Will BLM inspire a bigger change across all strata of football?

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
We've seen the waves that BLM has created across the world, including our footballing community. There's already an entire thread dedicated to that topic so I won't drone on about it, but now that we've seen that change, to an extent, can be made this way, do you think that the powers that be in world football will take on other problematic issues? For example, taking away the world cup from Qatar because of their human rights record? Or banning countries like Iran from international football until they allow women to visit stadiums to watch games? Or do you think BLM is a one off and this is where the buck stops?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It would be great

Right now to oppose BLM loses you money so corporations and sports clubs are behind it

Right now opposing China on the Uighurs or Hong Kong loses you access to the world's biggest media market and a shit ton of money so Arsenal tells Ozil to shut the feck up regarding the Uighurs, LeBron tells Darryl Morey to shut the feck up regarding Hong Kong

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's like asking if his alleged near-death experience will change Johnson's mindset.

Mr Smith

In England there's some promise, especially with the player's getting so vocal and the league taking some very visible (if ultimately only symbolic) steps to get behind the movement. There will always be a radical minority, but those aren't the minds we're looking to change.

I'm less optimistic about the rest of the league's in Europe, countries like Italy in particular are still a long way off.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
To an extent. They are already selective in what they care and do not care about and as sad as it is, money is the biggest factor. If it benefits them financially to support something then they will - we can see it with the LGBTQ+, BLM, poppy and NHS support. All of these benefit them because it looks good to the majority of people so people will remain or be more invested. I'm still hopeful that the Saudi deal in terms of Newcastle will be called off too but I'm not overly convinced that it will. There are the issues that adexhola raises too - where something will mean that football takes a hit they probably won't support it...or the people at the top won't.

I think that Ben Mee coming out and doing what he did showed that it probably will in terms of the players who will stand up more to shit if it happens and I'd be shocked if we saw another incident like Liverpool/Suarez support but the people at the top will always be selective because of money.

Nickelodeon

It would be great

Right now to oppose BLM loses you money so corporations and sports clubs are behind it

Right now opposing China on the Uighurs or Hong Kong loses you access to the world's biggest media market and a shit ton of money so Arsenal tells Ozil to shut the feck up regarding the Uighurs, LeBron tells Darryl Morey to shut the feck up regarding Hong Kong
Nailed on

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We've seen the waves that BLM has created across the world, including our footballing community. There's already an entire thread dedicated to that topic so I won't drone on about it, but now that we've seen that change, to an extent, can be made this way, do you think that the powers that be in world football will take on other problematic issues? For example, taking away the world cup from Qatar because of their human rights record? Or banning countries like Iran from international football until they allow women to visit stadiums to watch games? Or do you think BLM is a one off and this is where the buck stops?

BLM focuses primarily on police brutality in the USA, and secondarily on racial struggles that black communities face essentially everywhere in the world. It's enough to have a weird sounding name to make it challenging to find a job for example in a foreign country. I think the BLM movement in the US is getting things done. When you have a populist president that is unable to unite the country, because he's a simpleton that speaks to simpletons, you're not going to find common ground, you are going to find polar opposites until a election gets rid of the problem on top, and the nation can start to heal.

Taking the world cup away from Qatar should have been done the moment it was awarded. It's one of the finest moments of public corruption that has come to light that no one cares enough about to do something about. 34 people have died during hte construction of the arenas due to various reasons, all related to the working conditions they are being built in. Essentially, working in the summer heat in Qatar doubles the likelyhood of a immigrant worker dying from heat exposure: https://www.theguardian.com/global-...rkers-dying-of-heat-stress-in-qatar-each-year - I hope that the suits at FIFA enjoy the underhanded money they got from making sure that some expendable immigrant workers could die while working on their new stadiums for their shiny cup that no team actually wants to participate in, simply because of the awful location.

Regarding Iran: I think the sentiment here is good, ensure that everyone gets equal rights. For me and you this is the most obvious thing that should always be allowed, its not even a topic of discussion,unfortunately its not the same everywhere in the world. Re: Iran I think this one is a bit yes and no. Banning countries like Iran only hurts the Iranians who participate. But it also hurts the women. Women's football in Iran is legitimately thriving and they compete internationally as well. There is a football league for women called the Kowsar Women Football League. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowsar_Women_Football_League )
They do attend football matches, but for women. Women were allowed to attend a Men's football game in Teheran in October 2019 against Cambodia. 3500 tickets were sold in a 78,000 capatcity stadium. This followed a woman literally setting herself ablaze because she was not allowed to attend a men's game. FIFA has been pushing for Iran to allow women to attend men's games since 2018. It's a slow moving process in a very strictly religious country. FIFA intervening to ban Iran from competing internationall is going to more harm than good. The Ayatollah do not typically respond positively to western pressure. As the modern world evolves, women's right will begin to shift in that part of the world as well.

As a whole i think that the buck will eventually stop and some progress will have been made. Absolute change does not happen immediaely but over a very, very long period of time. The protests certainly highlights the issues and brings about patchwork repairs to stem the anger, but systematic change takes decades. It does start somewhere however, and with regards to the police in America this BLM protest is a good candidate to bring it home.