Will Ole be a success? Poll

Will Ole be a success here?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
No. Too big a job to turn this present squad into one that will win the league over Man City.

I don't believe it's impossible but even if the club backed him fully it would be incredibly difficult and I don't think the club will let him do what needs to be done (gut the squad).

lilcurt

I will hold judgement until October, let's at least give him a preseason and see how we start the next.

I ultimately feel his success depends hugely on the club leadership and support. He needs a very good transfer window in terms of both ins and outs. I have no faith in woody to deliver this.

Smores

No one knows that yet.We will know his quality as a manager and if he is appropriate to be manager of a club of this size next season.

But for that to be done rightfully he needs to be backed by the board.

He needs to be ruthless this summer and show this players that no one is bigger than the club and if you dont perform to the level expected just pack your bags and go.
This

Anyone saying they're confident in his abilities is an idiot. There's just no way to make such a judgement yet.

We'll just have to wait and see

Charles Miller

He is not good at reading the games . His substitutions like against Everton in general tend to make the situation even worse. When Ole replaced Mourinho i think those victories in a row were more due to emotional doping. But United don't have a DoF and i think Ole might be a positive factor in the transfer windows. Also one thing i have no doubt is that he is not gonna be fooled to sign awful players.

So to answer the thread i dont believe in his personal success but i think in the long term he could leave a good legacy in the formation of a better squad.

Skills

Snitch
Probably not. Most managers fail anyway. However other clubs are smart enough to make a change in that scenario.

If he doesn't succeed, the way we run means we'll sink the ship for good this time.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Juries out for me. I think he’ll be backed in the transfer market and we’ll spend big this summer, but I’m concerned he has the ability to get more out of our existing team and get his tactics and strategy right.

Despite all the hatred for Ed, his success or failure won’t be down to him in my view.

Treble

We are pretty much in the dark as to whether Ole has it to be a successful manager (of a big club). He is inexperienced at that level and I'm not sure he has the authority to deal with players who were small kids when he was scoring goals, often as a substitute. This legend thing is a bit overblown. Zidane is a much bigger legend at Real and even he struggled to motivate their players to be consistent in the league.

Bestofthebest

Unfortunately Ole's future ( and United's ) is only partly in his own hands. If we have another transfer window of big name buys on huge salaries with little imput from himself, then he is likely to fail. He needs to get the players he wants and also get rid of the players he does not want. Play hardball with Ed and make it clear that anything else will not be enough. I am sure if he were to walk away if this were not forthcoming he would be treated with tremendous respect by just about everyone in football. If he swallows having players forced on him by Ed and "icons" kept at the club by Ed and then fails to produce the goods he will just go down in history as yet another failed manager.
I have a lot of faith in Ole, more than in most other guys I have seen touted as manager on here, but that faith will be severely diminished if he goes along with everything Ed wants.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Happy for both sides of the argument to be expressed but can we at least agree that those saying no don’t resort, as a few already have, to being insulting about Ole?

If he doesn’t succeed it won’t be through lack of effort or commitment and nobody will be more upset about it than him. People belittling his managerial track record at Cardiff and Molde and calling him a pretender is uncalled for and those responsible ought to have a word with themselves about how they express their views.

Axle17

Yes, IF he's given a team of young kids willing to listen to his plans and believe his vision

Older/experienced players will take in only so much and then assume they know the rest. This is the issue we have at this point in time, our players claim to know more than our managers

Last edited by a moderator:

Judas

Open to offers
I'd be very surprised. He's woefully inexperienced. It was my worry when he was even given the caretaker job. Might have been caught up in the pleasure of our good run for a bit, but reality is beginning to hit very hard now. Would potentially be different if we had a good squad, but its tumescent, which just makes the task ridiculous.

AFC NimbleThumb

ole has shown both good & bad since his appointment but i honestly think we need to give the man a transfer window (or few) as the other currently en vogue managers were given.

he currently has a 60+% win percentage after a dysmal effort by his predecessor that left us far off top4. klopp in his first part-year at ‘them’ had a 43% win percentage - surely proof that time & recruitment are key.

maybe i’ve been taken in by the rhetoric but ole is saying the right things, it is a case of whether he & the club seeks players of the correct profile going forward; the last thing we need is to be spending £100mil on one player. we need to be finding the next [hate to say it] mane for £30+mil or andy robertson for £8mil.

the savvy signings sir alex once made are what this squad lacks, hopefully ole & co have that in them.

he will succeed.

dogwithabone

I think he will ultimately be a success but it’s going to need extreme patience. This job would be a whole lot more straightforward for him if he was Ferguson’s direct successor but three managers and six or seven years later has allowed the accumulation of so much unwanted dross.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Not if he decides to persist with the dross at the club

IAmAWinner

No.
He is not qualified enough to be the manager of the second biggest club in the world. Prove me wrong Ole!

Revaulx

There's also the small problem of 'fitness' being his answer to problems that are clearly technical and tactical
Yeah I’ve been wondering about this as well.

I’m hoping that he’s doing it because he thinks it’s the one thing he can call the players out on in public that’s actually within their power to improve. Whereas being unable to trap a bag of cement isn’t. And there’s no doubt that fitness and work rate is poor, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
No, gone by Christmas. There’s a chance he’s gone by the end of the season.

MoskvaRed

No. Firstly I’m not sure any manager could succeed at United given the dysfunctional nature of the football side of the club. Secondly, even without that handicap, I don’t believe Ole has what it takes to manage at the top level in competition with Guardiola, Klopp etc.

The_Bloods

No, not experienced enough to manage at this level for such a massive club.
Well, there was once this young manager from Aberdeen who joined a massive club in freefall with a culture problem in the dressing room. He went on to be quite good.

In all seriousness, we've tried 2 big names, both of whom failed. The failure is a combination of issues, but they still failed.

If you look around, who else is there? - Poch is always mentioned, but Levy wouldn't let him go and he's working under zero pressure in a club where top 4 is seen as a massive achievement. How much longer will that continue? - even Spurs fans will start to expect silverware at some point, surely?

Who else is there with proven experience, a lack of ego, but is available and willing to come here?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
No. He worked well as a glorified club mascot for a few weeks. Now he’s expected to be a manager with tactics and stuff and it’s not going so well.

I want to be wrong and end up looking stupid but it is what it is. We’ve hired the manager of Molde and Cardiff. That’s not to say I don’t think he should be given the chance to fail. At this point there isn’t a manager in the world who wouldn’t be out of his depth with this mess.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Ole being a success has more factors at play than just Ole. The club has to back him and has to put a technical structure in place to assist him. Having a stronger hold on contract situations would help too.

As much as I disliked him, I think Jose could have been successful if he was backed and had the right structure around him, even though he - reportedly - didn't want the latter. The club seems happy to be a decade behind the rest regardless.

Ultimately, I don't think he will be a success, because of a lack of the above.

Acquire Me

Yes. That said, he and the club will have to make hard choices now and in the summer. We need to rebuild. The culture need to be changed.

Bestietom

YES, but first he must dig out the troublemakers and get rid of them ASAP. I trust him and Phelan to do this, but not all fans will be happy with some of the players going.

If their heart is not here let them off. This is the United way and the only way to bring success is to have players giving 120% on the field.

lysglimt

Scout
It all comes down to how he performs in the first window

DoctorEvil

I am not sure. But I do think that people saying that Jose could have done it, or imagining that we buy this or that player, are way off the mark.

What we need is a culture change. The expetation from everyone in the club should be raised. That should include everything. How many of our players can't get the weight of a simple pass right? How many of them make movement to be free for a throw-in? How many of our players added new skills to their game since they where bought?

Creating an ethos of profesionalism will take a few years and a lot of backing from the board, including patience with average results.

Andy_Cole

Yes. I think he won’t have too much pressure on trophies but more so, style of play. I think he’s the man to rebuild us.

Marcelinho87

No because the board won't give him the tools to succeed.

Woodward will skip along this summer bidding for the likes of Bale when we are in desperate need of talent not overpaid crocks.

Glazers & Woodward out or we will NEVER return to the pinnacle.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Can we also put to bed the myth that Ole has in any way ‘given big contracts to dross’

He would not have been in a position to be involved in the decisions on Jones, Young, Martial, Smalling etc. Those negotiations would have been happening months before Ole came in and Ole was not in any position to be saying ‘no don’t give him a renewal’

Secondly, can we also stop with the brainless stuff about ‘if he keeps playing these terrible players’

They are pretty much all terrible players be it in ability, attitude, or in some cases both. Who exactly is he supposed to play at this stage. If he stuck all the under 18s out there we’d be fined by the premier league for fielding an under strength team. Even if he stuck 5 of them in against City, he’d be accused of trying to throw the game.

In the summer, We need to sell as many of them as we can find buyers for and let the rest run their contracts down or agree some kind of fee to leave as soon as the season ends

Then let him try and build a team of players with the right attitude going forward over the next few years.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Clubs have until 17:00 on Thursday, August 8, 2019 to complete any transfer dealings.

We'll see by then first half, second half after the 2019/2020 season ends.

Red_Aaron

He's talking a good game and doing a reasonable job with what he has on-hand right now imo. Despite so many of the hysterical outpourings on here he's actually had little chance to implement anything significant with regards tactics or patterns of play. Ask any manager at this time of year and they'll say prematch is all about recovery, there's little time to work on anything deeper than that. He had his dubai trip of course and we came back from that in great shape. I think old habits have crept on of late and the players are playing with fear again, the existane of which predates Ole (but he is of course now charged with rectifying)

So, for me the success of his long and short term plans haven't really had a chance to materialise yet but I believe he has a suitable vision at least. How we finish this season and how we go about our preseason will tell us a lot more. You've only got to look around this place to see the huge range of opinions that exist around pretty much all our players (even ddg is getting it now :rolleyes:). He's got some big decisions to make but I think he's got the backbone to make them, I just hope they're the correct calls. Only time will tell and that's the key here, will he be allowed the time he'll need many on here already want him gone!

I'll back him though, I don't think he'll be any worse than the other post saf appointments

Vadim

No because the board won't give him the tools to succeed.

Woodward will skip along this summer bidding for the likes of Bale when we are in desperate need of talent not overpaid crocks.

Glazers & Woodward out or we will NEVER return to the pinnacle.
I disagree on targeting the likes of Bale etc.

I think the Sanchez transfer has taught us a lesson. Ole has already stayed numerous times that our transfers will be to make the team better.

We’ll be going for young, cheaper, promising talent. We won’t be splurging 100 mill on one player.

Marcelinho87

I disagree on targeting the likes of Bale etc.

I think the Sanchez transfer has taught us a lesson. Ole has already stayed numerous times that our transfers will be to make the team better.

We’ll be going for young, cheaper, promising talent. We won’t be splurging 100 mill on one player.
I trust Ole and I think that is his vision 100%

I don't think Woodward is the type to learn though, I actually think he would double down to make a point! The guy scares me.

SteveW

Ole will be a success. But the next couple of games are going to be horrible.

The squad have ran out of steam. Changing to a quicker more explosive style of play mid season with the least fit squad in the league was always going to be a risk.

He needs a transfer window and a preseason to ensure they can actually sustain it next season.

The hysterics on here are ridiculous. People actually believe the squad suddenly decided to stop trying as soon as they got to the CL semi and top 4 became a realistic possibility. Absolute nonsense. They've been showing the strain for weeks.

Vadim

I trust Ole and I think that is his vision 100%

I don't think Woodward is the type to learn though, I actually think he would double down to make a point! The guy scares me.
Yeah Woody needs to reel it in and just focus on marketing which he’s very good at.

Marcelinho87

Ole will be a success. But the next couple of games are going to be horrible.

The squad have ran out of steam. Changing to a quicker more explosive style of play mid season with the least fit squad in the league was always going to be a risk.

He needs a transfer window and a preseason to ensure they can actually sustain it next season.

The hysterics on here are ridiculous. People actually believe the squad suddenly decided to stop trying as soon as they got to the CL semi and top 4 became a realistic possibility. Absolute nonsense. They've been showing the strain for weeks.
Injuries at the time played a massive part in knocking the wind out of us, how many were sidelined at the time? Fair few wasn't it.

Infra-red

No. We do not have the structure in place for a manager to make a success of it here. I don't expect him to be properly backed in the summer and I doubt he'll see out his contract at the club.