Will De Gea reach all time clean sheet record?

ManUnitedCanuck

He’s pretty close now, believe he only needs 12 to equal Schmeichel. Team is looking more solid at the back these days so could be close this season.
With lots of people stating we may move on for a keeper that can play the ball with his feet as well, this could be his last season as the number 1.

MattJ166

I'd actually like to see him get it to be honest, he was our best player for a number of years when we were absolutely dogshit and single handedly kept us in the running some times, he deserved much better when he was at his peak. It would be a good send off for him when we hopefully replace him at the end of the season.

Reactions: Invictus

Spaghetti

Mom's
I'd actually like to see him get it to be honest, he was our best player for a number of years when we were absolutely dogshit and single handedly kept us in the running some times, he deserved much better when he was at his peak. It would be a good send off for him when we hopefully replace him at the end of the season.
I don’t mind too much about De Gea breaking records, but I’d be happy with 13+ more clean sheets between now and the end of the season.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He’s pretty close now, believe he only needs 12 to equal Schmeichel. Team is looking more solid at the back these days so could be close this season.
With lots of people stating we may move on for a keeper that can play the ball with his feet as well, this could be his last season as the number 1.
40 games left perhaps ... Decent chance he makes it injury permitting

leon24

Definitely deserves his spot in our record books

joso157

He's only 40 odd games off having more appearances than Stepney too, he probably won't be far off that if he stays fit and plays the europa games as well this season.

MiceOnMeth

It would be the most underwhelming record break considering how little he's won with us post Fergie but it's hard to say he doesn't deserve it

tomaldinho1

Is this all comps or just PL? If all comps, he'll easily do it this season.

Devil81

Would be very well deserved, our top3 GK of all time
We shouldn't be even considering him close to the top two given his mistakes over the last 3 seasons.

Its a top 2 and the rest in my opinion, he's basically lost us double figure matches with the most insane mistakes I've ever seen off a keeper. I'd actually go as far as saying I've never known a top level keeper make as many huge mistakes ever, he's let the ball spill under him nearly 10 times at least.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I think he will given we are playing Europa and that our defence has improved massively. Only stumbling block would be a Varane and/or Martinez injury.

Boondog

Gotta say he has been looking damn good with that back line playing lights out in front of him. I'm sure it drives EtH batshit not having a sweeper back there but we are tough to score on when you have him to deal with if and when you get past that back four.

So yeah I figure he's going to make some noise this year up until they replace him with someone who can play the ball.

Just Hope

People understimate De Gea. I think he will manage 12 more clean sheets and adapt to the system required by the manager. You can already see it on how forward we defend set pieces, it gives David an opportunity to showcase his strengths. He already won a world cup with spain, he can't be THAT bad with his feet.

Irwin99

He will. He's also 5 games away from 500 hundred appearances for the club and 15 away from reaching the all-time top 10 appearances list for United. Another 40+ games and he's above Alex Stepney as the goalkeeper with the most games for the club.

There's absolutely a separate debate to be had about his distribution and command of the box but overall he's been a fantastic player for the club.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I want him to be replaced but while he's here I'll certainly be very happy to see him break whatever records he can, be it in terms of clean sheets or appearances (currently 15 away from our all time top ten, 44 away from being the goalkeeper with the most).

Because while I don't think he's really a good enough goalkeeper for us going forward, he's still a longstanding club servant who I like. So positive things are positive.

As for which of those records he will break, the clean sheets and top ten all time appearances seem likely I would think.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Would be great to get 12 clean sheets.

As far as the record books are concerned, it's probably best Schmeichel keeps it seeing as he played ~3 seasons less (should be ~25% less games)?

He already has a record number of Player of the Year awards, as a keeper. I'd argue that record describes his time and value to us as appropriately as Schmeichel's.

AussieDevil

There is a fair debate to have him in the top 5 premier league keepers of all time. I’ve never seen fans dread versing a keeper as they did De Gea 2015-2018. Was best keeper in the world for a good 18 months. I personally have him above Van Der Sar and it would be great for him to get the record.

Gazza

De Gea has won the League, FA cup, League cup, and the Europa League in his time here (so far), if he somehow gets his hands on the Champions League then he’ll have almost a full set of trophies, despite not winning many trophies numerically since he’s been here.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
There is a fair debate to have him in the top 5 premier league keepers of all time. I’ve never seen fans dread versing a keeper as they did De Gea 2015-2018. Was best keeper in the world for a good 18 months. I personally have him above Van Der Sar and it would be great for him to get the record.
:lol:

VDS was miles ahead of De Gea.

RkkMan

Think he'll not only reach but surpass it and set his own records including all time appearances for GKs if as expected his extra year gets triggered

norm87cro

Probably because he is here since 2011. But how many games will take him to have that record is a big question. He is a good servant to the club but he isnt on the level of Big Pete and VDS. The older fans can only say how he stands alongside Stepney or Gregg.

And frankly he is pretty decent with the ball in his feet but he still doesnt have the same teamamates as Ederson

SirAF

Ageist
People understimate De Gea. I think he will manage 12 more clean sheets and adapt to the system required by the manager. You can already see it on how forward we defend set pieces, it gives David an opportunity to showcase his strengths. He already won a world cup with spain, he can't be THAT bad with his feet.
No, he didn’t.

Oranges038

The manager has already changed his system to adapt to him because he just can't do it.

And no he didn't. He can't even get near the Spain squad anymore because of how bad he is with the ball at his feet and all his other well documented flaws.

If he gets the clean sheet record it'll be because of longevity and not because he's anywhere near being better than Schmeichel or VDS.

ekestubbe

He already won a world cup with spain, he can't be THAT bad with his feet.
Don't lie. He wasn't even in the squad. De Gea wasn't picked before Casillas until the World Cup 2016 (he was in the squad as 3rd pick for the Euros 2014) which is pretty much when Spain stopped winning tournaments.

Kaos

Definitely deserves it, and rightly goes down as a United legend, despite the fact he isn't anywhere near as good as our two previous goalkeeping behemoths.

Smores

I still think he'll stay at the end of the season and prove himself adaptable (enough)/to Ten Hags methods.

Van der sar went through plenty of poor patches of form across his career. All younger keepers do but most seem to find consistency in their 30s. De Gea is still 3 years younger than when VDS signed for us.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
want him to be replaced but while he's here I'll certainly be very happy to see him break whatever records he can, be it in terms of clean sheets or appearances (currently 15 away from our all time top ten, 44 away from being the goalkeeper with the most).
That's actually mad to think about. Very likely he'll break it too, I think there's a very strong chance he will be here for at least another season next year.

HarryP

I still think he'll stay at the end of the season and prove himself adaptable (enough)/to Ten Hags methods.

Van der sar went through plenty of poor patches of form across his career. All younger keepers do but most seem to find consistency in their 30s. De Gea is still 3 years younger than when VDS signed for us.
On what terms do you think he'll stay under?

He's currently earning ~£375k a week. IMO he's not worth a third of that - Ederson makes ~£165k and Alisson ~£150k. Another disgraceful piece of business from Woodward.

As a free agent, he will be able to demand premium wages and a hefty signing on free. No club in Europe will match his current salary, even as a free agent, but he'll still be relatively expensive. I honestly don't see the logic in him staying here unless ETH really wants to keep him - which I doubt tbh because there is undoubtedly other GKs out there that fit ETH's style better and make more economic sense.

scottser

what are the odds that he'll save a penalty for us before he retires?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's actually mad to think about. Very likely he'll break it too, I think there's a very strong chance he will be here for at least another season next year.
Probably.

Assuming he starts every PL game this season that's another 32 appearances straight away, leaving him on 527. So then he'd have to make another 12 to draw level with Stepney, 13 to go ahead of him. Add in cup appearances and he should be pretty close even by the end of this season.

Smores

On what terms do you think he'll stay under?

He's currently earning ~£375k a week. IMO he's not worth a third of that - Ederson makes ~£165k and Alisson ~£150k. Another disgraceful piece of business from Woodward.

As a free agent, he will be able to demand premium wages and a hefty signing on free. No club in Europe will match his current salary, even as a free agent, but he'll still be relatively expensive. I honestly don't see the logic in him staying here unless ETH really wants to keep him - which I doubt tbh because there is undoubtedly other GKs out there that fit ETH's style better and make more economic sense.

On the same terms knowing this club. He's overpaid but the reason other clubs may pay him a premium will also apply to us this summer, it saves from a transfer fee.

We already have other positions to reinforce so with a limited budget I just think that's where the cards with fall. Unless we identify a cheap option but doesn't seem likely.

I've no doubt ETH will improve him so I guess we just see how much he can be improved til season end.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
On the same terms knowing this club. He's overpaid but the reason other clubs may pay him a premium will also apply to us this summer, it saves from a transfer fee.

We already have other positions to reinforce so with a limited budget I just think that's where the cards with fall. Unless we identify a cheap option but doesn't seem likely.

I've no doubt ETH will improve him so I guess we just see how much he can be improved til season end.
Certainly looks like ETH is picking the games where he has us play out and involve DDG in early build up. There's barely been a sniff in the PL since Brentford but against Sheriff we played out of the back a few times from goal kicks. I think you're probably right on this, actually. I'd like to see DDG get better with his feet.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
It would be the most underwhelming record break considering how little he's won with us post Fergie but it's hard to say he doesn't deserve it
That's hardly his fault, is it? fecks sake, imagine where we'd have been without him.

Someone mentioned another keeper, who played under Sir Matt. Alex Stepney's record isn't significantly better and we were relegated with him. So, arguably worse post Sir Matt. Are you going to belittle his status too?

I honestly wonder whether some people claiming to be United supporters actually are United supporters. Or whether they're Scousers who come here to WUM us.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That's hardly his fault, is it? fecks sake, imagine where we'd have been without him.

Someone mentioned another keeper, who played under Sir Matt. Alex Stepney's record isn't significantly better and we were relegated with him. So, arguably worse post Sir Matt. Are you going to belittle his status too?

I honestly wonder whether some people claiming to be United supporters actually are United supporters. Or whether they're Scousers who come here to WUM us.
Indeed.

Something like 85% of the trophies in the club's history were won under three managers. SAF, Busby and Mangnall. And of those SAF alone accounts for over half.

That leaves around ten trophies including Community Shield wins, split between all other managers. If we start overly criticising players from those periods for not having won more then a whole lot of excellent players from our past get needlessly diminished.

Pat Cat

Hopefully not, he's horribly overrated enough historically as it is.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
He better hope Maguire doesn't start any games if he wants that record