Wilfried Zaha

C'est Moi Cantona

Excellent, we could get £15 m on the sell clause to reduce the net spend further, people thought £100 million was laughable, we could hit £50 million at this rate.

Robbie Boy

Last year he got 10 goals and 11 assists in a poor side where he always gets targeted by the opposition.

I'd say that's pretty damn good.
Good yeah nowhere near the amazing player he’s made out to be on here. Be a great signing for Everton. Not a top side.

Robbie Boy

He also won a lot of penalties.
Yup, I remember reading before that his stats are skewed due to assists being awarded for winning penalties. He’s a decent player, but nowhere near worth the money that’s being touted.

Nani was a far better player and he was regularly slated on here. Zaha is still wildly erratic so if in some universe we were to sign him, when the hysteria died down, he would no doubt be targeted on here. Good player? Yep. Top player? Nah.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
What's he going to do at Everton that he can't at Palace? Maybe play in the Europa League in a few years if he's lucky?
With the way Everton have recruited they look like they have ambitions to challenge the top 6, they've made some very good signings this summer. Palace on the other hand will struggle to get beyond mid table.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
With the way Everton have recruited they look like they have ambitions to challenge the top 6, they've made some very good signings this summer. Palace on the other hand will struggle to get beyond mid table.
That's my point. They might challenge for top 6, maybe. Is this really the best Zaha can get?

Robbie Boy

Exactly. And plus, Silva is a good progressive coach. I believe now that he has a team of mostly his players, they will play good expansive stuff. Much better than playing under Hodgson ffs.

Nick7

To be fair, the last time Everton had a "great" high spending summer they were fecking shite and ended the season with big Sam in charge.

sherrinford

Yup, I remember reading before that his stats are skewed due to assists being awarded for winning penalties. He’s a decent player, but nowhere near worth the money that’s being touted.

Nani was a far better player and he was regularly slated on here. Zaha is still wildly erratic so if in some universe we were to sign him, when the hysteria died down, he would no doubt be targeted on here. Good player? Yep. Top player? Nah.
Winning penalties is a good thing. Why would you look at that as ‘skewing’ the stats?

Nani was not a far better player, and rightly would have been slated earlier on in his career here but surely not while he was doing very well for us later.

Define top player? I think generally Zaha wouldn’t look out of place at any top six club.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
That's my point. They might challenge for top 6, maybe. Is this really the best Zaha can get?
Apart from Arsenal sounds like no other top 6 club has shown a solid interest or made a move, with us signing Pepe he’s probably thinking this might be his last chance for a move? He’ll be 27 soon and unless you are absolutely exceptional a lot of the top clubs prefer buying younger players for the kind of money Palace are asking for.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He would be great here. Instead of spending on James and adding depth, we should have buy him and resolve right wing position.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
He's going to scare off any potential buyers at this rate.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Apart from Arsenal sounds like no other top 6 club has shown a solid interest or made a move, with us signing Pepe he’s probably thinking this might be his last chance for a move? He’ll be 27 soon and unless you are absolutely exceptional a lot of the top clubs prefer buying younger players for the kind of money Palace are asking for.
That's because of the buy back clause Utd have got in. Essentially buying clubs will have to pay 15m above his value. I always thought that putting that clause was not in Utds best interest, they've made it more difficult for him to be sold. Instead they shouldve removed the clause and got a discount on AWB.

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
Why does Zaha get so much of a bad rep? Is he a diver? I've never really understood the reaction that some have about him, good to see the VAR overturned the yellow card he initially got for diving. Maybe he does exaggerate but the way he falls is no worse than my teams Mane who also sometimes has a reputation for diving.

Also I wonder if his reputation means that even blatant fouls get overlooked, guendozis foul on him was worthy of a red, maybe if it had happened to another player it would have been.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why does Zaha get so much of a bad rep? Is he a diver? I've never really understood the reaction that some have about him, good to see the VAR overturned the yellow card he initially got for diving. Maybe he does exaggerate but the way he falls is no worse than my teams Mane who also sometimes has a reputation for diving.

Also I wonder if his reputation means that even blatant fouls get overlooked, guendozis foul on him was worthy of a red, maybe if it had happened to another player it would have been.
The same is happening to Daniel James.

peridigm

How is Zaha getting on this season. Can’t say I’ve seen or heard much about him. Did we forfeit the buyback clause when we bought AWB?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Players don't get assists for winning penalties.

Devil81

Read today he gives 10% of his weekly wage to charity, I know a lot of players are doing this now but it still makes me like someone more when I hear this.

Fair bit of money that is as well.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Read today he gives 10% of his weekly wage to charity, I know a lot of players are doing this now but it still makes me like someone more when I hear this.

Fair bit of money that is as well.
Yeah, 10x what Mata does.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Picked up with goals and assists again in the last few weeks and is back to doing what he does best. Also has a new agent for January after sacking his last one for not sorting a move in the summer, so expecting more turbulence to come.

I expect Chelsea will be in for him and for a change we are in a healthy position (points-wise) going in to January. If we can have 35 on the board going in to the last week or so of the window then I am not sure there will ever be a better time to sell him and see how we cope. We all know he is a gonner now or in the summer and selling in January will at least give us the points buffer to implement a system change and bed in his replacement. It also gives us a chance to see what else we’d still need in his absence that we can address in the summer, as I have always thought replacing him fully will take 3 players.

Need those points on the board first though, wouldn’t be comfortable selling him even with 27 points already.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Who do you think will replace Auba in that case?
I don't know, it will depend on where we finish and if Arteta can get Pepe going on the RW. We could go Martinelli-Laca-Pepe with Nelson and Saka as back-up.
We need to add someone who can chip in 8/12 goals from midfield to balance Auba's volume of goals. This would be the ideal route and the most cost effective. Extremely risky to have 3 teenagers out of 4 spots though.
Unless we win the EL out of nowhere we're pretty much condemned to mix it up upfront and hope it works while the massive issues at the back needs to be dealt with.

redmeister

Picked up with goals and assists again in the last few weeks and is back to doing what he does best. Also has a new agent for January after sacking his last one for not sorting a move in the summer, so expecting more turbulence to come.

I expect Chelsea will be in for him and for a change we are in a healthy position (points-wise) going in to January. If we can have 35 on the board going in to the last week or so of the window then I am not sure there will ever be a better time to sell him and see how we cope. We all know he is a gonner now or in the summer and selling in January will at least give us the points buffer to implement a system change and bed in his replacement. It also gives us a chance to see what else we’d still need in his absence that we can address in the summer, as I have always thought replacing him fully will take 3 players.

Need those points on the board first though, wouldn’t be comfortable selling him even with 27 points already.
I read this a few times from Palace fans during the summer window. Why do you think Chelsea will be in for him? I thought Palace fans were just saying as they didn't want him to go to Arsenal, but at the time felt bad that he'd me missing out on a big move, so started saying Chelsea would move for him once their ban was up. Surely Chelsea are going to be looking at the likes of Sancho and Grealish as attacking options. I'd have thought the likes of Everton, Wolves and maybe Leicester would see him as a useful addition to their squads. The latter 2 have great teams and another dynamic option like Zaha, would give them real attacking strength in depth.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Wolves? Do me a favour!

From what I have heard there is reasonably solid interest in him from Chelsea; I presume it’s because Pedro is likely to go and Willian hasn’t agreed a new contract, so there are potentially two vacancies to fill on the wing. I expect Chelsea are also interested in Sancho to be fair, but so are a lot of other teams and there‘s only one Sancho to go around.

Wilf also deserves more respect on his name you know, people love an emergence (check the hype on Adama Traore and Grealish right now) but Wilf has consistently carried us like that for seasons. Easily good enough to make an impact at a proper big club, not a Wolves, Everton or Leicester.

redmeister

Wolves are a really good team and the club/project seems very well run. If none of the big 6 come in for him, which seems unlikely, Wolves and Leicester offer him by far the best chance of CL or EL football.

Where have you heard of Chelsea's interest? It sounds incredibly unlikely to me.