Will Mason get a new number for next season?

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Greenwood admires Ronaldo #9. I'm sure he wants that number, but with Martial here its impossible. He should keep the #26 shirt until he's in his mid 20s and then he can become our #9.
I think he’d look good in 20 until he can take the 9.

Web of Bissaka

It sort of plays into the playstyle of the team for years under the 4-4-2 we ran for our era of dominance in the 90's. RVN was truly a #9 and a poacher. Rooney would drop deep and play in the attacking wingers for years and definitely had the playstyle that suited a #10 for us, and with England when he was paired with Owen early on. Only later on was he asked to be our primary goal-scoring threat after RVN left, and even more so after we lost Tevez and Ronaldo, and even then he was paired a lot with Berbatov (who had nowhere near the work-rate to play back) and Chicharito who was a pure-poacher.
Yeah, I understand your points.

Rooney is forever an #8 for me but at striker position, not suitable at midfield, if that make sense. His all-around ability is too good so much so he can easily be our main goalscorer, playing like #9 but despite the goals, I don't feel he fits playing like #9. Nor does later on when he artificially became #10 playing more at CAM and even CM. He just don't fit #10 position nor playstyle at all for me.

Scholes and Berbatov are more suited as #10.

Web of Bissaka

#11: Greenwood
#10: Rashford
#9: Martial
#8: Fernandes (once Mata leave)
#7: Sancho (hopefully)
#6: Pogba
#5: Maguarie
#4: new CB
#3: Bailly
#2: Lindelof
#1: De Gea

We could fill up all numbers from 1-11 for the first time after a long time period. I’d like Fernandez to wear number 10 instead but I don’t see Rashford giving it to anyone else.
:smirk:
#11: Sancho
#8: Fernandes
#7: Greenwood
#5: Maguire
#4: Lindelof
#3: Shaw
#2: Wan-Bissaka

EDIT: actually.. I'm thinking Bruno fits more as #10, give Rashford #7 since he's becoming more like a semi-playmaker recently and Greenwood #11. This is if Sancho not joining, then give #8 to Matic or new CDM replacing him.

cptkeane1993

Personally I would give the 7 to Bruno. He’s had the Cantona effect to our team and footballl club and has the personality to carry the responsibility and pressure of being the Man United 7. And even thrive in it. He’ll finally break the curse. I wouldn’t put such a burden on the young ones such as Greenwood or Sancho, who’re technically gifted but the No. 7 is more than just that.

DannyDee

Yeah, I understand your points.

Rooney is forever an #8 for me but at striker position, not suitable at midfield, if that make sense. His all-around ability is too good so much so he can easily be our main goalscorer, playing like #9 but despite the goals, I don't feel he fits playing like #9. Nor does later on when he artificially became #10 playing more at CAM and even CM. He just don't fit #10 position nor playstyle at all for me.

Scholes and Berbatov are more suited as #10.
He was a very unique player in that regard (and that probably contributes to him being one of my favorite players ever). Great work rate, played with aggression, great finisher, had good vision and passing. He may not have had the sublime technical abilities ball control and passing wise you associate with a lot of the defining European/South-American #10's of the recent elite #10s like Zidane, Bergkamp, Messi, or Kaka. He definitely worked though as being the link between the midfielders and goalscorers/wingers in the era between 06-09 which was our last truly great team (I'll put that 08 United against any PL side ever). In the mid to late 90s Fergie's style of play didn't demand a classic style #10 then due to the elite crossing of guys like Giggs/Beckham in the 4-4-2 even if we would play at times in a 4-4-1-1 with guys like Cantona, Sheringham or Scholes as the #10's. Even as we got more European in playstyle later on after SAF worked with Quiroz, Rooney fit as the lead attacker who could score in a 4-3-3 that would also drop back to play-in Tevez and Ronaldo giving the attacking wingers more attacking freedom and reducing defensive responsibilities. So, I can see your point about him being a non-Midfield #8 as you described.

I'd be fine with giving #7 or #11 to Greenwood. While for the current generation most associate #7 with an elite winger due to Beckham and Ronaldo. People do seem to forget that Robson helped bring a lot of prestige to that number previously, despite being an elite box to box midfielder which isn't classically associated with that number.

Heardy

EDIT: actually.. I'm thinking Bruno fits more as #10, give Rashford #7 since he's becoming more like a semi-playmaker recently and Greenwood #11. This is if Sancho not joining, then give #8 to Matic or new CDM replacing him.
I read posts like this and think short number changes mean more to fans than they do players.

United have had some iconic number 10s -including our greatest ever scorer. Why would Rashford want to change from 10 to 7?

Lindelof changing from 2 to 4 makes no sense.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Bruno has to keep Scholes old number, whys everyone wanting to give him number 8?

Onerealunited

It’s funny I thought myself to change the numbers further so Shaw and Wan Bissaka respectively get number 2 and 3. That would be the dream. Our best 11 playing in the numbers from 1-11 :-D But I do not see why and how you can take number 2 from Lindelof. Shaw could though easily get number 3 from Bailly if Shaw’s wants it of course. We should start a Twitter campaign

Sparky Rhiwabon

Why do people think he should be no.11? Isn’t he only playing RW to give him game time? Surely his position will be no.9 eventually? So he needs to wrestle that shirt off Martial. Until then, leave him as 26.

RyRy11

11 is my lucky number so if he gets that next year I’m having it on the back of my shirt

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
NEW SHIRT NUMBERS FOR TWO UNITED FIRST-TEAM PLAYERS

The growing importance of Mason Greenwood and Brandon Williams to the Manchester United first team has been reflected in a couple of squad-number changes ahead of the 2020/21 season.
Earlier this week, it was confirmed that Donny van de Beek would adopt the no.34 shirt at Old Trafford, as a tribute to former Ajax team-mate Abdelhak Nouri.
And now it can be revealed that Academy graduates Greenwood and Williams will be wearing different numbers on their backs when Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side kick off the new campaign with a home game against Crystal Palace on 19 September.
Greenwood, who hit 17 goals in his breakthrough season at Old Trafford to earn a first senior England call-up, will switch from the no.26 he sported in 2019/20.
The Bradford-born forward will instead take on the mantle of the no.11 – a shirt which is, of course, synonymous with United’s all-time appearances record holder Ryan Giggs.
Greenwood will become only the fourth Red to wear no.11 in the Premier League era – after Giggs, Adnan Januzaj and Anthony Martial, who returned to sporting the no.9 last summer after the departure of Romelu Lukaku.

Meanwhile, left-back Williams has upgraded from no.53 to no.33 after an encouraging first 12 months in the senior set-up.
Brandon, who is currently recovering from a foot injury which has kept him out of the upcoming England Under-21 internationals, made 35 appearances in all competitions and ended the season as the Reds’ regular left-back after Luke Shaw’s campaign was prematurely cut short.
Williams will now fill the number last occupied by Paddy McNair, who made 27 appearances for the Reds before leaving for Sunderland in 2016.