Will India & China produce world-class footballers soon?

BarstoolProphet

vikesh dhorasoo- of Lyon and France (some international caps). Of Indian origin. Best player of south Asian roots I’ve seen. Classy playmaker who featured in Champions League

Came in this thread to post this. Although born and raised in France so might ruin the argument a bit. Really liked watching Dhorasoo play, classy little player.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
India nor China won't produce world class footballers anytime soon, just like America won't.

They can be great at school year group level but everything falls apart when they hit 16+ due to funding going to other sports and the coaching being of a poor standard.
Isn't Reyna at Dortmund American? Pulisic too?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
4. Genetically asians is not physically good as europeans, americans or africans. There's a huge gap between tbf.
What?

India and China dont produce footballers because simply the infrastructure and support is not there for it. Much like Australia(a lot of people of European background here in Australia), football gets a bit of viewership in Australia but nothing compared to the Rugby or the Cricket. Occasionally we might have a football player pop up that makes it in Europe, but on the whole not often compared to how often we produce world class Cricketers or Rugby players.

In the case of India they have produced some of the best cricketers to grace the game of the modern era. Why? Support and infrastructure, it's got nothing to do with genetics and a lot to do with modern fitness regimes, sports science, dieticians, modern coaching techniques on top of the world class infrastructure and training facilities they built. I can guarantee if football was as big as cricket in India you would be seeing a lot of Indian footballers, but that is simply not the case.

As for China, football is growing, id expect to start seeing more Chinese players as the game modernises to more European standards. Infrastructure is built, viewership and support rises(more money), it is only a matter of time for the Chinese.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Both were signed by Dortmund when they were 16. The only way these players will develop to a good level is when a European club scouts them and get them early. As has been said in countries where football isn't the no one sport its hard for them to develop well.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Came in this thread to post this. Although born and raised in France so might ruin the argument a bit. Really liked watching Dhorasoo play, classy little player.
Need to produce the squad to consistently participate in major tournaments. Cricket and it's ever increasing popularity killed any sports in india and sub continent.

Either from india or indian origin players included should qualify big tournaments consistently like Asia cup and world cup will definitely help the football to develop from grass root level. But will not see it in near future though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The example to follow is Rugby and Japan. There is no secret, in order to produce quality players you need decades of quality coaching, most likely from abroad and you need to build a concentration of good players that eventually lead to better successive generations because the standards are increasingly higher.

Zlatanator

If I had the money I will simply open public sports parks in my town and just gift the gear to the children. With the rise in PL viewership in India and love for the game, I am sure that I will see real talent in 2-3 decades.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The example to follow is Rugby and Japan. There is no secret, in order to produce quality players you need decades of quality coaching, most likely from abroad and you need to build a concentration of good players that eventually lead to better successive generations because the standards are increasingly higher.
Football in Japan is already a great example, they've gone from never qualifying for the WC before 1998 to the dominant team in Asia.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Football in Japan is already a great example, they've gone from never qualifying for the WC before 1998 to the dominant team in Asia.
Rugby is a better example because Japan has become the best team out of the traditional countries and are an actual match. Japan in football are more like Italy in Rugby.

crossy1686

career ending
Yep! But that's a great example of my point. They both left America young to pursue a career in football. The coaching at over 16's level isn't good enough in these countries that don't fund grass roots football as much as other European countries.

For the population size of these places they should be pumping out a couple of Messi's every 10 years or so.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Yep! But that's a great example of my point. They both left America young to pursue a career in football. The coaching at over 16's level isn't good enough in these countries that don't fund grass roots football as much as other European countries.

For the population size of these places they should be pumping out a couple of Messi's every 10 years or so.
:lol:

Yeah, countries with big population size should be producing a few players of Messi quality every 10 years. If it's as easy as you think it is, the likes of City and Barcelona would have academies worldwide with a factory line of academy players every year ready to play for the first team.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

While I don't disagree I will say that it is, slowly, getting better. Some of the MLS teams are taking player development seriously, but the best young players still go to Europe partly for coaching, but mostly for the pay. Wages for young players in the US are laughable. In just the last few years FC Dallas has "sold" Weston McKennie (now at Juve) to Schalke (they agreed to let his youth contract run out do he could move), sold Chris Richards to Bayern and Bryan Reynolds to Roma all before they turned 19. Of all the current young US "stars" the only one who played meaningful minutes in the US was Adams, and he was in the Red Bull system.

bludsucker

Oye what are you lot on about. India already has a world class star in Sunil Chhetri. He is the second highest active international goal scorer ahead of messi and just behind ronnie. white text wink

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You also need to give a feck which we seemingly don't

micmac

It's like a business, once there is no demand the government wouldn't invest in football grass roots but put the money elsewhere (sometimes in their own pockets).

This is the case in my home country, we produced a few stars, namely Dwight Yorke and Kenwyne Jones but when that talent dried up people just lost interest and followed other sports. We were the smallest country to ever make it to the World Cup there was a big boost in Popularity, the government promised investment in grassroots, about 80% of the money ended up in government pockets and CONCACAF officials. Now young people could tell you when New York Nicks playing their next game versus when Trinidad football team is playing.

Reactions: Cheimoon

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Both were signed by Dortmund when they were 16. The only way these players will develop to a good level is when a European club scouts them and get them early. As has been said in countries where football isn't the no one sport its hard for them to develop well.
So? Why wouldn't someone sign a 16 year old Indian or Chinese kid if they were top talents? Is it because they're not allowed to move until they're 18 or something like in Brazil?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
So? Why wouldn't someone sign a 16 year old Indian or Chinese kid if they were top talents? Is it because they're not allowed to move until they're 18 or something like in Brazil?
I'm not saying they wouldn't, I'm saying India probably isn't scouted enough for teams to pick up these talented young players early.

Strelok

Tell that to Messi.
It's not about size, it's about the quality of the muscles, bones, etc. Even on the same size, same weight a white/black man is generally much much stronger and faster than an asian.

I'm an asian myself and I lived in Europe for like 5 years so I know what I'm talking about. Look at all the sports that requires physical strength and speed you don't see many asian there at top level.

cybertej29

It's not about size, it's about the quality of the muscles, bones, etc. Even on the same size, same weight a white/black man is generally much much stronger and faster than an asian.

I'm an asian myself and I lived in Europe for like 5 years so I know what I'm talking about. Look at all the sports that requires physical strength and speed you don't see many asian there at top level.
That's borderline racist. How many black men do you see competing at the highest level in weightlifting compared to the Chinese? How about Indians and wresting?

Genetics may play a role in sports with a large dependence on innate strength, like sprinting or powerlifting, but surely football which requires a varied skill set is not one of them.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Above an example of Japan being great at rugby was given. „Genetics“ is not an explanation or excuse.

Member 101269

A friend of mine asked me to watch their son having football training in GZ. It was on the third or fourth floor of a shopping centre in a small shop sized room. It consisted of 2 kids being trained by a guy Who was kicking the ball against a wall while the kids did circuits for nearly an hour. The son kicked the ball with his toes and wasn’t taught or pulled up about it.

No infrastructure to create quality unless by luck