Gaming Wii-U

AVARiCE

I know it's being mentioned in the E3 thread but I feel it deserves its own thread.

So what's everyone's thoughts?

Kotaku have the best coverage, imo, here: wiiu - Kotaku.

If anyone has any info they think I should pop into this OP I'll do so. Right now here are the main headlines:

- It's fully backwards compatible, including peripherals.
- It is HD-capable using an AMD chip.
- Nintendo have set out to recapture the core gaming market.
- Due out next year between April and December - so next year then.
- It uses flash memory which can be expanded with USB/SD.
- The CPU is IBM and based on the same technology as the Watson Supercomputer which was on Jeopardy recently. (This could mean anything and is probably marketing babble).
If I've missed anything, let me know as well.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Doesn't excite me really, I find all this Wii/Kinnect/Move abit gimmicky really. Would prefer if they released an N64 with HD graphics and updated games :lol:

WeasteDevil

Worst name ever.
I understand where they are coming from with the name, but the problem is that it's going to confuse people as it simply looks like a revision, or the way that they showed it, a new Wii controller. I think what they are trying to do is as follows.... that they called the Wii the Wii because it was all about family interactive fun with many people having fun together. Thus We. Now, that's not of much interest to your spotty semen stained teenage emo sat in his darkened bedroom calling people shitcock niggers over his headset in COD, because such a person is clearly not interested at all in spending time with his mum and dad waggling a controller around in the living room, he's interested in wanking and calling people that he doesn't know shitcock niggers. The Wii (we) part for him is already covered, it's the people he abuses online rather than his parents and little sister that eat marshmallows and have fun together downstairs well out of the way.

So, Nintendo decide to go after the You, a console experience for You, thus the U where you can do all of those things locked away with a controller on your own. However, they can't get rid of the We because that would alienate their cash cow market. So they try and go for both worlds at once. The Wii (we) and the U (You), which is going to cause all sorts of confusion, even with the game developers, because you're going to get games that need the Wiimotes and don't work with the U controller, and then get games that work with the U controller and not the Wiimotes, so even more bits of plastic spread around the place that you have no space to store them in. You'll have this U controller, 4 Wii motes, a balance board, a Mario Kart wheel, and god knows what else. You could probably pack a cupboard with this stuff.

As for product differentiation, they should simply have called it the Nintendo Yoo (small print - Wii capable).

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
This clearly has not been thought through, the fact Miyamoto was asked if you could have more than one controller per console and he didn’t know speaks to that. Considering how early this appears to be as a concept, how they haven’t even discussed first party software, how all the technology presented are prototypes, this is being rushed out though I be surprised if this is out next summer as it is apparently planned to be.

The fact that Nintendo’s listing in Tokyo fell nearly 6% on the unveiling of Wii-U illustrates how poorly they presented it, leaving people confused as to what actually was presented – unveiling a console but no games is bizarre.

That doesn’t mean however that I am against it and think it will fail.

Cina

It also looks like it will not have the launch price of the Wii either.

Biscuit1871

I understand where they are coming from with the name, but the problem is that it's going to confuse people as it simply looks like a revision, or the way that they showed it, a new Wii controller. I think what they are trying to do is as follows.... that they called the Wii the Wii because it was all about family interactive fun with many people having fun together. Thus We. Now, that's not of much interest to your spotty semen stained teenage emo sat in his darkened bedroom calling people shitcock niggers over his headset in COD, because such a person is clearly not interested at all in spending time with his mum and dad waggling a controller around in the living room, he's interested in wanking and calling people that he doesn't know shitcock niggers. The Wii (we) part for him is already covered, it's the people he abuses online rather than his parents and little sister that eat marshmallows and have fun together downstairs well out of the way.

So, Nintendo decide to go after the You, a console experience for You, thus the U where you can do all of those things locked away with a controller on your own. However, they can't get rid of the We because that would alienate their cash cow market. So they try and go for both worlds at once. The Wii (we) and the U (You), which is going to cause all sorts of confusion, even with the game developers, because you're going to get games that need the Wiimotes and don't work with the U controller, and then get games that work with the U controller and not the Wiimotes, so even more bits of plastic spread around the place that you have no space to store them in. You'll have this U controller, 4 Wii motes, a balance board, a Mario Kart wheel, and god knows what else. You could probably pack a cupboard with this stuff.

As for product differentiation, they should simply have called it the Nintendo Yoo (small print - Wii capable).
I think you've read too much into the name and it's relative importance in influencing potential customers.

Cina

If you repeat the name over and over it sounds like a gay ambulance.

Kaos

You know what, the hell with you lot - I'm actually pretty excited!

Yeah the controller is...awkward at best, but the fact that's they've finally gone down the HD route will probably mean more 3rd party support and typical AAA multiplatform games can also be included the WiiU.

It suggests that Nintendo haven't entirely forgotten their core fanbase and now we're going to see the likes of Battlefield 3 and Darksiders 2 on a nintendo platform.

How about you Nostradamus disciples give the console a chance and at least wait till launch before passing judgement.

Haters
Gonna
Hate

Kaos

Doesn't excite me really, I find all this Wii/Kinnect/Move abit gimmicky really. Would prefer if they released an N64 with HD graphics and updated games :lol:
That's essentially what it is anyway, with the OPTION of motion sensing.

Adzzz

Staff
Wii-U, sounds like a geordie confused over someone.

Adzzz

Staff
Pointless motion bullshit is killing games which relied on good storylines with meaningful characters and interesting gameplay.

If I wanted to play Tennis, I'd go and play tennis.

WeasteDevil

The Wii wasn't HD compatible though, and in that department lagged behind its two competitors, hence the decline in the third party support. That'll most likely change with the WiiU.
Yeah, and you'll have the situation with the HD twins probably having a market share of around 160m units by the time WiiU releases, with both retailing probably below 150 quid. It will not surprise me one jot if both XB360 and PS3 and up with higher LTDs than Wii.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, and you'll have the situation with the HD twins probably having a market share of around 160m units by the time WiiU releases, with both retailing probably below 150 quid. It will not surprise me one jot if both XB360 and PS3 and up with higher LTDs than Wii.
Unless Wii-U is significantly delayed I do not see this happening as they are both still around 50 million sales.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think there's more promise there than the usual doom mongers do, virtually everyone wrote off the Wii on here and look what happened there.

To me the success or failure is even more dependant this time on what 3rd party developers do with the controller (which has had good feedback from those who've used it). It wasn't so bad on the Wii because although no one apart from really Nintendo thought up good uses, it was still basically shake and wave which wasn't that inventive. This new thing with the screen is going to need a lot more thought from developers, especially as the game will have to be tailored to it, not just ported from the other two. I fear after a good start they won't bother so much, and like the Wii most will be poorly tacked on stuff like simple item selection screens, or maps.

Still it is a major new console, so as always I'm interested and will probably get one at launch even if it is turd! :lol:

WeasteDevil

Unless Wii-U is significantly delayed I do not see this happening as they are both still around 50 million sales.
Yes, so that makes 100m or there about now, with both expecting to ship 15-18m more this financial year, which makes say 136m come April. Wii-U at a push will just about launch for Christmas 2012 if nothing goes wrong. I think this, because they've not shown the console or anything significant running on it. They even admitted themselves that a lot of the demos shown off at their conference were being run on a PS3 or XB360, and certain developers have said that they've only had devkits for a couple of months, and the devkits are not the finalised hardware.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Not at all. I think you have a delusional importance of product naming.
Considering only the Gamecube is the only piece of nintendo hardware released in the last 25 years either home or portable that has a unique name that is not furthered or extended speaks to that, not to mention the likes of PSX/2/3 and Xbox/Xbox360.

Nintendo Entertainment System > Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Nintendo 64 > Nintendo 64 DD

Nintendo Wii > Nintendo WiiU

Game Boy > Game Boy Pocket > Game Boy Colour > Game Boy Advance > Game Boy Advance SP > Game Boy Advance Micro

Nintendo DS > DS Lite > DSi > DSi XL > 3DS

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Looking forward to what companies do with the controller. Already seeing and hearing some nice ideas.

Then looking forward to the non-controller aspects, too.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I do trust Nintendo to be able to pull this off, I recall a very negative reaction when the Wind Waker was unveiled a year following 'Zelda 128' as a technical demo for the gamecube, and that turned out to be a brilliant game on a par with anything Nintendo have done in the last 5-10 years.

WeasteDevil

Considering only the Gamecube is the only piece of nintendo hardware released in the last 25 years either home or portable that has a unique name that is not furthered or extended speaks to that, not to mention the likes of PSX/2/3 and Xbox/Xbox360.

Nintendo Entertainment System > Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Nintendo 64 > Nintendo 64 DD

Nintendo Wii > Nintendo WiiU

Game Boy > Game Boy Pocket > Game Boy Colour > Game Boy Advance > Game Boy Advance SP > Game Boy Advance Micro

Nintendo DS > DS Lite > DSi > DSi XL > 3DS
Everything in bold is a revision of the same core system. Everything in red will confuse and is confusing the market, because it uses the same logos and typefaces and appears to be a revision when it's actually not. 1, 2, 3, 4, that's pretty simple to understand, so is 360, 720, etc. It's also a reason why Sony did not call the PSP2 the PSP2 - they think that PSP as a brand didn't quite work out as they wanted it to, so it's dropped.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Everything in bold is a revision of the same core system. Everything in red will confuse and is confusing the market, because it uses the same logos and typefaces and appears to be a revision when it's actually not. 1, 2, 3, 4, that's pretty simple to understand, so is 360, 720, etc.
It isn't as simple as that, both WiiU and 3DS had/will have the same backward compatibility as NES to SNES did and GB to GBA and so on yet in the case of all of them they're not forward compatible yet that didn't dampen the sales of the SNES or the GBA and hasn't confused people in the same way five iterations of the DS haven't confused anybody or dampened their sales.

WeasteDevil

It isn't as simple as that, both WiiU and 3DS had/will have the same backward compatibility as NES to SNES did and GB to GBA and so on yet in the case of all of them they're not forward compatible yet that didn't dampen the sales of the SNES or the GBA and hasn't confused people in the same way five iterations of the DS haven't confused anybody or dampened their sales.
I should have put a bar/separator in the middle of the Gameboy line, but apart from that, the earlier models can still play software from the later models, just without the enhanced features. They are evolutions of the same base design. 3DS hasn't taken off like a rocket, because people don't know what it is, they think that it's a DS with 3D, not an entirely different console.

Kaos

3DS hasn't taken off like a rocket, because people don't know what it is, they think that it's a DS with 3D, not an entirely different console.
The reason the 3DS hasn't taken off like a rocket simply because at this stage its launch library is lacklustre at best. Most people interested in a 3DS most likely own a DS of some sorts and hence see no need to upgrade just yet, but you can be sure they will eventually make the upgrade when those bigger titles start to creep in towards the end of the year.

I know because I'm one of em.

Redlambs

I think the recession, the cost and the fact people are actually a bit put off with all the overblown sickness shit have far more to do with the sales than simply the name. Not to mention the main thing which is lack of games.

Redlambs

The reason the 3DS hasn't taken off like a rocket simply because at this stage its launch library is lacklustre at best. Most people interested in a 3DS most likely own a DS of some sorts and hence see no need to upgrade just yet, but you can be sure they will eventually make the upgrade when those bigger titles start to creep in towards the end of the year.

I know because I'm one of em.
Me too, though I nearly bought one again today.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I should have put a bar/separator in the middle of the Gameboy line, but apart from that, the earlier models can still play software from the later models, just without the enhanced features. They are evolutions of the same base design. 3DS hasn't taken off like a rocket, because people don't know what it is, they think that it's a DS with 3D, not an entirely different console.
I think you are trying to make the 3DS sale figures fit your argument, as far as I am aware sales are around 5 million. 5 million sales in ten weeks, for a handheld, released at an awkard time of year at a high price point, with relatively poor battery performance and a lack of great games are far bigger reasons than any confusion over continuation.