Wilfred Zaha to stop taking the knee

Deery

Dreary
Zaha is to stop taking the knee as he feels that as a Black man he should stand tall and be proud.

'I’ve said before that I feel like taking the knee is degrading and stuff because growing up my parents just let me know that I should be proud to be black no matter what and I feel like we should just stand tall”.

Couldn’t find his player performance thread didn’t want to post it in the rugby knee discussion.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

Was coming to post this. Will be interesting to see the take on this.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Up to him. I understand why others feel its a show of strength though.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
If Zaha wants to stand on his head in the centre circle before kick-off to highlight discrimination, that’s his prerogative. More power to him and he should be supported.

It’s absolutely mental in this day and age, however, that people have to make these stands (for want of a better word) to highlight plight and suffering in order to ensure equality for all.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If people feel like they're achieving something by taking the knee, and they're then not actually doing anything about it further. Maybe he has a point?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Saw this yesterday.

Up to him but his reasoning is bollocks.

Heard him talk a lot this week and I'm starting to find him dislikeable.

Fully support him, and as I’ve said before it’s the players decision about whether to continue.

someone had to come out and do it first.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
He can obviously do what he wants, but taking a knee is a symbol standing up isn't.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

It's a shame he feels that way but fair enough.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't care whether players take the knee or refuse to take the knee so long as the reasons behind it is one to drive equality.

Zaha feels he shouldn't because the meaning is lost, he's proud to be black etc. which is completely fair. Others may continue to do it as they feel empowered by doing so. It doesn't really matter to me personally one way or another, but I think the real beast to tackle is with clamping down the racists. Social Media corporations need to do something to tackle the issue.

Deery

Dreary
Saw this yesterday.

Up to him but his reasoning is bollocks.

Heard him talk a lot this week and I'm starting to find him dislikeable.
I can kind of understand his reasoning, he’s black and equal and wants to be seen as such.

It was a matter of time before this happened, maybe the taking of a knee has run its course.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Tweet doesn't really give the full story... whilst he feel the symbol of taking the knee is degrading, that's not the reason he's not going to take it anymore.

" Trying to get the meaning behind it, it’s becoming something that we just do now and that’s not enough for me. I’m not going to take the knee, I’m not going to wear Black Lives Matter on the back of my shirt because it feels like it’s a target."

Basically

FreddieTheReddie

Will be interesting to see what other black and white players will do now. Black players stand up, whites tale the knee? I want to see Greenwood’s confused face when he can’t decide.

FreddieTheReddie

I can kind of understand his reasoning, he’s black and equal and wants to be seen as such.

It was a matter of time before this happened, maybe the taking of a knee has run its course.
How does he show he’s equal if he’s standing up while others are not?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I wonder if Moyes daughter will stop taking the knees as well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How does he show he’s equal if he’s standing up while others are not?
He's saying the whole concept of saying Black Lives Matter, and taking the knee is isolating races.

I disagree on the taking the knee front, because all races unite together against a common racism/discrimination context. I agree with him on the Black Lives Matter slogan, isolating Blacks from everyone else.

The main thing here is that his reasons are genuine and for the betterment of equality. So I don't really think it should be an issue if he stands and others take the knee. He's not racist or discriminatory as a person and we all know that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It was never mandatory, and if that's what he feels is right then fair play. I think most sensible people would support his decision.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Will be interesting to see what other black and white players will do now. Black players stand up, whites tale the knee? I want to see Greenwood’s confused face when he can’t decide.
Because he's mix raced?

Tomics

I support him 100 Percent. What is the point of taking a knee if nothing else is done about it? I believe there are other approaches that will make a difference than just kneeling down

Deery

Dreary
Tweet doesn't really give the full story... whilst he feel the symbol of taking the knee is degrading, that's not the reason he's not going to take it anymore.

" Trying to get the meaning behind it, it’s becoming something that we just do now and that’s not enough for me. I’m not going to take the knee, I’m not going to wear Black Lives Matter on the back of my shirt because it feels like it’s a target."

Basically
That was in the tweet..

The Original

He can obviously do what he wants, but taking a knee is a symbol standing up isn't.
When everyone else is kneeling, standing is a symbol. Not that I support Zaha's lime of thought.

Personally think the kneeling has lost its momentum and can be stopped now.

FreddieTheReddie

Because he's mix raced?
If black players stand up but white players take the knee, what should mixed race players do? In theory? I have no idea. I white player would be called racist id stood up. I would be very confused if I were mixed race.

FreddieTheReddie

Because he was raised by his parents to see himself as an equal and see’s having to take a knee to prove it as degrading to him.
But everyone else is doing it. I don’t care what he does, I’m just happy I don’t have to decide because in 2021 people are called racist for everything. If you recognise colour your are racist if you don’t recognise colour you are more racist.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
When everyone else is kneeling, standing is a symbol. Not that I support Zaha's lime of thought.

If everyone else is kneeling and you're standing, surely that's a symbol of being opposed to what people are kneeling for?
If black players stand up but white players take the knee, what should mixed race players do? In theory? I have no idea. I white player would be called racist id stood up. I would be very confused if I were mixed race.
Stop while you're behind.

Deery

Dreary
But everyone else is doing it. I don’t care what he does, I’m just happy I don’t have to decide because in 2021 people are called racist for everything. If you recognise colour your are racist if you don’t recognise colour you are more racist.
I think you’re missing the point a bit it’s because he doesn’t see why he has to justify his colour by kneeling which is fair enough. I don’t think that’s correct what you’re saying either about racism, that’s only a mindset to see it that way.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Symbol for what cause though? He's obviously free to do what he wants, but he doesn't really have the global appeal to start a trend while trying to remove an old one.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I the only colour I care about is that sweet green.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The taking the knee stemmed from Kaepernick during the national anthem at NFL games (I think, correct me if I'm wrong), and in that context it was a very powerful and profound gesture.

I guess without crowds, and the fact there's no anthems played prior to kick off, it loses some of its impact. (And I think with match day fans in, it will have a great impact).

However, having said that, it's still a powerful image seeing 22 players and the officials taking the knee with a fist raised as it shows togetherness. And the commentator always mentions the ongoing battle against racism whilst it happens. So the messaging is pretty strong and consistent and it has been since they've started doing it.

So, yes, definitely support his prerogative in refusing to take the knee although I don't agree with his reasons.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I hope this post is due to stupidity and you're not actually trying to be funny.

FreddieTheReddie

I hope this post is due to stupidity and you're not actually trying to be funny.
Apologies, I wasn’t trying to be funny or offensive and I’m definitely not stupid. I just imagined a scenario what obviously I souldn’t have shared here becouse people find it offensive. I didn’t expect that. I just asked myself the question what I would do on the pitch if I were black/mixed race/white and I couldn’t answer. So sorry everyone for being inconsiderate I will rather discuss this with friends who won’t ferl offended.