Will Bruno leave penalties and free kicks to Ronaldo now?

diarm

I think it's why Fred is always standing over them whispering to Bruno. "Let's do that Beckham Giggs free-kick.

Bruno politely declines, because he doesn't want to be put out for a throw in.
:lol:

Mike Smalling

Will be interesting for sure. Ronaldo is arguably the biggest name in the sport and will insist on taking them, but Bruno has an extremely good record. Also, Bruno seems determined to beat his goal tally from last year and potentially get to 30, which he won't do without penalties.

Maybe they will take turns.

Bondi77

Bruno is miles ahead in pens, he's almost guaranteed a goal. I'd rather he take it (and for my FPL) but given Ronaldo's obsession with scoring goals, it's a given he'll take pens. We also will see less of them because of the knee-jerk changes go refereeing guidelines this season, so hopefully there won't be any crucial misses.

As for FKs, Pogba is our best FK to taker at short distances, he is always close or thereabout and given more opportunities, he'll score more.

For the long ones, I care less because they're unlikely to go in, so I'd actually give Rashford a go there.
When has Pogba scored a free kick for Utd?

Bondi77

Ronaldo scored a few screamers but overall he wasn’t that good,
Rooney was better.

Alemar

Ronaldo’s 100% on pens, the pressure for him to score lots will be so immense and his record is also superb so that’s definitely happening.
Bruno’a record is also quite good on goals scored. Maybe they will rotate penalties with Ronaldo. So far Bruno only missed one (and even then scored a rebound, so that’s hardly even a miss)

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He's good on pens so no worries there. The shit free kicks are just the tiny price you pay for having Ronaldo.

It's like dating Alexandra Daddario and finding out she really loves The Big Bang Theory TV show. You'd put up with that character flaw.

Bruno’a record is also quite good on goals scored. Maybe they will rotate penalties with Ronaldo. So far Bruno only missed one (and even then scored a rebound, so that’s hardly even a miss)
Bruno’s record is incredible, but Ronaldo will be taking them. I’m fine with that, as will everyone at the club because Ronaldo’s very good at them too, it’s just more important for him to tally the goals up, there’s so much more pressure on him to do so.

Chairman Steve

Of course it’s going to happen for penalties.

He‘ll get all the free kicks that are centre of the goal and 25m-30m from goal for his knuckleball attempts.

Alemar

Bruno’s record is incredible, but Ronaldo will be taking them. I’m fine with that, as will everyone at the club because Ronaldo’s very good at them too, it’s just more important for him to tally the goals up, there’s so much more pressure on him to do so.
But he will be able to score enough from open play anyway - we create many chances, and will be creating even more with Sancho. Re: penalties, it’s still a question of doing the best for the team (which is, surely, a higher percentage conversion rate).

That said, Bruno is at 21/22 (95%) for United (the missed one he also scored as a rebound) and 41/44 (93%) penalty conversion in his entire career.

Ronaldo is at a 139/166 (84% conversion) level for the whole career - so there is quite a difference

P.S. checked Ronaldo penalty stats for his United tenure - 17/20 (85%), so roughly the same

Last edited:
But he will be able to score enough from open play anyway - we create many chances, and will be creating even more with Sancho. Re: penalties, it’s still a question of doing the best for the team (which is, surely, a higher percentage conversion rate).

That said, Bruno is at 21/22 (95%) for United (the missed one he also scored as a rebound) and 41/44 (93%) penalty conversion in his entire career.

Ronaldo is at a 139/166 (84% conversion) level for the whole career - so there is quite a difference

P.S. checked Ronaldo penalty stats for his United tenure - 17/20 (85%), so roughly the same
You’re delving too deep, just as with Portugal where Bruno would be a slightly better bet, Ronaldo will take them.
If we talking a 20% swing, maybe not, but it’s marginal and I think Bruno himself will immediately give them to Ronnie.

Pickle85

He's good on pens so no worries there. The shit free kicks are just the tiny price you pay for having Ronaldo.

It's like dating Alexandra Daddario and finding out she really loves The Big Bang Theory TV show. You'd put up with that character flaw.
Rather enjoyed this analogy. And yes, that show is middle of the road drivel.

Strelok

I hope not. No player is bigger than the team. Atm imo Bruno is better than Ronaldo at both.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
A good portion of fks will need Ronaldo in the box. The direct ones will be shared I think so all in all Bruno will still take the majority.

Pens will depend on match situation I think.

BerryBerryShrew

I honestly don't think Ronaldo would have come here without being given assurances that he has dibs on pens.

lsd

The Oracle
Who else should take it that's at the club? Don't know if anyone else can do better than him really. Mata maybe but he won't be on the pitch often.

If Ronaldo wants to take them then there is no argument.

It's a myth Bruno is good at them as the stats clearly show.

Pogba is probably out best free kick taker after Mata who was you say will probably not be on the pitch.

As for penalties Ronaldo has taken penalties successfully in so many high pressure situations again why the debate if he wants them now

pacifictheme

Without a shadow of a doubt penalties. Bruno will be on hand and foot for ronaldo. Not sure about free kicks though. Although I'd love ronaldo to have a few of them for nostalgia sake.
Ronaldo's free kick record is horrendous these days. I wouldn't let him take them at all.

cyberman

Free kicks are overrated these days. It’s very rare that a player scores more than 1 per season

SirAnderson

If Ronaldo wants to take them then there is no argument.

It's a myth Bruno is good at them as the stats clearly show.

Pogba is probably out best free kick taker after Mata who was you say will probably not be on the pitch.

As for penalties Ronaldo has taken penalties successfully in so many high pressure situations again why the debate if he wants them now
From that stat of the 19/20 season posted earlier in the thread shows that Bruno has a better track record with Penalties in recent years, I would hope we keep it that way. If it's working no need to change it.
Freekicks sure, as the difference is negligible between them, and given that sometimes players rotate between themselves, it is more flexible to allow Ronaldo to take some, Bruno some and Pogba, think those 3 should be rotated to take them as they feel.

Chugger

I haven't seen much of him at Juve, did he take all their frees?

I have a friend who is a die hard Juve supporter. He constantly moaned about Ronaldo in general but in particular his Free Kick taking. Apparently he scored 1 in 60 attempts and kept players like Dybala from taking them. His big issue was that he felt CR's ego suppressed talent at the club.

Hopefully Cristiano will recognise Bruno is numero uno at United - the future of the club - and work with him rather than try and muscle in.

Reactions: Sultan

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I have a friend who is a die hard Juve supporter. He constantly moaned about Ronaldo in general but in particular his Free Kick taking. Apparently he scored 1 in 60 attempts and kept players like Dybala from taking them. His big issue was that he felt CR's ego suppressed talent at the club.

Hopefully Cristiano will recognise Bruno is numero uno at United - the future of the club - and work with him rather than try and muscle in.
There's a fine line between arrogance and confidence.

Let's hope he soon realises he needs to slowly hand over the baton and responsibility to others and work for the betterment of the team than just Ronaldo.

jem

One of the side benefits of having Ronaldo around for free kicks? We'll hopefully be spared the incredibly annoying sight of Fred lingering in the vicinity as the actual taker lines up his shot.

PoTMS

How good will it be to see Ronaldo and Bruno over freekicks rather than Fred and Bruno.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

He isn't suddenly gonna grow humble at this stage of his career. He has always taken frees and penalties wherever he has been, that won't change.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was even written into his contract.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I really hope he doesn't take the free kicks. That will piss me off. Ole should be the one who dictates this.

As for pens, he can have them because he's lethal at them.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Would be ridiculous to take Bruno off penalties. Free kicks it doesn’t really matter as no-one’s any good at them from close range. Just hope we stick Ronaldo in the box and leave Shaw or Bruno to whip it in whenever a cross is possible, Ronaldo’s far more threatening there than behind the ball.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ronaldo reduced his wage to join United. Call me crazy but maybe he's changed a little. With his connection to the club, him coming back home and the realization that he's 36 I think we'll see less ego from him. Here's hoping the old man has finally mellowed a bit and want the best for the club too, not only himself.

Someone

Something
Bruno has a better recent record, so it should be him, and it'd be a good sign of leadership of Ronaldo if he accepts that.