Wilfried Zaha

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
So it's between Chelsea and Spurs, club who might get banned from signing players and club that won't spend.
Zaha is a good fit for Spurs and they will have to spend this year. There are at least 4 of their squad that are leaving and the revenue from their stadium is coming on stream. Arsenal could quite easily beat Chelsea to win a place in the champions League and he would fit in there also.

El Jefe

He'd get found out at the top level in my opnion. Doesn't have the mentality for a big club, he's a whiner and will no doubt miss being out of London if he's to move to a club outside of the capital.

His game will not transfer well to a big club. If he was in the last year of his contract it's a risk worth taking for the big clubs but with the reported prices he represents a massive risk.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Zaha is a good fit for Spurs and they will have to spend this year. There are at least 4 of their squad that are leaving and the revenue from their stadium is coming on stream. Arsenal could quite easily beat Chelsea to win a place in the champions League and he would fit in there also.
Apparently Arsenal have 100 million to spend, wonder how much they will spend on Zaha who won't be cheap. Like I said, doubt Spurs will pay the asking price.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
What’s the fuss about people wanting to splash over £50m for Zaha? Ridiculous amount of money to spend on him.

Wilfried Zaha's Premier League contributions for Crystal Palace
> 2014-15: 31 games; 4 goals, 2 assists
> 2015-16: 34 games; 2 goals, 1 assist
> 2016-17: 35 games, 7 goals, 9 assists
> 2017-18: 29 games, 9 goals, 3 assists
> 2018-19: 34 games, 10 goals, 5 assists

Average. Some would even say poor.

...I get this guy carried Palace and saved them from relegation but those stats just aren’t very impressive. Effective player who I’d want, yes but not for the price tag being reported. I’d give £50m tops and even then I think it’s still pricy. £40m is what his true value probably is and is actually worth.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Apparently Arsenal have 100 million to spend, wonder how much they will spend on Zaha who won't be cheap. Like I said, doubt Spurs will pay the asking price.
Spurs will have to seriously think about their transfer policy if they want move up a gear. Even when they were buying they used to leave it until the last minute and more often that not miss out. They will have to spend if they want to keep Poch.

Based on how Zaha failed at Utd before I seriously question how he would perform at another club. He is Palace's main man and the team works around him. It would be a risk for any club to take him at the stupid figures being talked about. If he went for more than £45m it would still be a risk.

I'm a bit surprised you and many others think he would go to Utd. He has come out and said he wants Champions League football but were he to accept anything else he would be seen as a money grabber. Do Utd need a player with that type reputation hanging over them?

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
If he goes I'd most like it to be to Utd to be fair as I know we'd receive the highest fee off you, but like most I think that ship has sailed. There are three main suitors as I see it right now.

Arsenal - will offer a lower fee for sure but have players we might be interested in (Nelson, Smith-Rowe etc.)
Chelsea - £25-30mish plus Batshuayi coming our way might do it if they can avoid the ban.
Spurs - Need to buy players and still won't have access to the top shelf IMO.

Then there are some more unlikely ones:

Dortmund - May need a Sancho replacement and were looking at Wilf in January.
City - If Sane moves on there is a vacancy - wouldn't be a first choice replacement for them I am sure, but I would think he is on the list.
Liverpool - Not a top target again but they do need someone to rotate with the front 3. They also have players like Wilson we'd be interested in taking to bring the fee down.
PSG - Heard they made tentative enquiries recently.

It's in our interest to see how the first big moves play out before we accept any bids really. The more unlikely suitors may emerge as the window progresses.

roonster09

Scout
Spurs will have to seriously think about their transfer policy if they want move up a gear. Even when they were buying they used to leave it until the last minute and more often that not miss out. They will have to spend if they want to keep Poch.

Based on how Zaha failed at Utd before I seriously question how he would perform at another club. He is Palace's main man and the team works around him. It would be a risk for any club to take him at the stupid figures being talked about. If he went for more than £45m it would still be a risk.

I'm a bit surprised you and many others think he would go to Utd. He has come out and said he wants Champions League football but were he to accept anything else he would be seen as a money grabber. Do Utd need a player with that type reputation hanging over them?
He barely got a chance at Manutd. IIRC not even 2 full games worth of mins, he played around 150 mins in total which isn't enough.

Saying he wants Champions league football doesn't mean he will sign for only CL clubs, it also means he will sign for clubs that are capable of qualifying for CL. Moving from Palace to ManUtd won't be a money grabbing move, it's a move to bigger club. Doubt anyone is dumb enough to argue against that.

Edit: Also I don't believe he will move to Manutd as we won't make a move for him.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
He barely got a chance at Manutd. IIRC not even 2 full games worth of mins, he played around 150 mins in total which isn't enough.

Saying he wants Champions league football doesn't mean he will sign for only CL clubs, it also means he will sign for clubs that are capable of qualifying for CL. Moving from Palace to ManUtd won't be a money grabbing move, it's a move to bigger club. Doubt anyone is dumb enough to argue against that.

Edit: Also I don't believe he will move to Manutd as we won't make a move for him.
There are many clubs bigger than Palace. Bigger isn't always better and in Spurs and potentially Arsenals case they can offer Champions League football which he has specifically mentioned.

If you want me to say Utd are a bigger club I will.

I would also be surprised if Utd made a move.

roonster09

Scout
There are many clubs bigger than Palace. Bigger isn't always better and in Spurs and potentially Arsenals case they can offer Champions League football which he has specifically mentioned.

If you want me to say Utd are a bigger club I will.

I would also be surprised if Utd made a move.
Just offering CL is not enough, it's agreement between 3 parties, they should also pay the asking price. Also saying club xyz offers CL, so they are better is just short term thinking. Leicester also offered CL football and in Serie A good chance Atalanta will offer CL football, won't make them better prospect than say Roma who might finish 5th.

Anyways doubt ManUtd will make the move, so pointless.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
If he goes I'd most like it to be to Utd to be fair as I know we'd receive the highest fee off you, but like most I think that ship has sailed. There are three main suitors as I see it right now.

Arsenal - will offer a lower fee for sure but have players we might be interested in (Nelson, Smith-Rowe etc.)
Chelsea - £25-30mish plus Batshuayi coming our way might do it if they can avoid the ban.

City - If Sane moves on there is a vacancy - wouldn't be a first choice replacement for them I am sure, but I would think he is on the list.
Liverpool - Not a top target again but they do need someone to rotate with the front 3. They also have players like Wilson we'd be interested in taking to bring the fee down.

It's in our interest to see how the first big moves play out before we accept any bids really. The more unlikely suitors may emerge as the window progresses.
I hope you mean on loan, as there's no chance we'd swap them and money for Zaha

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Just offering CL is not enough, it's agreement between 3 parties, they should also pay the asking price. Also saying club xyz offers CL, so they are better is just short term thinking. Leicester also offered CL football and in Serie A good chance Atalanta will offer CL football, won't make them better prospect than say Roma who might finish 5th.

Anyways doubt ManUtd will make the move, so pointless.
It is pointless but I was interested to find out how Utd fans thought their chances of signing such a player might be effected by their failure to get Champions league football. Unless I'm mistaken this is now the 3rd time in the last 5 years that Utd have missed out on Champions league football. This isn't an odd occurrence in recent terms and it's hard to argue that it won't have an effect on Utd's ability to attract certain players. Yes they can pay more than most clubs but their ability to sign good players is waning and there is an argument that they could attract money grabbing players. Look at Sanchez. All clubs end up with some duds but if they want to attract the type of player that wants to challenge at the highest level they have to continuously qualify for the Champions League.

Champagne Football

If he goes I'd most like it to be to Utd to be fair as I know we'd receive the highest fee off you, but like most I think that ship has sailed.
Utd simply can not go into next season with James and Martial as our first choice wingers. I think Pepe will go to PSG. So I don't see too many young wingers out there who could take Utd to another level next season.

From watching him more than anyone on here, How do you rate him? He looks electric anytime I see him despite being dodgy in front of goal sometimes, but seems to be many on here who don't rate him.

Ekeke

I NEVER understand the 'he doesn't play right wing anymore' excuse The only reason he stopped playing right wing for Palace was Bolasie left and Townsend arrived. Not because he suddenly became shit at it or forgot how to play there.
His 2 best seasons are this season and last, where he played striker and left wing. He had a breakthrough since he stopped playing there

blue blue

Supports
chelsea

Were the ban to be suspended I think Chelsea might go for that. I haven't been watching him closely but how is he performing at Palace. He scored some goals for us but not consistently and he didn't fit our system. If Hazard goes it would make more sense.

(I bumped into Neil Shipperley walking his dog one day. We had a chat and he was a thoroughly good chap. Are you him?)

crossy1686

career ending
There are at least 10 players I'd want before we spent £100m on Zaha. Silly money for someone that will most likely be a flop outside of City or Liverpool's current teams, I even think he's struggle at Liverpool.

roonster09

Scout
It is pointless but I was interested to find out how Utd fans thought their chances of signing such a player might be effected by their failure to get Champions league football. Unless I'm mistaken this is now the 3rd time in the last 5 years that Utd have missed out on Champions league football. This isn't an odd occurrence in recent terms and it's hard to argue that it won't have an effect on Utd's ability to attract certain players. Yes they can pay more than most clubs but their ability to sign good players is waning and there is an argument that they could attract money grabbing players. Look at Sanchez. All clubs end up with some duds but if they want to attract the type of player that wants to challenge at the highest level they have to continuously qualify for the Champions League.
Zaha is not some superstar. We have signed way better players, with better reputation and from way bigger clubs than Palace without CL.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Zaha is not some superstar. We have signed way better players, with better reputation and from way bigger clubs than Palace without CL.
It would be glib a response to say "and where are they now?" but do you think Utd are immune to the effects of failing to get CL football ?

roonster09

Scout
It would be glib a response to say "and where are they now?" but do you think Utd are immune to the effects of failing to get CL football ?
I didn't say that. So ManUtd failed to qualify thrice and Chelsea failed to qualify twice and Arsenal around same number of times. Big deal. L

Where are they? Few are still playing and few have moved on.

Do you want me to list the players who signed for the club without CL football? I hope you have good enough memory to remember whether Chelsea was in CL when they signed Kante, Jorginho, Alonso and few more players.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
His 2 best seasons are this season and last, where he played striker and left wing. He had a breakthrough since he stopped playing there
Puhlease. People are confusing his end product statistics going up with 'break through'. Zaha has been CPs best player since he returned there. By some distance.

The only reason he statistics have improved is the team got stronger. Plus more attack minded It had zilch to do with 'role changing'. People forget at one point he was playing right wing under Tony Pulis when the team was using 20-30% possession most games.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I didn't say that. So ManUtd failed to qualify thrice and Chelsea failed to qualify twice and Arsenal around same number of times. Big deal. L

Where are they? Few are still playing and few have moved on.

Do you want me to list the players who signed for the club without CL football? I hope you have good enough memory to remember whether Chelsea was in CL when they signed Kante, Jorginho, Alonso and few more players.
No Utd aren't immune to the effects of not getting CL although Chelsea will be hurt more by the transfer ban.

They did manage to pre-empt by signing Pulisic but he's no Hazard replacement. Zaha wouldn't be either.

roonster09

Scout
No Utd aren't immune to the effects of not getting CL although Chelsea will be hurt more by the transfer ban.

They did manage to pre-empt by signing Pulisic but he's no Hazard replacement. Zaha wouldn't be either.
So what exactly is your point? Do you want me to list all the players who were signed by various clubs without CL?

There will be effects but it won't be on every player. There are very few who will be specific about CL but most of them will move for money and also with confidence that club will reach CL.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
So what exactly is your point? Do you want me to list all the players who were signed by various clubs without CL?

There will be effects but it won't be on every player. There are very few who will be specific about CL but most of them will move for money and also with confidence that club will reach CL.
You have already accepted my point that Utd aren't immune to effects of failing to get CL.

There is no need to say anything further on the matter. My other comments were an attempt to be friendly.

passing-wind

Can't see the club sanctioning 100 million when Sancho is the so called priority. I cannot see Arsenal / Spurs going for him solely because they could have already and genuinely don't spend anything north of 60 million on players. Chelsea are the most likely option if the ban can get uplifted.

Best scenario is to bid for Sancho, give Dortmund enough to fund the Zaha transfer. I'd take Wilfred here though the facts are he would be the best player down the right or the left, Martial has been w@nk under Solskjaer and Rashfoot is Ole's new centre forward.

Ekeke

Puhlease. People are confusing his end product statistics going up with 'break through'. Zaha has been CPs best player since he returned there. By some distance.

The only reason he statistics have improved is the team got stronger. Plus more attack minded It had zilch to do with 'role changing'. People forget at one point he was playing right wing under Tony Pulis when the team was using 20-30% possession most games.
So? He didnt do much with it, else why is he at Palace 3 years later?

Jonno

We get 20% off though don't we as we have a sell on clause. So Even if the bid was £80m we would get for closer to £60m. Which he's probably worth. He's improved massively this past couple of years.

HAZMANU

Cant see the point in putting all our eggs in one basket by buying Sancho for him to decide after half a dozen games that he doesn't fancy it..
Another Sanchez pogba or martial problem in the making..
The guy has even said he wants to stay in Dortmund so getting Zaha back for a proper run this time for a lot less dosh would in my opinion be the way to go.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
So? He didnt do much with it, else why is he at Palace 3 years later?
You have gladly overlooked the fact he ACTUALLY loves CP. Plus was recovering from a potentially career threatening spell at a big club. The kind that had people lying 'he hadn't improved' 2 years into his spell. A reason he decided to take up Ivory Coast's international football offer.

Heck they still lie about it to this day.

Only City, Liverpool and Chelsea with Hazard cab claim to have wingers in his league or arguably better. But to this day people lie 'he isn't good enough for the top 6'.

And to try and knock him for now being ready to leave the comfort of CP for the big time again as a mature pro, with a rebuilt reputation at 26 is frankly quite baffling.

If the English clubs keep being snobbish I hope Dortmund firm up their interest.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
You have gladly overlooked the fact he ACTUALLY loves CP. Plus was recovering from a potentially career threatening spell at a big club. The kind that had people lying 'he hadn't improved' 2 years into his spell. A reason he decided to take up Ivory Coast's international football offer.

Only City, Liverpool and Chelsea with Hazard cab claim to have wingers in his league or arguably better. But to this day people lie 'he isn't good enough for the top 6'.

And to try and knock him for now being ready to leave the comfort of CP for the big time again as a mature pro, with a rebuilt reputation at 26 is frankly quite baffling.

If the English clubs keep being snobbish I hope Dortmund firm up their interest.
Dortmund's record signing is under £30m so good luck with that :D

Last edited:

Adcuth

As he was Fergie's last signing and didn't get a chance, Ole will sign him to prove that Fergie was right about him

Nigel Refalo

Solskjaer during his time at Cardiff: "He is one of the best I have seen with the ball. He can grow up to become a proper player like Ronaldo if he wants.

Ekeke

If he loves Palace so much why is he leaving?

He's a good player who went to the next level in the past 2 seasons since being used up front last season. He's not better than Rashford and Martial though and he plays the same positions

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
If you listened to Everton fans about Lukaku and his first touch/losing the ball.

Just wait till you see this guy. Blimey.

AR87

If you listened to Everton fans about Lukaku and his first touch/losing the ball.

Just wait till you see this guy. Blimey.
Zaha at the price he's going to go for isn't good value, but unlike Lukaku he'd actually drive at defenders and take men on instead of chopping it back onto his strong foot and playing some low percentage floated ball to fecking Lingard at the far post.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Zaha at the price he's going to go for isn't good value, but unlike Lukaku he'd actually drive at defenders and take men on instead of chopping it back onto his strong foot and playing some low percentage floated ball to fecking Lingard at the far post.
For all his driving he barely does anything.