Wilfred Ndidi - Leicester Player

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
While I agree with what your saying, hindsight is an amazing thing.

VVD was at Celtic, looked great there but no one took the risk of signing him except Southampton. I’d imagine other clubs would of been looking but it’s the risk of buying a player in a different, less competitive league.

You look at this lad and he ticks all the boxes. He’s risk free (almost) and we would get so many years from him providing things go well. It’s a safer bet.

Leicester can afford to take more risks in the transfer market than we can due to their lower expectations.

Having said all that I do think our scouting network needs to do more. Under Fergie we got some gems in Evra, Vidic, Keane, Schmeichel, Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Pogba etc.. who were not exactly proven players but turned out to be world class.
How great is the risk?

Is it worth it paying way more for "proven talent" that may still fail on the biggest stage?

Alluding to risk as a reason why top clubs buy dross at inflated prices is a cop-out. And as money continues to increase in the game and midtable clubs can afford to hold on to the gems they've found, the best clubs will be determined by who can go straight to the source and identify the top talent, without needing a midtable club to blood them in.

passing-wind

I'd prefer Rice, Leicester would want similar money to West ham and rice imo has had a solid season. He would also form better chemistry with the players at the club, much is said about the attitude and I'm all towards developing an English core it's something that has always been a tradition at this club.

I'd also take Thomas Partey over Ndidi, so for me he'd be the third choice in a defensive midfield role.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How great is the risk?

Is it worth it paying way more for "proven talent" that may still fail on the biggest stage?

Alluding to risk as a reason why top clubs buy dross at inflated prices is a cop-out. And as money continues to increase in the game and midtable clubs can afford to hold on to the gems they've found, the best clubs will be determined by who can go straight to the source and identify the top talent, without needing a midtable club to blood them in.
I think you need to remember Ndidi has been at Leicester for 3 seasons now, and he played basically from the get go when he was 20. He wasn’t cheap either, £17M for an unheard of 20yo is a decent chunck if cash.

I remember in his first season he wasn’t that hot and went through rough patches last season. But fair play to the club stuck with him.

Top teams need to start developing from within their own ranks, McTominey is the same age as Ndidi, maybe if he had been given the chance at 19 or 20 he would be much further in in his development.

Ekeke

Bumping this thread up as I was very impressed with his performance against city.

He bossed that midfield. His work ethic, positioning and tackling was just insane last night. He is still very young, is a good passer of the ball too.

Do you think we should be in for this lad?
Judging by last nights performance alone I’d be happy if we signed him. Reminded me of kante but with more height.
He did his job for the most part, but Choudhury also helped him and despite thinking they both did well, they both also stood off Kompany who scored a longshot. So thats a bit of a mistake.

Here you can see Choudhury was alongside him helping to do the defensive job with Maguire also pushing up to that point of the pitch.

Dolf

He did his job for the most part, but Choudhury also helped him and despite thinking they both did well, they both also stood off Kompany who scored a longshot. So thats a bit of a mistake.

Here you can see Choudhury was alongside him helping to do the defensive job with Maguire also pushing up to that point of the pitch.
To be honest, I would rather have him let Kompany take a shot from there than go to him and fall out of position. Kompany can take that shot 100 times and it will go over 99 times.

Ekeke

To be honest, I would rather have him let Kompany take a shot from there than go to him and fall out of position. Kompany can take that shot 100 times and it will go over 99 times.
That is the position of a DM - and Leicester had 2, Ndidi and Choudhury. If Matic and Ander werent pressing a player coming towards the edge of the box and looking to shoot they wouldnt be doing their job brilliantly either.

Other than that they did a good job

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think you need to remember Ndidi has been at Leicester for 3 seasons now, and he played basically from the get go when he was 20. He wasn’t cheap either, £17M for an unheard of 20yo is a decent chunck if cash.

I remember in his first season he wasn’t that hot and went through rough patches last season. But fair play to the club stuck with him.

Top teams need to start developing from within their own ranks, McTominey is the same age as Ndidi, maybe if he had been given the chance at 19 or 20 he would be much further in in his development.
It would also be great if top clubs were forced to fork over more money for poaching the finished product.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
When they first bought him he looked abysmal trying to do Kante’s role.

Now he looks brilliant. Mega performance last night I thought.

Kaglish10

That is the position of a DM - and Leicester had 2, Ndidi and Choudhury. If Matic and Ander werent pressing a player coming towards the edge of the box and looking to shoot they wouldnt be doing their job brilliantly either.

I feel Ndidi is at his best as a box-box midfielder whereas Choudhury looks like the holding midfielder who drops deeper whenever Maguire moves forward. After Ndidi left the pitch in their previous match against Arsenal and Choudhury slotted into the lone CDM role , Leicester looked much more threatening than before.

Rodgers should deploy Ndidi as a box-box midfielder alongside Tielesman with Choudhury holding the midfield at the base in a 3-man midfielder set-up while Maddison should be moved to the wing.

Ekeke

I feel Ndidi is at his best as a box-box midfielder whereas Choudhury looks like the holding midfielder who drops deeper whenever Maguire moves forward. Also in their previous match when Ndidi left the pitch and Choudhury slotted into the CDM role, Leicester looked much more threatening than before.

Rodgers should deploy Ndidi as a box-box midfielder alongside Tielesman with Choudhury holding the midfield at the base in a 3-man midfielder set-up while Maddison should be moved to the wing.
I dunno, I think Ndidi is still the safer option. Choudhury has looked decent when I've seen him but not sure he's ready to be the sitting player alone. Leicester had that with Mendy sitting alone while Ndidi got forward and that didnt work out too great. The two of them together are pretty good helping the backline it seems

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

You have to move in accordance with your team mates in a zonal marking defence. Normally, it probably was Choudhury, but when he dropped Maddison should have moved narrow to but pressure on Kompany.

Impossible to blame Ndidi for that goal. His positioning on the goal was perfect.

Kaglish10

I dunno, I think Ndidi is still the safer option. Choudhury has looked decent when I've seen him but not sure he's ready to be the sitting player alone. Leicester had that with Mendy sitting alone while Ndidi got forward and that didnt work out too great. The two of them together are pretty good helping the backline it seems
I think it was decent but once Tielesman came in, they had to include him into the lineup hence one of Mendy and Ndidi had to sit out and the obvious option was Mendy.

Ndidi would still be helping out the midfield with his defensive works hence Choudhury wouldn't be burdened with the defensive works. I just feel Ndidi looks better as a defensive box-box midfielder. In the Newcastle and Westham game for example, his position looked suspect however since Choudhury had been sitting deep alongside him in the midfield, he's had it better in the subsequent matches. I actually love the look of Choudhury in the lone holding midfield role against Arsenal.

That said, I think we should get Ndidi to replace Herrera. I hope Leicester won't fleece us.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
At this rate we will have a thread for every Leicester player. I agree they have a better performing squad than us but the credit should goto their scouting team . Who is their guy in charge of transfers ?

Dolf

I can see what you mean but still, it was Kompany. He looked like he was about to pass the ball.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I think it was decent but once Tielesman came in, they had to include him into the lineup hence one of Mendy and Ndidi had to sit out and the obvious option was Mendy.

Ndidi would still be helping out the midfield with his defensive works hence Choudhury wouldn't be burdened with the defensive works. I just feel Ndidi looks better as a defensive box-box midfielder. In the Newcastle and Westham game for example, his position looked suspect however since Choudhury had been sitting deep alongside him in the midfield, he's had it better in the subsequent matches. I actually love the look of Choudhury in the lone holding midfield role against Arsenal.

That said, I think we should get Ndidi to replace Herrera. I hope Leicester won't fleece us.
actually originally it was NDidi who was to drop out (NDidi was out of form at the time) but Papy Mendy got injured in the warm up Vs Spurs so NDidi started that game and ever since the midfield has basically been Tielemans NDidi Maddison in a 3 until the Arsenal game
At this rate we will have a thread for every Leicester player. I agree they have a better performing squad than us but the credit should goto their scouting team . Who is their guy in charge of transfers ?
Director of Football John Rudkin heads it up

Aloysius's Back 3

@Jimmy Skitz

Do you still have that chief scout that unearthed vardy, Kante & Mahrez? Is he still the guy finding some of the other good players? Does he have Leicester City blood?

NoPace

I feel Ndidi is at his best as a box-box midfielder whereas Choudhury looks like the holding midfielder who drops deeper whenever Maguire moves forward. After Ndidi left the pitch in their previous match against Arsenal and Choudhury slotted into the lone CDM role , Leicester looked much more threatening than before.

From what I've seen Ndidi isn't good enough as a passer to be an 8 for us. He's a great ball-winner and works hard but his first touch looked worse to me than Mikel or Etebo's this summer. Seems like a more mobile, hungrier Schneiderlin situation where the other midfielders will still look to bypass him in possession. We need technically stronger players.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
@Jimmy Skitz

Do you still have that chief scout that unearthed vardy, Kante & Mahrez? Is he still the guy finding some of the other good players? Does he have Leicester City blood?
no, that was Steve Walsh who went to Everton, some talk of him coming back as the guy that replaced him Eduardo Macia left to go to a French club, I forget which.
System is still in place just needs a new man to head it up

Scholsey2004

no, that was Steve Walsh who went to Everton, some talk of him coming back as the guy that replaced him Eduardo Macia left to go to a French club, I forget which.
System is still in place just needs a new man to head it up
Leicester's track record for selecting up and coming talent is remarkable in its consistency.

TehRed

I would absolutely not be against signing this lad if Ole decides we want to play a system that requires a Leicester-era Kante style player. I think that we're maybe more likely to pursue the Neves types though, the deep lying ball player rather than the destroyer.

GM K

Didi would be a fine buy for any top four team. I have studied him for a while. He's really good and more importantly, he has the capacity to improve.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I remember I read it somewhere that he’s the best tackler this season. Better than Kante & Rice this season in tackle.

In Rainbows

Seeing as we're unlikely to develop TFM for this role and he's unlikely to develop well for that role, I'm all for Ndidi. Would be a great midfielder to have.

Ideally I would have 4 man rotation of this:

Pogba - The spear of the attack
Ndidi - The shield of the attack (destroyer)
CM - Player who can run the show with their passing and technical ability (Scholes)
DM - Player who will get stuck in and help run the passing game like Garner

This way the midfield can go defensive when it wants, but also lean towards attacking against bottom sides. The midfield can run the show, help out the defense, help out the attack, and has energy. It's a complete midfield.

sherrinford

We need a DM who is better on the ball IMO.
Is that more important than having a player who excels in shielding the defence with athleticism and aggression? Those who excel in possession tend to either be quite weak defensively or, if they are proficient, they tend to defend in a more cerebral manner.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is that more important than having a player who excels in shielding the defence with athleticism and aggression? Those who excel in possession tend to either be quite weak defensively or, if they are proficient, they tend to defend in a more cerebral manner.
As important. If you keep making concessions when it comes to quality on the ball you end up with a limited team. Casemiero worked at Madrid because the rest of the team had so much talent on the ball

sherrinford

As important. If you keep making concessions when it comes to quality on the ball you end up with a limited team. Casemiero worked at Madrid because the rest of the team had so much talent on the ball
That is true of all aspects though not just technical ability, and with virtually every player you bring into a side you are compromising on some facet of the game - you don’t get a #6 that is both Pirlo and Makelele, a #8 that is both Gattuso and Xavi, or a #10 that is both Zidane and Vidal.

I think we need energy, physicality and mobility in midfield. So if we did go for a ‘passer’ in the holding role, we would require the other #8 to provide that.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
It makes no sense what so ever to compromise on defensive ability in the one position you can't afford it. The role of defense protector and ender of opposition moves. In that role your defensive ability to should be paramount. Then your passing skill should be looked at. Never the other way round.

Its in other roles in which your passing should be paramount

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It makes no sense what so ever to compromise on defensive ability in the one position you can't afford it. The role of defense protector and ender of opposition moves. In that role your defensive ability to should be paramount. Then your passing skill should be looked at. Never the other way round.

I'd also agree with this. A good passing DM is a bonus for me, I'll always prioritize his defensive contribution.

amolbhatia50k

Yet City have bossed the premier league with Fernandinho as CDM who offers a whole lot more than a pure destroyer woulf. If you want to play sexy football you tend to have to make those sort of footballing decisions that are in line with your style of play. I have no issues with a brilliant defensive monster in that role but would prefer someone who can build play well (like Carrick, Alonso etc or thereabouts) especially given we don't actually have terrific playmakers ahead in midfield ala City (current) of Madrid (consecutive CL team).

amolbhatia50k

I'd also agree with this. A good passing DM is a bonus for me, I'll always prioritize his defensive contribution.
I personally prefer the defensive excellence to either come from the system (like City manage) or from brilliant individuals in defence (United under SAF). In the absence of those, of course you need your DM to be a rock defensively.

But that's the point wirh the teams that play sexy football - they tend to subvert the traditions and make lesser concessions in their vision than others - playing out from the back to perfect it when everybody telling them to be pragmatic, playing AMs in midfield when what you need is 'propah' CMs, signing somebody like Firmino as your 9 when tradition tells you that your 9 should be a goalscorer, and so on.

Of course success comes in many forms. And traditional views have obviously led to many of football's great stories. But I do feel that concessions while they're always made in any walk of life, in football management the top managers tend to make less of them and stick to their beliefs whatever they may be. Or at least their concessions are in line with their beliefs if that makes sense.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I personally prefer the defensive excellence to either come from the system (like City manage) or from brilliant individuals in defence (United under SAF). In the absence of those, of course you need your DM to be a rock defensively.

But that's the point wirh the teams that play sexy football - they tend to subvert the traditions and make lesser concessions in their vision than others - playing out from the back to perfect it when everybody telling them to be pragmatic, playing AMs in midfield when what you need is 'propah' CMs, signing somebody like Firmino as your 9 when tradition tells you that your 9 should be a goalscorer, and so on.

Of course success comes in many forms. And traditional views have obviously led to many of football's great stories. But I do feel that concessions while they're always made in any walk of life, in football management the top managers tend to make less of them and stick to their beliefs whatever they may be. Or at least their concessions are in line with their beliefs if that makes sense.
Since we're nowhere near enough emulating a good collective system that makes the need for a pure destroyer redundant, I'd honestly settle for one at the moment. When/if we improve down the line, it could work out yeah.
Fernandinho has been from the start their destroyer, it's just that with time and experience, he became a much better player all around. We need to learn to crawl before walking.

amolbhatia50k

That is true of all aspects though not just technical ability, and with virtually every player you bring into a side you are compromising on some facet of the game - you don’t get a #6 that is both Pirlo and Makelele, a #8 that is both Gattuso and Xavi, or a #10 that is both Zidane and Vidal.

I think we need energy, physicality and mobility in midfield. So if we did go for a ‘passer’ in the holding role, we would require the other #8 to provide that.
Yes of course. Nobody is claiming you get everything in a single footballer. It depends on the view/vision you have and what sort do footballer aligns with that vision. I don't mind energy, phyacuality and mobility, but I really don't feel it's as big a problem as passing, close control, vision and playmaking, for this United team. I think Mctominay gives you energy. Matic gives you physicality. Fred gives a little bit both I suppose when he's not terrible. And I also think it's harder to find that class and easier to find the mobility and work rate. Don't mind your formula (of having the 8 as the technically excellent one) but we haven't signed that player for this destroyer to play off, and hence for me personally the player who aides our buildup is a bigger priority.

amolbhatia50k

Since we're nowhere near enough emulating a good collective system that makes the need for a pure destroyer redundant, I'd honestly settle for one at the moment. When/if we improve down the line, it could work out yeah.
Fernandinho has been from the start their destroyer, it's just that with time and experience, he became a much better player all around. We need to learn to crawl before walking.
Learning to only crawl may leave us crawling forever. Your point is a solid one, but at what point do we start focusing on technical brilliance? Our RB, who I'm in favour of, is one who is limited going forward. I'm fine with that one. Shaw isn't very productive. Having a pure destroyer at CDM IMO would be overkill. Again, this can be compensated by having a CB, and two CMs to counter it but as of now we have just one of those three - Pogba - and he too may leave soon.

Both aprpaiched can work of course. But for a team that has been hopeless in attack for 6 years (and hopeless in defence for one or two?) I'm not sure filling out squad with technically limited players will get us anywhere.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
At this stage if the transfer window, I'm inclined to say forget about signing attacking players, let's just get the defensive aspect of the team sorted out.
Replace Young at RB with Wan-Bissaka
Replace Matic at DM with Ndidi
Replace Jones at CB with Diop

It might not be the most exciting window, but it would really give us a strong defensive base to build from.