Wigan goes into administration

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Very dodgy circumstances here. Feel awful for the Wigan fans they deserve better. feck this guy.

My first ever away game was at the JJB, they were fantastic that day. We edged a 2-1 with a late own goal from Chimbonda (remember him) great memories. Hope they get through this.

Red_toad

I’m from that ‘inbred feckwit’ town, you should be a little more careful how you generalise people.
Hey mate after a good 60 minutes of hearing and taking racist abuse whilst sat next to my youngest son from said fans, I can say whatever the heck I like about those fans. 'We are all from Wigan' followed by a tirade of abuse aimed as United players and myself personally, they can go feck themselves. If you class yourself as one of those fans, then you may take offense and I won't retract it. One and only time I ever attended that ground, wish I'd passed. If you wish to include the entire town, I'd suggest you read my post once more.

Gasolin

I read the Twitter thread, I don't know if it's real, but it's really dodgy and I hope it's investigated. Not many ways to prove anything so far though... everything is circumstantial at best.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Hey mate after a good 60 minutes of hearing and taking racist abuse whilst sat next to my youngest son from said fans, I can say whatever the heck I like about those fans. 'We are all from Wigan' followed by a tirade of abuse aimed as United players and myself personally, they can go feck themselves. If you class yourself as one of those fans, then you may take offense and I won't retract it. One and only time I ever attended that ground, wish I'd passed. If you wish to include the entire town, I'd suggest you read my post once more.
I’ve been to Wigan many times & never experienced anything like this. I’m sympathetic to your experience but please don’t generalise an entire support based on a handful of cnuts. There’s good people in Wigan & they have a lot of good fans who despise racism.

Ollie Derbyshire

You said Wigan fans are ‘inbred feckwits’ without stating why, it’s horrendous that you and your son had to sit through that, but I can tell you we are not all like that.

Do you think there are no similar among Uniteds fan base? Would you class yourself as an ‘inbred feckwit’ because of it? It’s your right to feel how you feel but everyone isn’t the same as the next.

I’m fully aware of the issues in the Wigan area having grown up there and don’t doubt there are issues with some.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I have to admit the stereotyping of Wigan is pretty unfair.

I had some mates who grew up there who were the nicest lads you could ever meet. Proper down to Earth and would give you the shirt off their backs. Plus their parents being siblings hadn’t really impacted them that much, they were relatively smart.

Ollie Derbyshire

I had some mates who grew up there who were the nicest lads you could ever meet. Proper down to Earth and would give you the shirt off their backs. Plus their parents being siblings hadn’t really impacted them that much, they were relatively smart.
They must have been from Ince haha
We might not be the smartest town but we’re good at rugby!

Lay

:lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The Wigan rugby league club announced this morning that they are making a bid for the club.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/07/07/club-statement-wigan-warriors-and-wigan-athletic/
Wigan Sporting Partnership sounds good, it would need some fleshing out in terms of revenue streams as Wigan rugby are no means flush with cash. If it's more of a formalised mutual deal between both clubs, as we've already had co-operation on many levels having shared a stadium for over 20 years, that would appeal to me rather than the rugby club somehow taking ownership of the football club.

RC89

DavidDeSchmikes

Au Yeung Wai Kay insists Next Leader Fund LP had the 'best intentions' when taking charge of Wigan Athletic - despite the club being placed into administration less than a month later.

In a statement released exclusively to Wigan Today, via his UK lawyers, he says the Covid-19 pandemic 'fundamentally undermined' any attempts to run the club successfully. All of which led to the 'difficult decision' to place the club into administration.

"Wigan Athletic is a wonderful football club with rich history and a passionate fanbase," the statement read.

We bought Wigan Athletic with the best intentions: to create a team that would get the club back into the Premier League, and I have invested more than £40million.

"Unfortunately, the Covid-19 crisis has severely impacted people and businesses around the world - and Championship football clubs, which rely on fans coming through the turnstiles, are no exception.

"This has fundamentally undermined our ability to fund Wigan Athletic and, after struggling to find a solution.

"In the end took the difficult decision to put the club into administration to ensure its survival.

"The administrators are now doing everything they can to find a new owner who will secure the future of Wigan Athletic for the sake of the many thousands of devoted Latics fans, and the local community.
https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/fo...nds-difficult-administration-decision-2906602

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
You said Wigan fans are ‘inbred feckwits’ without stating why, it’s horrendous that you and your son had to sit through that, but I can tell you we are not all like that.

Do you think there are no similar among Uniteds fan base? Would you class yourself as an ‘inbred feckwit’ because of it? It’s your right to feel how you feel but everyone isn’t the same as the next.

I’m fully aware of the issues in the Wigan area having grown up there and don’t doubt there are issues with some.
Surely calling them inbred feckwits is pretty racist?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yesterday I was watching our game at Wigan in 2008, where Giggs scored the second goal to seal the title. Awesome bunch of fans and great stadium. Hope things work out for them.

Tiber

Scandalous if the rumour about the club being screwed because of a bet is true.

Something has to be done foreign ownership of football teams, especially in the lower leagues which attract less media and political attention.. The Premier League now has everything from the Glazers, to foreign businessmen with links to the KGB and sovereign states. This is not a good situation and there will be long-term repercussions, but what is happening in the lower leagues is even worse. How the feck are these unaccountable, anonymous foreign companies getting hold of so many teams? They don't give a flying feck about the local communities - and we only hear about these situations when the worst happens.

The Glazers are not good owners, but at least we know who owns the club. That is a lot more than fans of other clubs can say.

Josep Dowling

Au Yeung Wai Kay insists Next Leader Fund LP had the 'best intentions' when taking charge of Wigan Athletic - despite the club being placed into administration less than a month later.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/fo...nds-difficult-administration-decision-2906602
The COVID excuse is being used by every rich cnut under the sun for their financial decisions. I’m getting sick of it. They purchased the club during the crisis as well! The EFL have to be held accountable for allowing these people to pass the fit and proper test. The FA and EFL needs investigating and many of the board removed. The job they have done for years is absolutely shocking. Next will be the sale of Wembley because ‘COVID has impacted on the FA’s finances’.

Last edited:

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Surely the odds on Wigan being relegated must have been quite low? And if someone is putting millions on it then it would have triggered an investigation?
It was staked with Asian bookmakers, they probably wouldn’t flag it up as they don’t care where the money comes from.

However I find it hard to believe the betting story is true. None of the asian bookmakers would allow a bet big enough to make it worthwhile to purchase the club and still profit. Could probably get a couple million on at a push, but the odds would drop considerably after every £100/200k or so.

Also, the twitter thread isn’t very accurate/seems to be clutching at straws. It mentions someone being thrown out for sending data back to gamblers in Hong Kong who are 20 seconds behind.
This is impossible, asian bookmakers don’t accept bets for about 60 seconds or so once you try to place them specifically to avoid that happening. What actually happened was someone was recording data for betting companies and was thrown out as the championship has an exclusive deal with 1 specific data recording company (for betting sites). They will throw out anyone they see from a rival one.

The entire story is very odd but none of it logically makes sense for it to be a bet. Unless there was never any actual money paid for Wigan or something.

fps

Every club has thick unpleasant and racist fans and an individual experience with a small number of people from a place can’t lead to this kind of generalisation in any sensible way.

Red_toad

Every club has thick unpleasant and racist fans and an individual experience with a small number of people from a place can’t lead to this kind of generalisation in any sensible way.
Nice generalisation about them being 'thick'. If you were at said game did you do some IQ testing to verify? I can kinda agree with the sentiment, as they were chanting about Park being Chinese.

Renfurm

Supports
N.E.C.
What's the reasoning behind deducting 12 points for going into administration? Talk about kicking someone when they are already down.

A transfer embargo and perhaps forced selling at market value to trim the wage bill would seem like better options

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
What's the reasoning behind deducting 12 points for going into administration? Talk about kicking someone when they are already down.

A transfer embargo and perhaps forced selling at market value to trim the wage bill would seem like better options
Them's the rules. It's an automatic punishment like getting a 1 match ban for a sending off. The reasoning being you're not following the rules as the rest of the clubs in the league. In Wigan's case it's a bit sad because they had a knucklehead owner. Clubs aren't much protected from bad owners.

Renfurm

Supports
N.E.C.
Them's the rules. It's an automatic punishment like getting a 1 match ban for a sending off. The reasoning being you're not following the rules as the rest of the clubs in the league. In Wigan's case it's a bit sad because they had a knucklehead owner. Clubs aren't much protected from bad owners.
12 points seems a bit excessive though. I would rather see clubs punished for irresponsible financial behaviour by forcing them to sell their most valueble players and trimming the wage bill in order to get their finances in order. If they get relegated the season after because the majority of the squad consist of young players from their academy then so be it