Wilfred Ndidi - Leicester Player

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Learning to only crawl may leave us crawling forever. Your point is a solid one, but at what point do we start focusing on technical brilliance? Our RB, who I'm in favour of, is one who is limited going forward. I'm fine with that one. Shaw isn't very productive. Having a pure destroyer at CDM IMO would be overkill. Again, this can be compensated by having a CB, and two CMs to counter it but as of now we have just one of those three - Pogba - and he too may leave soon.

Both aprpaiched can work of course. But for a team that has been hopeless in attack for 6 years (and hopeless in defence for one or two?) I'm not sure filling out squad with technically limited players will get us anywhere.
Ndidi isn't technically limited though, he just isn't among the best passing midfielders around. A creative DM will not have much impact if our wingers are crap and our fullbacks cannot attack, a creative DM is a great bonus to have when you have all the other attacking options present. Right now, we're basically starting from scratch.

Morpheus 7

I'd love him at United, perfect replacement for Matic. Just makes too much sense, won't buy him.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Yet City have bossed the premier league with Fernandinho as CDM who offers a whole lot more than a pure destroyer woulf....
You see. That is the problem right there. There is this mistaken assumption that the ONLY players exceptional defensively who operate as holding or defensive midfielders ate purely destructive players. Yet from Rijkaard, to Albertini, to Ince and Keane, Carrick even Busquets and Fernandinho it couldn't be further from the truth. The one thing all these players have with out exception is excellent defensive prowess coupled with an inate ability the right decision to constantly recycle possession. With passing vision as the add on to it. Not the priority. All of them too, without exception were the fulcrums of teams with sexy footballfootball as a result

If you want to play sexy football you tend to have to make those sort of footballing decisions that are in line with your style of play. I have no issues with a brilliant defensive monster in that role but would prefer someone who can build play well (like Carrick, Alonso etc or thereabouts) especially given we don't actually have terrific playmakers ahead in midfield ala City (current) of Madrid (consecutive CL team).
One thing I learnt long ago about football is if your fulcrum of the team is not exceptional defensively. On addition to having passing skill to link defence to midfield. You will always fail to play elite fluid football. Not matter the roster is talent you have

Last edited:

flappyjay

I'd love him at United, perfect replacement for Matic. Just makes too much sense, won't buy him.
Too limited, obviously not as limited as rice but still looking at how bad we are from getting the ball from the cb's to the attackers getting a cdm who has a limited passing range would just amplify the problem.

sherrinford

It makes no sense what so ever to compromise on defensive ability in the one position you can't afford it. The role of defense protector and ender of opposition moves. In that role your defensive ability to should be paramount. Then your passing skill should be looked at. Never the other way round.

Its in other roles in which your passing should be paramount
It can make sense if that is the strongest way to arrange the group of players making up a team. There is no general rule about where the ‘passer’ in midfield needs to be stationed.

Pirlo is the glaringly obvious example but is a bit of an anomaly given just how strong his ability on the ball was and how similarly strong his inability to defend was. Scholes played as a holding player alongside Fletcher, David Pizarro likewise next to De Rossi. Xabi Alonso was a very intelligent defender but didn’t really have the physical gifts to match your ‘defence protector and ender of opposition moves’ description. The same could be said of Carrick, Thiago Motta or Ruben Neves.

Ndidi isn't technically limited though, he just isn't among the best passing midfielders around. A creative DM will not have much impact if our wingers are crap and our fullbacks cannot attack, a creative DM is a great bonus to have when you have all the other attacking options present. Right now, we're basically starting from scratch.
Indeed. Right now we are in dire need of an Ngolo Kante/Fernandinho type than Carrick type. For our attacking midfielders are not defensively disciplined. Even though they can defend.

If we had an AM who was postionially sound. Or defensively disciplined
It would make sense to place a Carrick/Busquets/Pirlo type alongside them

It can make sense if that is the strongest way to arrange the group of players making up a team. There is no general rule about where the ‘passer’ in midfield needs to be stationed.
It always matters. If for example you are going to place a gifted passer that deep. Whose defending is just ok. You wouldn't survive by placing pure passers ahead of him or beside him as midfield partners

Pirlo is the glaringly obvious example but is a bit of an anomaly given just how strong his ability on the ball was and how similarly strong his inability to defend was.
Not really. Pirlo's presence that deep was compensated by having box to box runners and ball winners on either side of him. Or alongside him.

Scholes played as a holding player alongside Fletcher, David Pizarro likewise next to De Rossi.
Which are both the archi type templater of a passer- ball winner/box to box player dynamic.

Xabi Alonso was a very intelligent defender but didn’t really have the physical gifts to match your ‘defence protector and ender of opposition moves’ description. The same could be said of Carrick, Thiago Motta or Ruben Neves.
Xabi Alonso was about as good defensively as a Fernandinho in his ability to tackle IMO. Its only physical , in terms of pace and raw power that he wasn't at par.

Its Carrick who did not have tackling as a strength. But made up for it with exceptional game reading when on top form.

The thing is a Fernandinho type is the Roy Keane/Ince type of holder. An all action player. Able to tackle and rumble with the most physical of them whilst still being cerebral game readers who consistently pick the right pass in possession to recycle that ball.

IMO the current make up of our midfield would function better with such a player. Because a Carrick type would need at least one of our other starting midfielders to be as defensively disciplined as a Fletcher or positionally sound as a Scholes. Yet the only starter in our ranks who was that way was Herrera.

Matic in current incarnation isn't defensively disciplined neither is Pogba. Neither is Fred. Mc Tominay is currently the only midfield partner we have who would suit a Carrick type.

sherrinford

It always matters. If for example you are going to place a gifted passer that deep. Whose defending is just ok. You wouldn't survive by placing pure passers ahead of him or beside him as midfield partners

Not really. Pirlo's presence that deep was compensated by having box to box runners and ball winners on either side of him. Or alongside him.

Which are both the archi type templater of a passer- ball winner/box to box player dynamic.

Xabi Alonso was about as good defensively as a Fernandinho in his ability to tackle IMO. Its only physical , in terms of pace and raw power that he wasn't at par.

Its Carrick who did not have tackling as a strength. But made up for it with exceptional game reading when on top form.

The thing is a Fernandinho type is the Roy Keane/Ince type of holder. An all action player. Able to tackle and rumble with the most physical of them whilst still being cerebral game readers who consistently pick the right pass in possession to recycle that ball.

IMO the current make up of our midfield would function better with such a player. Because a Carrick type would need at least one of our other starting midfielders to be as defensively disciplined as a Fletcher or positionally sound as a Scholes. Yet the only starter in our ranks who was that way was Herrera.

Matic in current incarnation isn't defensively disciplined neither is Pogba. Neither is Fred. Mc Tominay is currently the only midfield partner we have who would suit a Carrick type.
There’s a misunderstanding somewhere because you are making my point for me. There is nothing inherently wrong with the holding player being more of a ‘passer’, the midfield just needs to be balanced and involve players who compliment each other.

I agree with virtually everything you say here, with the exception of Xabi Alonso being Fernandinho-like in his ability and attitude in tackling. He was a very aware defender - he knew exactly where he was supposed to be at any given time, much like Carrick. The lack of pace and power ultimately did impact on his ability to cover across the pitch or press effectively though. The major difference between Carrick and him is that Alonso (aware as he was) would resort to cynical fouls when his physical shortcomings left him half a yard too slow or wrong side of his man (something I’m sure would have been encouraged by Benitez and Mourinho). Carrick was much fairer, or ‘nicer’.

Kemizee

Watched him play yet again against Burundi in the AFCON 2019, he is not limited at all. Carries the ball forward menacingly, breaks the play and harries opposition players off the ball. He wouldn't look out of place for us I think.

Champagne Football

Don't think Leicester will sell Ndidi and Maguire in same summer.
I think it will either be Idrissa Gueye or Longstaff for that position.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I think he’s the type of player you buy from their “previous team” and not after a PL team bought them for nothing and are now demanding 50m or whatever, he isn’t a 50m player, surely there are good athletic midfielders playing in France now, who are attainable for 15-20m.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I think he’s the type of player you buy from their “previous team” and not after a PL team bought them for nothing and are now demanding 50m or whatever, he isn’t a 50m player, surely there are good athletic midfielders playing in France now, who are attainable for 15-20m.
yes, United and other top 6 clubs need to either have the balls to buy them early or shut up and pay the fee demanded, clubs like us don't want to lose our best players and years of being the bullied we can now be the financial bullies.

Any player that is first choice at Leicester, Wolves Everton Etc. is going to cost an obscene amount, unless their contract is winding down then you have half a chance to get a reasonable deal

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Honestly can’t see Ndidi or Maddison leaving this summer, they don’t need the cash, both players on contracts, strong start under Rodgers. Not gonna happen.

Rossa

Too limited, obviously not as limited as rice but still looking at how bad we are from getting the ball from the cb's to the attackers getting a cdm who has a limited passing range would just amplify the problem.
The lack of capital letter really threw me off for a second there. I was thinking, sure, rice is no potato, but still...

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
yes, United and other top 6 clubs need to either have the balls to buy them early or shut up and pay the fee demanded, clubs like us don't want to lose our best players and years of being the bullied we can now be the financial bullies.

Any player that is first choice at Leicester, Wolves Everton Etc. is going to cost an obscene amount, unless their contract is winding down then you have half a chance to get a reasonable deal
Long may this continue honestly. Those clubs take the chance on unproven talent, top clubs shouldn't be able to pilfer them for a minor margin on top. Extort them for all they have.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Long may this continue honestly. Those clubs take the chance on unproven talent, top clubs shouldn't be able to pilfer them for a minor margin on top. Extort them for all they have.
It’s funny you say that, these clubs would have been seen as being poor but they all now have owners who seem to want to try and compete, none need to sell and indeed have a capacity to grow much bigger.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves

Honestly can’t see Ndidi or Maddison leaving this summer, they don’t need the cash, both players on contracts, strong start under Rodgers. Not gonna happen.
The power dynamic has certainly started to shift in the last few years.

Strangely, the only ones who can’t seem to see this is some United fans (not the majority), who still seem to think they can sign any player from any club they choose.

There’s a misunderstanding somewhere because you are making my point for me. There is nothing inherently wrong with the holding player being more of a ‘passer’, the midfield just needs to be balanced and involve players who compliment each other.

I agree with virtually everything you say here, with the exception of Xabi Alonso being Fernandinho-like in his ability and attitude in tackling. He was a very aware defender - he knew exactly where he was supposed to be at any given time, much like Carrick. The lack of pace and power ultimately did impact on his ability to cover across the pitch or press effectively though. The major difference between Carrick and him is that Alonso (aware as he was) would resort to cynical fouls when his physical shortcomings left him half a yard too slow or wrong side of his man (something I’m sure would have been encouraged by Benitez and Mourinho). Carrick was much fairer, or ‘nicer’.
To be fair to Mourinho though. He loved Carrick

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
You see. That is the problem right there. There is this mistaken assumption that the ONLY players exceptional defensively who operate as holding or defensive midfielders ate purely destructive players. Yet from Rijkaard, to Albertini, to Ince and Keane, Carrick even Busquets and Fernandinho it couldn't be further from the truth. The one thing all these players have with out exception is excellent defensive prowess coupled with an inate ability the right decision to constantly recycle possession. With passing vision as the add on to it. Not the priority. All of them too, without exception were the fulcrums of teams with sexy footballfootball as a result
To me, the discussion is coloured by the makele falsum, where some people think he defined the position. There were plenty who came before him in that role who did it better than him. The difference is that they were also good enough on the ball to not be classified as "destroyers" or purely defensive midfielders (see also guys like Souness, Matthaus, and today Fabinho). You need both and it's not as elusive as some would believe.

Add to that - one thing that struck me many years ago, some time in the houllier era when Michael Laudrup was commenting on a Liverpool game and why he didn't feel this team could go all the way, he said something along the lines of "when you look at great teams that win major titles over several years, one thing they tend to have in common is having good ball players at the back". It's more emphasised now, but it's always been a strong component of successful football.

NYAS

At this stage if the transfer window, I'm inclined to say forget about signing attacking players, let's just get the defensive aspect of the team sorted out.
Replace Young at RB with Wan-Bissaka
Replace Matic at DM with Ndidi
Replace Jones at CB with Diop

It might not be the most exciting window, but it would really give us a strong defensive base to build from.
I get what you mean but if we signed Ndidi I would be over the fecking moon. Would be very exciting.

In Rainbows

Why do people think getting Ndidi means we're not going to try for a better passer in the future? A defensive midfielder that can pass very well is always preferable, but having a destroyer as a squad option would be great. For example, if Garner develops really well he's the exact type of player people want.

Currently Matic does not provide defensive prowess, nor does he provide great passing. Ndidi is a little worse on the ball than Matic, but his defensive ability is much better than Matic. If we had Pogba and Ndidi, all we would be missing is that passing midfielder as then our midfield would be complete. Complete because it's able to help the side defend, help the side's creativity, help the side set the right tempo, help start attacks, and help the side by being able to bail out players from losing possession.

Matic doesn't help solve anything. Ndidi does.

That is true of all aspects though not just technical ability, and with virtually every player you bring into a side you are compromising on some facet of the game - you don’t get a #6 that is both Pirlo and Makelele, a #8 that is both Gattuso and Xavi, or a #10 that is both Zidane and Vidal.

I think we need energy, physicality and mobility in midfield. So if we did go for a ‘passer’ in the holding role, we would require the other #8 to provide that.
This is how I look at things too in regards to a midfield trio. It doesn't matter how you accomplish it. What matters is that the midfield is complete. One combination was Juve circa the Pogba Pirlo Vidal era. Another combination was the Iniesta Busquets Xavi trio. There are different combinations to achieve it. Ndidi helps accomplish one or two of the midfield's tasks. The last component would then be a technically gifted player who can run things through their passing.

Matic is currently better than Ndidi in passing and technical ability. Doesn't mean much if he's mediocre at any part of the midfield's tasks. He's not a great defensive player. Not a great attacking player. He doesn't provide energy. He isn't the best player to give the ball to in order to retain possession. He's not the best passer like a Modric is.

Last edited:

DCP

He would be an incredible signing, however I haven't seen anything linking him with us; or even anything linking him with a move.

Let's face it, Ndidi, Neves, Moutinho, Rice, Capoue, Doucoure, Tielemans would improve our midfield in one way or another.

To me, the discussion is coloured by the makele falsum, where some people think he defined the position. There were plenty who came before him in that role who did it better than him. The difference is that they were also good enough on the ball to not be classified as "destroyers" or purely defensive midfielders (see also guys like Souness, Matthaus, and today Fabinho). You need both and it's not as elusive as some would believe.

Add to that - one thing that struck me many years ago, some time in the houllier era when Michael Laudrup was commenting on a Liverpool game and why he didn't feel this team could go all the way, he said something along the lines of "when you look at great teams that win major titles over several years, one thing they tend to have in common is having good ball players at the back". It's more emphasised now, but it's always been a strong component of successful football.
Amen. I've never understood the love for Makelele and the inane assumption that he defined the role. To me he was always the antithesis of what a top midfield anchor man is. Especially for any top team wedded to an attacking philosophy.

Sea-Cow

Not good enough on the ball for a top club.
Respectfully disagree!

Maybe if by "top" you mean the current top three clubs in the world (City, Barca, Bayern), then maybe I would agree with you.

But thats as far as I'm willing to go. He would be great for us, defensively, work-rate-wise, determination, and his ability on the ball! Whether or not we still qualify as a "top" club is debatable, I grant you. But thats probably for another sub.

Respectfully disagree!

Maybe if by "top" you mean the current top three clubs in the world (City, Barca, Bayern), then maybe I would agree with you.

But thats as far as I'm willing to go. He would be great for us, defensively, work-rate-wise, determination, and his ability on the ball! Whether or not we still qualify as a "top" club is debatable, I grant you. But thats probably for another sub.
He is about as good on the ball as a Javi Martinez. Who won Bayern a treble

The Irish Connection

He would be an incredible signing, however I haven't seen anything linking him with us; or even anything linking him with a move.

Let's face it, Ndidi, Neves, Moutinho, Rice, Capoue, Doucoure, Tielemans would improve our midfield in one way or another.
You’re dead right. We’re desperately in need of someone like Ndidi, Rice or Neves. Matic has looked laboured after his first half season with us. Would take Longstaff if none of the above. I’m just worried we won’t sign anyone for the position.

Needham

Sign him. Team will have great conviction about it with Ndidi and Shaw.