Will De Gea reach all time clean sheet record?

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
There is a fair debate to have him in the top 5 premier league keepers of all time. I’ve never seen fans dread versing a keeper as they did De Gea 2015-2018. Was best keeper in the world for a good 18 months. I personally have him above Van Der Sar and it would be great for him to get the record.
Great players. But VDS is well.. VDS. Aggressive, imposing and you always have a sense of control with VDS. Ddg deserves the records though. For longetivity and service sake.

alexthelion

There is a fair debate to have him in the top 5 premier league keepers of all time. I’ve never seen fans dread versing a keeper as they did De Gea 2015-2018. Was best keeper in the world for a good 18 months. I personally have him above Van Der Sar and it would be great for him to get the record.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh, please

colombianmancunian

He deserves it, he was our player for years and was the second best keeper in the world behind Neuer for a good part of the last decade. Also longevity, he has been a faithful servant. Sadly he don’t have much silverware due to his time coinciding with our worst years.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I hope that motivates him this season. This would be an excellent achievement and the right moment to replace him hopefully.

ManUnitedCanuck

With the run we’ve been on with all the clean sheets, it’s almost looking inevitable at this point. Much more solidity at the back and overall team defending. Think it’s now 7 more with plenty of matches to go, but you never know.

BorisManUtd

With the run we’ve been on with all the clean sheets, it’s almost looking inevitable at this point. Much more solidity at the back and overall team defending. Think it’s now 7 more with plenty of matches to go, but you never know.
He's also 7th in PL clean sheet record, 7 clean sheets away from overtaking David Seaman in 4th place. Good for him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Never been close to being the best in the world. Not even top three best United keepers (possibly not top four). Can someone remind me of the figures: how many games DDG has played compared with how many Peter S and VdS played: I'd like to see averages rather than numbers. DDG will set a record for clean sheets but I bet he's also ahead in soft goals conceded compared to those two

Sgreddevil

Never been close to being the best in the world. Not even top three best United keepers (possibly not top four). Can someone remind me of the figures: how many games DDG has played compared with how many Peter S and VdS played: I'd like to see averages rather than numbers. DDG will set a record for clean sheets but I bet he's also ahead in soft goals conceded compared to those two
Agreed he would have many more games to reach the clean sheet records and averages give another perspective. However we should also consider the quality of the defence in front of DDG. Peter S and VDS have the luxury of having one of the finest defenders protecting them. VDS has a consecutive clean sheet record for epl and Rio+vidic contributed a lot to that too (not taking credits away from vds, he played brilliantly to achieve that at the same time). Having watched the 3 of them playing, my personal ranking in terms of overall gk abilities and success qould be Peter S, VDS and DDG

wolvored

On what terms do you think he'll stay under?

He's currently earning ~£375k a week. IMO he's not worth a third of that - Ederson makes ~£165k and Alisson ~£150k. Another disgraceful piece of business from Woodward.

As a free agent, he will be able to demand premium wages and a hefty signing on free. No club in Europe will match his current salary, even as a free agent, but he'll still be relatively expensive. I honestly don't see the logic in him staying here unless ETH really wants to keep him - which I doubt tbh because there is undoubtedly other GKs out there that fit ETH's style better and make more economic sense.

This is an interesting one. I read he wants to stay, even on reduced wages. If the club offered him 150k, would he be happy to drop that much, because he wouldnt get it anywhere else, or would pride make him leave, or would the club only reduce it a little, or tell him its over? Be interesting to see what happens. Personally I hope he breaks the record then the club go for a 'modern goalie' like Cities/Liverpool and move him on.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Man Utd player gets close to breaking a record and getting a fantastic achievement.

Caf finds a way to belittle that achievement and pour scorn on the player.

Bizarre. :confused: :houllier:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Man Utd player gets close to breaking a record and getting a fantastic achievement.

Caf finds a way to belittle that achievement and pour scorn on the player.

Bizarre. :confused: :houllier:
Yes, welcome to redcafe. The place where no player, manager, performance, scoreline or achievement is good enough. Enjoy your stay...

sirAlexsglasses

I just don’t understand the negativity DDG gets from some people on here I really don’t, we are absolute crap for some time and he stayed loyal. Even when he didn’t get the move to Real he didn’t do what most spoilt players do by making noise, going on strike etc. Yes he did have some poor performances but he wasn’t the only one, you have to remember he operated under a well run machine when SAF was here and had to endure abject failure from the club since his departure. Now that we actually have a real footballing man, we are seeing an improvement in his performances, he would walk into most teams around and he is the last player we need to replace right now……imho.

dal

I think its a magnificent achievement when you consider the defence he’s worked with for a large part of his career.

If Martial regains fitness, we have a good chance in the league this season.

Real Name

I was just thinking there will probably be a post or 2 in here about 'I cant believe he'll set the record cause he's shit and compare him to our past legendary keepers it baffles my mind' and such. You didnt disappoint.

arnie_ni

I was just thinking there will probably be a post or 2 in here about 'I cant believe he'll set the record cause he's shit and compare him to our past legendary keepers it baffles my mind' and such. You didnt disappoint.
His first sentence is also just plain wrong. He was definitely in the conversation as the best for a few years.

Real Name

His first sentence is also just plain wrong. He was definitely in the conversation as the best for a few years.
Not only that but the 'soft goals conceded list' and the stuff. Schmeichel and VDS also conceded those. It's just so hard to just say great for him, great achievement withouth shitting on him. Just redcafe nowadays.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Absolutely, at least in the opinion of countless players, managers and pundits. He wasn't in the PFA team of the year five times in six years by accident. He was extremely highly regarded at his peak.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hopefully not, he's horribly overrated enough historically as it is.
Hoping he doesn't get the record means hoping we concede goals, which is bad for the team.

So I'm assuming you're an opposition fan? Because it would be unfair to assume you're such a terrible United fan that you're actively wishing ill on the team out of a petty dislike for a player who has made over 500 appearances for us.

arnie_ni

Absolutely, at least in the opinion of countless players, managers and pundits. He wasn't in the PFA team of the year five times in six years by accident. He was extremely highly regarded at his peak.
Yep agreed. Let's not rewrite history because he hasn't developed with the changes in football.

norm87cro

How much he makes is not his fault.
But as an amateur GK myself and the student of the position I have my issues with DDG. He will reach the record but he will be nowhere near as good as Big Pete or VDS. I havent seen Stepney play but Im sure the older fans can tell me how good he was. He is still too timid in his 5 yard box and he alway uses his "futsal" stance while going 1 on 1. He did fantastic against West Ham recently and he was great against Real in 2013 when we should have lost 5 1 but that is because he is a fantastic shot stopper. The other parts of his game are not so good.

Last edited:

Anustart89

What a bizarre thread.

Well done David for nearly being there despite the majority of your career being spent with us during our most unsuccessful period in over 30 years.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
As long as Maguire is not playing, he has a good chance. If not tough luck.
That's despite getting a clean sheet in the last two Maguire appearances yeah? (Although one of those was a sub striker!)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
which, of course, if you bothered to read it, is not what I said

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Agreed he would have many more games to reach the clean sheet records and averages give another perspective. However we should also consider the quality of the defence in front of DDG. Peter S and VDS have the luxury of having one of the finest defenders protecting them. VDS has a consecutive clean sheet record for epl and Rio+vidic contributed a lot to that too (not taking credits away from vds, he played brilliantly to achieve that at the same time). Having watched the 3 of them playing, my personal ranking in terms of overall gk abilities and success qould be Peter S, VDS and DDG
Totally agree with the first two. Not sure if you're old enough to remember Gary Bailey who played at a time where last season's defence would have been a dream! He played with the Hoggs and Duxburry's of the world - and they were some of the better ones (although, admittedly he also played with Gordon McQueen).

Also of course, Bailey didn't get to wear wicket keeping gauntlets - in fact, often no gloves at all. He was brave, he commanded his area and he was reliable. Had good (maybe not great) reflexes and was agile.

I also remember Alex Stepney but not sure he was better than DDG. People even older than me, talk about how Harry Gregg changed and modernised goalkeeping so he might be considered better than DDG too...

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I think he will, and it will be a glorious and well-deserved achievement.

miked99

I hope he does, he's been a great servant. He's had a couple of recent seasons where he's made some bizarre errors and been below his best, but that shouldn't overshadow how he saved our arses time and time again for several seasons prior to that.

There's always an element of rose-tinted spectacles when considering previous club greats. Schmeichel and VDS were brilliant keepers, but people only remember the good parts and talk as if they never made mistakes. They absolutely did, but in time these things fade from memory in favour of the positive.

You also have to consider the quality of the teams, and defences they played behind. Schmeichel played in a team that was massively dominant. VDS was part of the team that set a record of 14 consecutive clean sheets. In the Premier League. More than a third of a league season without conceeding a single goal! Tomasz Kuszczak played in some of those games in that run. That's how good that team was, and that defence was.

In the last few years we've had some of the worst teams it's ever been my (dis)pleasure to watch. If DDG played in the teams that either of the other did then his record would be far better.

flappyjay

I hope he does, he's been a great servant. He's had a couple of recent seasons where he's made some bizarre errors and been below his best, but that shouldn't overshadow how he saved our arses time and time again for several seasons prior to that.

There's always an element of rose-tinted spectacles when considering previous club greats. Schmeichel and VDS were brilliant keepers, but people only remember the good parts and talk as if they never made mistakes. They absolutely did, but in time these things fade from memory in favour of the positive.

You also have to consider the quality of the teams, and defences they played behind. Schmeichel played in a team that was massively dominant. VDS was part of the team that set a record of 14 consecutive clean sheets. In the Premier League. More than a third of a league season without conceeding a single goal! Tomasz Kuszczak played in some of those games in that run. That's how good that team was, and that defence was.

In the last few years we've had some of the worst teams it's ever been my (dis)pleasure to watch. If DDG played in the teams that either of the other did then his record would be far better.
David's legacy is hurt by the fact he didn't play in any of our great teams.

cyberman

It’s weird to say DDG isn’t great because he never played out with his feet then not give our past keepers that same criticism

Big Andy

Bloke
He's no Mark Bosnich, that's for sure.

Never been as scared of a keeper getting a pass back in my life.