the foreseeable future
He will go to Juve in a deal which will see them pay 2 million per year to us for the next 20 years or something like that.
He might also go to PSG and they might need a star player if Neymar/Mbappe don’t stay.