Will Ole get another PL job after this?

Will Ole get another PL managers job at some stage?

• Total voters

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The feck? Nuno got the spurs job after seasons of constipation including football at wolves. Ole finished 6th, 3rd and 2nd in his time here. What’s the disaster there?
Nuno was employable because he has “track record of getting a PL club to punch above its weight” on his cv. Unfortunately for Ole, he’s been closer to achieving the exact opposite.

Jezpeza

Feck sake folks are ridiculous with this narrative.

He took United from 6th to 2nd place and closed the gap on City closer to a title than Jose did, that's the facts and made a EL final, losing it on a penalty kick.

Ole was / is by no means a tactical genius, but are we forgetting he's beaten the leagues best managers, some of them a few times? Pep, Klopp, Rodgers, Poch, Moyes...

Yet were supposed to believe that smaller or mid table clubs wouldn't give him a shot?

I reckon there's at least 5 clubs that would take him on if not more.
no, hes the worst manager in premier league, nay in fact, human history

NewUser777

Why wouldn’t he? He has showed he can build a team and can even win a few games. Tactical inept as some say he is, he beat Pep four times. Only Man City and Liverpool has more points on the board since he came in. Went tits up this season, but that happens to a lot of managers. Poch for example, who is now our number one target. I’m sure he will be back in the premier league.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Nuno was employable because he has “track record of getting a PL club to punch above its weight” on his cv. Unfortunately for Ole, he’s been closer to achieving the exact opposite.
Was finishing 3rd and 2nd over the past two seasons over the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool not punching above our weight? I think people forget how poor the squad he inherited was until you realize he was starting pereira, lingard and mata in attacking midfield before he got hold of Bruno. His #9 was moody Martial.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Feck sake folks are ridiculous with this narrative.

He took United from 6th to 2nd place and closed the gap on City closer to a title than Jose did, that's the facts and made a EL final, losing it on a penalty kick.

Ole was / is by no means a tactical genius, but are we forgetting he's beaten the leagues best managers, some of them a few times? Pep, Klopp, Rodgers, Poch, Moyes...

Yet were supposed to believe that smaller or mid table clubs wouldn't give him a shot?

I reckon there's at least 5 clubs that would take him on if not more.
I take it you missed those bits in recent memory where we watched teams slicing through us with 'like a knife through warm butter' being a generous metaphor :lol:. I don't completely throw out what you are saying, I am slightly in awe of what he managed to achieve by making the squad believe in themselves. Though, If I were the owner of any sort of pl club on a fraction of the man utd budget and with the merest possibility of relegation, I would look at those last games, and honestly I'd be absolutely fecking terrified!

My opinion obviously, respect for everyone elses. Hopefully this thread doesn't also become nasty!

fastwalker

It isn't. His level is far, far below that.
Most high-profile job I can see him getting is in the US. I'm not sure he even gets his Molde job back. The historically biggest club in Norway, Rosenborg, is currently searching for a new coach and they wouldn't look at him twice. That tells you all you need to know about his standing as a manager if you remove romanticism.
Fair point.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was finishing 3rd and 2nd over the past two seasons over the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool not punching above our weight? I think people forget how poor the squad he inherited was until you realize he was starting pereira, lingard and mata in attacking midfield before he got hold of Bruno. His #9 was moody Martial.
It is hard to get a team like United punching above its weight but that second place was more down to other teams having a poor season than anything very impressive from us. And our track record in cup competitions has definitely been below par, throughout his reign.

Ole’s certainly never achieved anything as impressive as taking a newly promoted side to a 7th place finish (twice in row) like Nuno did.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Absolutely laughable anyone thinks he’d get anywhere near a PL job. Will struggle to get a job in the championship.

Dominos

You do realise he's managing Manchester United?

I mean that 3rd place finish, another way of looking at it is he scraped top 4 on the final day of the season with a whopping 66 points, with Leicester City being level with us going into the final day. At Manchester United, you consider that punching above our weight?

He achieved the absolute bare minimum for not getting sacked in both his seasons, getting top 4 with low point totals, getting nowhere near the league, winning no trophies, failing to get out the CL group stages, and all achieved with horribly disjointed performances for the most part.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think so. I know a lot of United fans were in awe with him but from the outside it didn't look like he did anything of note. Will be surprised if he gets hired in any major league across Europe but who knows, he did landed the United job after all. :lol:

Ekeke

Yes 100% chance, if he wants it over a foreign one. Mid table team will take a punt, at worst a relegation scrapping team

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
At the end of the day, I don't see who would hire him and why.

Not because he's terrible, but because I don't ever see a PL club in need of a change considering "not terrible" a tempting feature for a potential hire.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It is hard to get a team like United punching above its weight but that second place was more down to other teams having a poor season than anything very impressive from us. And our track record in cup competitions has definitely been below par, throughout his reign.

Ole’s certainly never achieved anything as impressive as taking a newly promoted side to a 7th place finish (twice in row) like Nuno did.
Wolves are far from some impoverished relegation threat are they? They have a pipeline to the best of the rest Portuguese talent through Mendes and they were spending 35M on unproven attacking players. You could make the same argument that Arsenal and Everton were down in the dumps for wolves to capitalize. His collapse in their final season is about as dreadful as Ole this season.

You also cannot on one hand lament the structure Ole walked into at United and then criticize him for achieving what he did. The structure at Wolves or Leicester in terms of footballing hierarchy is far more refined than anything United have behind the manager.

wolvored

His biggest asset is hes a chequebook manager. He spent a fortune here in 5 transfer windows well over £400 million and won nothing. A semi final/final bottler. Always the bridesmaid... as the saying goes. So I cant see a money club employing him.
A 'littler' club that needs to rely on the youth and coaching wont employ him as hes stated he doesnt/cant coach. He doesnt promote enough youth either. Greenwood being the only one I can think of.
So on that, no, he wont manage in the Premier again.

Enigma_87

You know who
You are having a laugh. United spent the most since Ole took over. Punching above our weight?

Enigma_87

You know who
Yes 100% chance, if he wants it over a foreign one. Mid table team will take a punt, at worst a relegation scrapping team
He has zero respect from opposition fans, his track record with Cardiff speaks for itself. There aren’t many idiots that would look at him. Maybe Championship level side. Maybe.

Keefy18

I take it you missed those bits in recent memory where we watched teams slicing through us with 'like a knife through warm butter' being a generous metaphor :lol:. I don't completely throw out what you are saying, I am slightly in awe of what he managed to achieve by making the squad believe in themselves. Though, If I were the owner of any sort of pl club on a fraction of the man utd budget and with the merest possibility of relegation, I would look at those last games, and honestly I'd be absolutely fecking terrified!

My opinion obviously, respect for everyone elses. Hopefully this thread doesn't also become nasty!
No I didn't miss them at all, his time was up.

We still shouldn't ignore the work he done though here overall.

He oversaw a change in our transfer strategy, the hiring of a DoF & SD in Murtagh & Fletcher each, he worked well with youth and quite clearly a very good man manager as well as all the aforementioned work in my previous comment.

He was tactically naiive and lacked the ability to work with the squad he had built, that was his downfall.

Plenty of other managers in the league have their limitations too.

Only1Robbo

No, I feel that he was focused when he first came to United and did a great job of changing the atmosphere within the club. Sadly that didn't last because ultimately he's simply too nice and lacked the personality to make players feel uncomfortable but remain hungry to please him.
In his locker he doesn't possess an angry or authoritarian manner, which is needed, especially at half time, when the players need the hairdryer treatment.

Still a good man and a club legend and he did give us some special moments as a manager.

Keefy18

You are having a laugh. United spent the most since Ole took over. Punching above our weight?
So?

It was needed.

He very much did punch above his weight.

Pretty sure no one said he was good enough for the job so going from 6th to 2nd (and closer on pts to a title than any other post Fergie manager) with a EL final is very commendable.

Ekeke

He has zero respect from opposition fans, his track record with Cardiff speaks for itself. There aren’t many idiots that would look at him. Maybe Championship level side. Maybe.
I strongly disagree. He had no respect as a Manchester United manager. At a mid table club he wouldnt be

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Unless you expected them to win the league in any of the past seasons over Liverpool or City, what else was your expectations in terms of league position? I don’t understand looking at spending in isolation when he has had to do a pull it down and rebuild job by replacing the likes of Lukaku, Smalling, Sanchez, Young etc.

AaronRedDevil

Well David fecking Moyes got the PL/CL team to 8th place and destroyed the team which took till Ole to fix it. So yeah, I reckon he'd be fine.

wolvored

So?

It was needed.

Pretty sure no one said he was good enough for the job so going from 6th to 2nd (and closer on pts to a title than any other post Fergie manager) with a EL final is very commendable.
Are you Ole?

Waynne

Ole's not a terrible manager. He should be able to do well at smaller clubs but not elite giants of the footballing world.

All of the best to him. I can see him returning in an ambassadorial role.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I strongly disagree. He had no respect as a Manchester United manager. At a mid table club he wouldnt be
That's what you might think.

His 2nd place last season was due to Bruno saving the day (he was in the ropes last December), Chelsea stuck with Lampard for too long and Liverpool having their midfielders playing as center backs. He never showed any real consistency aside from that run after he was appointed for the first time, and his tactical knowledge is lacking, to put it mildly. He got an almost 1 Billion team, his team, repeatedly trashed when everyone expected a title challenge, with two of his most expensive signings permanently on the bench. He also didn't come across as particularly astute on the transfer market. So how would he fare in a club with much, much more limited budget and players in a cut-throat league? Why would any club in the PL take that risk?

His reputation as a manager in the PL, which wasn't great since Cardiff, took a tremendous hit from which he'll need years and a better CV to recover. If he wants to manage in England again, that is.

Bondi77

Wouldn't think so but he could be a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize!

Ekeke

That's what you might think.

His 2nd place last season was due to Bruno saving the day (he was in the ropes last December), Chelsea stuck with Lampard for too long and Liverpool having their midfielders playing as center backs. He never showed any real consistency aside from that run after he was appointed for the first time, and his tactical knowledge is lacking, to put it mildly. He got an almost 1 Billion team, his team, repeatedly trashed when everyone expected a title challenge, with two of his most expensive signings permanently on the bench. He also didn't come across as particularly astute on the transfer market. So how would he fare in a club with much, much more limited budget and players in a cut-throat league? Why would any club in the PL take that risk?

His reputation as a manager in the PL, which wasn't great since Cardiff, took a tremendous hit from which he'll need years and a better CV to recover. If he wants to manage in England again, that is.
Because other worse managers who have done even worse have been hired. So will he be

Ole himself got a premier league job before United, or Molde. He had done nothing.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I think going practical here might help this debate? It’s 29 November and….

Case 1: you own Burnley and have a mighty bust up with Dyche because of different opinions about surviving chances without relevant signings in January, so that you sack him with massive regret. Would you hire Ole?

Case 2: you own Leeds and Bielsa’s project has gone awry, players are massively fed up and relegation starts appearing a realistic outcome, without a clear address. Would you hire Ole?

Case 3: you own Brighton and Potter unexpectedly resigns to go to, say, Leicester because Rodgers is going to, say, … . Would you hire Ole?

Similar cases might be made for Championship clubs, if you like this game. Where the buck stops, then? Which club YOU own would do better by replacing their current manager with Solskjaer??

Hughie77

No he doesn't need to, with his pay off. And I don't think it would benefit him, a easier league maybe in Europe .

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
No I didn't miss them at all, his time was up.

We still shouldn't ignore the work he done though here overall.

He oversaw a change in our transfer strategy, the hiring of a DoF & SD in Murtagh & Fletcher each, he worked well with youth and quite clearly a very good man manager as well as all the aforementioned work in my previous comment.

He was tactically naiive and lacked the ability to work with the squad he had built, that was his downfall.

Plenty of other managers in the league have their limitations too.
The poll is a bit ambiguously titled. If it means ‘directly after this’ it’s almost certainly no imo.

But if it literally means after as in ever, I’d be tempted to vote yes. Because if there was one thing we should all know by now is that it is not a good idea to write off a supersub extraordinaire who saw innumerable, improbable comebacks as our manager.

I would dispute some of the ‘positives’ you cited though. Working with youth, so greenwood basically? Arguably best academy player in a generation. Who else? We saw sancho and dvb, two of the best youth prospects in the world get frozen out. Didn’t see Elanga or Diallo get a look in.

Good man manager to some players but relied on favourites and I can imagine there was tension within the squad.

Fair point other managers in the league also have limitations.

I still think combination of too nice / too tactically adrift isn’t a combination that would be tempting for many clubs, especially those working under threat of relegation and with small budget. Will be interesting to see what he ends up doing.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Fair point.
To be fair to him I think he would have happily traded a 20-year managerial career for 3 years at United, a club he genuinly loves, any day of the week. He's a smart guy, he was already stagnating at Molde and he definitely knew it could end like this. I can see him taking a break for a while, he has done a lot in his career already

Enigma_87

You know who
Every opposition fan was cheering Ole at the wheel, it has become a running joke. Without resources and being protected as a past legend he will get around couple of months to produce results. I can’t see him having the acumen to manage a lower placed PL side considering how competitive the league is.

but that is very, very small chance that will happen as there are hundreds of more talented managers around to challenge him for that position.

Enigma_87

You know who
Unless you expected them to win the league in any of the past seasons over Liverpool or City, what else was your expectations in terms of league position? I don’t understand looking at spending in isolation when he has had to do a pull it down and rebuild job by replacing the likes of Lukaku, Smalling, Sanchez, Young etc.
You pour half a billion, what should your expectations be?

the likes of Lukaku are sitting at the top of the table and in the meantime won Serie A.

if you change Ole with Klopp - same United/Pool team as of now, which one will be challenging?

Enigma_87

You know who
So?

It was needed.

If you mean he punched above his weight (managerial expertise) because he is a shite manager - sure. He managed to fool a lot of people for a lot of time.

on the other hand if you are Watford or Leeds in their current position in the table and looking at Oles resume - I wouldn’t touch him with a Bluetooth.. and I’m pretty sure most owners will think the same way.