Wilfred Ndidi - Leicester Player

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
OK thanks. Good to hear others perspective. Cant see it myself. Rashford is maybe not useless as striker but I would have Martial there next, then Greenwood before him. And I would say Greenwood is better at RW. And even if Rashford can play there its still stupid to play him out of his best position. Its like Pogba on the LW. Its is not really his best position and he definitely is not at his best in a double pivot. Yeah he can play there but even in the Crystal Palace scenario you mentioned it will only work if he is forced into being disciplined and therefore not giving him the best platform to succeed. See how Pogba played against Liverpool? He struggled because he is not a LW. He was forced into a defensive position tracking TAA. Which he can do to a degree but its not really a clever idea over a season.

This is the difference between Bayern, Liverpool, City etc - They put players in their correct positions and not just fit everyone in. If we want a double pivot then sell Pogba and get technical defensive minded players. If we want a LW decide between Pogba or Rashford with Martial as back up. But that's just me.
You are making it sounds like Rashford is good in tracking back but in reality he’s not, his work rate this season been criticised. Come on mate, you think you can fool me with that? Because the reality is that McFred have been used constantly to also help both full backs anticipate the opposition width.

We had period in first half vs Liverpool when we and Pogba were doing very well but collapsed in second half because Fred gave the ball away cheaply multiple times, our double pivot and our defenders also struggle to progressive the ball, not because Pogba played on the left.

Therefore, you want someone who is not only good defensively but also capable to be press resistance in our double pivot and can supply the ball to our front four. It’s simple, Pogba needs to play in advanced position especially against teams that don’t sit back but likes to press high. The only way to play Pogba deeps are by having KanTuidi.

Ekeke

I didn't say he could, simply replying to your lets spend a fortune to have a player who's good in the air for set pieces. I value a player having a good passing range and being able to move with the ball, over being a limited beaker up of play. For the fee Leicester would want I'd say we'd 100% be taken to the cleaners, there'd be far better options out there.
We have one called Paul Pogba. The problem is he isnt very good defensively.

Leicester have one too, Tielemens and the reason he can play that position and do so well for them is because he has Ndidi next to him doing the vast majority of the defensive work

We need someone to put us in the situation where we can have a deep ball player be creative and set things up. And thats by balancing out their shortcomings defensively and allowing them to get on the ball and get forward and help the attack. Not by asking them to do a bunch of extra defending themselves because we dont have a DM who can be trusted to do the defending next to them

Red_toad

We have one called Paul Pogba. The problem is he isnt very good defensively.

Leicester have one too, Tielemens and the reason he can play that position and do so well for them is because he has Ndidi next to him doing the vast majority of the defensive work

We need someone to put us in the situation where we can have a deep ball player be creative and set things up. And thats by balancing out their shortcomings defensively and allowing them to get on the ball and get forward and help the attack. Not by asking them to do a bunch of extra defending themselves because we dont have a DM who can be trusted to do the defending next to them
Pogba needs to play in a 3, there isn't a defensive midfielder in the world who can cover his issues alone, even prime Kante couldn't do it alone. Playing Pogba, Bruno and 1 defensive midfielder is going to require that defensive midfielder to be superhuman week in week out. You see that in Ndidi, what more can I say...

Ekeke

Pogba needs to play in a 3, there isn't a defensive midfielder in the world who can cover his issues alone, even prime Kante couldn't do it alone. Playing Pogba, Bruno and 1 defensive midfielder is going to require that defensive midfielder to be superhuman week in week out. You see that in Ndidi, what more can I say...
Tielemans wouldnt either without Ndidi

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Defensively? I dont think so. Especially when you also consider in the air, which is our problem with set pieces and Fred doesnt help at all there
Fair enough for that aspect of the game but we got some good headers of the ball in the team so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Him and AWB are the firt players to mop around regaining the ball at set pieces so they have their role too, don't need to take challenges in the air to be useful.

Zlatattack

Was trending on twitter last night. Do you reckon his agent paid for some tweets?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Why aren't we in for this guy? He would be perfect for us!
He would be perfect if we play 4-2-3-1 (which we most likely will), but with all the talk regarding a move to 4-3-3 I can see why people are not convinced. He's a monster DM though. I would take him ahead of Rice for sure.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Very good player and who can come close to kante in terms of impact on games in break up play and pressing.

I exactly don't know if he will be impactful in passing. Leicester City mostly play counter attack style so he always had space and time on the ball when play broke up. But look like very good passer too albeit simple effective passes.

Ekeke

He would be perfect if we play 4-2-3-1 (which we most likely will), but with all the talk regarding a move to 4-3-3 I can see why people are not convinced. He's a monster DM though. I would take him ahead of Rice for sure.
I think he'd be even better for a 4-3-3 since the other midfielders we'd want to play would be so attack minded, Pogba, Fernandes, getting DVB and McTominay forward to help the attack etc.

The only way thats possible is with someone who actually enjoys doing all the dirty work being in defensive positions and trying to snuff moves out when his teammates are out of position. Its not going to happen with a player who's main interest on the football pitch is having and passing the ball. There's too much of a defensive burden on them if that isnt their main quality.

With the 4-2-3-1 we have 2 players who should share the responsibilities of breaking up attacks and filling in defensive holes, so we've managed to get by without players who are truly defensive minded, will spot danger and get back to make a vital clearance when the opponents have pushed numbers forward.

However, I'm sure Ndidi would cost a lot because Leicester wont want to give a team they feel they have a chance of finishing near in the table one of their best players. He's one of the best of his type of player and others who can do similar things like Casemiro and Kante dont seem like they'd be available even for the big money that surely Ndidi would require. So we're probably best off trying to find "the next Ndidi" and helping him to develop to that level.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't know what you mean exactly, but defensively he's nothing like Fred.
He is a pure energetic player and runs everywhere.

It's not the type of CDM I feel like we need.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I still don’t really get how you can look at our team and think we need a player like this. We don’t need a water carrier, we need someone who can get on the ball and help us control games better. Ndidi only helps us continue to play reactive football.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I think he'd be even better for a 4-3-3 since the other midfielders we'd want to play would be so attack minded, Pogba, Fernandes, getting DVB and McTominay forward to help the attack etc.
Doesn't really work like that, because our defense minded players on the pitch would be too shite on the ball to get it to them. Need Pogba to drop next to an Ndidi/Rice type, to get on the ball.

A lone DM really needs to be able to pass, like Busquets or De Jong, especially if the CBs aren't phenomenal on the ball, like Alaba or Blind. At least for a team that's expected to dominate in a lot of matches.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I like him but I would want someone with a better range of passing between the lines.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What? This is not Ndidi. Are you serious?
Ndidi rarely moves away from the position in front of thr back 4. He is not a Kante-type destroyer.
I realise I started remembering bissouma and Ndidi together.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Very good player and who can come close to kante in terms of impact on games in break up play and pressing.

I exactly don't know if he will be impactful in passing. Leicester City mostly play counter attack style so he always had space and time on the ball when play broke up. But look like very good passer too albeit simple effective passes.
No we don’t mostly play counter attacking style

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

They have the 6th highest Possession % from last season, they had the 4th highest in 19/20. They've not been a counter attack team for two seasons now to be fair.
20-21 Season:
Club Possession %Pass %
1. Manchester City60.889.4
2. Liverpool59.085.7
3. Chelsea58.687.0
4. Leeds55.180.8
5. Manchester United54.584.8
6. Leicester53.282.1

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
No we don’t mostly play counter attacking style
Ok my mistake I should have said playing against top teams. Most matches I watched of Leicester that kind only.

I had that wrong impression as they play counter attack style. But it's nothing wrong though in playing counter attack style.

Jericholyte2

If we end up selling Pogba as seems increasingly like him. I’d throw any money we have at Leicester for him. He’d bring such a great balance to the team.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City

Mate, look out from beneath your stone once in a while. LCFC do not play counter attacking football, and havent since Puels reign. Its all possession based, and is no where near as exciting as when it was 30-70, lightning break, counter attacking football.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Ok my mistake I should have said playing against top teams. Most matches I watched of Leicester that kind only.

I had that wrong impression as they play counter attack style. But it's nothing wrong though in playing counter attack style.
We are a top team.

Ekeke

He is a pure energetic player and runs everywhere.

It's not the type of CDM I feel like we need.
Yeah thats not him at all.

He plays positionally rather than Fred's energy and constant pressing. He fills holes and tries to make tackles and interception when players come into his area, he's not charging round like Fred covering so much distance and leaving positions open. Theres good and bad to both styles, but if the main role is to defend, having someone constantly in the right position is the best place to start.

Ekeke

Doesn't really work like that, because our defense minded players on the pitch would be too shite on the ball to get it to them. Need Pogba to drop next to an Ndidi/Rice type, to get on the ball.

A lone DM really needs to be able to pass, like Busquets or De Jong, especially if the CBs aren't phenomenal on the ball, like Alaba or Blind. At least for a team that's expected to dominate in a lot of matches.
They dont supply the ball to the front players, they recycle it through the team and keep it moving just like Fred, McTominay and half the time Pogba does when he isnt picking out an amazing through pass.

If you want someone to do that, you can't have Pogbas and Fernandes' in your midfield 3 with them. It leaves you far too open defensively. And yes of course they'd need to drop deep at times to get on the ball, thats why they're in midfield and not playing as part of the attack in that formation. If you wanted Fernandes not to drop into a deeper position to get on the ball in a 4-3-3 he'd have to be part of the front 3.

Check out how many times he either holds his position in a position you'd expect before he activates ball winning mode when the player comes into his area, or he starts in an area where you'd want your DM and the highlight has him closing someone down approaching that area and winning the ball, or tracking back to help the defence. Thats as impressive as his ball winning numbers, the fact that he's not just chasing after the ball whenever he sees it to try and get his stats up, he's being in a good position first to react to danger and letting the tackles and interceptions come to him.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We have people in here heavily criticise our midfielders when they lose possession due to quick press. Well, that’s part of Ndidi’s flaw, his ball retention is very lacking.

Ekeke

We have people in here heavily criticise our midfielders when they lose possession due to quick press. Well, that’s part of Ndidi’s flaw, his ball retention is very lacking.
The reason those players are criticized is because they have big holes in other parts of their game too. Ndidi is miles better protecting the backline than those players, its hard to find a player who will do such a great job of that who is also extremely calm and composed on the ball and a talented passer. Kante and Casemiro would be the closest, but there would be posters complaining about their distribution at times too. Ultimately it doesnt matter if people complain, it matters if we're successful and having a proper DM would help us do that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I still just can’t see at all how he’s what we need. Maybe if it’s him plus one but it won’t be. We need first and foremost to grab control of games. Tielemans does that for Leicester, not Ndidi.

Highfather_24

Not the kind of #6 we need. When we buy him, he will be playing next to either one of McT, Fred or Matic. Is that the kind of midfield 2 we want to have?

Ndidi---Fred

or

McT---Ndidi

Nah, that's too defensive for me. We dont need another ball winner. We need a passer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The reason those players are criticized is because they have big holes in other parts of their game too. Ndidi is miles better protecting the backline than those players, its hard to find a player who will do such a great job of that who is also extremely calm and composed on the ball and a talented passer. Kante and Casemiro would be the closest, but there would be posters complaining about their distribution at times too. Ultimately it doesnt matter if people complain, it matters if we're successful and having a proper DM would help us do that.
Tell me what are these big holes you are referring to. Casemiro is technical midfielder while Kante is still more technical than Ndidi.

Will Singh

If Maddison was to go to Arsenal and rumours they like Lindgard maybe there’s a deal to done with Ndidi. I think he would be perfect but it’s going to be expensive but cheaper then Rice?

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
If Maddison was to go to Arsenal and rumours they like Lindgard maybe there’s a deal to done with Ndidi. I think he would be perfect but it’s going to be expensive but cheaper then Rice?
Arsenal won't pay for Maddison, I doubt we'd want Lingard but we certainly wouldn't lose Ndidi to get him