Will Fergie's declaration Phil Jones will be the best player in the club's history come true?

Alfie092

Still believe he will go on to become a Man United and England great! :D

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Still a "young" lad.

He has another 7-8 years here to fulfil it...

arthurka

What he could have been.... But he is not. He hasn´t progressed one bit since he signed for us, still the same headless bull.

DoomSlayer

What he could have been.... But he is not. He hasn´t progressed one bit since he signed for us, still the same headless bull.
He has regressed massively as at least he actually had a lot of physicality to his game, used to bully opposing players and had decent pace. Now everything has gone and literally his only trait is "bravery".

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Remember him playing at RB and charging up the field. He was unstoppable. Then he'd the lob the ball over everyone's heads for a goalkick.

Champagne Football

Fergie made that comment not long after Jones played Cristiano Ronaldo off the park in a Champions League quarter final. CR7 was completely invisible all game at the height of his powers. Jones was playing as a defensive midfielder.
In hindsight Jones was never a center back. He's too much of a bird-brain to play there. He doesn't exactly possess the techinal qualities to play as a defensive midfielder, but I think that's the role he should have been groomed for. The Darren Fletcher role to come in and snap at heels like a pitbull when we're away to City or Barca, and then back on the bench when we're home to Norwich.

padzilla

Hipster
I think part of the problem with Jones is he never plays long-term, he needs a run of games before he reaches anything approaching decent form but given the risks attached with letting him cost us repeatedly as he struggles back from injury and inactivity, you can see why he's a fringe player at best.

Based Adnan

In a way Ashley has contributed. Phil Jones has just been constantly injured and when he is fit he is a liability.
Agree regarding Young but at no point can you say he's been good enough for where we want to be going as a club. Signings like Jones and Young are what allowed City to get the jump on us at the time and the fact they're both approaching testimonial levels of tenure here is a testament to how poorly run this club is.

andycolegangstainnit

Jones, Young and Smalling were from the era when Fergy & Gill were looking for "value in the market". Bang average players. The rot set in when CR7 was sold. Our signings since then have been poor. Only DDG , (RVP for one year and we still should have bought Lewandowski instead) has proved to be a top signing, maybe Martial and the three in the summer look good. Ten bad years.

I can see the similarity with Duncan Edwards. Jones would have been a good player in the 50s when the ball weighed a ton, the pitches were like ploughed fields and the overall standard of the English First division was poor. He was a classic "he played well against us" Fergy signing. He's an accident waiting to happen - like yesterday's shambolic first goal, although it was a foul - I doubt we'll see him play for us again in the Prem.

Alabaster Codify7

I must admit, it does look unlikely doesn't it.

But, as Ole says Phil Jones "has been here for so long" it would be weird for him to leave. He gets the club.

Alabaster Codify7

Jones, Young and Smalling were from the era when Fergy & Gill were looking for "value in the market". Bang average players. The rot set in when CR7 was sold. Our signings since then have been poor. Only DDG , (RVP for one year and we still should have bought Lewandowski instead) has proved to be a top signing, maybe Martial and the three in the summer look good. Ten bad years.

I can see the similarity with Duncan Edwards. Jones would have been a good player in the 50s when the ball weighed a ton, the pitches were like ploughed fields and the overall standard of the English First division was poor. He was a classic "he played well against us" Fergy signing. He's an accident waiting to happen - like yesterday's shambolic first goal, although it was a foul - I doubt we'll see him play for us again in the Prem.

All of this post is spot on.

AshRK

Fergie made that comment not long after Jones played Cristiano Ronaldo off the park in a Champions League quarter final. CR7 was completely invisible all game at the height of his powers. Jones was playing as a defensive midfielder.
In hindsight Jones was never a center back. He's too much of a bird-brain to play there. He doesn't exactly possess the techinal qualities to play as a defensive midfielder, but I think that's the role he should have been groomed for. The Darren Fletcher role to come in and snap at heels like a pitbull when we're away to City or Barca, and then back on the bench when we're home to Norwich.
The problem playing him as a DM is he is not good with the ball. He is just a rash tackler. He is adventurous but he hardly is able to read the danger and makes stupid tackles. I won't call him a bad footballer but he is definitely not the smartest one to play as a DM.

There are still some on here who rate him 'if it weren't for the injuries' :lol:

iHicksy

That's simply not true with Jones. He was highly rated and most clubs in the prem wanted him. One of the reasons we had to sign him when we did was to stop Chelsea getting hold of him. I remember John Terry saying Chelsea were pretty mad that they hadn't managed to sign him (this was when they were at the height of their powers).

andycolegangstainnit

That's simply not true with Jones. He was highly rated and most clubs in the prem wanted him. One of the reasons we had to sign him when we did was to stop Chelsea getting hold of him. I remember John Terry saying Chelsea were pretty mad that they hadn't managed to sign him (this was when they were at the height of their powers).
He may have been highly rated in some quarters but signing him cos another team wanted a player is never a good idea (Fred, Sanchez). He was a gamble - he only played 39 times for Blackburn - which backfired. Injuries haven't helped him but I've never seen what his strengths are - his best games have been at CDM (the RM game mentioned above and against Arsenal at OT in Moyes first season) - he's not quick, poor decision making, average in the air. Fergy signed some great CBs - Bruce, Pally, Johnsen, Stam, Rio, Vidic - but Jones and Smalling were value gambles that didn't pay off.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No, probably not.

But he could still become the greatest human being ever. Football isn't everything, you know.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was a very exciting talent when he broke through. Used to make these swashbuckling runs carrying the ball out of defence. What a disappointing he turned out to be.

stevoc

He's the best player in Manchester United's history named Phil Jones if that counts.